Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wolfsheim posted:

Okay murder and pillage is generally bad but they were doing it to the Brits so its impossible to say if they were morally correct or not

This is the correct response. what goes around comes around, saxon dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018

zoux posted:

Playing Origins after playing about 150 hours of Odyssey, ask me about constantly sending Bayek's shins through his kneecaps as habit and muscle memory makes me unthinkingly launch him off the highest precipices

I have a friend who picked up Origins after his first AC game was Odyssey. He texted me asking if I had any tips and I immediately replied "Fall damage is a thing that exists all throughout it and it will kill you. Odyssey is the only one where that is not the case."

God, I hope Valhalla follows Odyssey like that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Sinteres posted:

I'm glad they took the year off last year, because there's no way I would have been even close to as excited about playing this then as I am now. Gorging myself on Origins and Odyssey in subsequent years burned me out pretty hard. I guess quarantine boredom is also contributing, because I really really want to get my hands on this, and hope it doesn't get delayed. If I had to bet though, I think it probably will be.
Ubisoft pulled the brakes on all of their upcoming releases after the massive debacle that was Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

where was the pawns stuff

where is the confirmation that there will be current day segments set at a game dev studio

these are the big selling points to me

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Agaragon posted:

I have a friend who picked up Origins after his first AC game was Odyssey. He texted me asking if I had any tips and I immediately replied "Fall damage is a thing that exists all throughout it and it will kill you. Odyssey is the only one where that is not the case."

After a while. You have to level up before you're totally immune.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Odyssey is $20 on Steam right now https://store.steampowered.com/app/812140/Assassins_Creed_Odyssey/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also re: Origins - everyone instantly switches back to dreads and beard the very second they can right

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

zoux posted:

Also re: Origins - everyone instantly switches back to dreads and beard the very second they can right

I don't remember what hair option I went with because I think I liked wearing something on my head, but Beard Bayek is the only Bayek.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

my man

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I guess we should change the thread title, any suggestions?

My lame ones:

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Halla Bill Ya'll

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Back Girl

Assassin's Creed: The Immigrant Song on loop for 200 hours

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I stand by Norse Case Scenario.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deakul posted:

I guess we should change the thread title, any suggestions?

My lame ones:

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Halla Bill Ya'll

Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Back Girl

Assassin's Creed: The Immigrant Song on loop for 200 hours

We should wait until May 7th and post a new thread. Leave this thread open for Odyssey talk.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I said come in! posted:

We should wait until May 7th and post a new thread. Leave this thread open for Odyssey talk.

Aww man I already changed the OP too...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

zoux posted:

Bayek looks strangely sinister to me when shaved. Bedreaded, on the other hand, he radiates amity and compassion

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Assassin's Creed VA-11 Hall-A: Visual Novel of the Year

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Assassin's Creed: Thank God It's Wednesday

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Origins, to those who have gone from Odyssey to Origins: How jarring is it? I remember them being the same game basically (Though Origins kinda has a dogshit leveling tree), and I have been thinking of going back to it. Then again, I could just do Odyssey and this time try to ignore side quests for as long as possible because poo poo those are tiring.

Maybe I am just burnt out of side stuff in the game in general. Hopefully they pace themselves a bit more with the new game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It’s a little more barebones having mostly passive skills in place of active abilities but it still feels like a “modern” combat engine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unlucky7 posted:

Maybe I am just burnt out of side stuff in the game in general. Hopefully they pace themselves a bit more with the new game.

Hm, yeah... about that...

Manxome Foe posted:

"Immerse yourself in activities like hunting, fishing, dice, and drinking games, or engage in traditional Norse competitions like flyting – or, as it's better known, verbally devastating rivals through the art of the Viking rap battle."

Oh wait, there's a thread title. "Assassin's Creed: Valhalla - Flyting of the Valkyries"

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Deakul posted:

Aww man I already changed the OP too...

We're 400 pages in, I think it's ok for a new one.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

gently caress yeah Heilung

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRg_8NNPTD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNu6FmaUIB0

Bonus jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGy_X_Yzurw

Also the best Bayek is beard, no hair

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Lobok posted:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah that's the one i think

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:tipshat:

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Origins, to those who have gone from Odyssey to Origins: How jarring is it? I remember them being the same game basically (Though Origins kinda has a dogshit leveling tree), and I have been thinking of going back to it. Then again, I could just do Odyssey and this time try to ignore side quests for as long as possible because poo poo those are tiring.

I started with Origins, liked it but since I hadn't played AC since the second one I was playing it way too much like a sneaky stealth game instead of a hybrid. I got about 20 hrs in, doing everything, and I saw some articles and videos saying that Odyssey was like Origins perfected, so I thought I'd take a look. Got hooked into it, loved the RPG-lite elements and active combat abilities and played the whole thing. That one I too started out playing too much like a sneaky stealth game until I realized a few dozen hours in that I could walk into the front door of a fort banging a pot and pan and then proceed to murder every person in that fort no problem. So I started playing it much faster. I restarted Origins on hard yesterday and started playing it like Odyssey and I'm just loving murdering dudes left and right now. I got less enamored with the RPG elemens of Odyssey by the end because it wasn't balanced terribly well and while the engraving and gear system gives the appearance of choice and depth, really you just stack crit and Rush Assassinate mercenaries.

It plays almost identical to Odyssey, the combat is a little different with respect to shield and parry and there aren't the ability wheels. So if the RPG stuff is absolutely critical to your enjoyment of the game then you might not like it as much but if you like the gameplay, it's the same. Also Alexios is cool but Bayek....Bayek owns

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That's a steal. I bought it at full price when it came out, and I don't regret a penny of that. I've gotten tons of game time out of it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

bayek owns but i enjoyed more being able to kind of direct my own decisions with the story with alexios or kass

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I want to ask, is it worth getting through Odyssey for the DLC stuff? I got the Season Pass from a gold edition or something and I hear mostly good things, particularly about the later ones.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Lobok posted:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I skipped a few AC games but Odyssey is on sale and has been tempting me for some time; should I get the gold edition for the season pass stuff?
edit: base game is $20, gold edition is $32)

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 30, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Similarly, with the franchise on Steam sale: is the Sinai DLC worth it for Origins, or can i get by just with Curse of the Pharoahs?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gooch181 posted:

I skipped a few AC games but Odyssey is on sale and has been tempting me for some time; should I get the gold edition for the season pass stuff?

it's the sort of thing i'd only know whether to recommend if you like the base game. one of them's not very good but you get extra skills, the other's alright, but there's plenty of game without them.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fuligin posted:

Similarly, with the franchise on Steam sale: is the Sinai DLC worth it for Origins, or can i get by just with Curse of the Pharoahs?

Sinai is cool but it's only one kind of lame new map. Upper Egypt is awesome even before you dive into the other stuff Curse of the Pharaohs offers

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

This might be the first AC game I play on release. I love the series and have finished all of them, but for whatever reason I've had backlog or no time when they come out and end up getting them at a discount a year or so later. This looks dope though and I loved Odyssey.

Is the PS5 still supposed to be out by then?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hobo Clown posted:

This might be the first AC game I play on release. I love the series and have finished all of them, but for whatever reason I've had backlog or no time when they come out and end up getting them at a discount a year or so later. This looks dope though and I loved Odyssey.

Is the PS5 still supposed to be out by then?

presumably

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of Origins, to those who have gone from Odyssey to Origins: How jarring is it? I remember them being the same game basically (Though Origins kinda has a dogshit leveling tree), and I have been thinking of going back to it.

I didn't get deep into Odyssey before going back to Origins, but it's definitely rougher from a presentation standpoint (The UI's a little less clean; most cutscene conversations during missions are just Bayek and the NPC standing directly across from one another, trading lines.) Also the weapon skill system is a lot more straightforward - From my experience, as soon as you find a weapon that either poisons/burns on hit or restores health, you stick with that for the rest of the game and sell everything else so you can keep upgrading it to your level.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Lobok posted:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm not sure that I get that title aside from the whole Odin thing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Deakul posted:

I'm not sure that I get that title aside from the whole Odin thing.

You have to climb Zeus to get a fast travel point in Odyssey and just lol if you don’t dangle from dangly bits

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

You have to climb Zeus to get a fast travel point in Odyssey and just lol if you don’t dangle from dangly bits

They even had a special voice line for the one in the very first island you start on, was disappointed it didn't happen on any others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

screaden posted:

They even had a special voice line for the one in the very first island you start on, was disappointed it didn't happen on any others

That’s right I forgot about that

(You can’t reproduce it on reclimbs afaicr)