Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

EverettLO posted:

I have to admit, I've always been charmed by Harn since it represents a type of gameplay and a type of grog that has basically gone extinct: the type that thinks medieval fantasy should have heavier focus on the medieval than the fantasy. Presumably the same type who enjoyed the premise behind Fantasy Wargaming: The Highest Level of All.
I think they didn't go extinct so much as find that Ars Magica was a better home for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Comstar posted:

Against my better judgement, I've backed the Torchbearer 2nd ed kickstarter. I'm only doing it because I really liked the GM world building description rules and it seems to make really clear what an OD&D region should be like.

It sounds like from the backer plan you really need the extra counters/card/coins to help keep track of things. Can someone point me somewhere where I can see or read how you use them? The kickstarter talks about wooden holders you put them in, but I cannot visualise how that would work but it sounds like it's a key way to keep the tracking of light/food/hit points manageable and not a encumbrance level nightmare.

Counters and cards are really helpful to run Torchbearer. The game I am running right now uses the cards for equipment reference, conditions, and conflicts. It's possible without them but our switch to playing online last month has reinforced how much they facilitate the game.

We use differently colored glass beads for counters. Another near-essential tool for bookkeeping each person's disposition in conflicts and light source consumption. The Kickstarter's coins seem fancy but not critical. Same for the card holders. A luxury play aid but you can just put the cards flat on the table, no big deal.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ankh does have a $50 God expansion option and the models look way better than the base ones but after reading the last few pages I'll probably pass on that and Wolfenstein.

I did end up investing a bit in Etherfields, please tell me that will be fine....

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Ankh does have a $50 God expansion option and the models look way better than the base ones but after reading the last few pages I'll probably pass on that and Wolfenstein.

I did end up investing a bit in Etherfields, please tell me that will be fine....

Assuming that it actually hits retail and CMON doesn't implode I might pick that expansion up just for the god models.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Posting for a friend who is kickstarting an illustrator-driven 5E bestiary tomorrow:

quote:

Hey friends, I wanted to let you all know about a new RPG Kickstarter we're launching tomorrow which has already garnered the site's coveted "Projects We Love" badge! EKPHRASTIC BEASTS is an artist-created illustrated bestiary for 5e, offering dozens of completely original monsters from some of today's most exciting weird illustrators.

This is a true passion project for all of us creators, as well as a way to stay active as artists right now, so please help us get the word out! If you write or blog about games, and would like a sneak preview of the project just comment below. Likewise if you're a GM and would like to play-test any of the beasties during the project campaign, drop a line!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/janaka/ekphrastic-beasts

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

CODChimera posted:

Awaken Realms seems to have a pretty consistent track record. I think Nemesis is done with all their language editions fulfillment and Tainted Grail wave 2 is out soon-ish, plus the new Nemesis kickstarter is launching soon. I'm sure Etherfields will be somewhat delayed due to the pandemic, but from their latest KS updates it seems like production should be starting by the end of the month on a lot of the components.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Awaken Realms is rock solid. I can’t think of anything that they haven’t delivered on, and the quality has been good. When they do find quality issues, they fix them at their cost. You pretty much can’t go wrong with them.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Etherfields does feel like their riskiest project simply because there's so much mystery box to it, but I've been really impressed with everything they've done so far and the preview stuff for it has been cool so I'm not super worried.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Not strictly TG, but adjacent. The driving force behind early SF/Fantasy fandom was women with typewriters and mimeograph machines. These are their stories in their own words:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forest-path-books/geek-elders-speak-in-our-own-voices

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Vidmaster posted:

Awaken Realms seems to have a pretty consistent track record. I think Nemesis is done with all their language editions fulfillment and Tainted Grail wave 2 is out soon-ish, plus the new Nemesis kickstarter is launching soon. I'm sure Etherfields will be somewhat delayed due to the pandemic, but from their latest KS updates it seems like production should be starting by the end of the month on a lot of the components.

Phew, this is my first KS. Actually I'm pretty interested in Nemesis as well, i'll probably get that. Just don't wanna go too crazy with too many different games...

malkav11 posted:

Etherfields does feel like their riskiest project simply because there's so much mystery box to it, but I've been really impressed with everything they've done so far and the preview stuff for it has been cool so I'm not super worried.

Honestly as long as I get the models I'll be happy because they look incredible so far. I got the creatures pack, thorn night and 5th player and am considering the alternate heroes pack as well. Did anyone else buy any addons? any others that I should really consider?

The Moon Monster posted:

Assuming that it actually hits retail and CMON doesn't implode I might pick that expansion up just for the god models.

Yeah I'd probably do the same, that expansion is the one thing making me want to back. I mean I won't but it's tempting. It must be so easy to spend a lot of money of these projects.

CODChimera fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 28, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

CODChimera posted:

Just don't wanna go too crazy with too many different games...

Ahahahahhahaaaaa.... that's cute.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Not strictly TG, but adjacent. The driving force behind early SF/Fantasy fandom was women with typewriters and mimeograph machines. These are their stories in their own words:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forest-path-books/geek-elders-speak-in-our-own-voices

Sounds interesting, but I can't see any information about it on that page, or on the publisher's page, so...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Guards of Atlantis 2 is up. Does anyone have any opinions on the game? How does it compare to other MOBA-likes?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

Awaken Realms is rock solid. I can’t think of anything that they haven’t delivered on, and the quality has been good. When they do find quality issues, they fix them at their cost. You pretty much can’t go wrong with them.

The game material from them is good but their minis are honestly kinda crummy in my experience. A far cry from their great looking renders. If you're just going to use them as game pieces straight out of the box they're fine, but they're disappointing especially considering they started as a commission painting studio.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

Posting for a friend who is kickstarting an illustrator-driven 5E bestiary tomorrow:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/janaka/ekphrastic-beasts

This is now live.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Guards of Atlantis 2 is up. Does anyone have any opinions on the game? How does it compare to other MOBA-likes?

So Very Wrong About Games Mark Bigmy is very fond of it. I was gonna give the rule book a read and maybe pledge for a basic package based on his rec.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

djfooboo posted:

So Very Wrong About Games Mark Bigmy is very fond of it. I was gonna give the rule book a read and maybe pledge for a basic package based on his rec.

The game is a very evocative of playing DOTA2 and works well mechanically. The author is willfully dense to the extent I am less likely to back the game because of it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The game is a very evocative of playing DOTA2 and works well mechanically. The author is willfully dense to the extent I am less likely to back the game because of it.
It’s also pretty much no-go for 2-player, right? 2vs2 team mainly?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The author is willfully dense to the extent I am less likely to back the game because of it.

I'm kinda curious what this means.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm kinda curious what this means.

When confronted about the nature of forgetfulness and the use of player aids, the designer thinks that it is thematic for players to forget to evoke MOBAs :psyduck: :

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2410644/campaign-draft-link/page/2
(scroll to defeldus' post)

and when confronted about female character art:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2405213/female-character-design

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

“The game has incomplete information. And the game expects players to (sometimes) make the wrong calls, based on that incomplete information.

Part of that incomplete information is coming from various stats on hero cards that change during the game, making it very very hard (I am yet to see someone to be able to do it) to remember the exact values of every card of every hero at all times.

Mistakes that come from not knowing the exact value on a card are expected to happen.”

That...doesn’t sound good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's correct in that it's very thematic to play in such an environment in bronze and silver leagues for those games. But nobody expects to play those games in bronze. In fact, they actually get very angry when they don't advance to platinum. :smoobles:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Well I guess that saves me some money.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

ketchup vs catsup posted:

“The game has incomplete information. And the game expects players to (sometimes) make the wrong calls, based on that incomplete information.

Part of that incomplete information is coming from various stats on hero cards that change during the game, making it very very hard (I am yet to see someone to be able to do it) to remember the exact values of every card of every hero at all times.

Mistakes that come from not knowing the exact value on a card are expected to happen.”

That does sound bad but is weird cos it's not true of the game. There is in fact absolutely no hidden information once you know the game, the only limit to known information is literally just your ability to remember a handful of cards, and every game we played we played with open disclosure of which cards we had purchased /had left etc so that people didn't have to try and remember and it works absolutely fine that way.

It's a really really good game, and one of very few team based games that plays nearly the same speed with any number of players and is enhanced with higher player counts. It does a great job of capturing the fun parts of MOBA while abstracting away anything that would slow down the game play.

However, because it's perfect information and zero luck, it also means it only really works with players of similar skill levels - otherwise less experienced players will absolutely get destroyed (just like actual mobas), and if you lose it is purely down to player error, which some people can find a bit harsh, and meant it didn't really fly for a couple of people in our group.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Kerro posted:

That does sound bad but is weird cos it's not true of the game. There is in fact absolutely no hidden information once you know the game, the only limit to known information is literally just your ability to remember a handful of cards, and every game we played we played with open disclosure of which cards we had purchased /had left etc so that people didn't have to try and remember and it works absolutely fine that way.

For some completely inexplicable reason the design thinks that makes his game bad. I agree with you - I'd actually go further, I'd say it makes the game BETTER.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

For some completely inexplicable reason the design thinks that makes his game bad. I agree with you - I'd actually go further, I'd say it makes the game BETTER.

Yes, I'd agree - it means that you can effectively play it as if it were a high level/competitive moba where you always know for certain whether you can get a kill shot at a certain point, whether a player has a defensive power available that you need to draw out, etc. It's super weird to me that the designer doesn't like it given the game they've designed.

Losing a match because you'd forgotten that someone's defend card had value 7 rather than value 6 seems.. not fun?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

The dude also had a real condescending tone in addition to having wrong opinions.

Maybe Level 99 will make a moba-like. They have a good sense of design and translate videogames pretty well.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

The obvious problem with this is that, in a MOBA, whether players forget a modifier or not, the computer remembers all of them. You might forget that you picked up that "+50% damage taken from fire" debuff a few rounds back, but the game still registers and applies that effect. In a TTRPG, if players forget a card or a modifier or whatever, odds are very good that it just doesn't get applied. That's not "fog of war" or "chaos of battle," that's rules being applied inconsistently.

You're right, this is bad game design.

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

GimpInBlack posted:

The obvious problem with this is that, in a MOBA, whether players forget a modifier or not, the computer remembers all of them. You might forget that you picked up that "+50% damage taken from fire" debuff a few rounds back, but the game still registers and applies that effect. In a TTRPG, if players forget a card or a modifier or whatever, odds are very good that it just doesn't get applied. That's not "fog of war" or "chaos of battle," that's rules being applied inconsistently.

You're right, this is bad game design.

That isn't the actual complaint about Guards II though. Each player has a hand of 5 cards and they will be playing 4 of them per round. Over the course of the game you will upgrade those cards, but your hand size does not increase. The BGG user was complaining that they couldn't keep track of all the stats on everyone cards over the course of the game. So to build on your example a player wouldn't forget to apply their +50% fire damage, instead what may happen is an opponent may not remember that you upgraded into that ability and be surprised when you play it.

This is a game with 22 characters and plays up to 10 people with each character having 5 starting cards and 13 upgrade cards. That's 180 unique cards that could be seen in the game and complaining that you can't keep track of all the stats on all those cards after a few plays seems a little ridiculous. Also, the game has simultaneous action selection so you don't get to know what card someone is playing until everyone reveals them, so if you were counting on someone playing a 3 defense card and they play a 4 defense card it's up to you to figure out how to make the most of the action you selected.

I imagine that much like a MOBA, high level players that put in hundreds of plays would get to know the decks of every character. I don't think it would be fair to listen to balance advice from a player that download League or Dota a week ago. Is Guards II a perfect game? I do not know, but the people that have been playtesting it for well over a year don't find that users complaint to be valid and do find the game to be amazing.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I found Battlecon unplayable until they provided the reference cards, so I imagine it's the same here. High skill ceilings are a good thing, but doing so by kneecapping the player isn't exactly the best way to go about it.

Like if the difference between a good and bad play is whether or not I took the effort to write info down on a piece of paper, it's not really a matter of skill, but of UI.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 29, 2020

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Everything you just wrote could also apply to large roster fighting video games, and BattleCon, which attempts to replicate those large roster fighting video games. But BattleCon still plays well with prefect information because knowing how to play a unique fighter is way more interesting than losing because you didn't research their frame data/cards beforehand. If learning a character's basic mechanics was all that it took to understand a matchup, then the game is a very shallow game.

Basically, "Can I bait out your main offense without taking a hit?" is far more interesting than "I forget that character has a dash."

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 29, 2020

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Agreed with that gb said. I think the only equivalent to this might be tracking cooldowns and it's been a while so I forget if that was displayed or player tracked. If it's player tracked, the equivalent would be keeping played cards face down in battlecon while they're in the queue. You should still have the player aid to know they exist and shouldn't be a gotcha.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

golden bubble posted:

Everything you just wrote could also apply to large roster fighting video games, and BattleCon, which attempts to replicate those large roster fighting video games. But BattleCon still plays well with prefect information because knowing how to play a unique fighter is way more interesting than losing because you didn't research their frame data/cards beforehand. If learning a character's basic mechanics was all that it took to understand a matchup, then the game is a very shallow game.

Basically, "Can I bait out your main offense without taking a hit?" is far more interesting than "I forget that character has a dash."

In a 1v1 game, sure. There is no way I would play a six player game with that much to keep track of.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Well Frosthaven is the top funded board game now at $12,412,492 and still climbing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah 3 hours left. I've backed it. I feel like I'd regret not backing the ~Board Game Darling~ sequel.

New video with Isaac Childres playing along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bK9gNEpp6I

Pity it's 4am and I'm going to bed :v:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

In related news, the digital Gloomhaven devs seem to have gone dark (no updates since March 15), so that's sorta disconcerting.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

In related news, the digital Gloomhaven devs seem to have gone dark (no updates since March 15), so that's sorta disconcerting.

Isn't it Asmodee Digital? They just throw stuff out to take the money and run, which made all the moralizing over their TTS takedowns pretty laughable. Even when they are only the publisher and not the developer, they still seem to force the release.

On Agricola:

BGG Helmer Aslaksen posted:

I got a beta key, tried it a few times and posted a lot of bugs. They were all ignored, and the app was just released. So it didn't make any difference that you didn't get a key. :-(

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Infinitum posted:

Yeah 3 hours left. I've backed it. I feel like I'd regret not backing the ~Board Game Darling~ sequel.

New video with Isaac Childres playing along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bK9gNEpp6I

Pity it's 4am and I'm going to bed :v:

Yeah. I definitely regretted not backing Gloomhaven. I grabbed it too.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Gloomhaven was so good that...I don't really want any more. It's already the most Gloomhaven I could possibly handle.

But if I ever change my mind there is no way Frosthaven won't be at retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

GrandpaPants posted:

A month and a half under the current circumstances isn't the craziest thing in the world. But yeah, just a "We're here, struggling but here" post would be nice.