Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/politics/betsy-devos-sued-student-loan-collection/index.html

Devos is coming after students even though they "froze" collections

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Here's where she lost control of the narrative and had to end the briefing.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1256294616804085760

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Fritz the Horse posted:

well that's a new one from McEnany

Q: President Trump appears to think Tara Reade's allegations of sexual assault against Joe Biden are credible, but didn't perceive allegations against Kavanaugh or the many women who've accused Trump himself as credible.

A: Well, those allegations are from years ago. The American people spoke on the issue when they elected Trump four years ago.

Basically saying that since Trump won the election, the sexual assault allegations against him were disproven.

This is obviously nonsense from a justice standpoint, but I think Trump's entire tenure is a testament that "He won, so who gives a poo poo?" is pretty effective politically.

She's just playing to what has demonstrably been effective so far. Sure, it lets the cancer in our politics grow just a little more but - "It's working for me, so who gives a poo poo?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

McEnany is gonna be a disaster like everyone else. She's a vaguely competent speaker who is wiling to say anything to defend Trump, which is why she's there, but that always means she has to defend every terrible, stupid, and otherwise indefensible thing he says and does which will create messes and she'll self destruct like everyone else. She got pushed back on ONE question in her first briefing and started to snap, immediately cut the briefing short, and announced she was going to go play with her kid. She started her rise getting beat up on CNN for saying ridiculous and disgusting things. She's not gonna become the rhetorical genius that finally makes this work.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

STAC Goat posted:

McEnany is gonna be a disaster like everyone else. She's a vaguely competent speaker who is wiling to say anything to defend Trump, which is why she's there, but that always means she has to defend every terrible, stupid, and otherwise indefensible thing he says and does which will create messes and she'll self destruct like everyone else. She got pushed back on ONE question in her first briefing and started to snap, immediately cut the briefing short, and announced she was going to go play with her kid. She started her rise getting beat up on CNN for saying ridiculous and disgusting things. She's not gonna become the rhetorical genius that finally makes this work.

Sure but when your points of reference are Sean Spicer and SHuckS, this looks like a pretty "good" start for her tenure

edit: who here remembers the glory days of Sean Spicer sputtering angrily at the press and saying such beautiful things as "Hitler didn't use chemical weapons" and when called on that "of course I wasn't talking about when the Jews were taken to Holocaust centers"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

This is obviously nonsense from a justice standpoint, but I think Trump's entire tenure is a testament that "He won, so who gives a poo poo?" is pretty effective politically.

Of course this only works when the rest of the government is stacked with enablers and obstructors. If the Democrats had had the House or more from day 1, we might have learned a very different lesson.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This new speaker like everyone else in this administration will go through the same cycle of being introduced then stabbed in the back and then thrown out the door.

Also Trump will only stand for a woman taking attention away from himself for so long.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My big takeaway was that "I'm gonna go play with my 5 month year old" thing. I think Sarah Sanders pulled that whole "I'm a mom, you can't criticize or fight with a mom" thing too but McEnany went there real quick.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

holy gently caress cops are trying to kill everyone

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Also please remember to lick your hands clean before touching any public surfaces.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

holy gently caress cops are trying to kill everyone

Guess which customers will be approached to 'tip' their mask the most?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Svanja posted:

Guess which customers will be approached to 'tip' their mask the most?

the "explanation" is even worse

just......

look at this poo poo

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I made a joke to someone yesterday that "it's weird to be happy that someone is wearing a mask when they walk into your business" and they agreed but apparently cops aren't up to that now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What...

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
It feels like that paragraph ended after mentioning communities of color.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/dappergander/status/1256251006222053382

https://twitter.com/SirajAHashmi/status/1256241308701724680

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1256051076593340416

https://twitter.com/BsideRare/status/1256191234684735493

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So the air force will be flying their death machines over my city today to thank the essential workers. Including a bunch of F35s that cost something like $30,000 per plane for every flight hour to run. Im sure the nurses that cant get the proper masks and the minimum wage Walmart cashier's that are getting coughed at all day will feel the satisfaction of the government wasting hundreds of thousands for a fancy airshow instead of you know, bonuses.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

DrNutt posted:

It's super unlikely but it would be lovely. Seeing him and Mcconnel go down in November would sustain me long after the extra 600 goes away.

Jaime’s polling was looking pretty good last time I checked.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamingofRoses posted:

Jaime’s polling was looking pretty good last time I checked.

it's not. he released an internal poll that showed him down by 4. internal polls show the best possible result the campaign could manage, finding their outlieriest of outlier polls. if the best he could manage was -4, he's far behind (and indeed the only third party poll showed him behind by double digits).

i'd love Graham to get turfed out, but there's no chance of it. trump will carry south carolina, by a lot, and graham has been trump's loyalist of loyalist toadies for the past three years. nobody's going to the ballot and voting for trump but then also a democrat for senate.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Didn't his lawyers promice the SEC that he'd stop doing this poo poo?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

Didn't his lawyers promice the SEC that he'd stop doing this poo poo?

this is a statement of personal opinion, as opposed to a (false) statement of a material fact

now, i feel like there has got to be some way for tesla shareholders to sue him for this though

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Uhhh, lets go with the second option

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mississippi saw a big spike in cases. 400 reported today. Had been sort of plateauing at 200/day. Yay.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

LMFAO that's amazingly good.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

evilweasel posted:

this is a statement of personal opinion, as opposed to a (false) statement of a material fact

now, i feel like there has got to be some way for tesla shareholders to sue him for this though

If his 'opinion' tanks their stock, that's breach of fiduciary duty, no?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

KillHour posted:

Was he ever penalized for that "go private at $420" tweet?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

the "explanation" is even worse

just......

look at this poo poo

Apparently the idea came out of a black church group in that town, which sounds to me, absolutely an outsider to that community so my assessment isn't worth much, like older members of the black community being very much out of touch with the civil rights demands of young people.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

it's not. he released an internal poll that showed him down by 4. internal polls show the best possible result the campaign could manage, finding their outlieriest of outlier polls. if the best he could manage was -4, he's far behind (and indeed the only third party poll showed him behind by double digits).

i'd love Graham to get turfed out, but there's no chance of it. trump will carry south carolina, by a lot, and graham has been trump's loyalist of loyalist toadies for the past three years. nobody's going to the ballot and voting for trump but then also a democrat for senate.

https://www.newsweek.com/what-polls-say-about-lindsey-graham-vs-jaime-harrison-senate-race-1501492

quote:

But the latest surveys and election forecasts paint a different picture. A poll from late March showed Graham's lead had dwindled to 4 points. Forty-seven percent of likely voters said they'd back Graham at the ballot box compared with 43 percent who would vote for Harrison.

We’ve shifted to likely Republican instead of solid from a couple of sources. Harrison also outraised him the first 3 months of this year by a couple million. It’s not impossible.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1256275437375946752

That's uhhhhh some unfortunate phrasing there.

:awesomelon: ACCEPTABLE.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

The Super-Id posted:

Also please remember to lick your hands clean before touching any public surfaces.

And after!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/lawcrimenews/status/1256291992780374016

i hope you're ready for 6 months of this

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Wilbur Swain posted:

Here's where she lost control of the narrative and had to end the briefing.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1256294616804085760

Rusha,rusha,rusha

I'm not gonna lie. I kinda like her.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Is it news when white supremacists retweet fellow white supremacists? :thunk:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

KillHour posted:

that's what i have been sort of wondering

it's not a breach of the duty of loyalty unless he shorted his own stock

it might not be a breach of the duty of care or corporate waste because he didn't actually do any harm to the corporation merely to its share price

but i just feel like there has got to be something about "got stoned out of his mind and tanked his own company's share price" that gets you sued by investors

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

i hope you're ready for 6 months of this

I know I'm looking forward to 6 months of the usual suspects taking every single tidbit about it as their excuse to inject GE shitflinging back into this thread, making the GE Thread's existence useless.

...wait, not looking forward. Dreading. That's the word.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DreamingofRoses posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/what-polls-say-about-lindsey-graham-vs-jaime-harrison-senate-race-1501492

We’ve shifted to likely Republican instead of solid from a couple of sources. Harrison also outraised him the first 3 months of this year by a couple million. It’s not impossible.

that poll is the internal poll. if you go to the crystal ball writeup (http://centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/the-senate-looking-beyond-the-core-four/) notes it was an internal poll

i would love, love, love that to be true - i just cannot reason my way to "trump loses south carolina" or "a sizable population of trump voters votes for a democratic senator"

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Charliegrs posted:

So the air force will be flying their death machines over my city today to thank the essential workers. Including a bunch of F35s that cost something like $30,000 per plane for every flight hour to run. Im sure the nurses that cant get the proper masks and the minimum wage Walmart cashier's that are getting coughed at all day will feel the satisfaction of the government wasting hundreds of thousands for a fancy airshow instead of you know, bonuses.

You do know that that money is already appropriated and budgeted, right? It's not costing anything outside the normal budget to have the flyovers.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/jessemckinley/status/1256262048721375235

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

that's what i have been sort of wondering

it's not a breach of the duty of loyalty unless he shorted his own stock

it might not be a breach of the duty of care or corporate waste because he didn't actually do any harm to the corporation merely to its share price

but i just feel like there has got to be something about "got stoned out of his mind and tanked his own company's share price" that gets you sued by investors

https://twitter.com/WallStCynic/status/1255126652050378761

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

STAC Goat posted:

plus its way too late for them to reverse course on being smart about lying and such. plus trumps not gonna stop saying insane awful poo poo and pretending everyone is fine and covid is gone and its hard as gently caress to twist this poo poo everyday.