Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i think an industrialised country with lots of money could make tractors in an emergency guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Farm Frenzy posted:

i think an industrialised country with lots of money could make tractors in an emergency guys

You would think, but look at the US and making simple cloth masks.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

the western states pact is gonna seize the herlong california tank depot and say that they are using them for military purposes, but secretly they will be working on modifications that turn them into tractors

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Farm Frenzy posted:

what if we had a "free american army" that actually just stole all the tractors all the time

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

You would think, but look at the US and making simple cloth masks.

keeping the corn flowing is more important than not giving all your friends and family a deadly virus

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Karl Barks posted:

TN, MS, AL, GA, SC, FL would be the absolute worst nation in the world lol

Good gently caress the south

Tulip posted:

Given their over representation among terrorists and soldiers, they'd stand a very real chance of dominating the rest of the union post-balk and ruling us like colonies.

nope, gently caress the south

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the neoconfederate cops and soldiers and terrorists would be way too busy doing ethnic cleansing and embezzlement to ever form a proper khanate

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Having good soldiers does not by itself typically make even a continental or regional superpower. They can shoot fine all they want, just like they did during the last civil war.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

wow maps

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I hereby rename this thread: Politically Loaded Maps - USA CSPAM Edition!

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Rah! posted:

wow maps

yeah this is the poo poo thats gonna matter most

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Good soup! posted:

Good gently caress the south

nope, gently caress the south

I don't think it's a good thing.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Map MegaThread

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tulip posted:

Given their over representation among terrorists and soldiers, they'd stand a very real chance of dominating the rest of the union post-balk and ruling us like colonies.

Dixieland has a built in insurgent population numbering in the millions with centuries of history of being terrorized, they need only be radicalized and equiped to destabilize a future neo confederate state

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Apr 29, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

Dixieland has a built in insurgent population numbering in the millions with centuries of history of being terrorized, they need only be radicalized and equiped to destabilize a future neo confederate state

Dixie land and especially the confederacy was a modern day Sparta. Especially the whole "we are better fighters" attitude but then getting wrecked in open battles by better organized enemies / former slaves.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Rah! posted:

wow maps

see this is why seattle is strongly positioned: huge amounts of hydro power and owns its own water supply, also has temperate climate, and access to water/shipping routes

feelin good

(except for all the white supremacist chuds surrounding us who would love an excuse to swoop in and murk all the libs..... and also all the corporations and billionaires who want to revert to feudalism)

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Rah! posted:

wow maps

Western United States, Eastern United States and Texas is how it will break down

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

I hereby rename this thread: Politically Loaded Maps - USA CSPAM Edition!

fukkin finally im gettin RRAL SICK of having to look at a d&d

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Pump 'n' dump the Florida dollar.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Tulip posted:

The Florida state government and I assume other southern states as well are incompetent as gently caress. Just absolute dog poo poo dumbass decisions all the time in a way that I can't even see being explained by some kind of corruption.

A lot of southern local governments would collapse immediately after giving all the city treasury to some traveling grifter

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Blockade posted:

The Florida state government and I assume other southern states as well are incompetent as gently caress. Just absolute dog poo poo dumbass decisions all the time in a way that I can't even see being explained by some kind of corruption.

A lot of southern local governments would collapse immediately after giving all the city treasury to some traveling grifter

Bitcoin laughs.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Rah! posted:

wow maps

Wait, why the gently caress are there long DC power lines running across the US?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mycomancy posted:

Wait, why the gently caress are there long DC power lines running across the US?

because it's better!

we have good tech to convert between AC and DC now, and its more efficient to send DC. Plus you don't have to worry about matching the 60hz phase of the different networks.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

me, dropping my bag of tiny minimalist cascadia chits and watching them get immediately picked up by the wind: oh jeez

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

because it's better!

we have good tech to convert between AC and DC now, and its more efficient to send DC. Plus you don't have to worry about matching the 60hz phase of the different networks.

I was under the impression that DC transmission leads to tremendous power loss as well as being dangerous, or is this just pro-Edison propaganda?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mycomancy posted:

I was under the impression that DC transmission leads to tremendous power loss as well as being dangerous, or is this just pro-Edison propaganda?

edison was on the dc side.

remember also, we use ac and our outlets kill people and those elephants that edison murdered for PR

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

edison was on the dc side.

remember also, we use ac and our outlets kill people and those elephants that edison murdered for PR

Lol welp looks like my brains rotted clear though, time for bed!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tulip posted:

Convincing argument for buying a gun.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

DrSunshine posted:

That's a good point.

Maybe both? Like an initial rush, followed by a long-tail rural backwave to fill labor demand?

People are already fleeing cities for rural areas, either their home towns or their familiar vacation locations. Fleeing to cities in a crisis is literally unheard-of in human history except in the very specific case of entering a walled city ahead of an incoming army. With the advent of strategic bombing, that case no longer exists.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
We'll see if that holds true once the utility companies stop maintaining lines out in the periphery just like PG&E did all this year, and the "state" (lol) does the same for roads and highways, and god knows what happens to the gas stations

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cities starve in a crisis.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

localized high speed rail systems would be REALLY useful for the balk

too bad we only have like, 2

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

not an endorsement posted:

localized high speed rail systems would be REALLY useful for the balk

too bad we only have like, 2

Regional Advisory CouncilThe People's Republic of Acela

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Which is why you are more likely to see industry return to cities.

Coming back to this part

Manufacturing in the US has been leaving cities for decades. Modern factories have gigantic footprints, and taking advantage of the incredible cheapness of rural American land has been a central part of modern manufacturing's business strategy. US manufacturing will likely get a lot less complicated in a balk event (F35 parts are spread across 45 states + PR), but if you want to take advantage of what we've got, you spread out.

Especially if the US logistics continue their truckward trend, which is quite possible if gas shortages don't happen.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

We'll see if that holds true once the utility companies stop maintaining lines out in the periphery just like PG&E did all this year, and the "state" (lol) does the same for roads and highways, and god knows what happens to the gas stations

That hits cities worse. Like I know you want to fantasize about making your grandpa suffer or whatever, but maintaining or even intensifying a population density of like 10,000/km^2 (NYC's population density) requires a LOT of complex supply chains and infrastructure management every single day. Sanitation in particular - if that falls off schedule by even a few days, let alone a few weeks, a dense city becomes uninhabitable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

fukkin finally im gettin RRAL SICK of having to look at a d&d

Baltimore would be a nice pickup but that would be a whole lot of nothing in New York

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

euphronius posted:

Baltimore would be a nice pickup but that would be a whole lot of nothing in New York

We just want a border with Canada for their weed.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

Tulip posted:

Manufacturing in the US has been leaving cities for decades. Modern factories have gigantic footprints, and taking advantage of the incredible cheapness of rural American land has been a central part of modern manufacturing's business strategy. US manufacturing will likely get a lot less complicated in a balk event (F35 parts are spread across 45 states + PR), but if you want to take advantage of what we've got, you spread out.

Most of that comes from none of the country's major metros meeting EPA ambient air quality standards, which then in turn mandates any new construction or expansion of plants in urban areas to use the best available air pollution mitigation technology possible.

Moving your production to bumfuck county removes this need, as does balkanization turning some urban American areas into modern day maquiladora cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

because it's better!

Tesla cry!