Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I never ended up getting Gloomhaven, so Frosthaven will be my intro.

e: Man, that's a lovely snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nah, I didn't nab Gloom either, so Frost will be my intro as well.

The retail boxes go for like $240 AUD+ here in Australia.
Buying Frost on Kickstarter saves me an easy $100. (Without factoring in shipping + addons :v:)

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

GrandpaPants posted:

In related news, the digital Gloomhaven devs seem to have gone dark (no updates since March 15), so that's sorta disconcerting.

They look perfectly active on their Discord and the last news announcement there was on the 24th for an open beta update.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Gloomhaven (and I guess by extension Frosthaven) is a game I really wanted to like but me and my group bounced hard off of it. We got maybe two missions in and nothing about it gelled with us at all, which feels like a very expensive shame or something.

This is coming from a group that's played a lot of board games and RPGs, so just...I dunno, are we the weird ones out or something?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Slimnoid posted:

Gloomhaven (and I guess by extension Frosthaven) is a game I really wanted to like but me and my group bounced hard off of it. We got maybe two missions in and nothing about it gelled with us at all, which feels like a very expensive shame or something.

This is coming from a group that's played a lot of board games and RPGs, so just...I dunno, are we the weird ones out or something?

The first two scenarios felt like the hardest two to my group, but we were into it right from the start anyway.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Backing at $1 will allow me to buy the game in the pledge manager in a couple months, right? I don't have the $100 now but I'd like to get this once I'm settled down a bit.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

Backing at $1 will allow me to buy the game in the pledge manager in a couple months, right? I don't have the $100 now but I'd like to get this once I'm settled down a bit.

Yep

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dunno if goons here are into just mini KS campaigns, but this one offers a huge value:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/blacklist-miniatures-fantasy-series-1

Over 170 (so far) minis for $65 + shipping. I’ve backed their games before and the minis aren’t that bad, so nice deal if you want a bunch of plastic.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I backed the Gloomhaven reprint, got it... And immediately realized that for that time commitment I would rather just play a traditional pen and paper rpg with the same sized group of other players.

Everyone I know that played it really likes it, but that much time commitment for a board game is just too much for me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I backed the Gloomhaven reprint, got it... And immediately realized that for that time commitment I would rather just play a traditional pen and paper rpg with the same sized group of other players.

Everyone I know that played it really likes it, but that much time commitment for a board game is just too much for me.

Nothing wrong with that. I think a lot of people who might want to play an RPG but don't have the group for it like Gloomhaven because they can play it solo or 2p.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

My gaming group uses Gloomhaven as our "not enough people can come" or "the DM isn't prepared" outlet.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Sinteres posted:

Nothing wrong with that. I think a lot of people who might want to play an RPG but don't have the group for it like Gloomhaven because they can play it solo or 2p.

For sure. I have a buddy who plays with one other person once or twice a week and they have a great time. Being able to leave it set up on his dining room table is a big help though.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think Gloomhaven has better tactical combat (and more interesting class design for said tactical combat) than any PnP RPG I've ever encountered. Obviously it doesn't fulfill that roleplaying itch particularly, but if I want tactical combat, and I do sometimes..

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Yeah. I look at them as two separate itches to scratch. Play an RPG if you want cool cooperative story telling. Play Gloomhaven if you want crunchy and satisfying tactical combat.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infinitum posted:

Nah, I didn't nab Gloom either, so Frost will be my intro as well.

The retail boxes go for like $240 AUD+ here in Australia.
Buying Frost on Kickstarter saves me an easy $100. (Without factoring in shipping + addons :v:)
Same here on both factors.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The commitment is midway between board game and rpg. Nice thing is, it works even if some players can't make it and nobody needs to DM.

Oh and yeah the Tactical combat is first rate.

But yes it is certainly a much bigger commitment than any other board game out there.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Dunno if goons here are into just mini KS campaigns, but this one offers a huge value:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistgames/blacklist-miniatures-fantasy-series-1

Over 170 (so far) minis for $65 + shipping. I’ve backed their games before and the minis aren’t that bad, so nice deal if you want a bunch of plastic.

I've been watching that! I want to get a Heroquest like, so I thought about backing it for the Altar Quest, but I don't know if I'll get the full fantasy miniature set as I'm also getting half of Bones 5 next year.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JazzFlight posted:

I backed...but more as a hope than a real thing. I don't know where else I could get a copy of a nearly every miniature I would need in one package.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Even though one of our DND members is a big fan of Gloomhaven, we don't play it, because we currently play DND. (Also most of us aren't currently in the same city)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I spent a few weeks playing it with some friends and we tried just RPing through it. It works. Sure we're arguing with card text, but everyone else gets into it and the text turns into improv prompts.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Start your friends out on Gloom/Frosthaven and then subtlety start pushing D&D after a few sessions. BAM instant D&D group.

"Have you gentlemen heard the tale of.. Boblin the Goblin?"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Infinitum posted:

Start your friends out on Gloom/Frosthaven and then subtlety start pushing D&D after a few sessions. BAM instant D&D group.

"Have you gentlemen heard the tale of.. Boblin the Goblin?"

Or just throw them into fiasco.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm torn between my desire to get Shogun and my distaste for giving Queen Games another cent on kickstarter...is Shogun even good? It looks nifty, but I might be blinded by the "innovative Cube Tower" and other production values and whatnot

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Shogun/wallenstein is solid yeah.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

silvergoose posted:

Shogun/wallenstein is solid yeah.

drat. Might see if my FLGS still has a big box laying around from the last time they did a run of them, so I only have to pledge for the upgraded token kit

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

jivjov posted:

drat. Might see if my FLGS still has a big box laying around from the last time they did a run of them, so I only have to pledge for the upgraded token kit

It is *not* a game in which you do tons of conflict, though, even if it looks that way. Much more about utilizing the areas you have in the best way possible than conquering and warring.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

So what's everyone's thoughts on Anhk? I think I might pass,as it's just seems to be complexity for its own sake as Lang's trilogy has gone on.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Quixotic1 posted:

So what's everyone's thoughts on Anhk? I think I might pass,as it's just seems to be complexity for its own sake as Lang's trilogy has gone on.

I think the main worry is that CMON are in financial trouble and may not survive long enough to have the game manufactured and shipped

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Mojo Jojo posted:

I think the main worry is that CMON are in financial trouble and may not survive long enough to have the game manufactured and shipped

The explanation they gave for that designation made a ton of sense, to be quite honest. I can understand people’s fears but I think that whole thing is a bit overblown.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I'd recommend avoiding any CMON kickstarters for the time being given they're going through some serious audit poo poo at the moment.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

I'll probably pass as well. It does look cool and some of the models are great but the price gets pretty steep if you get the expansions as well.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
does this game look any good? i know very little about this kind of thing, but i'm always sort of interested in a card game i can just play by myself and *gestures at avatar* so i'd be interested in some thoughts from people that actually understand these kinds of things

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesbylyck/the-phantom-the-card-game

i skimmed through the Rahdo preview and he's very positive on it but he also says that since it's a sponsored video take that with a grain of salt so :shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There's a P&P version here - https://gamesbylyck.com/print-and-play/
Tabletop mod here - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2077035277

Might be worth your time to see if it's your jam. If you enjoy it who cares what other people think, you're obviously a fan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Homora Gaykemi posted:

does this game look any good? i know very little about this kind of thing, but i'm always sort of interested in a card game i can just play by myself and *gestures at avatar* so i'd be interested in some thoughts from people that actually understand these kinds of things

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesbylyck/the-phantom-the-card-game

i skimmed through the Rahdo preview and he's very positive on it but he also says that since it's a sponsored video take that with a grain of salt so :shrug:

There’s a free print and play demo on the campaign page. You could print it and try it out before you decide to back it or not. It’s not all that expensive (especially considering the base level seems fine all by itself), although shipping will add $15 to that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jivjov posted:

I'm torn between my desire to get Shogun and my distaste for giving Queen Games another cent on kickstarter...is Shogun even good? It looks nifty, but I might be blinded by the "innovative Cube Tower" and other production values and whatnot

Wallenstein was #10 in what was probably the most solid BGG top 10 of all time. Eight of the other nine games are widely considered to be all-time greats: Age of Steam, Ra, Die Macher, El Grande, Power Grid, Caylus, T&E and Puerto Rico.

I wouldn't bother with the new Kickstarter, though. Queen most recently reworked Wallenstein/Shogun as Immortals, and you can pick that up for around €40 right now if you look. Unless you really want the deluxe bits, it's the better deal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jedit posted:

Wallenstein was #10 in what was probably the most solid BGG top 10 of all time. Eight of the other nine games are widely considered to be all-time greats: Age of Steam, Ra, Die Macher, El Grande, Power Grid, Caylus, T&E and Puerto Rico.
What was the other game?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What was the other game?

Twilight Struggle?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Infinitum posted:

Might be worth your time to see if it's your jam. If you enjoy it who cares what other people think, you're obviously a fan.

The_Doctor posted:

There’s a free print and play demo on the campaign page. You could print it and try it out before you decide to back it or not. It’s not all that expensive (especially considering the base level seems fine all by itself), although shipping will add $15 to that.

Thanks guys, I'll give that a look.

My lack of experience with these kinds of games means I'm probably not discerning enough to not at least get some enjoyment out of it carried by the licence, but I;ll install my brother's copy of Tabletop Simulator and try out the demo on there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What was the other game?

The Princes of Florence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Jedit posted: