Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Soonmot posted:

How is Shield? I just started a WM/Shield scrapper.

If SR is easy street to godmode, Shield is also that but with several straight upgrades. I'd use it way more if it weren't for the, y'know, shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

In the Patch Notes for 4/21, they said they fixed the following bug (among others):

Pool > Leadership > Maneuvers: fixed a bug where Melee, AoE, Lethal and Cold def were only being granted to the caster.

Somone asked:
This... uh... this has been in the game how long?

And the answer was:
Probably since the Issue 13 PVP revamp.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
If normal war mace is similar to the Bane Spider mace, Crowd Control is *fantastic*

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Crasical posted:

Crowd Control is *fantastic*

Never played a spider, but I have two mace brutes.

Mace/shield is good but I didn't feel ridiculously overpowered until pretty much 50, at least solo. I slightly prefer the mace/dark armor brute of the two. Exemps better and I *really* like Oppressive Gloom on top of the mace stuns.

Axe is useful on a tank where I, at least, am more thankful for the knockdown mitigation than concerned about its weaker damage. It's probably less fun on a brute or scrapper.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Kheldarn posted:

In the Patch Notes for 4/21, they said they fixed the following bug (among others):

Pool > Leadership > Maneuvers: fixed a bug where Melee, AoE, Lethal and Cold def were only being granted to the caster.

Somone asked:
This... uh... this has been in the game how long?

And the answer was:
Probably since the Issue 13 PVP revamp.

(facepalm)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The real reason why Battle Axe is the worst of the weapon sets is that it has lackluster customization options.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 24, 2020

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Comfortador posted:

Oh, on a sidenote Incarnates are completely new to me. I took Musculature for my alpha slot, but I'm not really sure where to go from there. Any advice/recommendations?
Right now on Homecoming there are 6 total Incarnate power slots you can unlock.

-Alpha- The Super Enhancement. Whatever you slot in the Alpha spot gets added to any power you have that can take it. So that Musculature will boost damage, and as you go higher up the tree you get more effects (Slow and Defense Debuff) and more of the effects ignore the ED enhancement cap. Put a Rare or Very Rare in here and the game gives you +1 to your level, so that's probably the first thing to do.

-Judgement - Nukes for everyone. Comes in varying elemental flavors and areas of effect, but any of them will take out minions and a good chunk out of LTs and Bosses. The most popular are the Ion Chain Lightning and the Pyronic fireball.

-Interface - Everything Procs. This'll add a chance for added effects to every damaging power you or your pets use. Usefulness can vary pretty wildly, but all of them can at least give you more damage if you don't need the secondary effect. The Reactive res debuff seems pretty popular if you don't have a pressing need for anything else.

-Lore- Everyone's a Mastermind. These are the pets you can pull from various enemy groups, either for pure offense or half offense, half un-targettable support. Again, tastes vary but almost all are viable. A Rare or VR here gives another +1 level, but only for Incarnate content, which are the Incarnate Trials and Dark Astoria.

-Destiny- Super huge buff bubbles. When used, a destiny power will basically supercharge a stat and slowly taper off over time for you and anyone in a wide area. For example, Rebirth will heal for a huge chunk and then boost either Max HP or Regeneration for a bit. This also gives the Incarnate content +1 level.

-Hybrid- Two boosts in one. Hybrid powers are toggles that still give a bonus even if it's not turned on. So with Assault Hybrid, you get a damage boost just for having it slotted, and then chances to do much more damage when it's toggled on.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Incarnate_System has all the information you could ever want.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Shield felt pretty good on the one character of mine it made sense on (Mile of Bad Road, asphalt-textured Stone Melee, rocking the stop sign), but totally ditto on the actual shield being the worst part. Might be pretty good numerically, but there's not a huge number of concepts I have that can fit a shield.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

when i don't want a fully visible shield i think i use the dark shield and make it as least visible as possible.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It really is a crime HC doesn't have a minimal fx option for shield. Surely it's been suggested.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

my mace/shield guy is Black Bloc, who has a baseball bat and a riot shield with a big red A on it

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
The closest I've been able to do for an invisible shield is Elemental/Electricity set to the darkest blues. It's not perfect, but in action it's really hard to make out cleanly. Super dark blue works well for hiding electric powers in general for me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Dareon posted:

Shield felt pretty good on the one character of mine it made sense on (Mile of Bad Road, asphalt-textured Stone Melee, rocking the stop sign), but totally ditto on the actual shield being the worst part. Might be pretty good numerically, but there's not a huge number of concepts I have that can fit a shield.

I'm kind of a weirdo in that usually I start out with a powerset combo and work backwards to the concept.

Like, I wanted to play Shield and I wanted to play Savage Melee, so here's a combat prototype who tore open his containment pod and strapped bits to himself for protection on the way out. You know, as you do.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Glazius posted:

I'm kind of a weirdo in that usually I start out with a powerset combo and work backwards to the concept.

Like, I wanted to play Shield and I wanted to play Savage Melee, so here's a combat prototype who tore open his containment pod and strapped bits to himself for protection on the way out. You know, as you do.

Yeah, this is how I do 99% of my characters, too. It's much easier and more fun, because I can just start playing, then when I come up with a concept, I can edit the bio and costume to fit.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Glazius posted:

this guy has strong x-men/warcraft crossover energy

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jazerus posted:

this guy has strong x-men/warcraft crossover energy

I was going for a ramshackle feeling with a bunch of random armor on one side and mostly just the shield on the other, but one of the few sets that could really pull that off was the Black Knight set.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

a while ago somebody posted a /command to hide all the buffs you're not responsible for maintaining. does anybody remember what that was?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

LordSaturn posted:

a while ago somebody posted a /command to hide all the buffs you're not responsible for maintaining. does anybody remember what that was?

paste these three first thing on every new alt

/optionset buffsettings 1184529

/bind g beginchat /send goonsquad

/macro_image "Teleportation_LongRangeTeleport" "Teleport: Cosmic Platform" "enterbasefrompasscode COSMICTRANSPORT-6608"

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Soonmot posted:

/macro_image "Teleportation_LongRangeTeleport" "Teleport: Cosmic Platform" "enterbasefrompasscode COSMICTRANSPORT-6608"

fyi for those who come after: this only exists on Excelsior

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I forget which server, but a couple of weeks ago I saw a request in help chat for the public base TP macro. Some guy tossed it up with a "$$cleartray" at the end. It was the gooniest thing I've seen a non-goon do in quite a while.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Talk to me about Stalkers.
What's sets should I avoid if I plan to solo most of the time?

I was thinking SJ/Nin

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
All stalkers are good and probably the best class for solo play

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think Ninjutsu specifically kind of sucks? it's been a while since I really had a good grasp of what's a good set or a bad set. maybe pick something with end recovery? I think StJ is a bit end-thirsty

EDIT: yeah my StJ/Dark brute would NOT function until I got her a bunch of set IOs for her attacks so she could have power AND accuracy AND endred AND sure some recharge why not

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 25, 2020

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

LordSaturn posted:

I think StJ is a bit end-thirsty

I had to double-slot for Endred on my Street Justice/Super Reflexes scrapper. :T
It's pretty bad.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Soonmot posted:

How is Shield? I just started a WM/Shield scrapper.

I can't speak for scrapper but I had a shield/warmace tanker on live that was a beast. Good defenses and shield charge, plus great aoe and solid single target on the mace.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Soonmot posted:

/optionset buffsettings 1184529

So what does this do?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Anyone have a link to a cheap Rad/Fire brute AE farmer build?

The build on the HC discord is expensive, like a billion to buy all the purple IOs.

I found a cheap spines/fire build that costs considerably less and has 45% def but i wasnt able to adapt it to rad/fire.
Spines has a couple of ranged attacks that they can put some good def% sets in which rad miss out on, and the powers rad pick instead has the same sets as the build already use 5 of elsewhere so rad is hit by the rule of 5. Best i can do is 41% def.

The worst part is that the big brute farmer thread on the HC forum starts with «there has been so many threads on cheap builds, this thread is for expensive builds» yet googling for cheap rad/fire returns zero hits

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

NachtSieger posted:

So what does this do?

LordSaturn posted:

it mostly hides toggle buffs and auto buffs, afaict

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

NachtSieger posted:

So what does this do?

Yeah, you know how when you team, there's three dozen buff icons after every character name? This helps cut that down. Very useful you have buffs you need to refresh on your teammates.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Anyone have a decent gorilla costume?

I snagged the names "Gorillionaire" and "Gorantula" (as a Crab Spider).

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Haven't played in almost a year but made a blaster on Excelsior. The different glove/boot options is super good and seems like something that should have been in CoH at uhhh launch.

Scene witch

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

it mostly hides toggle buffs and auto buffs, afaict

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, you know how when you team, there's three dozen buff icons after every character name? This helps cut that down. Very useful you have buffs you need to refresh on your teammates.

as someone who has a /FF character, oh thank gently caress. It's impossible to tell if my shields fell off because it's one icon among thirty.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any notable pitfalls with Psionic Blast?
Thinking of a Mental/Storm corruptor.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Robuts dgaf and this game has a looot of robuts, other than that above average set

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inzombiac posted:

Any notable pitfalls with Psionic Blast?
Thinking of a Mental/Storm corruptor.

Psi Tornado is a little lackluster, but Psychic Scream is amazing so it balances out. There's a couple of small animation quirks that can be annoying, like IIRC Will Domination's projectile speed is ever so slightly out of sync with the damage and sleep effect.

Otherwise set's really good, IMO. I always felt really effective even playing it on a pre-Vigilance buff Defender. I love having almost every button do some kind of CC. I wouldn't be surprised if it feels a bit anemic on Corruptors like all the other Defender-ported damage sets, but Storm would also make up for that.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 1, 2020

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it feels a bit anemic on Corruptors like all the other Defender-ported damage sets

Tell me about this Corruptor anemia, because I think my favorite AT so far is Corruptor (and Sentinel)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The short story is that Rad, Dark, and Psi Blast all originated as Defender secondaries first (to pair with Rad Emission, Dark Miasma, and Empathy). Rad looks like a basic blast set, but has a couple of odd design choices (Neutrino Bolt is a rapid fire spam attack for no good reason, it gets the telltale PBAoE debuff-focused power you wouldn't traditionally expect to see on Blasters*). Dark and Psi eschew Aim and have a lot more CC than you normally see in a ranged set. Dark also has a focus on damage over time rather than heavy burst damage. Aside from some slight buffs to Dark, IIRC, none of these sets got significant tweaks or optimizations because who cares about Defender DPS?

Once it came time to design Corruptors, they haphazardly blended Blasters and Defenders together (while randomly cutting stuff out for ??? reasons - no Archery/TA nor Elec/Storm, Empathy was rejected because villains can't possibly care about other people :jerkbag: so Psi Blast got the boot along with it) to create a damage-first villain support class. Problem: Now you have sets that WERE optimized, mainly for the benefit of Blasters, competing with old as hell Defender secondaries that hadn't been touched for years. Predictably, Rad and Dark feel awful to play on Corruptors. IMO, anyway, YMMV if you're cool with forgoing deeps in favor of Dark's weird DoT/CC-heavy style. Psi might not have this problem since it was already noticeably pretty good on Defenders, but it does still use the Defender version of the set.

Though maybe I'm just biased against Corruptors in general. I've always felt like getting good-feeling damage out of them has been a struggle, even on the more damage-focused sets. (To whit, one of my OG villains was a Fire/Dark and even that I thought was just alright.) I'm cool with playing support-heavy Defenders (I ran Emp/Psi for years, after all) and I've never not liked Blasters either. But the weird middle of the road blend of the two has always felt off to me. :shrug: (I also loving hate Scourge!)

*I can't remember if this was actually confirmed history or not, but regardless it seems kinda obvious to me that Elec Blast was also supposed to be one of these Defender-only sets, obviously pairing with Storm. Same PBAoE debuff power like Rad, a pet summon power, a feature strongly associated with support classes, and the game's jankiest debuff/psuedo-mez as its core secondary effect. And then when you look at Elec Manipulation, it's very obviously cobbled together from bits and pieces of other Blaster secondaries, primarily Energy Manipulation, because unlike the other Manipulation sets there was no Elec Melee or Elec Control to pull from yet.

Edit: Standard disclaimer that this is largely based on oooooold gameplay and for all I know IOs and modern build optimization can crank these sets to much higher levels. Though having played a lot of Elec/Elec Affinity lately I do still feel the lack of oomph there.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 2, 2020

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

But the weird middle of the road blend of the two has always felt off to me. :shrug: (I also loving hate Scourge!)

Oh man, so very much same. The same thing with Dominators. The weird middle-ground thing just ends up feeling really bad; in any given situation, I always feel like I'd be way better off just playing a blaster, defender, or controller. The trade-off isn't really much of a trade-off at all, you're just a weaker version of one thing or another.

In theory the thing that should set them apart is their inherents, but Scourge - a one-off damage bonus randomly and haphazardly applied, with a greater chance the less you actually need it? loving useless.

At least Dominators have a kind of self-sufficient playstyle. Corruptors still want a team, but when they get one, they just feel like the weakest DPS combined with the weakest force multiplier and it would always make more sense to bring a Blaster or Defender.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I just rolled a Rad/Psy defender and I was going to look for a build for it, and unlike the other 70 combinations I have for characters, I found absolutely nothing on homecoming.

Is there a reason for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

John Murdoch posted:

:shrug: (I also loving hate Scourge!)

PREACH.

Ali Aces posted:

At least Dominators have a kind of self-sufficient playstyle.

Dominators actually make sense to me. Controller primary, damage secondary: You tie people up and whip them. In practice, maybe it doesn't work so well because you'll miss or an enemy will break free and dominators are made of tissue paper; or you find an enemy that you can't easily mez and they feed you your own rear end.

Still, the whole thrust of the class makes sense to me.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 2, 2020