Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
While I'm enjoying myself some mechanics leave a lot to be desired.
Stun 1 really needs to explain that it just removes a SINGLE ACTION from an enemy. And weapon disable needs to explain that it just empties their clip!

Like if I see the little swirl on an enemy in the turn order I think "okay I don't need to worry about them" but I absolutely do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The fact that the UI doesn’t show AP on both your squad and the enemy is a major oversight.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Obviously they send in the ambulance gremlin and tell the snipers to fire. They can do this but they're too dumb to prevent reinforcements in the first place

It's sorta weird enemies don't try to take normal civilians hostage

I've seen that happen from time to time. An enemy gets marked as a hostage taker, and if you don't down them they off the hostage.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mordja posted:

Lore question: I thought that Mutons were sexually dimorphic and that Berserkers the female of the species and that the soldier-type enemies were the male. Was this rectonned in CS or were 'Zerkers always just some bioengineering experiment.

it wasn't retconned, the mutons are still like that, but basically every alien race is the product of some level of bioengineering. the ethereals didn't really care about treating various races as half-complete canvases for them to do whatever they want with, which the uber ethereal talked about at LENGTH in the temple mission of EW. while that mission itself is non-canon, that attitude is very much not.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i guess i only have myself to blame for doing an ironman game before 5 patches

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Is there a fix out there for the missing weapon bug? I just loaded up my save to find Claymore lost his shotgun and going back to last mission does not fix it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

feel like overwatch has been completely taken out of the game in terms of usefulness. i skipped out on guardian for terminal because i think i can count on my fingers how often i used overwatch.

On the contrary, the skill-based Overwatch modes are imo the only ones worth using. Terminal with Guardian can trivialize the final progeny fight, as well as most situations if she's given free overwatch from a breach bonus (free Overwatch is still 360 rather than a narrow directional arc). And Blueblood's Ever Vigilant overwatch is also 360 and triggers after any move, including a Subdue move.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Coolguye posted:

help keep a lid on things.

I don't like keeping 'lids on things.

I'd rather stick them in things. Ideally: incinerators.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Another gang of chrysalids, under arrest

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/afuturemountain/status/1256440361615908866?s=20

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The entire muton design was retconned so I wouldn't be surprised if whatever sexual dimorphism they exhibited before is basically gone now.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Internet Kraken posted:

The entire muton design was retconned so I wouldn't be surprised if whatever sexual dimorphism they exhibited before is basically gone now.

All the vipers we've seen so far are actually males and that's their gigantic testicles on their chests that they're armoring up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/afuturemountain/status/1256442902630199298?s=20

Torque loves Canada.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Is there a fix out there for the missing weapon bug? I just loaded up my save to find Claymore lost his shotgun and going back to last mission does not fix it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Internet Kraken posted:

The Muton design wasn't really retconned?

Axiom is basically a normal XCOM 2 Muton without the rebreather and without the drugged eyes. Like even in EU/EW and XCOM 2 the reason Mutons have the weird eyes and rebreather things is explicitly because they're being mainlined combat drugs, getting rid of that makes sense for ones being acclimated to civilian life.

Also some have green skin, but there are still red skinned Mutons in Chimera Squad which in general expanded alien designs to show a lot more variety in skin tone etc. There are also still Berserkers.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 2, 2020

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, I've basically permanently benched Cherub since being able to delete enemies faster/better is worth more than preventing bad things from enemies by the mid to late game.

Be aware that Cherub's pinnacle ability is grossly attack-orientated. It basically empowers a crazy alpha-strike for the entire team, and he gets in on the action too if you give him a special pistol. +3 dmg and +15% to the entire squad.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Serephina posted:

Be aware that Cherub's pinnacle ability is grossly attack-orientated. It basically empowers a crazy alpha-strike for the entire team, and he gets in on the action too if you give him a special pistol. +3 dmg and +15% to the entire squad.

Everybody has some big stuff they can pull off at max rank and you can sure as hell use them if you want to, it's just that there's some agents whose wild poo poo is just that much better and takes less in-combat setup to do so they wind up on people's A-teams. There's only so many people you're allowed to bring and when there's only four slots you start to compare agents not just on how strong they are in a vacuum but also how strong they are in relation to each other.

And the strongest agents, for various reasons, are Terminal and Torque for action economy, Patchwork for crowd control, and Blueblood and Claymore for deleting enemies. That's already five people to pick from. Cherub's not bad, they're all at minimum pretty good, he's just got tough competition.

Runa fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 2, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love Godmother vs every single melee enemy.

YES DO IT, CHARGE HER.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I really wish the enemies did more damage in the mid and late game but this is still absolutely amazingly fun.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!
I've put too many hours into this over the past few days I'm now painstakingly comparing the differences in the loadout screen music between each investigation. I remember XCOM 2 altering the Avenger music between several trigger points but this is one single theme getting pumped up and I dig it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

All the vipers we've seen so far are actually males and that's their gigantic testicles on their chests that they're armoring up.

If you think that'll make the internet any less horny for them, I've got some bad news for you.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
blueblood + talon rounds + laser sight + lightning hands pistol + free reload + face off is just stupid

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wait, can Faceoff proc Laser Sight?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait, can Faceoff proc Laser Sight?

he hit five consecutive crits on five consecutive enemies, i can't say for certain that it's laser sight or talon rounds but he's cranking out an absurd amount of damage

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Goddamn going from chimera squad back to xcom2 showed me the bad habits I picked up real goddamn quick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

You don't skip tail-day!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

YES DO IT, CHARGE HER.

That's only if you pick CCS (but idk why that wouldn't be picked since the alternative is so niche).

Godmother is definitely another good DPS machine, but she tends to remove things, one or two at a time, but at effectively infinite ammo if you get her final Training. She's not a turret like Blueblood who's best suited at just emptying his magazines from a spot, but give her AP Rounds or something to bust through armor and she's effectively gonna score at least one kill a turn.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

YES DO IT, CHARGE HER.

Agreed. Really made the dark event with extra Chrysalids a lot less worrisome. Also always nice to see a Praetorian go through all the trouble of using Duel on her, charging into melee and eating shotgun.

Although for some reason Andromedon suits always got to walk into melee, try to punch her in the head, and *then* eat her CCS overwatch shotgun blast. Everything gets shot before they attack, even Ronin even when their lightning reflexes dodges the shot..

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I researched masterwork pistols but seem to still just have enhanced ones equipped. I did buy them in Supplies too. What am I missing?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Taear posted:

I researched masterwork pistols but seem to still just have enhanced ones equipped. I did buy them in Supplies too. What am I missing?

Check the tooltip on the weapon itself to see the damage value.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Check the tooltip on the weapon itself to see the damage value.

I don't know what it was before honestly so I can't compare.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

For a game that was £8 on release, this was a blast.
Random thoughts:

Blueblood was the most powerful by far, especially combined with Terminal's co-operation ability and free turn grenade.
Terminal's infinite overwatch ability is, in the right circumstances, the most powerful ability of all. I had to restart part 1 of the sacred coil mission several times because the gatekeeper kept being destroyed by overwatch fire (which breaks part 3)
City panic was not well balanced, I don't think I ever got above two bars. Resources similarly, there was never anything I couldn't afford with credits or eliryum

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Taear posted:

I don't know what it was before honestly so I can't compare.

It should say something like
Enchanced: +1 damage
Masterwork: +1 damage, grants skill

The appearance doesn't change, but if you have an epic pistol equipped, it should get upgraded as well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 2, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

It should say something like
Enchanced: +1 damage
Masterwork: +1 damage, grants skill

The appearance doesn't change, but if you have an epic pistol equipped, it should get upgraded as well.

Ah yes it does. Why does it still say "enhanced pistol" though, seems weird.
Thanks for that!

While it's buggy and I have some issues with tooltips - eg please don't show me the full damage every time because I assume 'ah yea I'll kill this' and reduce enemies to 1hp all the loving time - I'm still enjoying myself a lot. I think the biggest thing about the game I'd say is "Bad" is that the locations are kinda boring, but that's it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

That's only if you pick CCS (but idk why that wouldn't be picked since the alternative is so niche).

Godmother is definitely another good DPS machine, but she tends to remove things, one or two at a time, but at effectively infinite ammo if you get her final Training. She's not a turret like Blueblood who's best suited at just emptying his magazines from a spot, but give her AP Rounds or something to bust through armor and she's effectively gonna score at least one kill a turn.

Godmother's specialty is that she can give herself a bunch of extra AP. Between Alpha Strike and Overclock she nets an extra 3 AP per-mission, which makes her an excellent backup to a true AP hog like Blueblood who wants all your extra turns and Motile Inducers.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 3, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Skippy McPants posted:

Godmother's specialty is that she can give herself a bunch of extra AP. Between Alpha Strike and Overclock he nets an extra 3 AP per-mission, which makes her an excellent backup to a true AP hog like Blueblood who wants all your extra turns and Motile Inducers.

Godmother can fling out 5 100/100 shotgun blasts in one round on her own with a reflex grip. She gets truly ridiculous.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

FoolyCharged posted:

Godmother can fling out 5 100/100 shotgun blasts in one round on her own with a reflex grip. She gets truly ridiculous.

That's exactly how I had set up, I would use both of her turns, position her somewhere close to all the bad guys, use terminal to give godmother an extra shot then use team work to give her an extra turn.

Follow that up with over time and then the grenade that gives 2 more actions. Godmother could reliably murder an entire enemy force for me in a single turn with terminal by her side.

I would sometimes need to use Claymore to throw 2 grenades a cluster of bad guys and blow them all up at once too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
E: whoops, nm