Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Fuse Factorio and Terraria to create the ultimate video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

NachtSieger posted:

Fuse Factorio and Terraria to create the ultimate video game.
Factaria?

...Terrorio?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Foglet posted:

Factaria?

...Terrorio?

Tectoria

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

when you say z axis houses do you mean like paper mario? or do you mean like layers?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

watho posted:

when you say z axis houses do you mean like paper mario? or do you mean like layers?

Like in Outworlder I think.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

Layers, I'm pretty sure.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Just as long as the procgen and accessibility is polished, I would love any combo of finite or infinite worlds for a pie in the sky Terraria 2.

Even in games with small finite maps, it's real annoying when a bottom tier item you normally get within 20 minutes takes forever to find. Then you crack open a sealed room and see five parts for it inside :downs:

In hindsight, it is amazing how something as simple sounding as "One world, but you can dip into your other save files" dodges two of the major pitfalls of this genre. New areas are still more meaningful than "Infinite worlds!... which just means an extra road trip and radiation filter between ore tiers", but it leaves you an in game logic out for when it's own procgen fucks up. Or you just want extra loot on the same save guy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Zereth posted:

Layers, I'm pretty sure.

alrighty then

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kalas posted:

They could use the original seed, then run it through the world builder a bit more to make progressively more and more alien worlds.

Oh I like that, so the further you go from home, the more degraded a take on the original world it becomes. That alone could be some plot stuff, to boot.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dackel posted:

Tectoria

Catchy name, but makes me afraid of earthquakes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A factorio-like on a vertical plane sounds like it could be pretty interesting, honestly.

Oxygen Not Included is kind of close but it's more focused on management and survival than logistics.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

In general i find building in 2d to be way more enjoyable for me because you can get good looking results way faster, so building some weird fabrication or refining line does sound like fun when attached to a game that has plenty of other things to do. Factorio on its own doesn't sound fun to me.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
New npc happiness and town system post

As a fan of not making mega-prisons for npcs, I am overjoyed at this system.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'm so used to building Soviet Efficiency Apartments that it's gonna be a fun challenge to adapt to the new system. I'm really looking forward to this change!

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Zoig posted:

In general i find building in 2d to be way more enjoyable for me because you can get good looking results way faster, so building some weird fabrication or refining line does sound like fun when attached to a game that has plenty of other things to do. Factorio on its own doesn't sound fun to me.

You might want to consider Oxygen Not Included, once you get over the early game survival hump (which will admittedly kill a base or three) you mainly build elaborate contraptions that minimize power use or duplicant (the name for the little ingame people) time.

That said, decoration is way more limited than something like Terraria and mainly limited to redoing your base's layout in a more pleasing/efficient fashion.

e: So happiness solves the Brutalist Sadness Block and the Teleportation Is An Expensive Pain In The rear end problems at once? Brilliant!

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 1, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

graynull posted:

Simple but effective. Cash discounts, unlocks hand placed biome teleports, keeping the safety margin against enemy spawns so you don't get punished for trying to do something interesting without even more prepwork.

The fact they give you a "convenience for your opt in" is the sort of thing that makes Terraria good, where so many other "NPC Needs" systems are just plate spinning for the sake of plate spinning and maybe a pittance at best.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

graynull posted:

Finally, I'll have a reason to build seperate housing and sutff beyond "i need jungle things from withc doctor" or "i need mushroom house for mushroom man"! I was upset about the "not everybody want to be in the forest" bit until saw what pylons do. Those will be nice.

Just need to wait for 1.4 mods and cheat in some remote magic storage access stuff so i can get at my enormous pile of stuff from any of these min-bases!

And I like that it takes a whole three NPCs to make it a Town, and that changes the music so you can tell when you've turns off spawns. Also: the music preview video has two merchants in the building. :thunk:

EDIT: Wait, isn't the buff Sunflowers give you when they're on-screen "Happy"? They might become important again! Before hardmode they were very helpful for blocking the spread of corruption, but that stops working in hardmode so it's not very relevant anymore.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 1, 2020

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh that’s such a good mechanic

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

"Happiness Management" is usually a big red flag but this sounds like a good set of incentives for making nice houses instead of apartments, with the option for apartments still on the table if you don't care about nice things.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah the key i noticed was that the only penalty for them being unhappy was increased shop prices, so it doesn't sound like happiness is necessary, just advised. In general it seems like the rewards for doing this are well worth the effort given.

Also gem trees are a solution to a problem i did not know i had.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

As someone who loves playing town layout/interior decorator with Terraria NPCs anyways, this is great news!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

JustJeff88 posted:

Catchy name, but makes me afraid of earthquakes.

Just had terrifying flashbacks to playing MotherLoad, the pre-Terraria flash game with tunnel-ruining earthquakes

http://www.xgenstudios.com/game.php?keyword=motherload

watho
Aug 2, 2013

god i played so much motherload

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I can think of few games that give you such a rewarding sense of fast progress as MotherLoad. A warning though, it runs out rather abruptly and leaves you with a hollow feeling. Not much replay value unless you're speedrunning.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zoig posted:

Yeah the key i noticed was that the only penalty for them being unhappy was increased shop prices, so it doesn't sound like happiness is necessary, just advised. In general it seems like the rewards for doing this are well worth the effort given.

Also gem trees are a solution to a problem i did not know i had.
Not even increased, you'll merely have to pay the price you'd pay right now. And they're not locking any inventory behind it either, so all you're missing out on if you continue making a giant bare-bones apartment block is lower prices and lack of those teleporters. And stuff like the witch doctor's biome-specific merchandise but you'd be missing that right now.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Zereth posted:

Not even increased, you'll merely have to pay the price you'd pay right now. And they're not locking any inventory behind it either, so all you're missing out on if you continue making a giant bare-bones apartment block is lower prices and lack of those teleporters. And stuff like the witch doctor's biome-specific merchandise but you'd be missing that right now.

Oh, you're right, it only said prices will adjust depending on how happy npcs are so there's literally no downside to not engaging with the system, and the benefits are a easy fast travel system, and lower prices.

This might possibly be the one of best implementations of happiness i have ever seen.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The town thing is a great idea, but now I just want some useless npcs to hang around and fill out these scattershot towns.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

The town thing is a great idea, but now I just want some useless npcs to hang around and fill out these scattershot towns.
If you installed the right mods you could end up with, like, 40 loving town NPCs.

Also, if you go look at the preview there's actually two merchants on screen. :thunk:

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm glad they are introducing the biome pylons along with the other changes because having to hop around to different parts of the map to access your NPCs pre-teleporters would have been a tedious nightmare. Seems like they realized that and addressed it in an elegant way.

Though I kind of wish furniture quality did matter. A layer of progression that involves attaining higher quality goods for your NPCs is a staple of town management games and could work in Terraria as well if done right.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 2, 2020

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Zereth posted:

If you installed the right mods you could end up with, like, 40 loving town NPCs.

Also, if you go look at the preview there's actually two merchants on screen. :thunk:

NPC count goes up the more people present in a multiplayer server.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Boss and Item Rebalance for Journey's End

Those flail changes make my old glacial heart shudder with joy.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

graynull posted:

Not looking forward to actually having to fight Moon Lord properly

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mfcrocker posted:

Seems like the minecart/rail cheese might still work?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

I wonder if "get on your UFO and move directly away from him while firing chlorophyte bullets out of a vortex beater in his general direction" will still work.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I actually really appreciate the biome background changes, they look real good.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

graynull posted:

hot drat a proper Stand

now to mod in "ORAORAORAORA"

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

What's the buzz like on how long it's going to be for some of the major mods like Thorium and Calamity to make the jump to 1.4? Since tModLoader is being cooked right into the pie, are they working with some of the big mods to help them have a head start on getting ready?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

modloader being bundled with the game means you’ll be able to have a modded 1.3 install and a 1.4 install that can be launched separately. tmodloader for 1.4 will come eventually but don’t expect mods to work with it for a while. this is the first update since tmodloader came out right? at least the first major one

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i feel like you didn't totally understand my question, obviously on launch day mods currently available for 1.3 will not function with 1.4

i was asking if anyone with their ears closer to the ground knew if we were looking at any timeframes for the big ones, or if there was any buzz that the devs have been working with the major modders to try to give them a head start on updating their stuff for 1.4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Patware posted:

i feel like you didn't totally understand my question, obviously on launch day mods currently available for 1.3 will not function with 1.4

i was asking if anyone with their ears closer to the ground knew if we were looking at any timeframes for the big ones, or if there was any buzz that the devs have been working with the major modders to try to give them a head start on updating their stuff for 1.4

The mod framework itself won't be updated at launch so modders really don't have much of a chance as far as head starts go.