Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

mafia never changes. we'll never be free of "actually, thinking thats suspicious is the TRULY suspicious thing." "aha, well thinking that thinking thats suspicious is even MORE truly suspicious!"

zzyzx posted:

Amni probably saw Steak say something mildly awkward and thought, "If I get a hit here, it'll be the next big mafia instagram moment and we'll all laugh and I'll be very popular."

But then he missed like a doofus, and probably had to play off the fact that he's kind of embarrassed by it. Just a...yes, a joke! I meant to do that all along, guys.

I do think this is absolutely possible, to be fair. im always open to having my mind changed, but this is the best, most suspicious lead i have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

zzyzx posted:

Amni probably saw Steak say something mildly awkward and thought, "If I get a hit here, it'll be the next big mafia instagram moment and we'll all laugh and I'll be very popular."

But then he missed like a doofus, and probably had to play off the fact that he's kind of embarrassed by it. Just a...yes, a joke! I meant to do that all along, guys.

Lot of over analysis going on here, even if it is a townread.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Wasn't there a famous example where this exact same thing happened? Someone posted about getting the conversation starter and was immediately dayvigged?

It was really funny that time too

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Varinn posted:

Scum, third party, doesn't particularly matter. But absolutely having the ability to do this "I'm wacky!" thing so early, and then just coast for the rest of the game because well, they're the town vig, is absolutely the sort of thing an overeager villain with a daykill would do.

A scum day kill is an incredibly powerful tool. As mentioned before it could be used in LYLO to end the game earlier for them. By using it this early, he's brought massive attention on himself day 1 for no real benefit. I can't imagine scum letting a confirmed vig coast to the end game. He still has to vote and participate or he'd get lunched himself.

Personally, popping off day 1 is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from a Town Vig with that kind of power.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Also how has no one posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbfaZUzgMrs

Amni is town he's also stupid.

Yuming and Varinn are also town they are just too eager to speculate.

Everyone involved is town out to one distance out and also out to two distance with Jose.

The scum are somewhere in here:

merk (1): Voodoofly
zzyzx (1): The Ninth Layer
Varinn (1): Jose Valasquez
The Ninth Layer (1): zzyzx
Sandwolf (1): Amnistar
jivjov (1): LordNad
LordNad (1): jivjov

Not Voting (13): 50 pounds of bread, CapnAndy, CCKeane, Deadbeat Dad, hambeet, Jamuraan, Khris Kruel, kumba, merk, Sandwolf, Token Female, Tom Tucker, vivat virtute

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Look at this guy over here:

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Very nice of Mr. Steak to let all of the veterans romp freely now

(at Amni)

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Write a haiku on why you aren't scum

Keeping the center of attention on Amni while keepin those posts up!

Sandwolf is town he seems to get it when he's talking with Yuming.

zzyzx - also fricken gets it - lotta people getting it so far.

Look at this guy:

LordNad posted:

A scum day kill is an incredibly powerful tool. As mentioned before it could be used in LYLO to end the game earlier for them. By using it this early, he's brought massive attention on himself day 1 for no real benefit. I can't imagine scum letting a confirmed vig coast to the end game. He still has to vote and participate or he'd get lunched himself.

Personally, popping off day 1 is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from a Town Vig with that kind of power.

Observe how it says so much while also saying nothing at all - this is the post of someone who gets it but unlike Sandwolf or zzyzx they want to be SEEN getting it so that everyone goes "this guy gets it".

Suspicious of DBD and LordNad!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Oops included Jose in my votefinder c/p where scum are by accident sorry Jose.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Oops included Jose in my votefinder c/p where scum are by accident sorry Jose.

I thought you literally included everyone as a joke post. I was proud you for making a good joke

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Jose Valasquez posted:

I thought you literally included everyone as a joke post. I was proud you for making a good joke

You should have known better you only have yourself to blame.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

The scum are somewhere in here:

merk (1): Voodoofly

Not Voting (13): 50 pounds of bread, CapnAndy, CCKeane, Deadbeat Dad, hambeet, Jamuraan, Khris Kruel, kumba, merk, Sandwolf, Token Female, Tom Tucker, vivat virtute

:thunk:

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
If I wanted to keep suspicion on someone AND claim some sort of quality from my posts it surely wouldn't be from two joke posts you quoted from me, Tom!

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Tom Tucker posted:

Look at this guy over here:

(at Amni)

Keeping the center of attention on Amni while keepin those posts up!

Sandwolf is town he seems to get it when he's talking with Yuming.

zzyzx - also fricken gets it - lotta people getting it so far.

Look at this guy:

Observe how it says so much while also saying nothing at all - this is the post of someone who gets it but unlike Sandwolf or zzyzx they want to be SEEN getting it so that everyone goes "this guy gets it".

Suspicious of DBD and LordNad!

I thought it was pretty clear, Amni is far more likely to be town.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Also I'm going to be honest, I skimmed the thread and thought Mr. Steak misfired or did a fake day action and died. Missed Amni's shot entirely. All the vig talk actually makes sense now since I thought it was superfluous.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Ah look at this suddenly we all got something serious to say.

(LordNad yours was already serious it just didn't add anything and rubbed my gut the wrong way in a "I'm participating in the discussion!" kind of way).

DBD conversations have momentum and your post, while joking, applied momentum to the conversation on Amni - it would compel him to respond, it would compel him to do it in a weird way, or he ignores it, either way he's now talking about why he isn't scum and the momentum keeps going.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Also I'm going to be honest, I skimmed the thread and thought Mr. Steak misfired or did a fake day action and died. Missed Amni's shot entirely. All the vig talk actually makes sense now since I thought it was superfluous.

So you misread the thread and just happened to ask the person who was gaining serious votes due to a day action to describe why he wasn't scum in a "joke post"? Why Amni? Did you see the vote totals or the votes on him?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Also explains my post which said "nice of Mr. Steak to let us veterans romp freely now" because I attributed it to him instead of Amni because I'm a dumbass.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Truly, Amni's greatest sin is murdering the jokephase.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

It's almost reason enough for me to want to vote Amni. But I want more before I vote.

Guys, I'd like to join this weak vote, but want to appear thoughtful about it before I do. Somebody please give me permission to do so, using graphs and charts where available.

Varinn posted:

Immediately busting your poo poo out and then backpedaling into "haha it was a joke, i'm like a ghost or a dog and just sort of do things randomly. im harmless!" is definitely a good way to play the game.

Unfortunately, it's not a good way to play if you're innocent of crimes. ##vote Amnistar

Oh, okay. That'll work.

Next post:

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I'm voting you because you didnt include a cool send off line when shooting him, you should have been all "It looks like this Steak just got sent back to the kitchen" ##vote Amnistar

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tom Tucker posted:

So you misread the thread and just happened to ask the person who was gaining serious votes due to a day action to describe why he wasn't scum in a "joke post"? Why Amni? Did you see the vote totals or the votes on him?

I don't know if I blanked out on half the posts on the vig page but I'm being honest when I say I just read the post from Amni (which is the one I responded and quoted) and jokingly asked him to write a haiku because of his shame avatar in another game. Nothing more than that.

Nina edit: Obviously he was responding to being suspected in that post as well, but didn't read much prior.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I gotta say the "not actually reading the thread" and "dumbass" defenses aren't super swaying me here!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I don't know if I blanked out on half the posts on the vig page but I'm being honest when I say I just read the post from Amni (which is the one I responded and quoted) and jokingly asked him to write a haiku because of his shame avatar in another game. Nothing more than that.

Nina edit: Obviously he was responding to being suspected in that post as well, but didn't read much prior.

OK so you're lurking, skimming, not reading things even when a player flip happens and happen to interact with the main player in the farce despite the fact you didn't even read who died / what happened / what was going on.

I suppose it's plausible but if so then step your game up DBD that's helping no one.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

zzyzx posted:

My job here is complete.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Tom Tucker posted:

I gotta say the "not actually reading the thread" and "dumbass" defenses aren't super swaying me here!

Swaying from what? Why would I think you criticizing two joke posts constitutes some sort of valid case for me to "sway" you?

You can believe me or not. Unless you think it's some elaborate plot for me to blame Mr. Steak for his own death for no reason.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

##unvote

##vote officer liver

The “I’m almost ready to vote but need more” post then voting amni right after stuck out skimming on my phone.

Also I’m the last person to ever clear someone from a role but that said daykill scum or sk on day 1 s pretty far fetched. I’m not voting amni today except to avoid a no lynch

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

zzyzx posted:

Guys, I'd like to join this weak vote, but want to appear thoughtful about it before I do. Somebody please give me permission to do so, using graphs and charts where available.

Oh, okay. That'll work.

Next post:

Liger doesn't actually think Amni is scum - isn't that right Liger?

And since that's the case and the vote count (with unvotes) at the end of the day is one of the key tools to find scum then get your stuff together and unvote or give us some actual reasoning.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Jose Valasquez posted:

Wasn't there a famous example where this exact same thing happened? Someone posted about getting the conversation starter and was immediately dayvigged?

It was really funny that time too

I promise I'm not going to keep interjecting but I know it would kill me to not figure out what game it was
(I only remember because I was in it)

"What we really need is something to stir up discussion"

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Token Female posted:

I was very confused by the day kill. Mr. Steak shoots in the thread and then Mr. Steak dies, but still have votes in the following vote finder. Am I dumb?

vivat virtute posted:

you know steak was doing a fake action right

When these posts exist and you skim, yes, I can earnestly say I thought Mr. Steak killed himself.

Much more engaged now though, don't you worry TT.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Taking a note from Merk the last game and periodically posting votecounts to use in rereads.

Votecount for Day 1

Amnistar (3): yuming, Varinn, OFFICER LIGER
merk (1): Jose Valasquez, Jose Valasquez, Voodoofly
CapnAndy (0): LordNad, LordNad

With 23 alive, it's 12 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Deadbeat Dad posted:

When these posts exist and you skim, yes, I can earnestly say I thought Mr. Steak killed himself.

Much more engaged now though, don't you worry TT.

Cool we're cool.

Liger my gut says town I'd encourage you to swing by and clarify for everyone.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Also Amni isn't scum for the action of shooting Steak. Whether or not scum have the vig ability is a different conversation in itself, but the action isn't inherently scummy. I can count on one hand how many times a vig has held a shot past D1 (the most recent one being one of my games, but there was a reason for that).

Shooters shoot.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Kloaked00 posted:

I promise I'm not going to keep interjecting but I know it would kill me to not figure out what game it was
(I only remember because I was in it)

"What we really need is something to stir up discussion"

That ducking game. So good and so close to winning after being all alone from the start.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Shouldn’t my vote be on Liger?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

Shouldn’t my vote be on Liger?

Bold text, like so:

##vote LIGER

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

DBD did you think steak killed himself

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

##unvote

##vote Liger

I honestly can’t remember do we need to unvote with voterfinder?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

vivat virtute posted:

DBD did you think steak killed himself

I was under the impression until very recently as you read this page

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Varinn posted:

Scum, third party, doesn't particularly matter. But absolutely having the ability to do this "I'm wacky!" thing so early, and then just coast for the rest of the game because well, they're the town vig, is absolutely the sort of thing an overeager villain with a daykill would do.

You kind of made it so he won't do it now because casing him immediately after and accusing him of doing this doesn't ring true. It's projection. He shot, he was wrong, really not much else you can do as a vig except go "welp, I hosed up!"

Like, in theory, if this exact scenario happened I agree that the vig should be looked at, but now it gives room for Amni to be like "hey, I didn't coast after my vig and played like this this and this" because you called him out for something he hasn't even been able to do and now he's very aware.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

##unvote

##vote Liger

I honestly can’t remember do we need to unvote with voterfinder?

No, it's been fixed from what I understand.

I'll take my vote off. ##unvote

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Khris Kruel posted:

is this seriously an OMGUS?

That was quick

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

OFFICER LIGER posted:

No, it's been fixed from what I understand.

I'll take my vote off. ##unvote

Mind if I ask if you are a regular player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

As in rough approximation of games you’ve played