Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Umm what?

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1256211679886675969

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

...there's 100 Senators. How on EARTH do they not have the capacity to test a hundred people?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

evilweasel posted:

that's great but i feel compelled to ask how certain are you that doesn't just mean bad news about an upcoming 5-4 supreme court decision or a state supreme court decision (i have no idea if your state supreme court is as hosed as Wisconsin's) :v:

edit: also is that going to fix your state-level legislature gerrymandering so even if the legislature isn't retaken in 2020, it can be in 2022?

It's already survived a couple court challenges, and yeah it covers state legislative districts as well. Michigan: Not always terrible! :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

...there's 100 Senators. How on EARTH do they not have the capacity to test a hundred people?

Hey we’re in a deficit we got to save money somewhere.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I actually have some hope for Michigan, a guy I fought in Afghanistan with has been super involved with Detroit politics since he got out and his wife rode the 2018 wave to the secretary of state job. He's been making it sound like the state (and Detroit) is actually turning a corner.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I assume it's the ability to test all senators, their key staffers, and get the results back quickly before a senator rand pauls everyone

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's already survived a couple court challenges, and yeah it covers state legislative districts as well. Michigan: Not always terrible! :v:

that's awesome, that should make it possible to significantly reform the state soon

it's really awful how many states were perma-locked into republican legislatures after 2010 and it's great that's getting rolled back

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Jarmak posted:

I actually have some hope for Michigan, a guy I fought in Afghanistan with has been super involved with Detroit politics since he got out and his wife rode the 2018 wave to the secretary of state job. He's been making it sound like the state (and Detroit) is actually turning a corner.

The issue is what chaos the GOP will unleash before the gerrymandering is overturned and we vote in 2022. They have 2 more years to stonewall and cause trouble before we can vote with ungerrymandered districts. I hope we are turning the corner for sure but im very concerned they are going to try and scuttle the ship before we can actually get control.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

evilweasel posted:

I assume it's the ability to test all senators, their key staffers, and get the results back quickly before a senator rand pauls everyone

That is what I thought too - but it turns out they actually mean they cannot do 100 tests for all senators to make sure no one is currently a carrier. From the article:

quote:

The Capitol’s attending physician said Thursday that coronavirus tests will be available for staffers and senators who are ill, but not enough to proactively test all 100 senators as the chamber comes back in session, according to two people familiar with the matter.

In a conference call with top GOP officials, Dr. Brian Monahan said there is not sufficient capacity to quickly test senators for coronavirus — a contrast with the White House, where any people meeting with President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence are tested for the disease. Monahan said test results in the Senate will take two or more days, while the White House has rapid testing.

God, everything is so dumb.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

pence said he didn't have to wear a mask because he gets tested. apparently he meant 25-30 times a day

and every time trunp meets someone he screams "TEST! DO I HAVE COVID? TEST? TEST? TEST?" until he gets frustrated and breaks it. that's easily 20-30 a day as well.

and jared keeps fake coughing and demanding to be left alone with the test. after a few minutes doctors go back into the empty room and the test is gone and jared's wallet is fatter. the air smells thick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

IBroughttheFunk posted:

That is what I thought too - but it turns out they actually mean they cannot do 100 tests for all senators to make sure no one is currently a carrier. From the article:

God, everything is so dumb.
This is insane

They need to figure it out before they come back

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is a non-sequiter. Not voting is still participating in "the system." Hoping that if Trump wins again, the Democrats will elect AOC is trusting the system to work. You are the person standing there thinking "This system is garbage - I hope the high priest dies of natural causes soon." If your problem is with the system itself (i.e., the specific form of representative democracy in use in the US), the only way to fight that system from outside of it is to forcibly overthrow it. Show up at the Democratic convention with a bunch of people and try to force electors to vote Sanders - bribe them, blackmail them, prevent the ones who refuse from voting. Anything less is admitting that the system is, in fact, the system, and we have no choices beyond what group of innocent people gets sacrificed. Saying "I'm not going to participate in voting on which people get sacrificed" doesn't actually save anybody and doesn't change the system. You're the "And yet you participate in it. I am very smart." guy.

Also, you're image-leaching from Reddit.

Edit: didn't see the new general election thread sorry

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 1, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

At this point I'm not sure Trump even understands what a test is, even if he's literally being tested every day.

He's probably never signed whatever thing he was supposed to sign that said "ok make more tests now" and so nobody ever did

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This is loving hilarious.

Early this week I started feeling pretty sick. Given I work at a hospital and a someone I was working with on a project recently tested positive for Covid, Occupational Health told me to go get tested at the in-house staff clinic.

I had my (negative) results in less that 12 hours. And I caught a glimpse of the list of other people being tested and there was at least 40 names on that day. If a small clinic at one hospital can pump through results that fast there's no way in hell the loving United States Senate can't quickly find out their results in a city with several major hospitals like Washington.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Maybe the executive is intercepting supplies meant for the legislative branch, too. :tinfoil:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

This is loving hilarious.

Early this week I started feeling pretty sick. Given I work at a hospital and a someone I was working with on a project recently tested positive for Covid, Occupational Health told me to go get tested at the in-house staff clinic.

I had my (negative) results in less that 12 hours. And I caught a glimpse of the list of other people being tested and there was at least 40 names on that day. If a small clinic at one hospital can pump through results that fast there's no way in hell the loving United States Senate can't quickly find out their results in a city with several major hospitals like Washington.

Those testing supplies are needed for the federal Strategic National Stockpile, comrade

Doctor Butts posted:

Maybe the executive is intercepting supplies meant for the legislative branch, too. :tinfoil:

efb

Do you think Jared Kushner is competent enough to not hijack supplies meant for Congress?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Doctor Butts posted:

At this point I have to think Jared has pocketed every single test and ventilator and PPE he can to sell off to corporations

It's the only explanation for this nonsense

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The feds haven't been able to locate a shipment to confiscate

Jarmak posted:

That state, for the most part, wants to move forward. It's the more rural areas, which there are many, that want to keep electing douche bags and cock nozzles because "dems are satan". Most anywhere you find industry and education, the general position is "make things better".

We're not totally a suck state, we have our moments.
At least we aren't Florida

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 1, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

At this point I have to think Jared has pocketed every single test and ventilator and PPE he can to sell off to corporations

Several governors have said as much. They are seizing orders and then giving them to middlemen to jack up the price. Plus his brother owns some medical company.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Several governors have said as much. They are seizing orders and then giving them to middlemen to jack up the price. Plus his brother owns some medical company.

the impression I get is that nobody is exactly sure what is going on, because most organizations currently don't dare go public with what happened to them for fear of trump administration retaliation through making sure they don't get any more PPE at all

but that as soon as the crisis is over, there's an immense buried scandal there that much bigger than what has peeked out so far

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Weird how several professional basketball teams got their entire organization tested within a matter of days but Congress somehow can't do the same.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i'm legitimately surprised that after weeks of fox news and the chudosphere handing out their marching orders to their idiot base, the needle has barely budged in republicans' favor. polling has remained remarkably steady with high numbers of chuds thinking that we shouldn't end the lockdown too early. i figured after all this time, they'd fall in line, but surprisingly they haven't.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SocketWrench posted:

At least we aren't Florida

This should be every non-Florida state motto :v:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

TulliusCicero posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

This seems like the actual no-poo poo Boy Wonder Strategic Plan.

Seize every piece of equipment they possibly can.
"Look at how many supplies we have in the stockpile! Wow! We were so well prepared!" "By the infinite mercy and wisdom of Dear Leader, here are some supplies from the national stockpile, peasant."
Claim to be our benevelont saviors since they've hoarded a large portion of the supplies produced and purchased nationwide.
Gotta get that grift money, so sell off some of the PPE at inflated prices. No one will notice ;)

I expect in a year or two this will come out as a massive scandal.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

evilweasel posted:

the impression I get is that nobody is exactly sure what is going on, because most organizations currently don't dare go public with what happened to them for fear of trump administration retaliation through making sure they don't get any more PPE at all

but that as soon as the crisis is over, there's an immense buried scandal there that much bigger than what has peeked out so far

My guess is that someone somewhere for a major newspaper is muckraking and going to get a Pulitzer

That or John Oliver will one day just blow the lid off it

I imagine a massive racket with Jared and the Trump Org directly profiting, as well as preferential treatment for red states (we already have the senators of Red states thanking Trump for "fast action"; what if it comes out shipments meant for New York were sold at cut rate prices to Wyoming or Florida?)

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 1, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

My guess is that someone somewhere for a major newspaper is muckraking and going to get a Pulitzer

That or John Oliver will one day just blow the lid off it

I imagine a massive racket with Jared and the Trump Org directly profiting, as well as preferential treatment for red states (we already have the senators of Red states thanking Trump for "fast action)

I know Talking Points Memo has been repeatedly trying to get to the bottom of it but has pretty explicitly said that people are terrified of retaliation.

The best case scenario appears to be that the feds are just massively incompetent and are desperate to have more PPE to distribute, and are just using states as essentially purchasing agents and then stealing their supplies to redistribute as Gifts From Dear Leader. So far they haven't found a clear red state/blue state preference, but it does appear a significant amount gets distributed as personal largesse by Kushner and the like to people who want to be locally important by personally asking for supplies for their local hospital (and getting them).

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This should be every non-Florida state motto :v:

Florida's can be "At least we aren't Alabama."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How likely is it that they’re selling the stuff to other countries

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How likely is it that they’re selling the stuff to other countries

Certainly possible and totally up the Kush "Master of Foreign Policy"'s alley

I could see Saudi Arabia, Israel, and Russia all getting some preferential treatment

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256243856166850560 https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256202305680158720 https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1256193615724007425

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Just FYI there is a pretty big strike organized for today:

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1255502649513959428?s=19

https://twitter.com/notallbhas/status/1256069122913419264?s=19

Don't cross the line.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the house is apparently less than pleased about amazon's habit of lying to it:

quote:

House lawmakers investigating Amazon for antitrust violations demanded on Friday that Jeff Bezos, the company’s chief executive, agree to testify at an upcoming hearing or face a potential subpoena that would force him to appear.

The dramatic escalation between members of Congress and the e-commerce giant follows reports that Amazon employees tapped data from third-party sellers in its marketplace to make decisions about launching its own competing products, perhaps giving the company a market advantage over smaller rivals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/05/01/amazon-jeff-bezos-testify/

Mat Cauthon posted:

Don't cross the line.

that darn house, crossing the picket line by ordering a jeff bozos from amazon today :argh:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

evilweasel posted:

Yeah this is my thinking too.

Jared is stealing supplies to make it look like the administration is semi-competently organizing a response. Meanwhile he's sending a disproportionate amount to red states to make blue states look bad.

Boy Wonder represents the fail-son apotheosis. He's a huge idiot that has never faced any consequences for his massive fuckups, and that unearned confidence has been boosted to the stratosphere by him being Daddy Trump's golden boy for 3+ years.

Kushner is so convinced he's untouchable he's also reselling some of the supplies. He deserves a little grift, as a treat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean look at how the Republican Governor of Maryland has had to use the state national guard to guard the PPE/supplies they have been buying. It also happened in Miami and Massachusetts where blue states/localities had their purchases seized

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fritz the Horse posted:

I expect in a year or two this will come out as a massive scandal.

If you didn't I'd have to ask you what rock you've lived under

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So, uh, what the gently caress is going on with Elon Musk today

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1256239554148724737

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1256239815256797184

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1256240766600409088

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

he's high as a loving kite on some real bad drugs op

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

evilweasel posted:

he's high as a loving kite on some real bad drugs op

He's overleveraged to gently caress and his empire is about to collapse because coronavirus kicked out the last strut from underneath it. It's why he's been begging for bailout money, then for America to reopen.

There's a fairly good chance that in 10 years' time we look back on Tesla like we look back on Enron today.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

These people should get better pay and benefits. They're declared essential and yet they get thrown under the bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

He’ll be caught naked jacking off on a street corner soon enough.