Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Pick posted:

I would not have phrased it that way but I do think that the tone of the NYT article is that the accusation was not inherently credible. Obviously no one should say it was proven false. It can't be proven false.

The NY Times itself disagrees with that characterization. So why do you think the Biden campaign had a different interpretation? Why do you think that the Biden campaign changed the restrictions on his senate papers and their availability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Women who have worked for him and women who currently work with him, including women who take sexual assault allegations seriously and who I trust to act in good faith, like Gillibrand, have already done this.

I am doing this because I legitimately believe in due process, in evidence, and in sexual assault being treated as a serious enough crime that an accusation must be evaluated seriously and not be accepted or rejected on the grounds of its political convenience.

literally just the kav poo poo all over again. How can you say he did this, he hires so many women???? I hope he brings out a calendar next, maybe a screaming meltdown where he vows revenge on everyone.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Claiming you weren't sexualized and that you were "like a lamp" is not consistent with "forced me against a wall, kissed me without consent, inserted his fingers into my vagina, and yelled 'you're nothing!' when I did not reciprocate".

I read it as two very different things that are in reference to two very different scales of time

"Didn't feel sexualised [while working for him, generally, over the course of a few years]" does not preclude "he did extremely overtly sexualising things to me [once]"

Pick's original source posted:

“It happened at once,” Reade told the Times, describing the incident. “He’s talking to me and his hands are everywhere and everything is happening very quickly. He was kissing me and he said, very low, ‘Do you want to go somewhere else?’”

“He looked at me kind of almost puzzled or shocked,” she went on. “He said, ‘Come on, man, I heard you liked me.’”

“He pointed his finger at me and he just goes: ‘You’re nothing to me. Nothing,’” she added. “Then, he took my shoulders and said, ‘You’re OK, you’re fine.’”

This last part is probably the core thing- it didn't end with "you're nothing," it ended with an abuser's attempt to control the narrative. Speaking as a sexual abuse victim, that poo poo is what your brain clings to. It's okay, it's fine, it didn't happen the way I remembered. It's only after long, intense, extremely vulnerable conversations with folks who know this poo poo that you can actually accept that yeah you were actually hurt in a big way.

I suppose I should also let you know that, again, as a sexual abuse victim, I would not want to loving talk about what goddamn happened to my local paper, especially if I thought there was some way that my abuser could find out about it and hurt me with it. And Biden is a loving senator. He's got folks looking into any story that mentions him by name. I know this because I used to be one of the folks who listens to radio stories and summarises them for the companies and people whose names are mentioned. If you think there isn't a Biden staffer who read that piece and had to make a decision between "this is a priority A problem" and "well she's not saying anything too inflammatory, we don't need to pass this one on to the boss" then I invite you to admit your ignorance in good faith.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sexpig by night posted:

literally just the kav poo poo all over again. How can you say he did this, he hires so many women???? I hope he brings out a calendar next, maybe a screaming meltdown where he vows revenge on everyone.

Look, my choice this cycle was Warren, who I'm pretty sure never sexually assaulted anyone, including that swole Marine. I have posts making it clear Biden was not at all my first choice and that voting for him makes me shake my freakin' head. But I would never try to justify my distaste for Biden by declaring him guilty of something that I think it far from established and for which he has not yet been given the opportunity to address (which he will tomorrow).

I actually did make this mistake with Depp, and I had a lot of self-reflection about that afterwards. Especially since I realized I had been out of step with my own professed beliefs about due process.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it's weird I was super ready for the depression of 'actually we put our entire machine behind the guy who hates black people and loves drones, suck it losers' but I just so was not expecting 'also that entire #metoo thing was just a complete bougie movement that was a purely political exercise lead by the wealthy and powerful, and it's become inconvenient to that same group so it's dead now'.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/12/11/the-scientific-research-shows-reports-of-rape-are-often-murky-but-rarely-false/

quote:

In a 1996 study, researchers interviewed by questionnaire slightly more than 1,000 women at medical centers and 2,142 women at universities. The women were asked if they had been raped and to describe it, and if they had not suffered a sexual assault to describe another "intense life experience," marking whether it was positive or negative.

The researchers then conducted a statistical analysis of the responses and found that the results contradicted the widely held view that a major event that arouses strong emotions would be clearly remembered, since "the neural mechanisms underlying emotional memory suggest that any event that evokes intense arousal, positive or negative, could result in vivid and persistent memories."

To the contrary, they found that rape did not.

The rape memories reconstructed for the purpose of responding to the survey . . . were rated as less clear and vivid, less visually detailed, less likely to occur in a meaningful order, less well-remembered, less talked about, and less frequently recalled either voluntarily or involuntarily; with less sensory components including sound, smell, touch, and taste. . . . Memories of events that were unexpected and highly negative both in their emotional valence and in their consequences were differentiated from memories of pleasant life events.

Anyway, it's pretty funny that the people who swore they hated Biden and were only voting for him because Trump is worse are now here to Just Ask Questions about Tara Reade's story.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Look, my choice this cycle was Warren, who I'm pretty sure never sexually assaulted anyone, including that swole Marine. I have posts making it clear Biden was not at all my first choice and that voting for him makes me shake my freakin' head. But I would never try to justify my distaste for Biden by declaring him guilty of something that I think it far from established and for which he has not yet been given the opportunity to address (which he will tomorrow).

I actually did make this mistake with Depp, and I had a lot of self-reflection about that afterwards. Especially since I realized I had been out of step with my own professed beliefs about due process.

my distaste for biden is because he's a racist, anti-poor, imperialist who's also just kinda annoyingly stupid. I had no issue contextualizing that before this. This is just kinda a whole fresh layer to add to the very valid reasons I had to find him repulsive as a human and a politician.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Mat Cauthon posted:

He will definitely try, I don't think he'll come anywhere near being the nominee.

Name recognition is a huge advantage both with voters and donors, and Pete is already well liked by the donor class. He is going to be on the ground canvassing and building an operation months before anyone else even announces they are running. No one else really came out of 2020 well positioned for a future run, so he is going to have a much easier time. Heck, he probably already has a team working on building him into the most consultant-approved candidate for 2024.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

is pepsi ok posted:

the people who swore they hated Biden and were only voting for him because Trump is worse

This is literally every current Biden supporter. There has not yet been one person on this entire forum or an all of twitter to fail to preface a full-throated defense of Biden with "he wasn't my first choice."

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

TyrantWD posted:

Name recognition is a huge advantage both with voters and donors, and Pete is already well liked by the donor class. He is going to be on the ground canvassing and building an operation months before anyone else even announces they are running. No one else really came out of 2020 well positioned for a future run, so he is going to have a much easier time. Heck, he probably already has a team working on building him into the most consultant-approved candidate for 2024.

I don't think Pete's going to do much more than be the Adlai Stevenson of the 2020's. But maybe he'll pull a Biden and after years of not accomplishing anything will leap to the front because rich people said so. Bleh. Whatever, if that happens I'll just write in Bernie again.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
His best move would be to say hey folks my brains are scrambled i can't remember anything ah, sorry, i shouldn't have put it that way. Well, anyway,

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

sexpig by night posted:

it's weird I was super ready for the depression of 'actually we put our entire machine behind the guy who hates black people and loves drones, suck it losers' but I just so was not expecting 'also that entire #metoo thing was just a complete bougie movement that was a purely political exercise lead by the wealthy and powerful, and it's become inconvenient to that same group so it's dead now'.

Career candidates who hate black people don't tend to perform phenomenally well with black voters like Biden did

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there is more evidence for harassment and retaliation and firing than for rape

biden should be rejected from the nomination for harassment, let alone retaliation

there is sufficient evidence for the rape allegation / insufficient evidence against that i believe it, given the baseline we as human beings should work with

this. 100% this.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

nivdes posted:

Career candidates who hate black people don't tend to perform phenomenally well with black voters like Biden did

Clinton called them superpredators and did fine

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

sexpig by night posted:

Nevermind that people like Amy "Tiger Mom" Chua are on the record telling their daughters to "dress like models" if they wanted to get a gig in Kavanaugh's office.

TyrantWD posted:

I think Pete is too inherently weaselly to ever get to high in the halls of power but I've been wrong before.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1255902007665229826

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nivdes posted:

I mean, they do because the ones on our side tend to cloak themselves in 'well okay but that other guy's gonna call you the n-word and shoot at you, I just think you need to stay in your place in the ghetto and pull your pants up'.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mat Cauthon posted:

Nevermind that people like Amy "Tiger Mom" Chua are on the record telling their daughters to "dress like models" if they wanted to get a gig in Kavanaugh's office.

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1255902007665229826

Gah remember when everyone was freaking out that The Onion's new ownership had ties to Clinton

Hm

Hm

Oh dear

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

TyrantWD posted:

It'll really help him in 2024 after he receives the endorsements of every single black person in America.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Howard Stern brings in his old friend, 'King Of All Blacks' with an exciting endorsement

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

So, none of us know for sure what happened in 1993. Luckily, we are not on a jury tasked with determining Mr. Biden's freedom or incarceration. We're voters, deciding whether we trust this guy and want him to be president. The question of due process is inapplicable. He's not in a court proceeding over this.

So, what do you all think happened? How does that make you feel? I can answer for myself. Based on how Biden has behaved on camera for decades, I'm 100% that he's made many women feel extremely uncomfortable. Based on the Larry King tape, the bizarre decision to hide away records, and not addressing this directly for weeks, I'm drat close to 100% there was some harassment and retaliation. By the way, that by itself is enough to be disqualifying.

On the heavier accusation of sexual assault, I'm not 100% sure. I don't know the number, but it's somewhere pretty close to the same way I felt about Kavanaugh. I think he probably did it.

Since metoo became a thing it was obvious to everyone that someday someone would weaponize it with a false allegation. I do not believe that the Tara Reade allegation is that. I do not believe Kristine Blasey Ford's was either. I acknowledge a slim possibility that either or both of them could have been, since none of us have absolute knowledge of what happened on those dates. So, don't put Biden in prison for this. But I don't think I can support him for president.

Do put him in prison for the crimes of the Obama administration, though.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Somfin posted:

This is literally every current Biden supporter. There has not yet been one person on this entire forum or an all of twitter to fail to preface a full-throated defense of Biden with "he wasn't my first choice."

When was the last time a Democrat that nobody really liked won? Hillary Clinton was far better positioned than Biden, IMO, because she actually had a base of support. In my lifetime all of the "safe" choices have lost. All of the exciting choices have won, mostly due to God teir personal charisma. Kerry, Gore, Hillary were all supposed to be electable and then.... Whoops! I just don't understand how anyone fell for this again.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Somfin posted:

Gah remember when everyone was freaking out that The Onion's new ownership had ties to Clinton

Hm

Hm

Oh dear

This is her first salvo in her fight for the nomination.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Hellblazer187 posted:

When was the last time a Democrat that nobody really liked won? Hillary Clinton was far better positioned than Biden, IMO, because she actually had a base of support. In my lifetime all of the "safe" choices have lost. All of the exciting choices have won, mostly due to God teir personal charisma. Kerry, Gore, Hillary were all supposed to be electable and then.... Whoops! I just don't understand how anyone fell for this again.

The tone around Biden is exactly the same as it was around Hillary. The only thing she had going for her was that her brain hadnt turned to mush, but with the sexism factor it probably balances out. Biden’s favorability rating is like 25 points better than hers was at this time.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/FredTJoseph/status/1255908717620576263?s=19

I'd make some effortpost about how :effort: this is, but... seriously, I just can't right now.

This feels like it has to be deliberate at this point.

https://twitter.com/ASPertierra/status/1255942560549408771

Edit:

https://twitter.com/HCTrudo/status/1256029593359745025
https://twitter.com/HCTrudo/status/1256029907630555137

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 1, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TyrantWD posted:

The tone around Biden is exactly the same as it was around Hillary. The only thing she had going for her was that her brain hadnt turned to mush, but with the sexism factor it probably balances out. Biden’s favorability rating is like 25 points better than hers was at this time.

biden also doesnt have the big right wing hate machine going at him for 30 plus years like Clinton did. at worst they viewed him a gaffe man or whatever. he was never the great satan to these assholes.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
Shouldn't the plan for the left re: the general election be somehow coordinating the protest vote as much as possible? Instead of some writing in Bernie or Batman, some voting Green, and some abstaining. Have there been any attempts on the left to do so? Or is there something I'm missing that makes it not worth it or unfeasible?

I don't know what the state of the US is going to be in November, but I imagine staying home will let whoever handwave any drop in turnout as being because of Corona and not a statement on the candidates.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yes, but there were a lot of people who really wanted to vote for the first woman president, and truly admired Clinton. Nobody admires Biden.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
At the end of the day my thought on Biden boils down to my thought on Kavanaugh, which is there's a bunch of other people you can pick from without assault allegations, so why are you trying to force through the one with baggage? Like this is being exposed in April, just force the guy to drop out and move on with one of the 4 other people who aren't being accused of rape. Circling the wagons is only serving to discredit the party even more.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1256021233151377408

That sounds like a threat, Joe.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

There is a hosed up but beautiful symmetry between Biden's character assassinations of Anita Hill, and Biden fans' character assassinations of Tara Reade.

I guess he really is a role model :)

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Jimong5 posted:

At the end of the day my thought on Biden boils down to my thought on Kavanaugh, which is there's a bunch of other people you can pick from without assault allegations, so why are you trying to force through the one with baggage? Like this is being exposed in April, just force the guy to drop out and move on with one of the 4 other people who aren't being accused of rape. Circling the wagons is only serving to discredit the party even more.

He isn't being "forced through," he has legitimately won the nomination.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

nivdes posted:

The nomination hasn't been decided yet

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Somfin posted:

Hm

Hm

Oh dear

Univision sold it 2 years ago

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Roland Jones posted:

This feels like it has to be deliberate at this point.

https://twitter.com/ASPertierra/status/1255942560549408771

It must have truly been a different time because imagine the justified shitstorm if a prominent politician pulled something like this today.

Why is Biden going anywhere near Dodd?

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Somfin posted:

The nomination hasn't been decided yet

This means about as much as "the electors haven't cast their votes"

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

nivdes posted:

The amount of interference being run for him on this feels forced to me. Groups that have normally made it their mission to apply pressure for accountability are not doing that and have all but stepped aside. Like imagine the media pressure if this was Bernie. The force involved is trying to quash this in order to not interfere with getting Joe the nomination. Again, why even defend the guy when he's publicly shown a pattern of creepy behavior and there are 4 other candidates they could sub in quite easily.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

nivdes posted:

This means about as much as "the electors haven't cast their votes"

Inasmuch as it means that he hasn't

nivdes posted:

legitimately won the nomination

then yes they do mean the same thing.

Plus, if you think that this has been a legitimate election, you're quite wrong.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Somfin posted:

Can you try, please, to explain how the 1993 Larry King call fits into your assessment that she's making it up? This is a super heavy sticking point for me and I don't understand why people aren't engaging with it.
The person I was just arguing with on Facebook has taken the galaxy-brain position that no one can prove it's actually Tara Reade's mother on that call.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I hate Joe Biden.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yes, but there were a lot of people who really wanted to vote for the first woman president, and truly admired Clinton. Nobody admires Biden.

Yeah, but even more people hated her. Inspite of everything the majority of people don't just hate Joe Biden the same way.

But I do, I loving hate Joe Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think Trump ruined his chances with Covid-19, where it would take a truly miraculous rebound for him to win. I can't vote for Biden, but I think it would take a really dedicated smear campaign to make it close.

Which is possible with Biden, but I don't trust Trump to do it well, since you'll see GOP strategist want to push the sexual predator angle but Trump will treat it like it doesn't matter.