Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Thank you. I was just about to post that when I saw Argle's post. My hatred for Faith of the Heart knows no bounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Richard Dean Manderson?

Don’t know if joke but Paris was played by Robert Duncan McNeill.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Oh I forgot how racist this Snatch game was. Oof.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some more TOS episodes I finished recently-

Shore Leave- One of the goofy episodes but not too bad. I do think the concept of turning everyone’s thoughts into reality is a really bad idea though, as proven by the plot of this episode. I read that they were going to have a live elephant in this episode but it didn’t work out

The Galileo Seven- Another quality episode. The only real issue I have is the very poor alien costumes. I was surprised how much poo poo the 3 Ensign Randos gave to Spock throughout this episode. They start talking poo poo about him almost as soon as they get down to the planet. But it’s a good episode where Spock gets overconfident and has to improvise to keep most of the stranded crew alive

The Squire of Gothos- I had heard before that Trelayne was one of the inspirations for Q, and wow it’s almost a total rip off. The guy even puts Kirk on trial near the end of the episode. It was very entertaining even if it felt like a TNG Q episode. The actor that plays Trelayne dials his performance up to 11 and snaps off the dial

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

The actor that plays Trelayne dials his performance up to 11 and snaps off the dial

Also the same actor who plays Koloth in The Trouble With Tribbles (and in that one DS9 episode that reunites Koloth, Kang, and Kor).

Dude was good at hamming it up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I didn’t even recognize him, but I do distinctly remember Koloth being over the top in Trouble with Tribbles

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
DS9's theme is best just cuz when you start watching the series you're like "wow this is very understated compared to the bombastic TMP/TNG theme" and then by the time you're done watching the series you associate it with how good the last half the show is and you're like DUNNNN DUNNNN DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN gently caress YAH DUNNNN DUNNN DAAAAA NAAAAAAH gently caress YEAH DUNNNN NANANA NANANANAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*Typing that out made me realize that it's obv written to be a love letter to Nana Visitor and I fully understand.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

slow down on the space drugs there

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
No, no, more space drugs.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I vape snakeleaf

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

I vape snakeleaf
You wanna buy some death sticks?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Making sure this doesn't get lost from last page. Super interesting video about the visual effects of TNG's exterior ship scenes, what could have been, and why they went the direction they did.

Seeing the test for a pure CGI ship had me thinking, "wow, that looks surprisingly good, would have loved to see the series in this style!" Then they smash cut to an actual clip of TNG, and that thought went immediately out the window! It hammers home the point that not only did the physical models look far superior to CGI back then, some of those 30-year-old scenes still look better than modern CGI! The final aired shots they show off are absolutely gorgeous! :syoon:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's funny, going CGI would have given them more VFX freedom (at lower fidelity) but the time involved to render the effects would likely mean even FEWER effects than what we got.

The 6 foot Enterprise D model is just so beautiful and the model existing only served to make any CG incarnations of it better. That's on of the reasons why The Orville looks so good too since it was actually built and filmed for the first season before being transitioned to digital.

I think having the physical object as the basis for your effects helps give them a sense of weight and by training the artists through camera passes of a physical model, you are better able to establish a style that lends more to realism.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Zurui posted:

Officers and crew, I come bearing something GLORIOUS

Ricardo Montalban: "You became sexually aroused in MY body!"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Up to "The Visitor" in my DS9 rewatch and I have no idea how long it's going to take me to get around to it. I have a really hard time with it emotionally. The last time I watched it was shortly after my step dad passed away to pancreatic cancer and it just loving wrecked me.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Doggles posted:

Making sure this doesn't get lost from last page. Super interesting video about the visual effects of TNG's exterior ship scenes, what could have been, and why they went the direction they did.

Seeing the test for a pure CGI ship had me thinking, "wow, that looks surprisingly good, would have loved to see the series in this style!" Then they smash cut to an actual clip of TNG, and that thought went immediately out the window! It hammers home the point that not only did the physical models look far superior to CGI back then, some of those 30-year-old scenes still look better than modern CGI! The final aired shots they show off are absolutely gorgeous! :syoon:

yeah the early renders didn't show much promise, but the later ones looked pretty decent and I was feeling the same way you were. back then it probably would have looked just fine doing the CG over the models since it was broadcast on lovely NTSC to everyone's low quality TV set anyway. quality-wise the filmed vs CG versions would probably look about the same in practice.

who knew that decades later CBS would go through and remaster all of those ship scenes in HD to look absolutely loving amazing, like truly beautiful even now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Animal-Mother posted:

I can hear this in the voice he uses to explain ear worms to Chekov.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Buried alive!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Regarding ENT theme chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P4IlgtwHmA

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Animal-Mother posted:

Picardo's face in response to Seven saying that is some A+ scenery chewing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doggles posted:

One really interesting part of that video is early ILM test footage of the Enterprise-D model where the Bussard collectors appear to have been lit with shifting pattern effect, sort of like what the Enterprise-E had.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Animal-Mother posted:

Picardo Montalban

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

...That fits frighteningly well.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One really interesting part of that video is early ILM test footage of the Enterprise-D model where the Bussard collectors appear to have been lit with shifting pattern effect, sort of like what the Enterprise-E had.

That was part of the initial design, as I recall. It was dropped due to cost concerns (I think Image G pitched a loving fit to ILM, saying they didn't have the resources to do those kinds of lighting passes).

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Is there a particularly good Seven of Nine episode that I can recommend to someone who wants a bit more background before watching Picard?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

I contend this is the funniest line in all Star Trek

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

Is there a particularly good Seven of Nine episode that I can recommend to someone who wants a bit more background before watching Picard?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Doggles posted:

I've seen and read a lot about the VFX work on both TOS and TNG, but even so I never really appreciated just how much they invented for both series until watching this video. The intricacy of internal model lighting, computer-controlled multi-pass recording, frame-matched composite syncing, multiple novel external lighting techniques, hell even building "miniatures" so freaking big to get the proper sense of scale, it's insane how much Trek has been bringing visual effects forward since the beginning.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Above it all, you have to really appreciate the luck in having ILM involved at both the formative stages of the VFX development and the stuff they did for the movies that they could then reuse in the series.

That's not too say the design would have suffered, since Probert was doing it regardless. It's just that the D may have been at the same level of detail as the Enterprise C or whatever alien ship if the week was instead of the beautifully detailed thing we got.

I mean, we've all seen the 4ft model. Imagine if that was the main hero model. Ew.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 2, 2020

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Sash! posted:

I contend this is the funniest line in all Star Trek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB-VT7wxLsQ

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Amazing.

I need to get around to figuring out how to update my Styles-whittling-his-fingers-off-for-eternity into a fancy new biggeravatar. Don't think the original creator (Huggs Boson) posts anymore tho?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s not a proud thing to think but Voyager is likely the (deliberately) funniest Trek.

Zurui posted:

I suppose the obvious place to start is the Scorpion 2 parter. There’s “The Raven” shortly after that which is literally about Seven’s background.

After that it’s mostly the usual Voyager affair of episodes that focus on a character but don’t mean much in the long run. “The Omega Directive” isn’t particularly important but it is a Seven focused episode. “One” is a decent Seven/Doctor episode. “Drone” is a Seven episode that has her do some emotional fixing with her Borg side.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

While I’m poking my head in this thread what’s the consensus on the Avenue 5? I loved the Orville fwiw.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Avenue 5 is the most bonechilling prediction of future events that has ever existed.

It starts off as a dark comedy and degenerates into full on existential horror.

You need to watch it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Avenue five is one of my favorite shows of the last 10 years.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

CPColin posted:

Picardo Montalban

Captain Jean-Luc Picardo.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Today is Dwayne Johnson's birthday, so everyone should go watch Tsunkatse tonight.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Zurui posted:

I'd say Child's Play and Imperfection lay some important groundwork for the relationship between Seven and Icheb. The Picard series assumes you know their backgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Pick posted:

Avenue five is one of my favorite shows of the last 10 years.

Gonz posted:

Avenue 5 is the most bonechilling prediction of future events that has ever existed.

It starts off as a dark comedy and degenerates into full on existential horror.

You need to watch it.

Huh, really? I watched the 1st episode, which was alright but nothing special, and couldn’t see where it was going to go after that. I guess I should keep watching?