Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
war does suck, and model kits are neat. nothing contradictory there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

war does suck, and model kits are neat. nothing contradictory there.

Are you saying that "war is bad" and "wow cool robot" are both valid?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Blaze Dragon posted:

Are you saying that "war is bad" and "wow cool robot" are both valid?

This is the power of the twin drive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Yeah they're definitely gonna retcon the explanation for EL-Divers. It's gonna turn out they're the Ancients.

I mean come on, look at these guys

https://imgur.com/09ATY75

Option B is that they're exactly what we've always been told they are (AIs born from GBN), but it's because the system was always designed for recolonisation and so it sometimes generates people out of junk data rather than player templates. They're shells without souls, but with enough sophistication to generate souls on their own. I do reckon that May might well end up replacing Alus, simply because while he's theoretically fixable, he's done such incredibly hosed up poo poo that moral logic means he's probably going to bite it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly that's why I don't really like 0080 much at all outside of the new designs it introduces, the fact that the entirety of it's events end up being pointless just makes watching it feel pointless too, but then I've always felt that the franchise massively overuses the whole "war sucks" theming, cause it always rings hollow coming from a franchise that primarily exists to sell model kits

But it's not about the war. The war's ending was settled in a show a decade before War in the Pocket It's about the personal story and how the war came home for Al.

I mean, it's not like tragic futility is a subtle part of the themeing for 0080, and it's also quite up front in grappling with the fact it's a show about war sucking where a lot of people are in because the war robots are cool. The main story is about a little kid realizing that real people die in Mobile Suit fights, and even good and heroic people fighting for the right reasons often die in stupid, pointless ways.

(Meanwhile, 0083 insisted it was Important, and therefore made very little sense in the context of Zeta, including the plot having every single thing that happened be double secret classified.)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Darth Walrus posted:

Option B is that they're exactly what we've always been told they are (AIs born from GBN), but it's because the system was always designed for recolonisation and so it sometimes generates people out of junk data rather than player templates. They're shells without souls, but with enough sophistication to generate souls on their own. I do reckon that May might well end up replacing Alus, simply because while he's theoretically fixable, he's done such incredibly hosed up poo poo that moral logic means he's probably going to bite it.

My 100% pulled from my rear end guess is the Ancients have been bouncing around the network for so long they've degraded to the point where it's just their core or soul, and when they get into GBN the junk data accumulates around them like a pearl. So we keep the junk data part of the explanation from Build Divers and explain why the EL-Divers can be the Ancients but not remember it

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

My 100% pulled from my rear end guess is the Ancients have been bouncing around the network for so long they've degraded to the point where it's just their core or soul, and when they get into GBN the junk data accumulates around them like a pearl. So we keep the junk data part of the explanation from Build Divers and explain why the EL-Divers can be the Ancients but not remember it

I mean, my biggest "uhhhhh" point is how long ago did this Battlestar Galactica poo poo happen? Suspiciously human ancients leave on ships, and other suspiciously human ancients leave via data transmission. Is this literally BSG and the ancient Eldorans are precursors to modern humans? If the transmission is instant, and occurred at an unspecified but certainly distant point in the past, how did the ancients' data streams end up in GBN, let alone the most likely yet to be invented internet? Were they just a signal bouncing around in space until Bamco accidentally made an antenna that could pick them up?

The spoilers today open a ton of cans that would have likely been better left unopened. I hope the writers can stick the landing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Have you ever seen that episode of Star Trek The Next Generation where Scotty comes back?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Kanos posted:

Yeah, Stella got used in the Destroy for that terror campaign, but if Phantom Pain didn't have her, they would have just used Sting instead(who is right there, at Berlin, available, and in fact pilots a Destroy later on in the series with no problems so it's not like they actually needed Stella).

To be honest, the thing that bugs me the most about Destiny is how no matter how you shake it, Neo was totally down with pulling a massacre on Berlin and no one ever revisits this ever. Hell, if he was the only option he probably would have piloted the Destroy himself.

All that only to pull a Sasuke-esque "Yeah... sorry..." when all is said and done... man gently caress that dude

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

To be honest, the thing that bugs me the most about Destiny is how no matter how you shake it, Neo was totally down with pulling a massacre on Berlin and no one ever revisits this ever. Hell, if he was the only option he probably would have piloted the Destroy himself.

All that only to pull a Sasuke-esque "Yeah... sorry..." when all is said and done... man gently caress that dude

Neo was brainwashed too. Like you literally see him in the same pods as the Extendeds. The people who end up capturing him seem to give him a pass because he is blatantly brainwashed Mu La Flaga.

He probably should be put on trial anyway but TBH in pretty much any Gundam series people are prone to forgiving horrific crimes if done under brainwashing or even just under duress. It's just that most of the people that applies to usually don't survive the unbrainwashing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 1, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Neo was brainwashed too. Like you literally see him in the same pods as the Extendeds. The people who end up capturing him seem to give him a pass because he is blatantly brainwashed Mu La Flaga.

He probably should be put on trial anyway but TBH in pretty much any Gundam series people are prone to forgiving horrific crimes if done under brainwashing or even just under duress. It's just that most of the people that applies to usually don't survive the unbrainwashing.

I mean, with people like Four or Rosamia, they pretty much either complete dissociate or have the mental capability of literal children, so I can see why they are treated with the kid gloves.

But for Neo to pull the stuff he does and it takes Super Robot Wars to even get someone in universe to even mention the fact that "I mean, I get you were brainwashed but you were lucid and you were kinda responsible for shoving this emotional wreck of a person in a WMD even when you explicitly said you wouldn't do that, that's kind of hosed up man" is a different scenario. Instead, Kira and Murrue are just like "cool we got Mu back" and everything is wrapped up with a nice, neat bow

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I'm just happy Re:Rise remembers this whole sub-franchise started with a teleporting space alien and his magic wishing crystal so let's see how deep they can dig themselves in this ridiculousness. I'm game for it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That works, though I'd expect that if that was happening then both the satellite AI and the black dragon would have recognized May as something special if not outright "what is thy bidding, my master" from the AI and a high-five from the black dragon and thus obviating the whole second half of the series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I mean, with people like Four or Rosamia, they pretty much either complete dissociate or have the mental capability of literal children, so I can see why they are treated with the kid gloves.

But for Neo to pull the stuff he does and it takes Super Robot Wars to even get someone in universe to even mention the fact that "I mean, I get you were brainwashed but you were lucid and you were kinda responsible for shoving this emotional wreck of a person in a WMD even when you explicitly said you wouldn't do that, that's kind of hosed up man" is a different scenario. Instead, Kira and Murrue are just like "cool we got Mu back" and everything is wrapped up with a nice, neat bow

Neo wasn't a walking zombie but he was still brainwashed. Kira even comments that he didn't have *no* memories, he just had false memories. He was effectively overwritten with a different person. Neo was absolutely a bad person but he also was a false person who was specifically created to be loyal to the bad guys. The moment he's actually out of their hands the brainwashing starts to break down.

It's fair to point out that what Neo did was terrible but in the same point Neo was a brainwashed puppet. The fact that he was lucid enough to speak coherently doesn't really change the fact. A closer comparison is something like Marida Cruz, not Four or Rosamia.

Beyond that you basically get into philosophical questions involving fictional brainwashing but it's pretty hard to hold Mu responsible for what Neo did because Neo was a literal different person piggybacking on Mu's abilities.

(Obviously that is Anime Bullshit but it's pretty common anime bullshit because otherwise you'd be blaming a whole lot of people for atrocities they commit while wearing an evil mask that cracks at the convenient right point to show their True Identity.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 1, 2020

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
What makes the events regarding him in Destiny come across as odd is that the Archangel crew freely accept Neo Roanoke into their ranks without question - he is unambiguously does not revert to being Mu La Flaga again until the final episode, and that switch isn't him shedding a fake personality imprinted on him it's just him getting his memories back.

The almost interesting part of this is looking back to Mu's character and noticing that he basically has no strong principles at all as a person making his actions with his memories removed pretty believable? He's a guy who as far as we know didn't even shrug his shoulders at the Earth Alliance using the first Cyclops System to kill the entire Mobius Zero corps except himself, he had no problem with it at all. For all we see he's a guy who just comfortably attaches himself to an authority figure and follows their lead, in Seed's case that ending up being Ramius and the Archangel. It's no issue to them when they first change allegiance to Orb, then to the third party Three Ships Alliance. His actions as Neo are the same - he a just following orders guy while with EA, and when the Archangel picks him up he just ends up rolling with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seemlar posted:

What makes the events regarding him in Destiny come across as odd is that the Archangel crew freely accept Neo Roanoke into their ranks without question - he is unambiguously does not revert to being Mu La Flaga again until the final episode, and that switch isn't him shedding a fake personality imprinted on him it's just him getting his memories back.

The almost interesting part of this is looking back to Mu's character and noticing that he basically has no strong principles at all as a person making his actions with his memories removed pretty believable? He's a guy who as far as we know didn't even shrug his shoulders at the Earth Alliance using the first Cyclops System to kill the entire Mobius Zero corps except himself, he had no problem with it at all. For all we see he's a guy who just comfortably attaches himself to an authority figure and follows their lead, in Seed's case that ending up being Ramius and the Archangel. It's no issue to them when they first change allegiance to Orb, then to the third party Three Ships Alliance. His actions as Neo are the same - he a just following orders guy while with EA, and when the Archangel picks him up he just ends up rolling with it.

Eh, that isn't really true. The Archangel captures him and keeps him locked up. During conversations with him he shows clear signs of unconsciously remembering being Mu but he reverts back to Neo very quickly whenever that comes up. Ramias basically releases him when they decide to go into full war because she doesn't think it's justified to keep him on the ship in that case. (It's the exact same thing they do with Dearka actually.) He takes off but then he comes back to actively help them during the fighting and shows even more signs of remembering who he is.

Basically the big bullshit thing is them handing him the Akatsuki but I think that's more about whatever the gently caress the Cagalli drama was leading to a nonsensical plot point.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I feel like y'all are sleeping on the big question. What does the RedComet app do? :v: Is it like the Grindr equivalent for Gunpla enthusiasts? Do you just swipe right if you like their Gunpla, and swipe left if you think it's an over-engineered piece of crap?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I feel like y'all are sleeping on the big question. What does the RedComet app do? :v: Is it like the Grindr equivalent for Gunpla enthusiasts? Do you just swipe right if you like their Gunpla, and swipe left if you think it's an over-engineered piece of crap?

Red Comet is a way to track your various shady hidden agendas so you can be sure you never betray anyone. EVER!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I would replace Google maps with Haroad map in an instant

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

He has a regular camera app there so I assume ZakuCamera just makes your screen look like a Zaku eye going back and forth

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's fair to point out that what Neo did was terrible but in the same point Neo was a brainwashed puppet. The fact that he was lucid enough to speak coherently doesn't really change the fact. A closer comparison is something like Marida Cruz, not Four or Rosamia.

Beyond that you basically get into philosophical questions involving fictional brainwashing but it's pretty hard to hold Mu responsible for what Neo did because Neo was a literal different person piggybacking on Mu's abilities.

I feel like this is getting more into a deep dive of anime brainwashing, but I feel like the execution of Marida v. Ple 12 is still better done. At the very least, we can definitely see where Marida ends and Ple 12 begins even before she got additional development when she ended up going back into space.

Destiny could have handled this a lot better than how they did, but outside of memories... where exactly does Neo end and Mu begin? Neither personality is super developed so they don't act profoundly different outside of their circumstances of who is giving them orders. I guess Mu is a little bit more brash, but this comes out in the last or second to last episode when he tries repeating his lohengrin block, only this time with a gold gundam that reflects these beams. Alright cool, Mu gets his memories back, but with the way it is handled in the series... so what? At this point is he just more Mu than Neo? Does he have to deal with both of their memories now? And if so, does that create any sort of inner conflict for him knowing what he had to endure and perform for the last two years?

At least SRW makes the attempt to have Shinn directly bring this up and have Mu directly confront this. His answer was expected, he profusely apologizes and explains that Neo is not who he is at all (which I admit in hindsight makes my Sasuke comment a bit too flippant in this situation). In the series? The dude takes over Cagalli's Gundam and is just kind of a bit player in comparison to Kira and Athrun flying around doing Kira and Athrun stuff

MechaX fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 1, 2020

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Just learned that May's mobile doll form's official name is the HER-SELF Mobile Doll May and just :discourse:

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017

Droyer posted:

Just learned that May's mobile doll form's official name is the HER-SELF Mobile Doll May and just :discourse:

They did the same thing with Sarah in the first season. Also I just checked the manual on Dalong and Whut? The height measurement is wonky. It lists her big mode form as 17.8mm. Which would make her less than 2 centimeters tall! If I swap out mm for meters, then she ends up shorter than Sarah (17.8m VS 21.8m) which is still a big surprise for me, given how May has legs that go up forever. Though Sarah does have the big poofy skirt that makes her appear shorter than she is.

The best answer I can think of is that the 17.8mm is actually 17.8cm. The Sarah manual mentions both her physical body's height (151.4mm) and her big mode's height side by side. At the same scale, that would make May's big mode about 25.6 meters tall. Much more acceptable in my opinion and Dalong's comparison photo does have her stand taller than Sarah.

But moving away from random Gunpla talk, and back to the exposition-dragon. Somehow, after an entire episode of exposition, I ended up with more questions than I started.

Ignoring the space-war and the 'we converted our moon into a deathstar just in case and would you look at that, we needed it', there is the matter of the ancients that left. Now GBN/human internet having been designed to connect with the ancient's hardware is one thing. It certainly makes more sense than just randomly having one particular mmo somehow end up linking up with an alien network in another solar system, while getting some ftl-action in while it's at it because why not.
But yeah, what happened to the ancients? Are the ancients ancestors of modern humanity? Are they/their ships chilling on the far side of the moon, waiting for humanity to develop the infrastructure they need to set up their transmitter without causing any weird questions to be asked? And given what they did to their own moon, is earth's moon a deathstar now?

Was Eve an actual ancient instead of another fragment of Sarah? Is the dragon the last of its kind or was there always just one of them? Does May chill inside her Wodom while it's being scanned, or sit on top? If she got scanned while wearing her fancy dress, would her big mode turn into Full Armor Mobile Doll May? Why was Par eyeing a Wing Zero piece? Please tell me he's going to turn the dragon into a cyberdragon cause they ain't got time to wait for its wing to regrow. Is Hiroto going to make an Eldorah themed armor for the last episode? I have so many questions!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well Build Divers manages to add another sin to its list.

The dubbed version of the first episode was in the links at the end of this week's ReRise ep and thought I'd check it out just to see how bad it is and... It's an actual properly-done version with American VA's :stare:. Why does Build Divers get to be the one Build show with a quality English dub? :argh:

Darth Walrus posted:

No, it's a pretty clear retcon, because Build Divers was very firm about where Sarah came from; She's a shitload of floating values sitting in random game functions that just managed to rub together in the wrong way and oops, sentience occurred. They went into surprising depth with how she existed in GBN, and the fundamental problem was every experience she made was just piling into GBN's core infrastructure as a recursive memory error that was going to tank the whole system until they patched the system (which would just brick her existence in the process) or removed her as a compiled format.

ReRise, despite being pretty drat decent, is fundamentally about tacking on their own MMO Isekai story about Furries and Ancient Digitized Aliens to the Build name and running for all they can with it to get their story out into the world rather than one about Gunpla. Build Divers had the same problem with its focus on the Sentient MMO Waifu.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 1, 2020

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I like the little detail of him having a fishing app and one for sea weather specifically.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, it's a pretty clear retcon

Or it's not, and EIs happened spontaneously like Build Divers said (a common sci-fi trope), and there's no direct connection between the Ancients and EIs, except that Nils will show up in an OVA having replicated mirror sand just so EIs can have normal-sized physical bodies and giant robots can exist in real life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Or it's not, and EIs happened spontaneously like Build Divers said (a common sci-fi trope), and there's no direct connection between the Ancients and EIs, except that Nils will show up in an OVA having replicated mirror sand just so EIs can have normal-sized physical bodies and giant robots can exist in real life.

No it's a retcon; ReRise already stomped all over that with "Oh, actually, there were really ~MANY~ El-Divers". It's not a good show, but someone writing it clearly did understand how computers and programming languages behave (at least under normal circumstances and not magic AI-creating handwaving) and by their own rules there's no way for further El-Divers to exist alongside Sarah. Least of all because the game was patched to stamp out the very specific conditions that allowed Sarah to exist.

It's also inferring pretty loving hard that El-Divers are in some way related to the Ancients, because they're gonna have to tie saving/reviving Eve into all this somehow and probably bring back Sarah as well for some screentime.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

ReRise, despite being pretty drat decent, is fundamentally about tacking on their own MMO Isekai story about Furries and Ancient Digitized Aliens to the Build name and running for all they can with it to get their story out into the world rather than one about Gunpla. Build Divers had the same problem with its focus on the Sentient MMO Waifu.

Not sure about anyone else, and if I'd like the original Build Divers I might feel different, but as is, I'm completely okay with that. That aside, I was a bit disappointed after the last episode that [Build Divers Re:Rise episode 17 spoilers]Cuadron kept insisting this was a problem for the people of Eldora to handle, not the people of Gunpla and despite there being two people of Eldora there, that neither of them stepped forward and went "Ummm...yeah, without their help we're going to get squashed, especially if you're just going to sit around and wait for your wings to heal before doing anything, so if it's up to us, then we're going to take their help, thanks". It's just poo poo that he was insisting it was a local problem, then not taking any feedback from locals on how to tackle it. I'm presuming Freddie will chill him out, but he's a dick. A dick that was quite happy to let the people of Eldora die in large numbers while he waited to heal and did nothing to help them in the meantime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

Not sure about anyone else, and if I'd like the original Build Divers I might feel different, but as is, I'm completely okay with that. That aside, I was a bit disappointed after the last episode that [Build Divers Re:Rise episode 17 spoilers]Cuadron kept insisting this was a problem for the people of Eldora to handle, not the people of Gunpla and despite there being two people of Eldora there, that neither of them stepped forward and went "Ummm...yeah, without their help we're going to get squashed, especially if you're just going to sit around and wait for your wings to heal before doing anything, so if it's up to us, then we're going to take their help, thanks". It's just poo poo that he was insisting it was a local problem, then not taking any feedback from locals on how to tackle it. I'm presuming Freddie will chill him out, but he's a dick. A dick that was quite happy to let the people of Eldora die in large numbers while he waited to heal and did nothing to help them in the meantime.

They spell out what his problem is - the last time he trusted a human to fight alongside him, the guy got brainwashed and gave Alus an incredibly powerful new arsenal. He has material evidence that bringing in humans can very well make the situation worse rather than better and result in even more Eldorans dying.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

They spell out what his problem is - the last time he trusted a human to fight alongside him, the guy got brainwashed and gave Alus an incredibly powerful new arsenal. He has material evidence that bringing in humans can very well make the situation worse rather than better and result in even more Eldorans dying.

I'm aware, but that doesn't make the fact he's willing to let Alus commit genocide while he sits on his rear end on the chance he can talk Alus down any better. Nor the fact that neither Freddie or Muran didn't step in and go "yeah, we're okay with their help, thanks" any less weird. Freddie is too awe-struck, but Muran seems to have a fairly mature relationship with him as well as be aware of Cuadron's misgivings, but still didn't really do anything to try and point out that they actively need some immediate help and Cuadron is very definitely not it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

I'm aware, but that doesn't make the fact he's willing to let Alus commit genocide while he sits on his rear end on the chance he can talk Alus down any better. Nor the fact that neither Freddie or Muran didn't step in and go "yeah, we're okay with their help, thanks" any less weird. Freddie is too awe-struck, but Muran seems to have a fairly mature relationship with him as well as be aware of Cuadron's misgivings, but still didn't really do anything to try and point out that they actively need some immediate help and Cuadron is very definitely not it.

Cuadron's not gonna talke Alus down. He's playing a numbers game and figuring Alus can't wipe out all the New People in the time it'll take him to heal and fly up to destroy the Satellite himself.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
And that's assuming he can. Something which I doubt.

Cuadorn's plan A was after all to summon more firepower, back in the day when Alus was 1; less volatile 2; limited to stacking balls.
He's since become more unstable, shown the ability to reclass 'must preserve' sites to 'destroy with maximum firepower' sites, and ran up the tech-tree to much more powerful Mobile Suits.
So basically, Cuadorn is banking on the hope that he'll somehow beat the boss on hard-mode with less resources than when he tried (and failed) said boss on easy mode.

Oh, and I doubt that Alus is going to let an enemy force literally walk into his stronghold unopposed a third time.

Edit: Put the whole thing between spoiler tags. Just in case. Sorry about that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cuadron's not gonna talke Alus down. He's playing a numbers game and figuring Alus can't wipe out all the New People in the time it'll take him to heal and fly up to destroy the Satellite himself.

Which makes bringing in humans a high-risk strategy because if Alus captures them, he might be able to speed up his genocide and get it done before Cuadorn is able to stop him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cuadron's plan is bad. But it is bad for very understandable reasons. Cuadron sought help one time and it ended up with his friend brain-washed and the situation much worse. So he doesn't want to seek help again because he doesn't want to fail like that again. So the plan is bad because it's built on the goal of not repeating the same mistake, instead of the goal of actually winning. And the show acknowledges that the plan is bad, because the other characters are able to talk him out of it.

Cuadron's plan being bad isn't a flaw in the show, it's character building for Cuadron and explaining why Cuadron didn't get involved in the plot earlier.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like how the backstory feels very Turn A-esque. The Ancients were these technologically-advanced humans who fought in a terrible war that hosed up their planet badly, to the point that the survivors ended up traveling to the far reaches of the universe after everything was done. And with them gone, a new race of people eventually turned up to take care of the planet. Hell, Cuadorn fighting alongside the Ancients and speaking of needing time to recover from his injuries makes me think that he's like the Turn A or Turn X, a super-advanced machine built out of nanomachines.

maninthesuit posted:

But yeah, what happened to the ancients? Are the ancients ancestors of modern humanity? Are they/their ships chilling on the far side of the moon, waiting for humanity to develop the infrastructure they need to set up their transmitter without causing any weird questions to be asked? And given what they did to their own moon, is earth's moon a deathstar now?

My personal guess is that they ended up finding a new home somewhere in the universe and became Reiji's ancestors. Reiji being able to teleport and stay in Earth as long as it had Plavsky Particles sounds a lot like the Incarnation System in ReRise needing the shining sand for Hiroto and the others to get summoned.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well Build Divers manages to add another sin to its list.

The dubbed version of the first episode was in the links at the end of this week's ReRise ep and thought I'd check it out just to see how bad it is and... It's an actual properly-done version with American VA's :stare:. Why does Build Divers get to be the one Build show with a quality English dub? :argh:

I did a double-take when I saw the English cast for the dub. Hiroto's voiced by Billy Kametz, who was Josuke from Jojo Part 4 and Ferdinand from Fire Emblem Three Houses. Meanwhile, Kazami's voiced by Ray Chase, who played Bucciarati in Jojo Part 5 and Noctis in FF15. :allears:

Gripweed posted:

Cuadron's plan is bad. But it is bad for very understandable reasons. Cuadron sought help one time and it ended up with his friend brain-washed and the situation much worse. So he doesn't want to seek help again because he doesn't want to fail like that again. So the plan is bad because it's built on the goal of not repeating the same mistake, instead of the goal of actually winning. And the show acknowledges that the plan is bad, because the other characters are able to talk him out of it.

Cuadron's plan being bad isn't a flaw in the show, it's character building for Cuadron and explaining why Cuadron didn't get involved in the plot earlier.

I got the feeling that Cuadorn was aware that his plan was bad, and just really needed someone to talk him out of it. Even though he kept telling the others to leave, he didn't force them out or anything. He also and didn't stop listening to what the others had to say.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Neo wasn't a walking zombie but he was still brainwashed. Kira even comments that he didn't have *no* memories, he just had false memories. He was effectively overwritten with a different person. Neo was absolutely a bad person but he also was a false person who was specifically created to be loyal to the bad guys. The moment he's actually out of their hands the brainwashing starts to break down.

(Obviously that is Anime Bullshit but it's pretty common anime bullshit because otherwise you'd be blaming a whole lot of people for atrocities they commit while wearing an evil mask that cracks at the convenient right point to show their True Identity.)

I dunno, Neo is really, really different from your standard Gundam Brainwashing Victim, even in his own universe. He's lucid and trusted enough to be in an extremely important position of command authority - he's the overall commander for the entire Gundamjack mission and the entire Destroy Gundam campaign, operating independently from oversight from above. For these campaigns, if something is done, it's because he either ordered it or condoned it.

"But Mwu was brainwashed into Neo, and thus can't be held entirely responsible for his actions." Well, that's a point of contention. While Neo was absolutely brainwashed into being Neo, he doesn't seem to be subject to any of the mental or physical controls that brainwashing victims in Gundam are subject to to keep them under control. He doesn't have any kind of verbal kill switch or trigger like the Extended kids have, and he doesn't have any body modifications that make him dependent on receiving continual drugs or treatments to survive. The hold Djibril has over him seems confined entirely to threats rather than anything physiological or psychological; in effect, he's not a puppet. It's also made very clear that Neo is really uncomfortable with some of the warcrimier parts of Phantom Pain, and he's unhappy about what's happening to the Extended kids - he seems very sincere when he makes his promise to Shinn to have Stella not fight anymore - but then he follows his orders and commits the Berlin atrocity anyway, despite it being well within his power to stop.

In a grittier show Neo absolutely should have stood trial and been punished for his culpability in mass murder instead of being given a complete pass, because his level of independent authority and the absolute loyalty Stella showed to him meant that he absolutely could have saved tens of thousands of lives at the minimum.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

I don't think ReRise is a bad show by its own merits, I'm just arguing against people saying there's somehow one coherent narrative between it and the previous show when it's pretty obviously just disparate MMO Isekai stories stacked on top of eachother haphazardly.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Why did the MMO isekai get popular again all of a sudden anyway? I thought we had this back in the early 2000s?

Am I just old and this is an example of cyclical nature of tastes?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’d imagine its a combination of Sword Art Online’s success and the increasing digitalization of culture making the premise feel a bit more relevant than it did even in the era of the early 2000’s.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

I’d imagine its a combination of Sword Art Online’s success and the increasing digitalization of culture making the premise feel a bit more relevant than it did even in the era of the early 2000’s.

It’s the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I think the only prominent MMO isekai before Sword Art Online was .Hack?