Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Varinn posted:

Scum, third party, doesn't particularly matter. But absolutely having the ability to do this "I'm wacky!" thing so early, and then just coast for the rest of the game because well, they're the town vig, is absolutely the sort of thing an overeager villain with a daykill would do.
Varinn, explain to me why scum would want to pop off now rather than wait for a more opportune time to fire off. This read doesn't ring with me at all.

Voodoofly posted:

Mind if I ask if you are a regular player?
I'm not. This is my second game in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

yuming posted:

##vote Amnistar

That kill is giving me "lol silly me oops!" scum-vibes.

yuming posted:

Yes, exactly.

Scum-Amni: "I did a thing Town do! I am carefree like a Town player!"

This is bad

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Varinn posted:

Immediately busting your poo poo out and then backpedaling into "haha it was a joke, i'm like a ghost or a dog and just sort of do things randomly. im harmless!" is definitely a good way to play the game.

Unfortunately, it's not a good way to play if you're innocent of crimes. ##vote Amnistar

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I'm voting you because you didnt include a cool send off line when shooting him, you should have been all "It looks like this Steak just got sent back to the kitchen" ##vote Amnistar

hmmm so are these

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Varinn, explain to me why scum would want to pop off now rather than wait for a more opportune time to fire off. This read doesn't ring with me at all.

I'm not. This is my second game in years.

Many games before that?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

Many games before that?

I played semi often I'd say 3 to 5 years ago. I'm not new to the game of mafia, but I don't have a meta understanding of most of these players if that's what you're angling after.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Varinn posted:

it was an example. i would've also been happy with what you just posted! because it adds context and clarity to an actual action with consequences. it fills out a profile of your posting, to compare against. but instead you didn't, and just tried to move on quickly until pressed, and unfortunately, i think that's pretty suspicious.

day 1 is lean on data, so it does truly rely on hunch and instinct, but your kill at least gives us a little meat on the bone

I think over explaining an action would have been more suspicious. Amnistar does not seem suss on the action or his explanation.

Leaning on this just seems like lowest hanging fruit.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

lol

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I played semi often I'd say 3 to 5 years ago. I'm not new to the game of mafia, but I don't have a meta understanding of most of these players if that's what you're angling after.

Was more after whether this would be your first or second time playing scum. The post I mentioned felt like a new scum player being wary. I know I made those sort of posts the first couple times I was scum.

But sounds like you probably don’t fit that mold.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

Was more after whether this would be your first or second time playing scum. The post I mentioned felt like a new scum player being wary. I know I made those sort of posts the first couple times I was scum.

But sounds like you probably don’t fit that mold.
What are you even angling for with a post like this?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

My warrior friend here is calling you a scrubby scumbo.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Then again, he's giving you an obvious out, which is maybe ironically performative?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

50 pounds of bread posted:

My warrior friend here is calling you a scrubby scumbo.

I'm aware, but why even open the line of questioning?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

OFFICER LIGER posted:

What are you even angling for with a post like this?

Wondering if a person might be in their first or second mafia team because I have no idea?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Throwing out random poo poo and then backing off it feels like scum DBD based on my recollection of playing scum together

##vote DBD

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

vivat virtute posted:

Throwing out random poo poo and then backing off it feels like scum DBD based on my recollection of playing scum together

##vote DBD

What did I back off of lol

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm really getting the feeling that being new to this game, and all of you, is gonna be a massive disadvantage haha.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

jivjov posted:

I'm really getting the feeling that being new to this game, and all of you, is gonna be a massive disadvantage haha.
I'm town, if it helps???

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jivjov posted:

The one thing to keep in mind is CapnAndy is never town.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I’m unavailable today and tomorrow. Monday will be fresh.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

I think a day vig that can't keep it in his pants is pretty much the biggest town read you can give off. I don't think Amni is smart enough to pull a scum gamble with this.

However, Liger is giving me some scummy vibes.

First we have him defending Amni:

OFFICER LIGER posted:

If I were a dayvig I would absolutely pop off first chance I got.

Right after this, Sandwolf posts about Amni's avatar, and Liger responds with a possible swing to Amni

Sandwolf posted:

yeah also Amni that new avatar is awful and I hate it

OFFICER LIGER posted:

It's almost reason enough for me to want to vote Amni. But I want more before I vote.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Amnistar posted:

No joke, I posted in my confessional I was going to hold it and just kill whoever had the most votes at 12 hours to deadline....it...didn't last long.

I'm voting you because you didnt include a cool send off line when shooting him, you should have been all "It looks like this Steak just got sent back to the kitchen" ##vote Amnistar

Then Amnistar defends himself about how he said in his confessional that he wouldn't pop it off, and he literally uses this as the reason to vote him, when he literally just said he would've done the same thing.

This reads like scum trying to find an easy lynch wave to get momentum going, and really not caring about Amni's alignment at all

##vote OFFICER LIGER

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

jivjov posted:

This video should serve as a good primer and answer most of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I won a Voodoofly Wifoa big game after Dhaes, my scum buddy, shot a person on day 1. I bussed him immediately and rode that to a win. A scum dayvig blowing someone away day 1 is definitely legitimate. That said, a scum dayvig shooting Steak, a usual town negative, is not that realistic.

My issue with the little stuff I’ve read is people discounting a scum day vig shooting d1 generally without mining into the context of who he shot at all. KK, in particular, has the fakest read. ##vote KK

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

why would Mr Steak give you clues to Amni's alignment, and it's fake if I didn't look at someone who was joking around?

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

If there's some big reveal about who Mr. Steak is, please enlighten us. I've never played with him and he looked like a newb townie to me

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

merk posted:

I won a Voodoofly Wifoa big game after Dhaes, my scum buddy, shot a person on day 1. I bussed him immediately and rode that to a win. A scum dayvig blowing someone away day 1 is definitely legitimate. That said, a scum dayvig shooting Steak, a usual town negative, is not that realistic.

My issue with the little stuff I’ve read is people discounting a scum day vig shooting d1 generally without mining into the context of who he shot at all. KK, in particular, has the fakest read. ##vote KK

I mean Wifoa is meant to have stupid things like that occur.

I have no idea who me steak is, and I probably want to lunch just about anyone else over a day 1 daykill vig in this situation.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Khris Kruel posted:

I think a day vig that can't keep it in his pants is pretty much the biggest town read you can give off. I don't think Amni is smart enough to pull a scum gamble with this.

However, Liger is giving me some scummy vibes.

First we have him defending Amni:

Right after this, Sandwolf posts about Amni's avatar, and Liger responds with a possible swing to Amni

Then Amnistar defends himself about how he said in his confessional that he wouldn't pop it off, and he literally uses this as the reason to vote him, when he literally just said he would've done the same thing.

This reads like scum trying to find an easy lynch wave to get momentum going, and really not caring about Amni's alignment at all

##vote OFFICER LIGER
[/quote]

Did you also see my arguments where I said I don't think it was a scummy act to fire off day one? My vote on him was very clearly a joke vote.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

zzyzx posted:

This video should serve as a good primer and answer most of your questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1l7N-WLa3Q

Anyone who posts Muppet Treasure Island is my new best friend.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Did you also see my arguments where I said I don't think it was a scummy act to fire off day one? My vote on him was very clearly a joke vote.

I honestly think you were trying to disguise it as a joke as amni began getting votes that were not jokes. I know you're not dumb enough to not have situational awareness. And then you unvoted as the tide turned back to Amni being town.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Khris Kruel posted:

I honestly think you were trying to disguise it as a joke as amni began getting votes that were not jokes. I know you're not dumb enough to not have situational awareness. And then you unvoted as the tide turned back to Amni being town.
I unvoted because people didn't seem to understand it was a joke vote. He was nowhere near in danger of actually being voted.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

OFFICER LIGER posted:

I unvoted because people didn't seem to understand it was a joke vote. He was nowhere near in danger of actually being voted.

When you voted he had 3 votes by my count. Seems like an awful place to put a joke vote when a bandwagon was forming. It's a good cover for scum though.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

OFFICER LIGER posted:

You joke voted a guy with 2 serious votes and then unvoted when called out on it.

Seems to me you're trying to build momentum in the guise of "it's a joke vote".

##vote Officer Liger

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Life is basically a joke vote.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

3rd vote or not, LIGER's vote was pretty obviously a joke vote, I hate cases based on obvious joke votes

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

3rd vote or not, LIGER's vote was pretty obviously a joke vote, I hate cases based on obvious joke votes

Oh god, I just realized I almost got hosed over in HP for defending a LIGER joke vote :ohdear:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LordNad posted:

You joke voted a guy with 2 serious votes and then unvoted when called out on it.

Seems to me you're trying to build momentum in the guise of "it's a joke vote".

##vote Officer Liger
And you're voting trying to capitalize off a weak case, after agreeing with my prior points of view. I'm not a fan of your intent here. I'm also wary of yuming.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Khris Kruel posted:

why would Mr Steak give you clues to Amni's alignment, and it's fake if I didn't look at someone who was joking around?

It’s fake because the analysis is really surface level. I added on that Steak is usually a negative player for town to say that scum probably wouldn’t kill him d1.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Surface level yet very confidently presented as truth*

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

OFFICER LIGER posted:

And you're voting trying to capitalize off a weak case, after agreeing with my prior points of view. I'm not a fan of your intent here. I'm also wary of yuming.

I'm voting because what you did was scummy and your explanation afterwards doesn't feel right. Where did I agree with your prior points of view?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LordNad posted:

LordNad posted:

I'm voting because what you did was scummy and your explanation afterwards doesn't feel right. Where did I agree with your prior points of view?

Personally, popping off day 1 is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from a Town Vig with that kind of power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

So you admit you voted for a guy with 2 serious votes who you thought was town