Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
But I think we can all agree it feels like a Fireflash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's an extremely simple system;
5 - Thunderbird 4
4 - Thunderbird 5
3 - Thunderbird 2
2 - Thunderbird 1
1 - Thunderbird 3

What could be an easier system than that

Imaging ranking the Thunderbird vehicles and not making Thunderbird 2 number 1. This loving post.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Coq au Nandos posted:

Imaging ranking the Thunderbird vehicles and not making Thunderbird 2 number 1. This loving post.

Because it's Light SPEED rescue the vehicles are reached in order of top speed, not how cool they are. I've probably got the numbers wrong anyway.

The rocket, the rocket powered jet, the geostationary satellite, the fourth thing, and the submarine are the order in terms of speed

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
The Super Sentai Bros just started MegaRanger and it's the third time I've heard someone talk about Tighten Up Reality Gangster. Though they didn't find the album it came from Electronic

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I have a question, why do the rangers keep their identities secret? Does it really matter?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

I have a question, why do the rangers keep their identities secret? Does it really matter?

Which series, what context.

Original, yeah to a degree. Zordon wants the Rangers to be good people with their powers- it goes in line with the no escalation.

If the world knew who they were, they'd be super heroes (Or targets of the government depending) and celebrities. They could abuse that and let it go to their heads tremendously, or be targeted unfairly by powers that aren't the villains.

After that, how much of a secret identity any team has is really up in the air. Most of them don't generally give a poo poo.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I mean, post zordon they usually arrive untransformed and transform on-site. That is really not keeping secret identities.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Invalid Validation posted:

Kinda one of those things Zordon proclaimed in the very beginning probably so the writers can create some sense of drama with the dual identities thing. I think Billy or someone alludes in a later episode that it's better this way so they don't use their position for personal gain.

In the series where they are part of the police/military/etc, it doesn't really matter. I think Mystic Force had a magic reason or something about it, can't remember. Other teams like the Ninja Storm team didn't because they are secret ninjas with a secret ninja academy (that's not that secret given that Dino Thunder Red's brother tried applying for it or something) and don't want to be bothered with the attention and just want to do x-treme sports in peace. Jungle Fury team also probably didn't want to be bothered and their mentor is probably a gigantic stoner

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of the (many) things I dig about GGPR is they actually play with that, like with Kim's boyfriend wanting to protect her during a monster attack and she can't get him to just split up so she can protect him.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, Zhane tries to stick his dick in evil.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Meanwhile all the other rangers can't stop Fox holding Down-B

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The bad romance gag killed me

It’s good to have you back, wizliz

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Astronema's 'Earth form' has such 90's hair it is amazing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
In Space sure seemed to do the thing where they use up a monster appearance for real quick. Here, the thing that turns on Astronema only gets a couple minutes so we can focus on this unusually Ecliptor-themed bull. And later the Psycho Ranger debut episode dispatched an owl monster almost immediately.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love zhane specifically because of how terrible he is. He's such a piece of poo poo, it rules

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
:ssh:
The secret identity thing means that they can scrimp further on cast because you dont have any recurring family members.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also if you wanted an out of universe reason

Because in Western superhero culture secret identities are a huge thing for a number of reasons. And MMPR really rode that idea of being a Superhero series.

Superheroes have secret identities as a rule!

Sentai never bothered with that because that's not as much of a thing in Japan. AS much, there's still cases of it popping up. Mind, the reason why superheroes have secret identities and how that affects the story generally gets explored on a case by case basis, but for Power Rangers it was just a blanket 'that's a thing superheroes do'.

It does tie nicely into the morality of power that MMPR tried to teach, which isn't a bad thing at all. Do not escalate unless you have to, only use your powers in self defense, all that fun stuff. You can do stuff with that, but PR isn't really the series to look into the deeper morality of power and abuse of power.

There's a reason why the Magna Defender stands apart in the franchise as THE one grey, morally ambiguous anti-hero (that worked)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Chase did nothing wrong and he should've gotten benefits from putting his life on the line so much as Dino Charge Black. Grid Battleforce, on top of endangering the whole city with Morph-X, should've told the children's families that they are rangers.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Especially Devon, who had an entire episode where he sacrificed his dad's respect to maintain his secret identity, namely by being unable to hold down a job because being a Power Ranger is already his job. And if anyone should have the security clearance to know who a Ranger is, surely it's the mayor? Zoey has an excuse, hers are journalists.

(Hiromu was the only Buster who kept a secret identity and only because he knew specifically that his caretaker would disapprove.)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

And usually the various folks on these teams are nobodies, so it's like what does Utsemimaru risk if everyone knows he's Kyoryu Gold? His entire world has passed away into history, nobody knows or cares who he is.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Lizard Wizard posted:

I mean
Wouldn't you?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Today on Power Rangers, it's one of those mostly-American-footage episodes. Not much to work with, but it delivers a silver lining by the end!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lizard Wizard posted:

Today on Power Rangers, it's one of those mostly-American-footage episodes. Not much to work with, but it delivers a silver lining by the end!

Was this a peak In Space "Wait, Megaranger is about WHAT?" episode?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love when the silver ranger fights Saddam

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nice credit sequence.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Some serious Doctor Who energy in this episode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Huge wtf moment in that episode when Zhane hits what appears to be a human with his sword, who he has no reason to assume is actually a monster

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Huge wtf moment in that episode when Zhane hits what appears to be a human with his sword, who he has no reason to assume is actually a monster

I mean, he does have armor on.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I always found the secret identify thing really dumb in PR. I mean in basically every series the main antagonist knows who they are which is way worse than the public knowing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Angel Grove absolutely knew the White Ranger was the same guy as Zeo 5 and Red Turbo.

All those siksikKYAAAAs and weirdly forced laughter.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's certain times where the rangers having secret identities makes for good drama like Wes in Time Force.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

I mean
Wouldn't you?

That leather Astronema suit was really form fitting.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've mentioned this in the Trek thread, but I watched DS9 this year and wow they clearly borrowed a lot from Mirror Universe Kira when designing Astronema.

EDIT: I should also mention that Divatox is in 2.5 episodes. I add .5 because in one she's a redshirt that's blown up so fast that you wouldn't have time to recognize her. In the other two she's a genetically altered woman whose talent is habitually seducing men, which means she's effectively Divatox.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 2, 2020

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DIvatox likes power, not men. :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Craptacular! posted:

I've mentioned this in the Trek thread, but I watched DS9 this year and wow they clearly borrowed a lot from Mirror Universe Kira when designing Astronema.

EDIT: I should also mention that Divatox is in 2.5 episodes. I add .5 because in one she's a redshirt that's blown up so fast that you wouldn't have time to recognize her. In the other two she's a genetically altered woman whose talent is habitually seducing men, which means she's effectively Divatox.

In that .5 episode she's one of those vape aliens and looks like she sat in a makeup chair for 4 hours to read one line before being killed

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Craptacular! posted:

I can buy that Divatox fucks

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Siegkrow posted:

I mean
Wouldn't you?

On one hand, it's Melody Perkins. On the other hand, the closest she has to a dad is a giant robot warrior whose sword is bigger than you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For all the inherent sexuality of Divatox from her voice performance or costume, the character never actually did something like try to seduce(by seduce I mean the g rated version where a character vaguely implies reward) or express attraction to anyone, which later villains did, even some of the guy villains

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

For all the inherent sexuality of Divatox from her voice performance or costume, the character never actually did something like try to seduce(by seduce I mean the g rated version where a character vaguely implies reward) or express attraction to anyone, which later villains did, even some of the guy villains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oecHfypRuv8&t=69s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is anyone making face masks that are styled like the bottom half of ranger helmets?