Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

It's CNN, I'm assuming some dipshit just tested that Wolf Blitzer says "wow" to revelations no matter how shocking or sudden and someone overheard him and reported it as truth.

:wow:

At this point it is looking awfully likely like CNN is off the farm and publishing bullshit - that seems more likely than them having a scoop here at this point, at any rate..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Delta-Wye posted:

:wow:

At this point it is looking awfully likely like CNN is off the farm and publishing bullshit - that seems more likely than them having a scoop here at this point, at any rate..

I think its been safe to say CNN has been publishing bullshit for quite a while now.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

FWIW, TMZ just reported that KJU is dead.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If it's really true who's next in line? His sister who only just got back in his good graces?

Edit: Apparently a Japanese magazine is reporting that Chinese medical staff are saying that Kim Yo-jong was designated as his successor, for what it's worth (probably nothing).

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 25, 2020

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

empty baggie posted:

FWIW, TMZ just reported that KJU is dead.

That settles it then.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I started paying attention to this about the time some specific things like "China dispatched medical experts on request to provide advisory assistance" came out.

It has all the hallmarks of KJU having straight up kicked it, or he's in a coma, or he's gravely medically impaired or something and the structures of the dictatorship are trying to figure out how this is going to have to play out. As usual, there's so much guesswork that the're always other potential outcomes like it all being fake

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
Perhaps it is a thing, TMZ is a reputable rumor mill. It's starting to look like CNN had the scoop this time!

I hope this doesn't spin up a north Korean civil war due to weak succession plans.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
For whatever reason as mixed a bag as TMZ is normally, when it comes to deaths they're pretty impeccable.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I hate living in the universe where I had every reason to doubt it during the period of any CNN speculation but then TMZ goes "haha he dead" and suddenly now I wonder

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I've still got a feeling it's a bunch of BS and he'll end up being fine.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I dismissed the rumors at first but they’ve been persistent for two days now and that makes me wonder if he’s actually having a health crisis.

It doesn’t take an intelligence service to know that Kim is in horrible shape and has awful dietary habits.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I read that today is the anniversary of the founding of the Korean People's Army so is there supposed to be a military parade in Pyongyang? If so you would expect to see Kim there. Unless he's, you know, dead.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He missed that thing celebrating his granddad, or whatever, so :shrug:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Delta-Wye posted:

I hope this doesn't spin up a north Korean civil war due to weak succession plans.

Yeah, about that....

After Kim Jong-Nam got VXed at the airport what Kims does China have in their pocket these days or do they prop up Kim Yo-jong to maintain control (As long as she allows a number of "advisors" generously provided from Beijing) if things start popping off? Nobody in the region outside of Cheollima Civil Defense wants the regime to just collapse, and Xi is in the only real position to do anything about it.

It's not like this hasn't happened before and this is all probably just another attempt to destabilize the regime, but even so with succession now an open question no matter if Kim is alive or dead a number of Pyongyang elites and military brass are about to have a couple of very exciting weeks.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Sky Shadowing posted:

For whatever reason as mixed a bag as TMZ is normally, when it comes to deaths they're pretty impeccable.

You guys should actually read the article, it explicitly states that "TMZ has not confirmed that". And the idea TMZ would have sources inside the NK government is ridiculous on its own. They're not even writing he's dead, they're saying that he has "reportedly died, or is on his death bed with no hope for recuperation - according to media outlets in China and Japan".

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I can't begin to describe how dangerous people are being by spreading rumors like this.

It's not helping that people like this dipshit are screaming about a potential WW3 if Kim dies

https://twitter.com/WonkVJ/status/1254186868947578887

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Double spacing = dumb opinion is the universal truth

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
At least he's not wrong to suggest that the more grossly ignorant we are, the more likely we are to do something dumb like send in "North Korean WMD-Elimination Tom Clancy Squads"

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Kavros posted:

At least he's not wrong to suggest that the more grossly ignorant we are, the more likely we are to do something dumb like send in "North Korean WMD-Elimination Tom Clancy Squads"

I don't think South Korea would let the Trump administration do that, especially if there's a civil war in North Korea.

And in any case, nobody knows for sure who would succeed Kim, so right now, it's way too early to be worried.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/26/asia/kim-jong-un-north-korea-health-intl/index.html

South Korea says he is fine and that he is at his Wonson complex.

Weird that he missed the anniversary holiday but if he was legitimately sick or recovering from surgery they may have kept him away to hide it. Doesn’t mean he is dead.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://www.businessinsider.com/us-intelligence-does-not-believe-kim-jong-un-is-dead-2020-4?amp

US intelligence is saying same as South Korea, that he’s alive and at that complex.

What’s the situation with coronavirus over there. Could he simply be social distancing?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Marenghi posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-intelligence-does-not-believe-kim-jong-un-is-dead-2020-4?amp

US intelligence is saying same as South Korea, that he’s alive and at that complex.

What’s the situation with coronavirus over there. Could he simply be social distancing?

Like most everything with NK, I don't think anyone knows for sure. The official line is that there's no virus in the country. But you know, what else would you expect them to say? However, I believe there's always been quite a bit of cross border traffic between NK and China so it wouldn't be at all surprising if the virus was unknowingly brought into NK before it became a huge problem globally. It's definitely not a stretch to think it's possible that dear leader might even have it and that's the source of all this illness rumors. But who knows, he might show up out of the blue in a week or two looking as fat and jolly as usual. I don't think any country in history has been as much of a black hole for foreign intelligence as NK.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Yikes

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1254664674689208321

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Was hoping the article itself would detail whether it was a 'minor' loss vs a 'major' loss, but I agree such a question would probably not be taken kindly by the respondent.

Found this interesting though:

quote:

The survey showed that 5.5 percent lost their jobs due to the pandemic. Some 12.3 percent said they went through salary cuts or returned part of their income.

5.5% is really massive, but because of the US numbers being even more massive my shock is tiny.

Hopefully the government will do something to address this, particularly given the subsequent paragraphs:

quote:

Meanwhile, the survey showed that bleak circumstances took a toll on mental health.

Some 25.9 percent of respondents said they felt very anxious, while 12.6 percent said they were depressed. In both categories, temporary and low-income employees were more likely to report such symptoms.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

boredsatellite posted:

Hah get hosed conservatives

HAH

Haha, excellent!

A friend of mine said his co-worker said of my city: "They'd vote for a dog if it wore a red jacket!" which is my new favorite phrase.

I hope he's okay. :ohdear:

I've been trying to extend my stay here in the safety of Korea, and I went to get my visa re-extended, and I got a new piece of paper in my passport that says another month. Then while on the train, I looked at the document I signed and it said I was denied extension of visa. And the sticker in my passport is subtly different than my last extension. But it also says my leaving date is later. I'm so confused...

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 27, 2020

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Mekchu posted:

Also add in less than ideal sanitary practices by different groups of people within the population and a stubbornness to not admit they have symptoms.

Pretty lol reading this two months in

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shadow0 posted:

I've been trying to extend my stay here in the safety of Korea, and I went to get my visa re-extended, and I got a new piece of paper in my passport that says another month. Then while on the train, I looked at the document I signed and it said I was denied extension of visa. And the sticker in my passport is subtly different than my last extension. But it also says my leaving date is later. I'm so confused...

Immigration were, from what I had heard, giving extensions on people's ARC leave date. Meaning if your ARC expired on April 6, you would typically be told to leave by May 6 but they started giving an extra month due to the coronavirus stuff. Unless that's not what you're talking about then who the hell knows. Immigration in Korea is pretty dreadful in terms of giving you useful info when you call/go in to ask questions.

tractor fanatic posted:

Pretty lol reading this two months in

I mean, I saw an ajae coughing into their hands without a mask on and spitting onto the sidewalk down by the local emart today, so that first bit I still sorta stick by. The latter was more aimed at the super christian weirdos in Daegu and it's double lol given the same poo poo is happening in the US right now.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://i.imgur.com/lQWpf6F.mp4

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
to be fair, you have to have a very high iq to understand north korean state ran media

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Mekchu posted:

Immigration were, from what I had heard, giving extensions on people's ARC leave date. Meaning if your ARC expired on April 6, you would typically be told to leave by May 6 but they started giving an extra month due to the coronavirus stuff. Unless that's not what you're talking about then who the hell knows. Immigration in Korea is pretty dreadful in terms of giving you useful info when you call/go in to ask questions.

I mean, I saw an ajae coughing into their hands without a mask on and spitting onto the sidewalk down by the local emart today, so that first bit I still sorta stick by. The latter was more aimed at the super christian weirdos in Daegu and it's double lol given the same poo poo is happening in the US right now.

No, that was an automatic extension to April 30th. My flight was for May 1st, so I went in to get an extension:
So they gave me this:

The second time I went in, this time without a flight or anything, I got this:

which seems fine?
But also this:

So now the question is, which is it?

The conversation wasn't tremendously clear when I was in the office, so I had left after seeing my passport feeling like I had an extension, but now I'm so confused. Getting to the office to ask them again isn't easy. Though maybe I can have a Korean call them.
Should I ask the US Embassy?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/martyn_williams/status/1256363500793987079?s=21

Big boy is alive and well

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
See a lot of people not believing it because it came from North Korean and Chinese news.

The situation is highlighting to me how people’s requirements for evidence changes for their bias.
They didn’t need a photo to confirm he was dead but now pictures aren’t good enough to confirm him as living.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Look, unless he personally visits me and lets me rub and pinch him then this is all just propaganda.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
lol get hosed cnn

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Shadow0 posted:

No, that was an automatic extension to April 30th. My flight was for May 1st, so I went in to get an extension:
So they gave me this:

The second time I went in, this time without a flight or anything, I got this:

which seems fine?
But also this:

So now the question is, which is it?

The conversation wasn't tremendously clear when I was in the office, so I had left after seeing my passport feeling like I had an extension, but now I'm so confused. Getting to the office to ask them again isn't easy. Though maybe I can have a Korean call them.
Should I ask the US Embassy?

Dunno if you eventually got help or not, but I would absolutely ask the embassy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

countdown to claims of 'it's a body double'

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

sexpig by night posted:

countdown to claims of 'it's a body double'

negative 1000 seconds or so

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

North and South Korea exchange gunfire across border at guard post

quote:

SEOUL (Reuters) - North and South Korea exchanged gunfire around the South’s guard post early on Sunday, raising tension a day after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ended an almost three-week absence from public life with state media showing him visiting a factory.

Multiple gunshots were fired from North Korea at 7:41 a.m. local time towards a guard post in South Korea that borders the North, the South’s joint chiefs of staffs said in a statement.

South Korea responded by firing two shots towards North Korea, no injuries were reported.

After weeks of intense speculation about Kim’s health and whereabouts, the country’s official media published photographs and a report on Saturday that Kim had attended the completion of a fertiliser plant, the first report of his appearance since April 11.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...SKBN22F03N?il=0

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Dunno if you eventually got help or not, but I would absolutely ask the embassy.

Sorry, forgot to post an update: I went to the immigration office and asked and they said the June date was correct. The paper was probably given to me by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

North Korea close to finishing facility for firing nukes that can reach US

https://nypost.com/2020/05/07/north-korea-close-to-finishing-facility-for-firing-nukes-that-can-hit-us/