Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

I mean here's a question: who is benefiting from all this automation?

The word "robot" quite literally comes from the Czech word for slave, or "forced labourer." The word was developed for a Czech play by Karel Capek (thought he word itself was worked out in concert with his brother Jozef), and the play is about the nature and future of automation. It's called R. U. R., Rossum's Universal Robots. Here's the core bit.

R. U. R. posted:

DOMIN
What sort of worker do you think is the best from a practical point of view?
HELENA
Perhaps the one who is most honest and hardworking.
DOMIN
No; the one that is the cheapest. The one whose requirements are the smallest. Young Rossum invented a worker with the minimum amount of requirements. He had to simplify him. He rejected everything that did not contribute directly to the progress of work!–– everything that makes man more expensive. In fact, he rejected man and made the Robot. My dear Miss Glory, the Robots are not people. Mechanically they are more perfect than we are, they have an enormously developed intelligence, but they have no soul.

Automation is never about anything more than reducing cost. Workers are expensive. Machines are less so. A machine might be wildly less productive than an equivalent human, but if its costs are the electricity to run it and its requirements are nil, that's what bosses are going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

actually one of the ones who walked away was clearly Odo from The Dispossessed so they did

NK Jemisin, in her collection of short fiction "How Long 'Til Black Future Month", had a response along these lines in her story "The Ones Who Stay and Fight" that involved the heroes of the story forcibly euthanizing a deviant in front of his daughter, who they then planned to condition and train as a killer going forward, so I'm not sure even your preferred outcome would be acceptable to you

If your argument is that Le Guin was a lib then you're going to have a really rough time lol

just read this story, it had extremely :hai: :hai: :hai: energy, gotta say.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the over/under the Dems create another hilariously cringey video that does little past patting themselves on the back and getting to hang out with celebrities?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

A big flaming stink posted:

just read this story, it had extremely :hai: :hai: :hai: energy, gotta say.

Yeah, christ. The idea of someone responding quite directly to Ursula K. LeGuin and actually loving nailing it is... holy poo poo.

Um-Helat Social Workers should be a gang tag.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/everequivocal/status/1256426344017092609?s=20

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Djarum posted:

It is a lot easier and politically safe to lie to these people, give them false hope then tell them the true and give them other economic options. I saw this first hand all over the country. Hell in Kentucky they have programs to retrain former coal miners to program for example and they can’t get many people there to sign up for the programs because 99% of them are straight up scams and nobody is dumb enough to waste time and money attempting to train towards something that's completely and utterly foreign to them when they know drat well they'll never be able to move to the other side of the country and get a job being a more or less still computer illiterate "software engineer".

Fixed your post

Djarum posted:

Well in Kentucky there are a ton of different programs for a variety of different careers all of which are growing industries. For example there are nursing programs, engineering and trade skill jobs like plumbing and electricians.

The issue is that you have a demographic that wants to make a good living without having any education. Unfortunately that does not exist anymore in this country. The days that you could graduate high school or even drop out, get a factory or labor job, make a solid middle class living, own a home and have a family is long gone.

We need to get serious about educating our workforce and we need to stop telling lies to people that the old days are ever going to come back.

Yeah, maybe telling someone to learn to code isn’t unrealistic but we need to start moving people into training no matter what it is.

Boot straaaaaaps~

The problem with basically everything you just said is that "get more education" is good personal advice, and a really poo poo non-solution to a societal problem that's only thrown out there to shame others for not being as rich and successful as they are. There aren't that many white collar jobs. There never will be. Short of some sort of fully automated luxury space communism we will never live in a society where everyone can be a DoctorLawyerChemistProgrammer.

The problem is less that people aren't formally educated enough and more that capital has stopped paying a living wage to the people who are doing the necessary labor for our stupid country to keep chugging along.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 2, 2020

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
"Biden being Biden" so expected some folks called it two years ago:

https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/1070006067340419072?s=19

https://twitter.com/Phylan/status/1070720619401089025?s=19

E:

COVID-19 posted:

Biden sees white supremacists as his buddies. That’s why he loves the GOP and wants to work with them and says once Trump is gone they’ll “snap out of it” and start bipartisan work to criminalize weed and make student debt worse for kids who go to public colleges or whatever.

I hate that I can't argue more about Biden's stupid loving opinions on cannabis without sounding like a whiny stoner with nothing more important to care about. His decriminalization half measure isn't enough, it needs to be descheduled and legalized federally. And it's because his primary voting demographic still thinks it's the devil's lettuce. Joe Biden himself dropped the "gateway drug" pseudoscience line in one of his town halls during the primary.

If the alternative is Trump, then okay Biden is better on this topic but again it's such a marginal difference and all of his stated policy is vague and steeped in reluctance to give up the War On Drugs that it's very obviously another EASY WIN that Dems insist on punting 4 years down the road to appease the right.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 2, 2020

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

relax-o-vision posted:

Trump is not merely "making neo-nazis happy," he is actively enfranchising them. And I'm not arguing that Biden will somehow defeat all the nazis. My argument is that willingly allowing neo-nazis to hold power is morally indefensible on its face.

Biden sees white supremacists as his buddies. That’s why he loves the GOP and wants to work with them and says once Trump is gone they’ll “snap out of it” and start bipartisan work to criminalize weed and make student debt worse for kids who go to public colleges or whatever.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Somfin posted:

Yeah, christ. The idea of someone responding quite directly to Ursula K. LeGuin and actually loving nailing it is... holy poo poo.

Um-Helat Social Workers should be a gang tag.

hell, im down

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

This post is exactly what I needed to see after a 12hr shift. I'm loving dying lmao

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
One issue that I haven't seen addressed anywhere, that seems really important to me, is voter suppression. Trump has blatantly attempted a couple of schemes to ramp that into overdrive, which seems really really bad. Is there any reason to think Biden wouldn't be way better on this issue, or any reason to think this issue isn't as important as it seems?

I dont live in the US so its entirely possible im missing something obvious.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Gentleman Baller posted:

One issue that I haven't seen addressed anywhere, that seems really important to me, is voter suppression. Trump has blatantly attempted a couple of schemes to ramp that into overdrive, which seems really really bad. Is there any reason to think Biden wouldn't be way better on this issue, or any reason to think this issue isn't as important as it seems?

I dont live in the US so its entirely possible im missing something obvious.

You'd think that since voter suppression tactics typically favor republicans that the democrats themselves would support measures to diminish or alleviate the problems altogether (like ending felony disenfranchisement, making universal vote by mail required, pushing to make voting a federal holiday, etc.), but they don't push for those things collectively. Some (very, very few) do, but someone like Biden? Nah.

The reasons are up to interpretation a bit. Structurally it makes sense for the establishment to restrict voters based on means (via location, time, or information) because by and large the lower classes of the body politic would support less austerity and make rich people pay more, but that may be at once too cynical and too clever for the establishment itself. It might be inertia, or the idea that all good things must come with some kind of downside because culturally we've decided that that's what mature thinking entails.

e: I don't know what gymnastics lead to people like Pete Buttigieg saying we should stop sending people to jail for drug crimes, that the over punishment of crimes disproportionately effect black people, and that many people in prison shouldn't be there, but at the same time saying that felony disenfranchisement is a nonstarter. But his position is the mainstream one. :iiam:

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 2, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/lawcrimenews/status/1256291992780374016

The Article posted:

When it was Biden and my aunt’s turn to say hello he quickly turned to me and asked how old I was. I replied with my age and he replied with the comment ‘Fourteen? You’re very well endowed for 14!’ I was confused but it was definitely weird, he looked me up and down and hovered his eyes on my chest so I had some clue [about] the notion of his comment but didn’t fully understand at the time.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 2, 2020

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

SimonChris posted:

When it was Biden and my aunt’s turn to say hello he quickly turned to me and asked how old I was. I replied with my age and he replied with the comment ‘Fourteen? You’re very well endowed for 14!’ I was confused but it was definitely weird, he looked me up and down and hovered his eyes on my chest so I had some clue [about] the notion of his comment but didn’t fully understand at the time.

Well that just made my skin crawl ten minutes after waking up.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Tonetta posted:

Last afternoon there was news circling around that joe was feeling up some 14 year old and saying some nasty stuff to her, but it appeared confined to right wing media. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he did that too.

100% believable and consistent with how Biden behaves on camera

:nms:
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/yfmksi/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-the-audacity-of-grope
:nms:

If you held a gun to my head and forced me to choose which candidate to leave one of my nieces alone with in a room for an hour it would hands down be Trump because "dude is an idiot and a racist" is at most a ten minute conversation afterwards but sexual trauma leaves scars that can last a lifetime.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Iron Twinkie posted:

If you held a gun to my head and forced me to choose which candidate to leave one of my nieces alone with in a room for an hour it would hands down be Trump because "dude is an idiot and a racist" is at most a ten minute conversation afterwards but sexual trauma leaves scars that can last a lifetime.

his connections with epstein, and his barging in on nude teens for the beauty pageant indicate that he fucks kids too. just ya know, a little more privately than joe. I'd choose trump too cause he's way more verbally interactive with a 5 year old and im sure even trump doesnt go that low

unfortunately the democrat playbook really is this predictable, but still pretty stunning on the accuracy

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Shere posted:

I hate that I can't argue more about Biden's stupid loving opinions on cannabis without sounding like a whiny stoner with nothing more important to care about. His decriminalization half measure isn't enough, it needs to be descheduled and legalized federally. And it's because his primary voting demographic still thinks it's the devil's lettuce. Joe Biden himself dropped the "gateway drug" pseudoscience line in one of his town halls during the primary.

If the alternative is Trump, then okay Biden is better on this topic but again it's such a marginal difference and all of his stated policy is vague and steeped in reluctance to give up the War On Drugs that it's very obviously another EASY WIN that Dems insist on punting 4 years down the road to appease the right.

One of the ways Biden signals to white supremacists that he’s going to support their agenda is by saying poo poo like this about cannabis. Both Biden and the white supremacists know who the War in Drugs really targets. It’s a very important part of why Obama chose Biden as his Vice President and why Obama refused to legalize it at the federal level even though he was a stoner in high school.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
He at least adopted expunging past records (for possession) but he's still out there prattling on about the harms of weed and how it's "not* a gateway drug but it might have something to do with the other evil drugs so we can't legalize it". Whatever contortion he has to make that he can still demonize marijuana for some reason.

*He's on record like four months ago saying it's uncertain if it's a gateway drug :rolleyes:

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 2, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Today in D&D I learned that the moral of "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" is that the heroes are those who stayed and told themselves that offering 1% less whippings of the child gives them the moral high ground

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Shere posted:

He at least adopted expunging past records (for possession) but he's still out there prattling on about the harms of weed and how it's "not a gateway drug but it might have something to do with the other evil drugs so we can't legalize it". Whatever contortion he has to make that he can still demonize marijuana for some reason.

The reason is pretty clear- older people who love “tough on crime” policies will want to vote for Biden.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

That and he’s a loving out-of-touch mummy who has no new ideas

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

At least we dodged the bullet

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1256349687046701056?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

At least we dodged the bullet

Oh word, did Warren turn down the VP slot? That's cool

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

And no comment from Warren on the Biden abuse.

"It's not her responsibility to hold her colleagues accountable!!"

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/shafieikeyvan/status/1256317800152395777

This is gonna be a bad 9 months. Imagine opening yourself to this kind of free shot. :negative:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I already used up my one protest vote. :smith:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

punishedkissinger posted:

Yes but let's not be distracted from the fact that she fed her dog an entire human burrito for it's birthday, and did so by just putting the burrito on her rug inside. She didn't put it on the ground outside, or in the dog's bowl, or even on a plate. She just let the dog destroy a burrito all over her nice rug.

Someone with decision making skills like that should not be leading the party.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

StratGoatCom posted:

This is gonna be a bad 9 months. Imagine opening yourself to this kind of free shot. :negative:

Man, who could've predicted that Biden is a deeply flawed loser who will be pummeled for the next 6months. No one. Not one single person.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Failed Imagineer posted:

Oh word, did Warren turn down the VP slot? That's cool

lol if warren thought she was in the vp running she'd be on live tv calling the accusers lying russian whores right now

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

That is...a very effective ad.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

....this is when Biden was 14 too right?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
That add really highlights the hypocrisy of the liberals not believing women. Those are the only ones who don't believe women. It's such a boon for trump that his voters are so incredibly stupid that they don't understand the premise of the ad is that women shouldn't be believed, but they're targeting Libbrals, liberallls! LIEBRALS!!! for the same thing that they've been saying all along.

Anyway, it's gonna be one of two senile rapists in the most powerful position in the world (well, second most, not quite as good as being elected Bezos I guess). What a time to be alive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gatts posted:

....this is when Biden was 14 too right?

hahahaha

hahahahahahahaha

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cpt_Obvious posted:

That is...a very effective ad.

it's a really strong ad and trump is gonna spend the next six months murdering him with poo poo like that. Even when he fucks up and reminds us he's also an accused rapist his campaign will just release another mashup of every time an endorser supported metoo or whatever

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
You can't shame the right with hypocrisy. It's West Wingish Have You No Shame Sir Your Fired bullshit.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

You can't shame the right with hypocrisy. It's West Wingish Have You No Shame Sir Your Fired bullshit.

I don't know if that's necessarily more true of Republicans than Democrats, unless you are considering both parties right wi-

Oh.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

relax-o-vision posted:

It doesn't actually matter whether Biden does anything about neo-nazis. They don't see him as one of their own, unlike Trump. He doesn't represent them. Trump's mere presence in the white house is, in and of itself, the condition which enfranchises neo-nazis.

relax-o-vision posted:

Trump is not merely "making neo-nazis happy," he is actively enfranchising them. And I'm not arguing that Biden will somehow defeat all the nazis. My argument is that willingly allowing neo-nazis to hold power is morally indefensible on its face.

relax-o-vision posted:

You guys are really starting to worry me. You're implying here that nazis are motivated by legitimate economic grievances. You're tiptoeing down the path towards saying they are "very good people." Like, you're aware that Trump voters in 2016 skewed wealthier than Clinton voters? People did not become neo-nazis because they couldn't pay their student loans. It has never been about economic anxiety. It was always, always racism. Please take a hard look at what you're implying when you humanize nazis like this.

I will never willingly allow nazis to hold power in my country. I understand that you are all taking a moral stand; please understand that I am also taking a moral stand. Good night.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

relax-o-vision posted:

OK, so you feel it is morally acceptable to allow neo-nazis to remain in power, got it. Thank you for your candor.

You might be confusing this poster with Presidential Candidate Joe Biden, who had said he will collaborate with Nazis

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

punishedkissinger posted:

It's funny how all the responsibility in the Democratic party is apparently concentrated to regular-rear end people on the left whereas the people in actual positions of power are blameless angels by definition. Some serious feudal serf mentality right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
The correct answer is that the only acceptable reaction to nazis is to destroy them and anyone who suggests otherwise needs to be considered a potential collaborator.