Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

No. What? No. WTF is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Moon Slayer posted:

No. What? No. WTF is that?

https://youtu.be/JxdDa0k-3Ak

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

DrakePegasus posted:

A and B are both correct, but let’s go with A.

I like this lawman, right up until he comes between us and Big Money. Nothing comes between the smuggler and the money.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What an underrated movie that was. Even if it was just Stargate again, and the whole "good thing the white people are here to teach this ancient culture about their culture" trope is very not great.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Moon Slayer posted:

: See? What did I tell you? It’s the captain from Rogun the Butcher’s bounty posting. Are we lucky or what?
: I never doubted you for a second, lover. You’ve always been my lucky star.

: Ugh, you two make me sick. Hold it right there, captain.
: Hey kid, is that a hairstyle or did a womp rat die on your head?

: Did you just ... what ... who do ... shut up!
: I’m actually over here.
: Come on you two. Let’s cremate this fool and get rich!
: Your friends have so much to live for. Why get them killed?
: Ooh, tough talk from a scum on the run. I’m not afraid of you. I’ve got a flamethrower!
: Ease off, Scorch. I have a bad feeling about this captain. He looks like more than we can handle.

: Not man enough for a real challenge? Don't know what you see in this guy, Egara.
: More than you could ever show me. Riloh, this bounty’s worth more money than we earn in a month.
: All right, lover -- but stay behind me. I don’t want you getting hurt over a lousy stack of credits.
: Wake me when you’re done.
: We’re done.

: Let's burn it up! Whooo!
: …

Man, am I the only one who got out of that fight by talking them into going after Skavak instead? Was trying to find a video of it, but everybody just attacks them. Had one of my favorite lines of all time for the smuggler too for the send off - "Remember kids, shoot to kill!" :D

quote:

A: I like Miel, he seems like a good dude.
B: gently caress the police.

Miel is entirely too nice to hate, cop or not, definite A here.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

That is a fun way to resolve that quest, but this was a more Jek thing to do.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 10: Due Process

quote:

Captain JEK TAMBO has tracked the nefarious scoundrel and starship thief SKAVAK to the Republic's chaotic capital world of Coruscant, which struggles to rebuild from the Sith Empire’s devastating attack during the war.

On a planet of a trillion inhabitants, where vicious gangs battle the overwhelmed government for control of entire sectors, finding Skavak will be impossible without making powerful new friends.

Hot on his enemy’s trail, the smuggler must pursue Skavak into a fortress-like city sector controlled by the oppressive JUSTICARS …

: This place makes me nervous, captain. Feels like we’re being watched by the Justicars.
: Yeah, no duh. They don’t like outsiders here, apparently. Well, no way to help it. Crowd in, Corso.

: These aren’t the first jack-booted thugs I’ve snuck past and I doubt it will be the last. Let’s go meet Darmas’ contact.

[Later, in an abandoned apartment …]

: The captain, right? About time you got here!
: Uh, hello to you too?
: Thanks to you the Justicars snagged my brother Jiik. Never should’ve tangled ourselves in your cloudhead business.
: Kid, I have no idea what you’re talking about.
: Typical cloudhead. Don’t know which way is up unless a turfer explains it. Listen hard and wise up! I’m Juul. My brother Jiik and I were watching Skavak for you. Big mistake. Nothing but trouble. Things always go bad for turfers when cloudheads come down here. Never should have took this job.

: Are you done berating me yet?
: I haven’t even started. You kept me worrying and waiting a long time.
: Hey, I had to sneak past a checkpoint just to get here! A little appreciation would be nice. Corso isn’t as easy to impress as he was when I first met him.

: Just shut up. Jiik and I were tailing Skavak when the Justicars came after us. Jiik stuck to Skavak. I drew the Justicars. I lost those helmet-brains easy but they snagged Jiik and hauled him off to their detention center!
: Why would the Justicars arrest your brother?
: I don’t know. Those lock-steppers make up the rules as they go. Jiik knows where Skavak went, but he didn’t have time to spill it to me before they snagged him. You want Skavak? Better prowl into the Justicar’s detention center and free my brother.

: Why can’t things be easy, just once?
: This is life in turfer land. Welcome to it. Once inside the detention center you have to bash all the Justicar droid-eyes. That’s how they track intruders. If those droid-eyes aren’t rubble the Justicars will know your face. You don’t want that.
: Are you making up more words? I’ve never heard of a “droid-eye” before.
: Whatever you call them; it’s tech that watches the hallways, okay?
: Cameras? No need, little lady. Cameras have nothing on me.
: Don’t just stand there goggling at me. Get Jiik out of that detention center before something happens to him!
: All right, geez!
: Take this holotransmitter with you. I want to talk to Jiik as soon as you free him.

[What follows is a good five minutes making my way through the map. The Justicar Sector is huge, and full of inconveniently placed mobs that require you to fight them to get past. At least it did before speeders were ubiquitous; now if you have a speeder with a high defense rating you can blow right past mobs and laugh as they ineffectually try to chase you down. But at this level I still got knocked off two or three times and had to fight. Content!]

: Never thought I’d be breaking into a prison. Because I have broken out of some. Remind me to tell you that story later.
: Will do, cap’n, I … oh no, more bodies?
: What?

: Ah … Hmmm. Well. This is unexpected.
: But good, right?
: We’ll see.

: Kira, take a note: when we wrap up this Tarnis business we gotta come back and mess these guys up.
: I’m a padawan, not a secretary, but I’ll add it to the list, after Black Sun and the Migrant Merchants’ Guild.
: Is that a Jedi? Wow!
: No! No wows.
: But captain, can we ...
: No. I know that Jedi. We’d better stick to the stealth field.

: All right, looks like this area is unguarded, lets …
: Upstanding citizen? Hello! Over here! Help me!
: What the …?

: Ah. I take it you met the Justicars.
: They are lawbreakers pretending to be peace officers. That is a severe offense under Statute 52974 of the Sullustan Criminal Code.
: I’ll be sure to let them know. What are you doing here?
: The fugitive Skavak ambushed me down here and fled. The Justicars interrupted my pursuit and demanded l surrender.
: Did you at least manage to wound him?
: Skavak and I exchanged fire without incident, unfortunately.

: I did not want to harm people who I believed were local authorities, so I surrendered and allowed the Justicars to bring me here. I became aware of my error when they put me in a cell.

: Might as well spring the little fella while we’re here.
: Skavak is getting away, upstanding citizen. I need you to release me from this cell immediately.
: Don’t worry. I won’t leave you in there.

: This is the second time you have come to my aid. I owe you a significant debt. I must re-arm and renew my pursuit of Skavak. Thank you for your help, upstanding citizen.
: I’m really not an upstanding citizen.
: You are too modest. Of everyone I have encountered on Coruscant you are by far the most upstanding. When I return to Sullust I will file a Form 453391 and request an offcial commendation for your actions today.
: Corso, nobody can know about this.

: I … I feel like my insides are coming out.
: On your feet, Jiik. Let’s get you out of here.
: Heh. You’re definitely not a Justicar. All they ever called me was “gutter scum.”
: Yeah, yeah. Hold that thought.

: Jiik? It’s me, Juul. Are you alright? What did those Justicors do to you?
: Hey sis. Knew you wouldn’t forget about me. Who’s the cloudhead?
: The captain that Darmas asked us to help. What happened when you followed Skavak? How come the Justicars snagged you?

: Saw something I wasn’t supposed to. You won’t believe this but I caught the Justicars trading supplies with the Empire.
: How could that be? It doesn’t seem possible.
: Some turfers think a few Imperials stayed behind after the war ended. I always thought it was just stories to scare the kids.
: Skavak and the Imperials were laughing about something. Not sure what. The Imperials took Skavak into the Works.
: “The Works,” huh? Then that’s where I’m going, too.

: Are you crazy, cloudhead? That place is like instant death. If Skavak dropped to the Works you may as well go home. You wouldn’t last five minutes.
: We’re pretty good. Bet we last ten minutes.
: The Works is nothing but toxic ruins and berserk droids. People who go down there don’t come back.
: If Skavak and the Imperials can survive down there so can I. And maybe Corso, too.
: :(
: Skavak stole my ship and I’m not letting him get away.
: You’re a lot braver than I thought. Or dumber. That ship must be something if you’re willing to die over it.

: I’d like to go home now. This is the worst party I’ve ever been to.
: Jiik, remember the tunnel we found? Crawl in and come to the warehouse. I’ll hide you from the Justicars.
: Great. I’m gonna smell like rancor droppings for a week.
: Take my holotransmitter from the captain before you leave. I’m not letting you out of my sight.
: Don’t be so dramatic. It was only a little torture.

Thanks for busting me out, captain.
: You did good, kid.
: Kid? I’m almost as old as you …
: Can we get going? There are too many names that start with J and I’m getting a headache.
: Good luck down in the Works, captain. You’ll need it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I forgot how literally this was "I'm sorry Captain, your spaceship is in another dungeon"

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Moon Slayer posted:

: I’m really not an upstanding citizen.
: You are too modest. Of everyone I have encountered on Coruscant you are by far the most upstanding. When I return to Sullust I will file a Form 453391 and request an offcial commendation for your actions today.
: Corso, nobody can know about this.

: How much for my silence, Captain?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

...Is the stealth field making Corso dumber?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

It wouldn't surprise me

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Skavak presumably had to park your ship somewhere. Why not just look at space docks?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Skavak presumably had to park your ship somewhere. Why not just look at space docks?

Coruscant probably has thousands of those.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

In universe explanation:

sweet geek swag posted:

Possible in game-universe explanations:
- It's parked in an instanced hanger.
- Skavak put the key in his inventory.
- Skavak put the whole ship in his inventory.
- Running through the spaceports is the most boring part of the game.
- Content!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Skavak actually stored your ship in the ruins of the Jedi Temple, who knew?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Imagine Skavak making friends with a Sith who'd trap him planetside, everyone seems to dig Jedi Temple ruins.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
: It's a giant death robot!
: It isn't attacking though, and it's too hard to strike with heavy weapons from a distance, so it's better to just leave it be.
: It's a giant death robot! And it's, what, 10 minutes from the freaking Senate?!?
: And we'll deal with it if that happens. Now stop dawdling and get back here.
: ..this is so dumb.
: We'll think of something later. For now-
: It isn't working for the Imperials, at least, so there shouldn't be too much immediate danger.
: -and our guest has just arrived.
: "Who the hell are you?"
: Not your concern. Hand over the data.
: "Die!"

: I'll be taking that disk now.
: Incidentally, when are you going to tell me about your sister, Dasher?
: Oh ho! Is somebody...interested?
: In someone who appears in none of your family records, but has somehow gained access to a number of sensitive channels to spy on us and talk to you? Very.
: Done your homework I see. When did you find out?
: We had to go through records of everything because of Tavus, even the trade channels. It wasn't long before I noticed that someone was forcing their way into the system at brief intervals, relying on the overall chaos of the system to hide.
: Well, you'll meet eventually. I can't say anything for now though; it's...complicated.
: ..fine, but I don't like being in the dark. I'm only backing off because the systems she uses aren't military.
: That's fine. Now let's go back to the good captain.

: drat fine work Havoc! With the network terminals locked down, the speeder traffic is secure. Now all that's left is pushing out those gangsters for good.
: There was some kind of encrypted message on the network. Looks like a recording.
: Let me see that... hmm.. it's an old Migrant Merchants' Guild code. Think I can decrypt it.. Here we go.

: You accepted our friendship, Senator Kayl -and credits. It's time you paid us back. All we want are the housing projects you promised our people. Now.
: Your people will have to wait their turn like everyone else. I owe you nothing. If you continue pushing me, l'l destroy you all.
: Ah poo poo.
: Your extortion attempt has failed. My people are pushing back your little army as we speak.
: Nobody breaks a deal with us, Senator, We'll have what we want, one way or another
: Senator Kayl and the Migrant Merchants' Guild are at war? That's what this was all about?
: This is way above my pay grade. I'm not destroying the reputation of Coruscant's most popular politician. Take the recording. I don't want it.
: The recording is criminal evidence. That's your department. The military is here to shoot bad guys, not deal with...whatever the hell this is.
: I think only the Republic military *can* deal with something like this. Anyone else is either too weak or too corrupt. Besides, you outrank me, and...this can't be what it looks like. Senator Kayl has done great things for Coruscant. She's a good woman. Give her a chance.
: ..death and damnation.
---later---

: How lovely to see you again. Any friend of Senator Kayl's is a friend of mine.
: Thank you, Minister. Can you give us a minute alone?
: Very well.

: Captain Winborn contacted me You thwarted an attack that would've killed thousands. You have my gratitude. Unfortunately, you also have a holorecording 0would like destroyed. Its contents will only cause harm.
: You've been lying to everyone, Senator. The only reason those gangsters attacked us was to get at you.
: I understand your anger, Lieutenant. But you need to understand-things here are complicated. My opponent in the elections was a vile man: lazy, stupid and corrupt. He wasn't interested in building, anly taking. I had to win. But I didn't possess as much wealth as he did. When those gangsters approached me, I accepted their "donation" -and I'd do it again.
:The people choose their leaders by popular vote. What difference did it make how many credits you had?
: Don't be naive. Wealth can purchase influence-and influence sways popular opinion. My opponent understood that too well, so I stole from those criminals to rebuild Coruscant for its people. Set things right, and bring the Migrant Merchants' Guild to justice. You hold the power to ensure my success. Let me finish healing this world Please destroy that recording.
: drat it all...fine.

*BEEP*

: You're all clear, Senator.
: ...
: Thank you. I won't forget what you've done for me-for Coruscant.
: If you need help making this world strong. I'll always be here.
: You're a true friend and patriot. I'll see to it you're properly recognized for your heroism in the old Galactic Market. Farewell.
: ..we need to go see Garza first.

: Ah. Lieutenant. I trust no more needs to be said about your work against the Migrant Merchants' Guild. Let's move on to your next target: the Black Sun. A powerful organization composed of Coruscant's most violent criminals. Black Sun has a wide network of sources providing them with the deadliest weaponry available, including a powerful nerve agent that they're selling to Tavus in bulk.
: Just what is this stuff capable of?
: I don't have the exact specifications on hand, but it's among the most deadly nerve gases in existence. You'll need to be cautious, but you'll have help: A SpecForce sergeant, Jaxo, has carried out some advance reconnaissance of Black Sun's headquarters. You'll rendezvous with her for a detailed plan of attack. We can't risk any of this nerve gas falling into Tavus's hands, Lieutenant. Use all necessary force. Dismissed.
: Yes sir.
---
---
---
: Alright. Go ahead, Aric.
: ..what the gently caress was that?
: You know what that was.
: Yeah, turning a blind eye to a corrupt senator who started a street war. Have you lost your mind?!?
: Maybe I have, because you apparently see a bunch of senators banging down the doors to help people living in literal debris, and I sure as hell don't. If she doesn't do it, I don't think any of them will.
: Yeah, help, like she helped the Guild asking for housing? Like she helped us when she lied to cover her own tracks?
: Telling gangsters who want to play slum lord to go gently caress themselves is a plus in my book.
: I didn't sign up to throw the Republic's ideals into the drat garbage! And those same ideals were what you swore to uphold!
: Oh yes, the Republic's ideals! Oh look, two Senators talking down the hall. I wonder what they could possibly be discussing?
: The war is over, the treaty holds, why aren't we stopping the Black Sun?
: It's not that simple. The Senate must balance many priorities...
: Oh, the Senate is making excuses for slavers, drug deals and murderers. Again! Thank goodness we at least we have our ideals!
: DON'T TWIST MY WORDS, DAMNIT! You think every other senator here doesn't have their own excuse for their bullshit?!?
: It sure as hell isn't going to make anything worse, and she did stab her shady donor in the back.
: So I'm supposed to just sit around and do nothing, hoping this all works out for the best?
: Pretty much, yeah.
: ..I'll be watching her. When she slips up, we're going to talk about this again.
: ..fine. Let's go deal with the Black Sun.

: Well, here we are. I don't know what's worse, having to take an F'ing TAXI to battle...

: ..or seeing public security get its rear end handed to it protecting said taxi service. Let's wax these guys and get moving.
*TEN MINUTES OF BORING WALKWAY LATER*

: Finally out of the drat catwalks.

: Chumps.

: This drat debris is creating a real slog.

: Finally looks like I'm getting close...should be right around here...

: Wow. You're the new Havoc CO? Must be my lucky day. I'm Jaxo. It's a real pleasure to meet you.
: It's good to meet you, too, Sergeant.
: Hope you're ready for some fun, Lieutenant. You've got your work cut out for you. Your highly enviable task is to destroy a cache of nerve gas canisters that the Black Sun syndicate is shipping to Tavus.The gas is called Trivoris. Scary stuff-one canister can cover a square kilometer, with one hundred percent fatality inside of ten minutes.
: Which means it's ten minutes of painful, agonizing death. How the hell did a Republic hero fall so far as to use poo poo like this... And how the hell did a street gang get nerve gas to begin with?
Dunno, but I'd say selling weapons grade nerve gas puts Black Sun well outside the "street gang" category. Lucky for us, it's pretty easy to neutralize Trivoris- at least while it's still in the canisters. The compound in this bottle renders Trivoris completely inert on contact. Just plug it into the canisters inside the Black Sun base, and the whole batch is history.
: Should I just leave the neutralized gas behind?
: Once the Trivoris is neutralized, it's useless-no need to retrieve it. General Garza said not to bother. You also have another objective. A few hours ago, a bright red case was moved into the Black Sun's base under heavy guard, if whatever's inside that case is valuable to Black Sun-it's bad news for us. So your job will be to find the case and bring me its contents.
: Consider it done.
: One last detail: Black Sun has signal jammers throughout their base, so General Garza won't know to send help if you get in over your head.
: I'Il be sure to stay alert, Sergeant.
: Just be sure that handsome face of yours makes it back in one piece. Once you've taken care of the Trivoris canisters and nabbed whatever's inside that red case, be sure to meet me back here to confirm the mission results. Good luck, Lieutenant.
---

: There it is. Let's get to work.

: Lot's of equipment.

: Why is the base so sparely guarded? Not many elites, bunch of old droids...did they seriously think no one would make a move on them?
: Must have thought being hidden would be better than being guarded. Not necessarily a wrong decision, but the fact that they aren't even trying to run off with the gas shows how badly overconfident the Black Sun are.

: Speaking of, here it is, in all it's war crime glory. Just need to link the agent to it with this hose and...done. This gas isn't even an irritant now. Now for the gun...

: Alright, I got the case. Let's go.
: Not going to take a look inside? Black Sun must have thought that weapon was pretty special.
: It's not the size of a Jawa, so no.
: Yeah, guess I should know better by now.
---

: Hey, you're back! Was the op a success? Were you able to neutralize the Trivoris?
: Mission complete.
: I wouldn't expect anything less from a man like you. How about that red case? Were you able to grab whatever was inside?
: The case contained this blaster, Sergeant,
: I've never seen one quite like it. Must be some sort of new prototype. I'll take it back to headquarters for analysis-maybe we can find out where Black Sun is getting their weapons. Looks like we're all done here. It's been a blast, Lieutenant. I hope we get to work together again sometime.
: Good day, Sergeant.
: See you around, Lieutenant.
: Not going to make a move, Dasher? She was obviously rather taken with you.
: I'll grant she's pretty, but dating subordinates just doesn't seem quite right. Wouldn't have time for it anyway, since Garza is about to call.
: Why do you think Gar-
: Come in, Lieutenant.
: Huh. Impressive.

: This is General Garza. A situation has developed with the Senate, and I need your help.
: What, need me to off a Senator who's taken one too many bribes from the Hutts or something?
: Absolutely not...tempting as it might be at times like this. Despite my best efforts, three members of the Senate Defense Committee have learned about Havoc Squad's defection, and they want to know the specifics. It's an "informal inquiry" for the time being. But you can bet it won't end there. I hate politics.
: drat bureaucrats; Tavus is building his defector army by the minute, and now we're going to get stuck playing "mother may I" with the Senate because they couldn't wait a few days for answers.
: I know, it's frustrating, but these bureaucrats control our funding and our jobs, Lieutenant. When they ask, we answer. The Senators have asked that you appear in their office at the Senate tower immediately to testify in the inquiry; I'm barred from influencing your testimony, but I will remind you that the more information that becomes public, the harder our job becomes.
: Are you telling me to lie to the Senate, General? 'Cause that's not happening. Much as I resent this, I'm not going to let some poor kid get killed leading on his first assignment because nobody told him the guys who wrote the book on spec ops warfare have turned it into a landmine.
: I never told you to lie, Lieutenant. That would be illegal. I have merely reminded you of a relevant fact. The Senators are already waiting for you. Hurry back to the Senate tower and try to get this over with quickly. Garza out.
: As if we didn't have enough problems already..
--

: Alright, here we are. Best leave the talking to me, Sergeant, they might force if you to sit things out if they learn about your relation with Tavus.
: ..right. Guess I'll stand to the side and watch your back...just in case.
: Good man.

: Lieutenant, make yourself comfortable. On behalf of the Senate of the Galactic Republic, I want to thank you for appearing on such short notice for this informal inquiry.
: I'm at your service, Senators.
: I assure you we will not hold you from your duties any longer than necessary, Lieutenant.
: The purpose of this inquiry is to investigate the defection of several members of Republic Army Special Forces squad number 326, code named "Havoc Squad," to the Sith Empire.
: Now, you recently served in Havoc Squad on Ord Mantell, Lieutenant, Is that correct?
: That's right, Senator. Though truth be told, "served" might be too strong a word, since we didn't ever actually fight together.
: Hmm... While serving on Ord Mantell, all of the members of Havoc Squad, excluding yourself defected to the Sith Empire. Is that correct?
: Yes, Senator. Tavus hid the presence of Imperials on the world, and then used that connection to escape via the Separatist stronghold. As our own forces were occupied taking the stronghold, nothing was in a position to intercept the Imperial shuttle.
: Now, did Commander Tavus or any of the other members of Havoc Squad show signs of, say, instability? Anger? Frustration?
: Yes, they were all pretty off-balance. Tavus himself didn't seem off, but one of them killed a POW in cold blood, and another was overly excited to commit medical malpractice. The other two seemed professional enough, at least.
: But the prior behavior was just...overlooked?
: A lot of things were overlooked. That's what happens when there's no authority to enforce law.

: Lieutenant, let us speak hypothetically: do you believe that anyone serving on Ord Mantell should have seen this situation coming?
: Which situation? The bomb? The war crimes? The Imperials smug-
: He refers to the situation in which your entire squad defected to the Sith Empire, and then you failed to aid a Senate investigation into the matter!
: Ah. Well, it was possible to see them going rogue, but that didn't mean we thought they would go work for the Sith. Maybe they'd have been more loyal if Spec Ops didn't have to buy our own gear?
: drat it, Dasher, be serious!
: I AM being serious. I had to buy my current gun with battlefield scavenging. I thought I was a soldier for the Republic, not a merc.
: ..If we don't receive satisfactory answers now, we'll have no choice but to open a formal investigation.
: Fine with me. Maybe you'll rethink Midrim policy when you see its results.
: I have one final question, Lieutenant: What connection, if any, exists between the events that occurred on Ando Prime and Havoc Squad's decision to defect to-
: Senator, I would remind you that the circumstances of Ando Prime are classified and occurred before the lieutenant's involvement in Havoc Squad. You may ignore that question, Lieutenant.
: Wait, Tavus said the Republic left Havoc to die on Ando Prime. Is that true?
: As I said, Lieutenant, that subject is classified, You needn't trouble yourself about it.
: (No matter, I can wait...bastards.)
: Your part in this inquiry is concluded. You may return to your duties now.
: Garza isn't going to like this.
: Good, maybe she'll learn that soldiers are more than their bodycount.
: Heh.
---
Sorry for disappearing, but work is..active, and I wanted to try my hand at a writing contest besides (it took all the time I had left; well, it and Mount and Blade.) There's another contest soon (I haven't learned my lesson,) but I think I can pace it better now.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 22, 2020

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

Space Ctrl+F "Shipname". Well, whatever.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I really liked that segment; lots of characterization for both Dasher and Jorgan.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Trooper is the storyline that really shows what a pile of poo poo the Republic is despite a lot of people working really hard to make it a nice place.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 12: Race to the Ruins

quote:

After successfully completing the Jedi trials on Tython, ALORA STARI has been sent by the Jedi Council to Coruscant to investigate a dark presence on the Republic capital world.

There, Alora discovered that Doctor Tarnis was actually a SITH LORD posing as a Republic scientist to gain access to classified weapons projects.

Tarnis fled to the ruins of the JEDI TEMPLE and Alora and Padawan Kira Carsen follow him, desperate to stop the Sith before he deploys the devastating Planet Prison …

: Wow.
: The Sith sure did a number on this place. Can't believe they got away with it.
: My greatest disappointment is that I wasn’t able to see this place in its prime. :(

[In the before-times, to get to the Jedi Temple you had to go through another map: The Works (as mentioned in the last Smuggler update!). There’s some throwaway dialogue in the last mission that I cut spelling this out. However, this was rendered unnecessary when they made all speeder points unlocked by default. And to be fair it never made much sense that you had to travel through the deep underbelly of Coruscant to get to the Jedi Temple instead of just, you know, flying there.]

quote:

Although the Jedi Temple was destroyed by the Empire during the Sacking of Coruscant, its ruins still speak of its former glory. After the temple was bombed in the initial attack, the upper floors were deliberately collapsed on Darth Malgus‘s orders. The Jedi Temple's tower, once a Coruscant landmark, broke free during the bombing and fell to the city's lower levels. The old Jedi Council’s chamber is the only room left largely intact but it is still considered dangerous and prone to collapse.

The Temple ruins have continued to see strife even after the Sacking of Coruscant. They were the site of a duel between Darth Malgus and the Jedi empath Aryn Leneer before Imperial forces were withdrawn from the planet. Exceptionally brave and lucky looters have also disturbed the ruins, hunting -- and often finding -- valuable Jedi artifacts.

: At least someone seems to be watering the plants?

[Also the Temple is crawling with Imperials, which doesn’t make too much sense and is almost definitely only because they needed to fill the area with some enemies. (There may be an explanation given in some dialogue that I’m just forgetting, though.) They should have just made the mobs looters instead of Imperials, IMO.]

: And here we go ...
: So what’s the plan?

: I’m departing Coruscant now, Father. The Planet Prison deploys in minutes. The Republic will have no choice but to surrender.
: You return to me as a hero of the Empire, my son. Our victory is complete.
: Okay, if we wait for him to finish talking while we take cover, we might …

: I wouldn’t count on that, gentlemen!
: ... orrrrr we could just rush in. Cool. Cool cool cool.

: What’s this, Tarnis? A loose end? For shame.

: Have you come to die, Jedi?
: I don’t die easily. Haven’t you figured that out yet? I’ve come to put an end to you.
: Fighting petty criminals is nothing. Now you face a Sith.

: Good.
: Uhh …

: Channel your rage, my son. Don’t let this Jedi steal your moment of triumph.
: Your blood flows through my veins, Father. I cannot fail.

: Ow ow ow ow ow!
: Ha! You’ve let your guard down, Sith!
: Blarg! *dies*

: And that, Kira, is how it’s done.
: Fantastic.
: Nice hair.
: Shut up. It’ll go back down eventually, right?

: Jedi filth … you’ve killed my son!
: Oh, right. These guys.

: She’ll pay with her life, my master. I swear it.
: You’ve no idea what you’ve unleashed, Jedi. There’s no place in the galaxy to hide from my wrath.
: I don’t fear you. Come find me whenever you like.
: I will inflict unimaginable suffering on your people. Billions will die because of you.
: Pff. Good luck, they’re all out in the Outer Rim somewhere.
: I think he means the Republic.
: Oh, right, duh.

: We already control your secret weapon facilities. All that power is ours, now.
: My son’s death will be avenged on the entire Republic -- and you will bow down before I let you die.
: You've clearly lost your mind.
: Tell your pathetic Masters that Darth Angral has returned. This time, there will be no mercy.
: Who?

quote:

A militaristic and maniacal Sith warlord famous for his brutal tactics, Darth Angral led the Imperial fleet that sacked Coruscant during the last war. Angral personally executed the Supreme Chancellor and was preparing to force an unconditional surrender when the Emperor unexpectedly signed a peace treaty with the Republic.

Darth Angral was furious to see his victory dissolve into a protracted and unresolved cold war. Although his success on Coruscant opened a path to the Empire’s fabled Dark Council, Angral abandoned Sith politics to pursue a private agenda. He spent years after the war consolidating a significant power base.

The culmination of Darth Angral’s plans to finally destroy the Republic unraveled on Coruscant when his son Tarnis was exposed as an undercover Sith infiltrator and killed by Jedi. Seeing his only son cut down drove Darth Angral over the edge, setting him on a path to utterly annihilate the Republic or die trying.

: Such a charmer. I miss him already.
: Nice. Also, I think one of us probably you or Tarnis hit the Planet Prison during the fight.
: Eh. The Planet Prison is officially scrap metal. Looks like we saved Coruscant.
: Bringing my total of saved planets up to two.
: Uh … huh.
: Couldn’t have done it without you, Kira.
: Much as I’m enjoying these toxic ruins, maybe we should get back to the Senate tower?

: Ha! “Toxic ruins.” That’s a good one. Because this place is the past, and we’re the future. Nice metaphor.
: Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

: No one saw this coming, Master SateIe -- not even the Jedi Council.
: We sensed it for weeks, General. If you’d told us of your secret project, we might have averted this disaster.
: Yes, well … uh …

: Here she is -- the hero of Coruscant. Glad to have you back.
: Coruscant is safe, but I had to kill Tamis. The Planet Prison was also wrecked.

[Twice the dialogue makes mention of the Planet Prison being destroyed, but this is never actually shown. After the fight in the Temple you just interact with a keyboard on the holotable. I have adjusted the dialogue accordingly.]

: Yes, we’ve heard. We also know Tamis was the son of Darth Angral.
: Republic comm channels are being flooded with threats from that maniac vowing Revenge.

: It seems the Empire has abandoned our treaty.
: The Empire has formally disavowed Darth Angral's actions, saying he’s gone rogue. It’s a lie, but the Senate refuses to authorize a military response.
: For good reason. Neither the Republic nor the Jedi are prepared for another war. We would lose. Billions would die.

: Have either of you faced this man before? I don’t know him.
: Darth Angral personally led the forces that sacked Coruscant in the last war.
: He was furious when the Emperor signed the treaty. Looks like he’s back to finish what he started.

[The game is assuming that you didn’t read that codex entry quoted earlier. Alerts for new codex entries pop up -- usually right after a cutscene or when you enter a new area -- on the top of your screen and fade after a few seconds. After it fades you have to go into the menu to find it, which I suspect not a lot of people do.]

: And if the enemy turns our weapons against us, billions will die. Tarnis transmitted details of all our top secret projects to his father. We traced that transmission to the planet Ord Mantell. Darth Angral must have a base there. I need you to find it.
: If we catch him in his lair we could end this crisis right now.
: I doubt Angral’s on that world, but his spy network certainly is.
: Master Orgus senses greatness in you, and so do I.
: :smug:
: This mission is yours.

: I’m going too. Master Kiwiiks left me here to help.
: Agreed. Take Kira. Train and protect her like she’s your own padawan.
: It’s an important responsibility I won’t take lightly.
: Aww. We’ll get to know each other -- it’ll be nice.
: I must inform the Council of these developments. Travel safely, young Jedi. May the Force be with you.

: All I’ve ever wanted was to protect the Republic. l was stationed here when the Empire attacked Coruscant. Saw the Jedi Temple destroyed. All those padawans and masters cut down … I started these weapon projects in their honor.
: Good intentions won’t stop Darth Angral.
: I already have one of our best starships waiting for you at the spaceport.
: My … own ship?
: Your astromech droid is prepping it for takeoff.
: Oh, right, I was wondering where Teeseven was.
: There’s civil war on Ord Mantell. It’s a no-fly zone. Dock at the orbital station there and contact me. Good luck.

[At the spaceport …]

: Coooool.

: My new master at last. I am Seetoo Entoo, steward of this vessel. It is my extreme good fortune to serve you.
Fetch a vibromop, droid. I want this ship to sparkle.
: Of course, master -- custodial duties are only one of many vital functions I possess. C2-series droids represent the latest advances in everything from starship technical maintenance to nutritional advice tailored for your specific organic needs.

: Welcome aboard this Corellian Defender-class light corvette. It was custom-built to offer a Jedi both first-rate combat performance and meditation amenities. Do you have any questions, master?
: Prep the ship for flight. We’re leaving shortly.
: The ship is fueled and ready, master. There are just a few final points we should review first.

: Ugh, what do I push to skip through this dialogue. Is there a button on your neck brace?
: No, master. As you can see, I am not equipped for physical danger. My function is to maintain this starship as your home away from home. I am happy to assist you with any non-hazardous task, of course. I pride myself on the utmost attention to detail.
: Hmm … add a little armor, some combat protocols, and a blaster and you just might be worth something.
: Master, please … any non-factory modification will void my warranty.
: That’s fine, I’ve already got a droid that shoots at my enemies.
: Yes, I have met him already. Aside from his incredibly foul mouth, I think we will get along well. Whenever you are ready to depart, consult the galaxy map on the bridge. The ship’s computers will handle the rest.
: Well then, let’s get going.

: The galaxy isn’t going to save itself.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I was one of the dumbos who would take the steward droid into combat for funsies.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I know MMO scaling tends towards the absurdly gigantic but the interior of that ship makes no drat sense

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Psion posted:

I know MMO scaling tends towards the absurdly gigantic but the interior of that ship makes no drat sense

It's designed to the scale of the camera's viewpoint when running around, not the avatar. Everything, everywhere is like this in SWTOR, from the warehouses to the starports.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I was one of the dumbos who would take the steward droid into combat for funsies.

There's even achievements for killing 100, 1,000, and 2,500 enemies with the droid as your active companion!

At launch, the steward droid (which all classes get) was a basic healing companion, but considerably weaker than the healing companion you would eventually get. Now that companions can do all three roles, though, and equipment doesn't matter, I'm pretty sure the steward droid is a perfectly legitimate companion to use.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Scrub tier Sith lords not force choking through a hologram. Tsk tsk tsk.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

look at this smug motherfucker!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

----

: First, let me congratulate you for your work on the Black Sun operation. You did well, disabling that nerve gas. Also, that prototype blaster you confiscated will teach us a great deal about the Black Sun's sources.
: Whoever the Black Sun's sources are, they're good.
: And whatever you hoped to achieve with your Senate testimony, you certainly didn't make my job any easier.
: It's my duty to tell the Senate the full truth.
: Our top operators have defected to the Empire. That should be a much larger concern to you than playing it safe with a pack of bureaucrats. On to more pressing issues. My agents have discovered a vital new link to Havoc Squad here on Coruscant. Jek Kardan, the founder of Havoc Squad and Commander Tavus's former mentor, has been spotted on the city's lower levels. He's serving as an officer in a local vigilante group.
: Is Kardan tied in with the defection, General?
: Kardan resigned his commission and disappeared after the debacle on Ando Prime. If he's turned up now, it can't be a coincidence.
: Tavus told me that Ando Prime was the reason for Havoc's defection. What the hell happened on that planet?
: We sent Havoc to Ando Prime to cut off an Imperial offensive, but the enemy numbers were much higher than intel had led us to believe. When we tried to dispatch an extraction team, the Senate shut down the entire operation. We were "causing an incident" and "breaching the peace." Bureaucrats. Havoc was left with no support and no way home. But in spite of insurmountable odds, Kardan led Havoc out of there alive.
: That doesn't make any sense; if the Empire was the one attacking, why would the Senate defy it's sole obligation to the Republic planets?
: ..I don't know. They're probably just all cowards.
: Then what happened when the squad got back?
: Kardan resigned as soon as he learned the truth, and Tavus took over the squad. They were never quite the same. What is important now is that we've discovered Kardan's location. I want you to bring him in at all costs.
: You don't want me to take Kardan out?
: If possible, I'd like you to capture Kardan alive. If he is involved in the defection, he could provide us with invaluable intelligence. The vigilante group Kardan is working with is called the Justicars' Brigade. They control a large area of Coruscant's lower levels and are openly hostile to all outsiders.
: The lower levels are thousands of floors deep; how much of that can they possibly control?
: They're very popular on the lower levels or rather, the levels still high enough not to be outright toxic, by keeping the peace where tho Republic won't. But make no mistake-the Justicars are no friends to the Republic, and many are ex-soldiers to boot. It shames me, but many took pages out of the Empire book, and are now forcing everyone who can hold a gun to enlist, even kids. Our surveillance shows that Kardan spends most of his time in the Justicars' main base, but we have no idea what he's really do. We had assumed training, but...anyway, you will capture him there. Kardan is a crucial link to Tavus and the rest of the Havoc traitors, Lieutenant, so Bring. Him. In. No matter what it takes.
: Yes, General.
: And take some explosives with you; it can't hurt to blow up some of their caches while you're down there.
---

: Well, here we are. If I have to take one more fuckin' taxi to battle...
: You'll bear with it, unless you have the money for a speeder.
: Bah.

: drat, the Justicars have really close this place down tight. To the extent you can lock down debris, anyway.

: They even have their own overgrown attack hounds.
: Helps them lock everything down; if people can't move around, the other gangs have a harder time getting a foothold.

: Some attack robots too.
: ..nothing special though.

: ..speaking of special, holy hell.
: I don't know why a glorified street gang needs a crane that massive, but I'd guess they're moving some serious hardware.
: We'll deal with it later. We need to press on before our target runs.

: We going through the front door?
: drat right.

: Can't we try sneaking through for once? We can get some stealth equipment and slip through a slide door or something.
: I've considered it, but it's actually safer to brute-force jam their comms and just attack too fast for them to form a line of defense. With Stealth Fields, jamming will warn them something is up and get them to set up a stricter defense, so you have to leave the comms be and just not get caught; if you are, they'll surround you and win through attrition. With my way, they don't even know if an army or a squad is attacking, so they can't set up a good response: by the time they learn which it is, we're already in control of their HQ.
: That's...better thought out than I expected.
: With that settled, let's breach!

: GO GO GO!

: You listen to me, Kardan. Helping you has already put my operation at risk. You will do exactly as I say, when I say, or-

: Or you'll what, Captain? I'm not one of your lock-stepping drones-this part of the op is mine. End of discussion.
: How dare you-
: Intruders!

: Put those blasters on the floor, soldiers. Nice and slow.
: Imperial soldiers. So you are a traitor, just like Tavus and the others.
: You're going to pay for what you've done, Kardan. You, Tavus-everyone.

: Not going to happen, soldier. Now drop that weapon before- A Havoc badge? Is this a joke? No, no-you must be the new recruit Tavus told me about. So you survived after all.
: Obviously.
: Can't say I'm surprised, honestly. Havoc always did recruit the best.
: You don't have to do this, Kardan.
: You are persistent, soldier I'll give you that. I'm even impressed-I didn't think the old lady would send someone after me so quickly. Even after all these years, Garza still hasn't lost her edge.
: What are you waiting for, Kardan? Kill the whelp! Or do you lack the true resolve to fight for the Empire?
: My loyalty is to Tavus. Not to your Empire, and not to anyone else. You want the trooper dead, you take care of it. I don't kill good soldiers. I'm heading down to the Works to make sure everything is prepped.

: ..You won't escape me for long, Kardan.
: Do yourself a favor and die now, soldier-before you get in any deeper over your head.

: Pathetic. As usual.
---

: Come in, Lieutenant. Is it my imagination, or were those Imperial soldiers you just fought?
: No mistake, sir. These were Imperial commandos.
: drat...Imperial soldiers, in uniform, operating on the lower levels of Coruscant-and Republic security knows nothing about it. Incredible. We need to learn more about this link between the Justicars and the Empire. If they're hosting our enemies, they might have some useful information for us.
: Shouldn't I be chasing Kardan, sir?
: drat right, but first, we need to know where exactly Kardan has gone before you can pursue him. All the more reason to search the Justicar base for information. Surveillance shows that the Justicars have their primary computer terminal in that base. Find the necessary access card and activate that computer terminal. My technicians can then slice in and uncover everything the Justicars and Imperials have been up to.
: I'll take care of it immediately.
: Good. Garza out.
--

: Good work, Lieutenant. My technicians are accessing the Justicars' files now. Patrol schedules, supply manifests, prisoner records-ah! Kardan, you...I think we've found what we were looking for, Lieutenant. You have a new target.
: Just name it.
: Kardan had the Justicars work with the Imperials to hijack and rebuild an abandoned Republic communications relay, down in an industrial area called the Works. Apparently, Tavus and his followers are using this relay to route all of their interplanetary communications. If we destroy it, the traitors will be completely cut off from one another.
: Why would the traitors depend on equipment like this?
: They obviously can't rely on Republic channels, and Imperial frequencies would be useless because we could trace their source. Tavus and his followers need this relay to keep us from overhearing their comm traffic. It's critical to their operations, which makes destroying it critical to ours. Do you have the explosives on you?
: Yes ma'am.
: Save those explosives for the Comms instead; there's a side tunnel to the works in that very base, Kardan tried to block it with a bomb, but we sliced the timer, so you can move through before it blows if you run.
: ..seriously?

: Seriously. And one last thing: Kardan didn't seem to mesh with the Imperials. I don't think he's as convinced of their supremacy as his proteges are. You're sure to find him guarding that comm relay. Kill him if you have to, Lieutenant, but try to persuade him to surrender peacefully first.
: What can I do to convince Kardan to come in?
: Kardan's only concern is the safety of the former Havoc members. He may not be loyal to us, but he isn't loyal to the Empire, either. Convince him that it's in the best interest of Tavus's and the others for him to surrender. That's the best way to sway him.
: And it's the truth besides.
:: Right
, Kardan could help us convince everyone to surrender peaceably. Make him see that, otherwise we're only going to kill them all. Now start running, you don't have much time!
---
:
: Well, we made-
BOOM

:
: ..it. Hopefuly Jek doesn't know we're here.
: At least we can dream.

: He must have hacked the droids to slow us down.
: Actually, they've been like that since the war.
: You can't be serious: they've let KILLER DROIDS run around critical infrastructure for decades?
: Yep.

: Why are all our leaders either stupid or insane?
: Because everyone who gets things done is on the ground.

: Man, I'm never going to make general am I?
: No-ope.

: Hang on, I can slice this to track him through all the wrecked droids...yeah, there you are Jek. You just wait a little bit longer for me...
: *cracks knuckles*

: Imperial Guards. We're getting close.

: There they are. Ready Jav?
: *cracks knuckles* Bet we could cripple him from here. Should I take the shot?
: Better idea. Let's take out his reason to fight first.

: That's right, baby. Have all the bomb you want.

: What the hell was that?!?
: ..the sound of defeat.

: Hmph. Still alive, huh? You really should've gotten out of this while you were ahead, soldier. Now, you're a risk to Tavus and the rest of my people. So, Havoc Squad or not, I'm going to have to kill you.
: You always have a choice, sir, and you know that begging the Empire for scraps is the wrong one.

: I've made my choice. Tavus, Wraith, Needles, Gearbox, Fuse. they're like my children. And I abandoned them. I resigned and left them to fight alone, just to make a point. They need my help now more than ever. I'm not going to abandon them. Not this time.
: I'm not doing this because I want them dead, sir. If you want to help your people, help me bring them in alive.
: What, so Garza can have all their heads and be done with it? I don't think so. I know you're trying to get into my head, soldier, but it's not going to work.
: Look, the longer they stay in the Empire, the more danger they're all in: the Sith regard non-force users as little better than slaves.They'll gladly order Havoc to run through a mine field, if it means beating another Sith Lord to some trinket by a few hours. You know that's true: it's why they faltered in the war despite having a society built for it.
: ..All I know is that you're really trying my patience, soldier. I don't even understand what you're trying to convince me of, here. I'm trying to keep my people alive, and it's your mission to kill them. That's all there is to this, soldier.
: Bantha poo poo! I'm trying to save them, not kill them!
: Not sure if I buy that. But then again, it she sent you to kill me, we wouldn't still be talking. would we? Why are you willing to go so far?
: I want Tavus to tell everyone the truth: that the Empire promised him the moon, then had him digging for scraps amongst the gangs of Coruscant. I want everyone to know that the shiny exterior of the Empire is nothing more than the facade that it is. You know I'm right: just ask the soldiers here what the Empire's extraction plan for them is.
: We gladly sacrifice our-!
: Lives, yes, just like Tavus was told to by the Republic. Thing is, that's the reason he left, and the Republic is ashamed of that. What does the Empire think of doing the same?
: We...we don't need...

: ..You've already wrecked the relay. Even if we take you out, it's only a matter of time until Garza has this place slagged for a klick in every direction. And by now, Garza will know exactly where all of the defector bases are. They'll be tethered banthas, cut off from each other and all-
: Excuse me, sir, but we should be-
: The Imperials might offer help, but it won't be much. They'll all be left to die.
: Tavus and the others will follow your lead. If you come in peacefully, I think they will too.
: drat... I can't believe it's come to this.
Sir?
: All right, soldier. I'll go along with this. But if you harm a single one of my people, you will be dead within the day. Understood?
: ..sir.
: Let's get on with this, soldier.
: I can't allow you to go into enemy custody alive, Kardan.

: Are you still here? The op's over, people. Finished. Mission failed. So get out of here, while you've still got the legs to carry you.

: You leave me no choice, sir. Ready your weapons, men!

: Hmph. Reminds me of old times. Here's my weapon-consider me surrendered. I'll make my way up to the Senate tower and turn myself in. See what Garza wants to do next.
: I'm glad to have you back on our side, sir.
: I never said I was on your side, soldier. I'm doing this for my people, not for your Republic or anything else. Anyhow, I'm sure we'll meet again.
: ..still, I'm glad I had a chance to fight with you, sir.
: Yeah, I guess it was nice to finally stretch my legs out for a bit. See you topside, soldier.
---
I feel really bad for the Imperials here; they just get bulldozed over and die without doing a drat thing.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 26, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Jek" is the Star Wars universe's equivalent of Mohammad, as in it's the most common surname.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

It's a good name. Clearly a space fantasy name, but not the mouthful of nonsense most Star Wars character names are.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Chapter 11: Race The Devil

quote:

Captain JEK TAMBO has tracked the nefarious scoundrel and starship thief SKAVAK to the Republic's chaotic capital world of Coruscant, which struggles to rebuild from the Sith Empire’s devastating attack during the war.

On a planet of a trillion inhabitants, where vicious gangs battle the overwhelmed government for control of entire sectors, finding Skavak will be impossible without making powerful new friends.

Skavak’s trail has led into the deepest ruins of Coruscant, where revenge and the smuggler’s stolen starship are finally within reach …

: Can’t believe we’re actually going down in the Works. Skavak better be down here!
: I’m sure it’s not as bad as everyone has made it out to be.

: Nope, I was wrong. It’s exactly as bad as everyone has made it out to be.
: Are those maintenance droids armed? Why would they be armed!?

quote:

Impressive as Coruscant’s shining towers are, they could not exist without the less-glamorous Works, the heavy industrial complex deep below in the lower levels. The Works is home to Coruscant’s hydrosupply stations, pollution-processing plants, and electrical generators, staffed by droids who can survive accidents in the Works’ dangerous machinery.

Some of Coruscant’s more desperate homeless hide in The Works, tapping the pipes for water and sleeping under the power conduits to keep warm. Occasionally they will break a major pipeline, causing blackouts and water shortages on the levels above. One Senator, while demanding harsher penalties for vagrancy, found his water supply mysteriously cut off forty times in a month.

[Some time later …]

: Voices up ahead … I think it’s them!

[How did Jek know where exactly to find Skavak in the whole entire Coruscant underworld? Uh, just ignore that plot hole …]

: The Murustavan Ruby. It’s even more exquisite than I imagined. This will be the perfect centerpiece for my gift to the Grand Moff.

: I’m sure it’ll earn you a nice fat promotion. Maybe the Grand Moff will finally let you go home to Dromund Kaas?
: Watch your tone, Skavak. My agent is standing by at the spaceport, ready to deliver the item. You have someone ready to receive it?
: There’s a twitchy little starship merchant named Fabizan in my docking bay. He’ll accept my payment.

: Lieutenant, transmit the signal. I don’t know what you want with that grotesque trophy, Skavak, but it’s all yours now.
: You need any other priceless relics, commander, just let me know.

: Sorry I’m late to the party, boys. Traffic was crazy. Where’s my ship, Skavak?
: Wha … Is it too much to ask that someone guard the entrance to our secret base!? Skavak, is this some sort of trick?
: Captain. Seriously, I admire your persistence, but this is ridiculous.

: Skavak, is this … thing … a friend of yours?
: No, but you know aliens, commander. Always popping up where they don’t belong.
: Wow, Darmas was right; you are a racist.
: You’re going to be a floor stain when we’re done with you, Skavak.
: Corso, heard about your job. Don’t let unemployment make you bitter, all right? You the one who fouled up my identity record and sent half the galaxy chasing me? That wasn’t very nice, captain.

: It’s the least I could do for you, old pal. Where’s my ship?
: You know, holding on to anger like that will give you health problems. I understand you’re upset; it’s a very nice ship. But you’re taking things way too far. Was it necessary to tell every woman in the civilized galaxy I have Bothan Nether Rot? That’s just low.
: Necessary? No. Hilarious? Very yes.
: Enough of this. The captain is your problem, Skavak. Deal with it.
: Yeah … Commander, would you mind vaporizing the captain for me? I’ve got places to be …

: Skavak! Blast that scoundrel. Always leaving me to clean up his messes …
: You could just let me go kill him for you.
: Tempting, but no, and I’m afraid you won’t be leaving here either. We’ll give you a very nice unmarked grave.

[Why did Jek just let Skavak run off like that? Uh, ignore that too …]

: Attention, Imperial lawbreakers! You are in violation of Statute 1983 of the Sullustan Criminal Code. Drop your weapons and surrender the gem!
: Who do you think you are giving me orders? You’re as good as dead, you alien filth.

: Just what I needed … Officer Chatterbox is here to save the day.
: Imperials, you are guilty of smuggling and crimes too numerous to mention. Do not make things harder on yourselves by resisting arrest! I have already disabled your comlinks and cut you off from any reinforcements! Drop your weapons now!
: Spare me your false heroics. Men, kill this alien scum!

: Well, that was bracing. Look, Miel, I think Skavak might have gotten away with the gem, but … Miel?

: Miel!

: I … I do not think I will be filing any more reports ...
: Why didn’t you let me handle those Imperials myself?
: It was my duty as a member of the Sullustan Constable Brigade to apprehend the lawbreakers. I am unable to maintain pursuit of Skavak. You must go on without me.
: We’ll get you to a kolto tank …

: It is too late for that. Find Skavak. Bring him to justice … for me …
: Blarg! *dies in Sullustese*
: Poor little guy. He didn’t deserve to go out like this.
: There goes the third bravest idiot I know, after the two of us. :(
: Okay, moment’s over. Skavak said a starship broker named Fabizan would accept his payment at the spaceport. If he doesn’t have my ship he might know who does. Let’s go!

: Darmas said Fabizan is registered owner of this hanger. Locked?
: Pff, with the default encryption. I’ll get us in in two seconds, tops.

: Excuse me, but in case it wasn’t obvious by the locked door you sliced through, this is a private docking bay.
: Three words, pal: Where’s. My. Ship?

: I don’t know you, and I sure don’t have your ship. But Skavak said there might be a troublemaker or two dropping by. He paid extra for security to take care of it. Boys, like the man says, the customer is always right. You know what to do.

: All right, all right! I get it -- you’re tough! Don’t hurt me. I’m not armed. I’m just a starship salesman!

[This is a lie, as you can see above. Fabizan is an elite enemy, clearly has a blaster on his hip, and actually killed me once because I was focused on trying to get screenshots instead of playing good.]

: For the last time … where’s my ship!?
: That mean machine Skavak brought to Coruscant? I’ve been taking really good care of it! Listen, all the cargo is still on board. Even had it detailed. No harm done, right?
: Not yet, but you owe the captain something for all his trouble.
: Yes indeed, thank you Corso.
: I could give you a nice engine upgrade and charge it to Skavak’s account. Interested?

: As long as Skavak’s paying, I’m buying.
: It’s nice to have friends with money, isn’t it. I’ll get right on it. All your cargo is accounted for and waiting in the hold, even the special stuff. You’re gonna let Fabizan scoot along now, right? I’ve got other business far, far away from here.
: Beat it before I shoot you, too.
: May this ship bring you many fine years of service. If you encounter any problems, please contact the manufacturer. I’m out of there. Thanks for not killing me!

: Hello, darling. Daddy’s home.
: Ew. I do not like how you just said that.
: Too bad.

: Now what’s this cargo Fabizan was talking about? The blasters?

: Uh … hello?
: I’m taking a wild guess that my life just got a new kind of complicated.

: Funny, I don’t remember leaving a beautiful woman in my cargo hold. Must be my lucky day.
: Depends on your definition of “lucky.” My name’s Risha. I’ve been travelling with Skavak as part of a business arrangement. He and I had a deal to deliver the things you see here.

: None of this stuff looks like cargo to me. And is that a severed head? I guess that’s the “grotesque trophy” Skavak bought from the Imperials. And this droid must be the one he grabbed from the Ord Mantell separatists.
: Very unique items intended for very unique buyers. Skavak was going to deliver this cargo, but he’s proving unreliable. I think you might be a much better partner.
: Let’s hear your offer, and we’ll see.
: My offer is simple: I make you filthy rich. It’s a pretty straightforward business model.

: What do you know … that’s Skavak on the ship’s holo. This should be an interesting conversation.

: You’re late, Skavak, and I just made a new friend. I think you two will loathe each other.

: Congratulations, captain. You’re officially number one on my list of people to kill. When I get my hands on you, you’ll wish you never left Ord Mantell.
: Can’t kill what you can’t catch, Skavak. And you don’t have a ship.
: Plenty of ships to steal on Coruscant. I’m sure I’ll find something fast and deadly. Don’t know how you got away from those Imperials, but next time I’ll kill you myself. Assuming Rogun the Butcher doesn’t get you first. I sold all those blasters you were supposed to deliver for him on Ord Mantell. Can’t imagine he’ll be happy you lost them.

: I’ll work something out with Rogun, don’t you worry.
: Nobody “works things out” with Rogun the Butcher. I suggest you enjoy what’s left of your life.

: Are you done posturing, Skavak? The captain and I have cargo to deliver.
: Don’t even think about cutting me out of this deal, Risha!
: “Finders keepers.” Isn’t that what you always say? Not my fault the captain here beat you to the big prize.
: Sweetheart, you two just made the biggest mistake of your lives.

: Thought that blowhard would never switch off. So, we were discussing how I can make you fabulously wealthy.

: The items here are pieces to a key. A key that unlocks the lost treasure of a very rich dead man named Nok Drayen.
: Ah yes. Nok Drayen. Of course, I know who that is. But maybe you should explain for Corso. I’m sure he can hear us from wherever he went.
: Somebody say my name?

: :rolleyes: Nok Drayen was the greatest gangster who ever lived. He personally wiped out the Rath Cartel and the Vandelhelm Combine during the Syndicate Wars. When he died ten years ago, Nok had more wealth than some Outer Rim worlds. Even the Hutts were jealous.
: And what happened to Nok’s fortune after he died?

: Now we’re getting to the interesting part. He hid his fortune right before he died. For ten years treasure hunters across the galaxy have searched for it in vain. Until now. You see, I’ve finally figured out how to get the lost riches of Nok Drayen.

: You’re my new best friend, Risha.
: That’s sweet, but let’s try to keep this professional for now. Whoever gets Nok’s riches will become an underworld legend. Skavak had his chance and blew it. Now it’s your turn. Help me deliver these things in your cargo hold, and Nok Drayen’s wealth will be all yours.
: What are you getting out of this?

: I’m after something personal. The money doesn’t mean anything to me, captain.
: Money … doesn’t mean anything? … I’m confused.
: I’m the only one who can help you trade these items to get Nok Drayen’s treasure, but I won’t tell you everything up front. To get the riches, you trust me the same way I trust you: one step at a time. Deal?
: We’ll see if this treasure hunt of yours is worth it.
: Once you get a taste of this job, I think you’ll be hooked. We have deals set up on Taris and Nar Shaddaa. I’ll make all the arrangements and introductions for you on both planets. Until then, I’ll be in my bunk. That caged beast over there isn’t much good for conversation, so come visit if you feel like chatting.
: I’ll be around for anything you need, sweetheart. Anything.
: That’s a comfort. Looking forward to working with you, captain.

[Despite what she says, Risha lives in the cargo bay full time.]

: Well, Corso, this isn’t how I thought this day would go, but that’s the best part of this life. Come on, we’re off on a treasure hunt!

: Ow!
: Oh yeah, you should probably strap in.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

: Ow!
: Oh yeah, you should probably strap in.

this is entirely too accurate to Corso's character. Both of them, really.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
: "You're his daughter, aren't you."
: "Nah..no?"
: "Because this totally isn't Space Oprah, and your lack of material motivation is something criminals totally do all the time."
: "Errr..."
: "Ok, pick a back story: 1. Deposed princess seeking revenge. 2. Daddy's girl deposed princess seeking revenge. 3. Daddy's girl deposed princess seeking revenge against family that betrayed you."
: "Those are all basically the same thing!"
: "Yeaaah."
: "And I'm not a princess!"
: "...Yeaaah."
: "And he's not my father!"
: "...Yeaaah."
: "..."
: "..."
: "..just fly the drat ship already."
--
: "Hey boss, I still exist right? ..Right? Boss?"

Anyway, my own epilogue will be a brief thing that will be posted tomorrow. It comes with a tour of the ship and maybe even something special!

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 29, 2020

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I was going to wait and ask but it's relevant now: Do we like Risha or do we dislike her? And, if we do like her, do we LIKE like her?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
She seems like she could be a good business partner, so I think we should like her enough to keep things professional.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Boy, that sure is an Ebon Hawk. And the Jedi's ship is Princess Leia's ship but smaller and red. I can't wait to see Daydasher's ship, I bet it's really cool.

We like this lady, but keep it professional; it's bad form to mix business and pleasure. That's how you wind up like Skavak.

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

We like her and are enough of a scoundrel to perhaps grow to like her.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
She betrayed Skavak the moment she met us and promised to make us filthy rich, I think that's enough for us to like her.

Bit early to say on the second thing. Does she only like nice men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

I was going to wait and ask but it's relevant now: Do we like Risha or do we dislike her? And, if we do like her, do we LIKE like her?

she offered you all the money and doesn't want it herself, honestly I'm surprised Jek hasn't proposed already