Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Real loving tired of people from outside Seattle taking our loving tax money.

I pay king county taxes enthusiastically and wish I were taxed at an even higher rate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm confused, are they buying all the food? What is the actual problem, aside from them not taking protective measures that are not actually required at this time?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
How do you know the instacart/whatever shoppers are buying food for people in Seattle though? Couldn't it very well be people in or around your area who don't/can't go out?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I work in Amazon corporate and my team is basically expecting to be WFH for the most of May and we're operating on that timeline. There have been no emails from down the official channel on what the WFH guidance is past May 4th. I'd imagine we'll hear something officially soon, but as of now there is no policy to start shuffling us all back in yet, and anyone making assumptions on when we go back in is totally spitballing it.

They actually only just asked us the first "when would you feel safe coming to the office again" question on our daily questionnaire, so i'd expect to get something official by the end of this week. fwiw, I chose the option that I dont feel safe coming in again until testing is widely available.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

How do you know the instacart/whatever shoppers are buying food for people in Seattle though? Couldn't it very well be people in or around your area who don't/can't go out?

Oh I think they are buying food for people here. I’m pretty angry at them too. I don’t think it’s people that can’t get out.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Javid posted:

I'm confused, are they buying all the food? What is the actual problem, aside from them not taking protective measures that are not actually required at this time?

It’s the not taking protective measures. And driving thirty plus miles to buy groceries. I mean I get it the Whole Foods and PCC 15 or 20 miles away are limiting the numbers in the store. And it’s none of y’all.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

You aren’t in a position to say anything about anyone who doesn’t live in Seattle proper. How about you shut up about people you clearly know nothing about and turn down your nose to?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
We taught this man to cut potatoes. He can learn.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

This is chud posting, in a mirror.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Bar Ran Dun posted:

the people buying for whatever apps always stand out because they are always looking at the app

I hated those people even before this mess.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Dubious posted:

I work in Amazon corporate and my team is basically expecting to be WFH for the most of May and we're operating on that timeline. There have been no emails from down the official channel on what the WFH guidance is past May 4th. I'd imagine we'll hear something officially soon, but as of now there is no policy to start shuffling us all back in yet, and anyone making assumptions on when we go back in is totally spitballing it.

They actually only just asked us the first "when would you feel safe coming to the office again" question on our daily questionnaire, so i'd expect to get something official by the end of this week. fwiw, I chose the option that I dont feel safe coming in again until testing is widely available.

My expectation is that even as they allow non-essential businesses to resume, Inslee is still going to be asking companies to have people work from home as much as possible. I would venture that small workplaces that might fly under the radar are more likely to ask people to come back too early. Amazon is a big enough employer that if they ask all their white collar staff to start coming back into the office, the Gov's team will hear about it pretty quickly and Inslee would make a call saying "hey guys, what the gently caress, model some good behavior here for everyone else."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

gohuskies posted:

My expectation is that even as they allow non-essential businesses to resume, Inslee is still going to be asking companies to have people work from home as much as possible. I would venture that small workplaces that might fly under the radar are more likely to ask people to come back too early. Amazon is a big enough employer that if they ask all their white collar staff to start coming back into the office, the Gov's team will hear about it pretty quickly and Inslee would make a call saying "hey guys, what the gently caress, model some good behavior here for everyone else."

I really, really wish the folks in positions of authority would call out these small businesses when they pull poo poo like this. Not even by name, but whenever there’s a poo poo ton of ice out and roads are closed you always have rear end in a top hat managers and owners demanding that “everyone show up” because they haven’t been explicitly told otherwise.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Reene posted:

Friend in Seattle said Amazon Corporate is calling in people to start working as of next week. I thought poo poo was staying on ice until May?

I am very glad that my company was proactive about closing, and is being very conservative about opening back up. I work in a satellite office, so I will have even more flexibility on when I eventually go back in. I was already working 2 or 3 days a week from home before, so it really isn't a huge deal.

My wife works for UW medical, as an admin, her HR and boss are not gonna be as cool. They aren't pushing too hard, but I told my wife to remind them that I know where they live.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Our labor management meetings have been getting shoutier and shoutier.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

FRINGE posted:

I hated those people even before this mess.

I mean they’re gig workers making sub minimum wage so have some sympathy

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Varinn posted:

I mean they’re gig workers making sub minimum wage so have some sympathy

Part of my bias is no doubt from mostly seeing amazon delivery people piling hoarder orders into carts and then into their SUVs.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
No surprise but Inslee said today that the stay at home orders will be extended past May 4, apparently more details to come on Friday. They did put out a chart showing more specifically the metrics they're tracking to measure coronavirus risk and how safely we can allow non-essential activity to resume:

https://twitter.com/OlympiaJoe/status/1255617067350286337

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

He’s probably doing the best of any of the governors. Jesus I’m glad I don’t live in GA or FL.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Well, Olympia residents are gonna be having a lot of fun for the next few weeks.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Anyone have any thoughts on how Oregon is doing? Seems like a weird combo of not many cases but spotty testing and reporting and not much of a trend downwards so far.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on how Oregon is doing? Seems like a weird combo of not many cases but spotty testing and reporting and not much of a trend downwards so far.

The testing has been crap but other measures like hospitalizations and fatalities are also real low. I guess excess mortality figures show a jump in year over year deaths but not especially dramatic jump. https://www.oregonlive.com/health/2...-data-show.html

I think we spooked when we saw Seattle blow up and started to shut down pretty early in our curve maybe :shrug: but who knows really it’ll be months or years before the real numbers are out and we have a sense of what’s really happening. In general people seem to act like things are pretty calm here

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bar Ran Dun posted:

He’s probably doing the best of any of the governors. Jesus I’m glad I don’t live in GA or FL.

Seriously this and he doesn’t get enough credit for it. And gently caress anyone who ever says to me, “just leave the west coast and save a ton of money!”

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

gohuskies posted:

No surprise but Inslee said today that the stay at home orders will be extended past May 4, apparently more details to come on Friday. They did put out a chart showing more specifically the metrics they're tracking to measure coronavirus risk and how safely we can allow non-essential activity to resume:

https://twitter.com/OlympiaJoe/status/1255617067350286337

This "risk assessment dashboard" is actually pretty cool, they have it up as a website: https://coronavirus.wa.gov/what-you-need-know/covid-19-risk-assessment-dashboard

And you can see what things they think are going well (disease activity, health care system readiness) and which aren't (testing availability and ability to trace contacts) with links to more specific metrics. The whole thing is supposed to stay updated with new data and reflect where state government and public health is at on the dangers of the virus at the moment and what we need to address to allow more non-essential activity.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

i think we're doing okay overall. that being said, i work in healthcare for older adults with severe and persistent mental illness and 18 of our folks have died from covid related complications so i'm understandably concerned. i am also not convinced that deaths are being reported accurately in statewide statistics.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

DevNull posted:

I am very glad that my company was proactive about closing, and is being very conservative about opening back up. I work in a satellite office, so I will have even more flexibility on when I eventually go back in. I was already working 2 or 3 days a week from home before, so it really isn't a huge deal.

My wife works for UW medical, as an admin, her HR and boss are not gonna be as cool. They aren't pushing too hard, but I told my wife to remind them that I know where they live.

UW Medicine is hosed my friend. Projecting over 300 million in losses this year. Glad I'm in the union because I sure as gently caress do not want to get a salary cut. They're hoping to start elective surgeries again by the 18th.

Dubious posted:

A friend of mine works for T-Mobile and they have apparently extended their WFH through May. I would imagine most large employers will do the same.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

UW Medicine is hosed my friend. Projecting over 300 million in losses this year. Glad I'm in the union because I sure as gently caress do not want to get a salary cut. They're hoping to start elective surgeries again by the 18th.

My wife is also union. She works in the research part, so hopefully they won't be impacted as much.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm in rural Oregon. My county has 40ish cases total; 30 of them are currently considered recovered. 1 new case in the last 2 weeks. So, the shutdown worked in our case, but most people feel like it's about time for stuff to start relaxing a bit here.

e: anecdotally, the state tried to close the greenway here. It's the only safe bike route around but because 1/4 mile of it passes through a state park, the state thinks it belongs to them. Their barriers were removed by county LE with cutting tools pretty much immediately, because they need vehicle access to the hobo camps along said greenway. I assume the park is choosing winnable battles rather than butting heads with local authorities, because the barriers have remained down and people are using the path normally.

I have no significant complaints with the park itself closing down, but gently caress you if you expect to shut down the only safe bike path in the entire city

Javid fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 1, 2020

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Javid posted:

I'm in rural Oregon. My county has 40ish cases total; 30 of them are currently considered recovered. 1 new case in the last 2 weeks. So, the shutdown worked in our case, but most people feel like it's about time for stuff to start relaxing a bit here.

Honestly it’d be hilarious if southern and eastern Oregon opened back up and suddenly you had people driving five hours from happy valley or lake Oswego or whatever to go get haircuts. Not good. Just hilarious.

That said, how are Portland people feeling about Albert Lee? I kind of like what I’ve heard and seen. Earl Blumenauer isn’t particularly offensive, but I’m kind of itching to see if we can’t do better. Given the current state of things it’s not like there’s a ton of coverage. I’m curious what people think.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 1, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

xrunner posted:

Honestly it’d be hilarious if southern and eastern Oregon opened back up and suddenly you had people driving five hours from happy valley or lake Oswego or whatever to go get haircuts. Not good. Just hilarious.

That said, how are Portland people feeling about Albert Lee? I kind of like what I’ve heard and seen. Earl Blumenauer isn’t particularly offensive, but I’m kind of itching to see if we can’t do better. Given the current state of things it’s not like there’s a ton of coverage. I’m curious what people think.

I was at the meeting where DSA endorsed him and he seems good. He's getting my vote.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I met Lee at a fundraiser for universal preschool and he seemed pretty genuine. I don't have major problems with Blumenauer but I don't mind challenging him from the left one bit.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The Republican they got to run against Blumenauer last time was pretty funny.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

therobit posted:

The Republican they got to run against Blumenauer last time was pretty funny.

Good news! He’s trying again. https://tomharrison4congress.com/

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Inslee extended the stay at home order till May 31st. He’s gonna pay a massive political price for doing the right thing.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

Nucleic Acids posted:

Inslee extended the stay at home order till May 31st. He’s gonna pay a massive political price for doing the right thing.

I'm not sure if he will. This poll is a little old, from April 18-20, but it's WA specific and shows pretty massive support for social distancing and that people would rather err on the side of distancing too long rather than not long enough. Meanwhile the Republicans are sounding like absolute lunatics. https://crosscut.com/2020/04/poll-most-wa-voters-wary-reopening-economy-too-soon

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Meanwhile in Tacoma every time I've gone outside for some essential thing you wouldn't loving know there was a stay at home order until you pass by I5.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I don’t think he will either.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I feel like more and more people are just ignoring the order. Early on there were like no cars on the road but I went to the store yesterday and it was as if it was just business as usual level of traffic.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

CongoJack posted:

I feel like more and more people are just ignoring the order. Early on there were like no cars on the road but I went to the store yesterday and it was as if it was just business as usual level of traffic.

Yeah I genuinely get the impression that people support lockdown measures in like a political sense of "yeah things should be locked down" but when it comes to their behavior they're not really willing to give much up. People are mostly willing to follow the letter of the law by only going places they're allowed to but they're not putting much effort into cutting back on frequency.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I haven't gone anywhere but the grocery store, pharmacy, and veterinarian since 3/13. I'd wager I've left the block around my house less than a dozen times since schools closed.

It sucks and everything but it's necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Yeah, I think Inslee is going to be fine. Most folks are really happy they're here instead of one of the crazier states. There's a bunch of whiners out there, but things are slowly opening up anyway so they'll looks even more ridiculous as time passes.

Frankly the sort of folks who are steaming mad about this are the same sorts who scream about how your liberties are being taken away, how all the epidemeologists are lying and how there's a difference between dying with Covid-19 and dying of Covid-19. By that logic, AIDS doesn't kill anyone either.