Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

BigglesSWE posted:

Ugh, I liked Origins but I did not like their take on the Ides of March.

Tell me about it. Not looking forward to see them make Alfred the Templar villain and invading viking raiders the badass protagonists. Hopefully both "sides" will be more nuanced but if Origins Caesar and Cleopatra is anything to go by then i doubt it.

Wish they had the guts to only have a female protagonist chooseable. As it was in Odyssey the setting treats you identically because they have to make it work for both sexes without spending effort in modifying two separate stories. So Kassandra faces the same dialogue and reactions from famously misogynist Athenians and other Greeks as Alexios. The character overcoming those odds could be a great part of plot but o guess Ubisoft gonna hedge their bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_nb_YECQoQ

Game devs spergin out over their work.

Mameluke posted:

The Eurogamer article mentions river combat and the game being largely set in Britain, so I'm going to assume that means the map will be loving huge. It'll probably be also lumpy as poo poo to fit multiple navigable boat rivers on the same map as a full North Sea and Britain.

Then again, the absolutely seamless parkour/ship parts of the Hudson Valley were my favourite part of Rogue, so it'll be fun to play. Just hope it's not as perversely...what?-looking as the Maritimes map from that game.

Holy poo poo yes yes yes I loved how diverse the water areas were in Rogue and if they just translate it to a seamless map for Valhalla I'll be so ecstatic. :allears:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Falukorv posted:

Tell me about it. Not looking forward to see them make Alfred the Templar villain and invading viking raiders the badass protagonists. Hopefully both "sides" will be more nuanced but if Origins Caesar and Cleopatra is anything to go by then i doubt it.

Wish they had the guts to only have a female protagonist chooseable. As it was in Odyssey the setting treats you identically because they have to make it work for both sexes without spending effort in modifying two separate stories. So Kassandra faces the same dialogue and reactions from famously misogynist Athenians and other Greeks as Alexios. The character overcoming those odds could be a great part of plot but o guess Ubisoft gonna hedge their bets.

reading the articles, it sounds like they are pushing a bit of both sides deal. Alfred is the antagonist but he isnt Borgia or anything and there will be evil viking and poo poo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Evil Canadian posted:

Vikings are like Pirates. Everyone knows they are kinda badguys but pop culture as a whole forgives 'em for it cause they steal from and murder people in a way that's fun for the whole family.

If you're known down through history chances are killing a lot of people factors into why. Like how people are only going to remember the name Gandhi because of his insane nuclear warfare.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Mameluke posted:

The Eurogamer article mentions river combat and the game being largely set in Britain, so I'm going to assume that means the map will be loving huge. It'll probably be also lumpy as poo poo to fit multiple navigable boat rivers on the same map as a full North Sea and Britain.

Then again, the absolutely seamless parkour/ship parts of the Hudson Valley were my favourite part of Rogue, so it'll be fun to play. Just hope it's not as perversely...what?-looking as the Maritimes map from that game.

Considering the fit all of Greece into one game by making everything smaller, I bet they'll have the entire UK or at least the four kingdoms, but mini

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Deakul posted:

Holy poo poo yes yes yes I loved how diverse the water areas were in Rogue and if they just translate it to a seamless map for Valhalla I'll be so ecstatic. :allears:

Dual wielding shields confirmed, holy poo poo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vikings are known for being invaders because the people who bothered to write poo poo down about them were the ones who got pillaged. But in actuality they were like any other medieval agrarian society at the time except much better because they had a cooler mythology and scared the British.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Deakul posted:

Yeah they pretty much say here that they game will take place in the 4 kingdoms, so I'm imagining they'll have they entire place be exploreable, scaled for a game world

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

exquisite tea posted:

Vikings are known for being invaders because the people who bothered to write poo poo down about them were the ones who got pillaged. But in actuality they were like any other medieval agrarian society at the time except much better because they had a cooler mythology and scared the British.

They committed human sacrifice lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Whorelord posted:

They committed human sacrifice lol

Largely apocryphal and not widely practiced, if at all.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

exquisite tea posted:

My favorite minor fact is from a historian whose account of them being grimy barbarians also included how they'd bathe once a week and meticulously cared for their hair and beards, well above the medieval European standard of hygeine.

Also, just because I'm sure this point will be made eventually, viking was the old Norse word for seafarer, so the vikings were mostly raiders, while the Norse were agrarian, same as anyone.

Also also, I will personally die on the hill that proper modern viking music is the stuff that just doubles down on the percussion and throat singing, such as the works of Eivør.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWHEFi-AOtg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOsFQ-VUeMw

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite minor fact is from a historian whose account of them being grimy barbarians also included how they'd bathe once a week and meticulously cared for their hair and beards, well above the medieval European standard of hygeine.

Also, just because I'm sure this point will be made eventually, viking was the old Norse word for seafarer, so the vikings were mostly raiders, while the Norse were agrarian, same as anyone.

Also also, I will personally die on the hill that proper modern viking music is the stuff that just doubles down on the percussion and throat singing, such as the works of Eivør.

Yeah there’s a letter written by the English where they were upset with the Vikings due to their better hygiene and grooming habits giving them a leg up with the ladies

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

exquisite tea posted:

Largely apocryphal and not widely practiced, if at all.

Nope it definitely happened

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whorelord posted:

Nope it definitely happened

No, it really didn't. There's actually very little evidence to support that human sacrifice use to ever really be a thing throughout the world, and what is there is flimsy and comes from really unreliable sources.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I said come in! posted:

No, it really didn't. There's actually very little evidence to support that human sacrifice use to ever really be a thing throughout the world, and what is there is flimsy and comes from really unreliable sources.

http://en.natmus.dk/historical-know...man-sacrifices/

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Who cares about human sacrifice. Sailing across the sea to murder some strangers and taking their stuff is incredibly hosed up.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mymla posted:

Who cares about human sacrifice. Sailing across the sea to murder some strangers and taking their stuff is incredibly hosed up.

But some drat solid gameplay.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I wonder how much emphasis they'll put on the remains of roman civilisation. Could be a decent way to add more variety to the Danish and Anglo-Saxon architecture you'll be scrambling over.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Falukorv posted:

That is why Bayek and Aya had more personality on their pinky finger than the entirety of Alexios/Kassandra, whom go from laughing to being angry and shouting in on sentence. Origin was much more a better handcrafted experience overall, nothing beats going from Siwa and Alexandria and witnessing the contrast between the rural communities across the Nile Delta and the urban dwellers in Alexandria, or the stark difference between the bourgeois Greeks and the native Egyptians. Or Visiting ancient Memphis and seeing the clear signs of decline of Egypts former capital etc, Odyssey felt very much like a theme park compared to Origins world building. I hope the next game follows the suite of Origins when it comes to environmental design, not odyssey.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Ibn Fadlan labeled the vikings as the most disgusting of all gods creatures but being tall and strong. In the Risala he said he never witnessed a people being so unhygienic as the vikings, whom all for example shared the bowl of water to wash themselves that they sniffed and spit at etc.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOLeLX0Q9U

Alternatively: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6lrmxbPBqk

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I hope they don't do my man Alfred too dirty in the game, he is a really interesting historical figure and the fact that he was the one who defeated the vikings and then unified England is pretty significant imo. Found it a bit weird he mentioned England at all in the trailer honestly since I'm sure at that time it's Wessex, Mercia etc etc.

Still, going to be really fun to explore a massive open world 9th century England.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
My favourite thing when anything viking-related comes out is the throngs of people itching to tell everyone why vikings were secretly better than any of the other interchangeable tribes at the time, and who have a 150% chance of also believing that metal is the classical music of our age.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gameplay trailer on the 7th: https://mobile.twitter.com/ubisoftnordic/status/1255890083468763136

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Okay murder and pillage is generally bad but they were doing it to the Brits so its impossible to say if they were morally correct or not

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The press conference is taking place inside the Xbox Series X itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Spermando posted:

My favourite thing when anything viking-related comes out is the throngs of people itching to tell everyone why vikings were secretly better than any of the other interchangeable tribes at the time, and who have a 150% chance of also believing that metal is the classical music of our age.

Me 2.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Mymla posted:

murder some strangers and taking their stuff is incredibly hosed up.

this may not be the video game genre for you

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Syndicate also made its disgust for the British known when the conflict basically ended up being a bunch of street gangs and child labor camps and corrupt nobles versus...a bunch of street gangs and child labor camps and corrupt nobles except wearing green

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Wolfsheim posted:

Okay murder and pillage is generally bad but they were doing it to the Brits so its impossible to say if they were morally correct or not

Unfortunately for you, many of the Vikings in the Danelaw will settle and eventually convert to christianity, meaning that both sides in this game are Brits.

Its Brits all the way down.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 30, 2020

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
To be fair Ubisoft are French so of course they're gonna want to make the Brits the bad guys, it's just in their blood.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's mostly a byproduct of Ubisoft being a French studio. Here, let me just read through this list of world cultures who were NOT at any point antagonized, colonized, or enslaved by the British and... oh hm..

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Spermando posted:

One thing I've learned is that there is a massive overlap between metalheads and gamers. That's why I am not surprised at all that this game is making Vikings the shiny heroes and the Brits the evil dudes. There would be a loving Twitter riot right now if the roles were reversed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm glad they took the year off last year, because there's no way I would have been even close to as excited about playing this then as I am now. Gorging myself on Origins and Odyssey in subsequent years burned me out pretty hard. I guess quarantine boredom is also contributing, because I really really want to get my hands on this, and hope it doesn't get delayed. If I had to bet though, I think it probably will be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sinteres posted:

I'm glad they took the year off last year, because there's no way I would have been even close to as excited about playing this then as I am now. Gorging myself on Origins and Odyssey in subsequent years burned me out pretty hard. I guess quarantine boredom is also contributing, because I really really want to get my hands on this, and hope it doesn't get delayed. If I had to bet though, I think it probably will be.

thats the dev plan now. it gives each game 3 or so years to make it and an off year to build hype.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

exquisite tea posted:

It's mostly a byproduct of Ubisoft being a French studio. Here, let me just read through this list of world cultures who were NOT at any point antagonized, colonized, or enslaved by the British and... oh hm..

Scandinavia, because we wisely took proactive action in the 9th century.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Justin Godscock posted:

One thing I've learned is that there is a massive overlap between metalheads and gamers. That's why I am not surprised at all that this game is making Vikings the shiny heroes and the Brits the evil dudes. There would be a loving Twitter riot right now if the roles were reversed.

Also big overlap with Viking history, and white supremacy. A lot of crazy people unironically believe that the Vikings were undeniable proof of white people being superior because of some super twisted logic (as is usual for this sort of thing).

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Justin Godscock posted:

A little ironic since Brits pretty much pioneered heavy metal but ya know

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Playing Origins after playing about 150 hours of Odyssey, ask me about constantly sending Bayek's shins through his kneecaps as habit and muscle memory makes me unthinkingly launch him off the highest precipices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Mymla posted:

I think it’s going to be awhile before we return to the British Empire as a setting.