Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I loved Origins and I wanted to like Odyssey (and I kinda did) but man, Greece did not grab me as a setting at all for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

exquisite tea posted:

I think a back-to-basics Far Cry concept that went pure immersive sim, zero UI elements with an emphasis on survival would be pretty terrifying and incredible on next-gen systems if they thought the formula was in need of a reboot.
I'd love a new FC game with the polished mechanics of the newer games, but going back to the immersive, 'real'-feeling world of FC2. No wacky minibosses, comedic NPCs, goofy sidequests or the inevitable Ubi dream/drug fantasy sequences, but a story that actually takes itself seriously and resists the temptation to wink at the player. FC2 was flawed, but running around in that beautiful, hostile (and highly flammable) landscape was a great experience.

Unity was the second AC I played (after Black Flag), and the first one I completed. Maybe it's because I picked it up quite some time after launch and the bugs had been patched out, but I never got the general disdain felt for it. Exploring Paris was fun in its own right.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I wanted to like Unity, but the controls were horrible on PC.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
Playing through odyssey on nightmare as a pure stealth character was amazing fun and quite a challenge when most people could one or two-shot you. Highly recommended.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Unit's Paris was one of the best cities in the series, they did a pretty great job of differentiating between the city districts and populating them with huge crowds.

On the other hand, the main story was a mess, aiming for a Les Miserables love story, except instead of two lovers kept separate by grand historical circumstance and endangered by a tragically failed revolution, you had two main leads who were kept apart by an ideological conflict between too organisations that neither the characters or the writers seemed interested in, set in a bizarrely royalist depiction of the French Revolution.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

If people are looking for games involving Vikings, I highly recommend Expeditions: Viking, an RPG with a similar-ish premise to Screed Valhalla, albeit set about 100 years earlier. You're a Danish lad/lass who becomes involved in a feud and decides the best way to boost your clan's status is to go and plunder/ally with the various factions in England and Scotland. It's got pretty solid turn-based gameplay and a surprisingly great soundtrack and voice acting for an indie game.

e: plus it's on sale now

Gato fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 3, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kuiperdolin posted:

Bad, clumsy combat
Bad plot
The whole plot is just the prologue to a story that never happens (since Brotherhood veered in a completely different direction)
Seriously people whine about 3 having tutorials in sequence 3 when whole new systems are introduced but in 2 you reach the 2/3 mark and there's a tutorial about climbing walls.
Boring and/or kitsch cities except San Gimignano
The dumb Carnival games
Everything good was done better by Brotherhood

The one good point is the ending when Minerva broke the three-and-a-halfth wall. That was funny.

yeah. 2 has not aged well. i think most people just like ezio alot and how he is built up even more in the sequels.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

idk how well they’ve aged but i loved all the locations of ac2, especially venice

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
AC2 combat is better than Odyssey combat.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

jesus WEP posted:

idk how well they’ve aged but i loved all the locations of ac2, especially venice

Yep! The architecture of Florence still does it for me. Give me better crowds and Origins/Odyssey parkour and I'd be all set.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

same. i do love italy. id love to go to Florence someday.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. i do love italy. id love to go to Florence someday.

Like I've been saying, Ubisoft should totally make an Assassin's Creed about the Fourth Crusade. We'd be able to visit all the favorites again in a new light -- Venice, Constantinople, Greece. Plus the actual historical event was so loving crazy that it would fit right at home within the AC metaplot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Like I've been saying, Ubisoft should totally make an Assassin's Creed about the Fourth Crusade. We'd be able to visit all the favorites again in a new light -- Venice, Constantinople, Greece. Plus the actual historical event was so loving crazy that it would fit right at home within the AC metaplot.

they might someday. i assume Asia/china/maybe japan is coming someday.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I feel like Assassin's Creed: Shinobi would be treading on Sekiro and Nioh's toes a bit.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I just hope they bring back a proper history database.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think China would be incredibly dope for an AC setting. There's lots of crazy interesting history you could cover, it's huge so you wouldn't have any shortage of material to build environments out of, lots of opportunities for gorgeous vistas and naturescapes.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Great, now you've got me thinking about how much I'd love to play AC:RotK. That's going to occupy my mind forever as a thing that will never happen.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Sequence 4: Pursue...Lu Bu.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think China would be incredibly dope for an AC setting. There's lots of crazy interesting history you could cover, it's huge so you wouldn't have any shortage of material to build environments out of, lots of opportunities for gorgeous vistas and naturescapes.

Taiping Rebellion AC.

Honestly,I wouldn't be surprised if the next AC after Valhalla, the first next gen only one doesn't just announce itself in the reveal with "oh, and the world map for this one?" And pull back to a complete globe. Assassin's Creed: Earth. And 1850-1870ish would be really good choice; big history happening literally everywhere then, split the main focus between the USCW and Taiping but have things going on everywhere...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

JustaDamnFool posted:

Unit's Paris was one of the best cities in the series, they did a pretty great job of differentiating between the city districts and populating them with huge crowds.

On the other hand, the main story was a mess, aiming for a Les Miserables love story, except instead of two lovers kept separate by grand historical circumstance and endangered by a tragically failed revolution, you had two main leads who were kept apart by an ideological conflict between too organisations that neither the characters or the writers seemed interested in, set in a bizarrely royalist depiction of the French Revolution.

This is even funnier coming from a french developer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

Great, now you've got me thinking about how much I'd love to play AC:RotK. That's going to occupy my mind forever as a thing that will never happen.

You can however play AC:Return of the King tho

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It would, but Ubisoft would have to tread incredibly softly not to piss off the Chinese government

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Way back, some lead developer said that by far the most requested settings were medieval China, feudal Japan and ancient Egypt, but that those incidentally were also the three worst possible settings for an Assassin's Creed game. They evidently found a way to make ancient Egypt work, so it's entirely possible the other two are somewhere in the pipeline.

E: Correction, apparently the three most requested and terrible settings were feudal Japan, ancient Egypt and World War II, which, uh, yeah, I don't think that third one is in the works.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 3, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Way back, some lead developer said that by far the most requested settings were medieval China, feudal Japan and ancient Egypt, but that those incidentally were also the three worst possible settings for an Assassin's Creed game.

AC has been all over the place, don’t know what this means tbh.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Way back, some lead developer said that by far the most requested settings were medieval China, feudal Japan and ancient Egypt, but that those incidentally were also the three worst possible settings for an Assassin's Creed game. They evidently found a way to make ancient Egypt work, so it's entirely possible the other two are somewhere in the pipeline.

E: Correction, apparently the three most requested and terrible settings were feudal Japan, ancient Egypt and World War II, which, uh, yeah, I don't think that third one is in the works.

The WWI bits of Syndicate are some of the best so it's doable I think, but WW2 is pretty well-trodden ground and the whole 'explore the pretty-looking shorthand version of an ancient culture' is definitely part of the appeal which a game set within living memory would lack.

I do like the idea of a bigger emphasis of the same location seen through a few different time periods, though.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

One of the side scrolling AC games was set in China.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I feel like Assassin's Creed: Shinobi would be treading on Sekiro and Nioh's toes a bit.

that and ghost of tsushima is gonna hit in july too.

Wolfsheim posted:

The WWI bits of Syndicate are some of the best so it's doable I think, but WW2 is pretty well-trodden ground and the whole 'explore the pretty-looking shorthand version of an ancient culture' is definitely part of the appeal which a game set within living memory would lack.

I do like the idea of a bigger emphasis of the same location seen through a few different time periods, though.

yeah i would sorta like a AC anthology type game where its one place spread of maybe like 3 or so time periods.

also i like that they maybe expanding the gently caress out of the merc/random bounty hunter system.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 3, 2020

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Not terribly excited for the Viking era setting. Feels like they are really playing it safe with the upgoing trend of viking movies/series and God of war games. Early modern European, or near eastern/eastern, asian and mesoamerican settings would be a better fit for parkour and traversable interesting landscapes i think, and more novelty in depicted regions and periods. Viking-era British isles is already well-tread with poorer architecture for climbable exploring.

And then theres the issue of making assassin freedom fighters protagonists out of invading marauders.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I finished the last of the main three questlines in Odyssey this morning, and I'm actually relieved to be done with it. There were still quite a few side quests left to do, but I don't feel any urge to do them.

I went through most of the game trying to go for an Assassin/stealth build, but the game just isn't built for it. There's too many instances where stealth breaks in weird ways or just straight up isn't an option, like boss fights, conquest battles, ship boarding, and so on. Unless you like waiting for a single ability cooldown, I guess. I ended up using a secondary set of Hunter/bow gear which worked well enough.

Using arrows on everything really exemplifies how much of a sponge everything is, though. Just peppering things until they die. The Medusa boss fight was 20 minutes of the same two attacks, easily avoided, small sticks flying all the while.

I liked what was done in terms of an RPG direction for dialogue options, which kept me going through the game. I love ancient Greece as a setting too. But I dunno, the overall gameplay and combat just feels like it's a half-baked system that really needs some retooling.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Codeacious posted:

I finished the last of the main three questlines in Odyssey this morning, and I'm actually relieved to be done with it. There were still quite a few side quests left to do, but I don't feel any urge to do them.

I went through most of the game trying to go for an Assassin/stealth build, but the game just isn't built for it. There's too many instances where stealth breaks in weird ways or just straight up isn't an option, like boss fights, conquest battles, ship boarding, and so on. Unless you like waiting for a single ability cooldown, I guess. I ended up using a secondary set of Hunter/bow gear which worked well enough.

Using arrows on everything really exemplifies how much of a sponge everything is, though. Just peppering things until they die. The Medusa boss fight was 20 minutes of the same two attacks, easily avoided, small sticks flying all the while.

I liked what was done in terms of an RPG direction for dialogue options, which kept me going through the game. I love ancient Greece as a setting too. But I dunno, the overall gameplay and combat just feels like it's a half-baked system that really needs some retooling.

my issue with odyssey is its way to big and the quests and the pacing dont support it well, plus the leveling. origins also had pacing issues too but i thought it handled it better.

Falukorv posted:

Not terribly excited for the Viking era setting. Feels like they are really playing it safe with the upgoing trend of viking movies/series and God of war games. Early modern European, or near eastern/eastern, asian and mesoamerican settings would be a better fit for parkour and traversable interesting landscapes i think, and more novelty in depicted regions and periods. Viking-era British isles is already well-tread with poorer architecture for climbable exploring.

And then theres the issue of making assassin freedom fighters protagonists out of invading marauders.

i dont know enough about the time period to dislike it. though i do like its look so far. i am not british so i dont know dick about dark ages england but watching last kingdom, it feels weirdly fallout.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The bosses designed so you had to spend 90% of the fight plinking them with arrows were a low point in Origins and I was annoyed to see them return in Odyssey.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

How does Syndicate handle the dual protagonist thing? Are there some missions you have to do as Evie, some as Jacob, or can you mostly complete everything as one or the other with different strengths and weaknesses?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

exquisite tea posted:

How does Syndicate handle the dual protagonist thing? Are there some missions you have to do as Evie, some as Jacob, or can you mostly complete everything as one or the other with different strengths and weaknesses?

Some as Evie, some as Jacob, Evie is better at stealth and is also the most brutal executioner ever

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

exquisite tea posted:

Some missions are gated between one or the other iirc. Besides that just go with whoever you prefer. That said they are basically identical outside of some minor talent differences. The 3 main weapons in the game are interchangeable between the two, although it feels more "correct" to give Evie the cane sword, and Jacob the knucks, but maybe that is just me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i went into the medusa fight underleveled and it really made it too hard, one mistake and i would be toast. had to peace out and get up to 50, then it was fine. don’t think i shot too many arrows either, just tons and tons of fire damage and whatever legendary set it was that complemented fire damage

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Some as Evie, some as Jacob, Evie is better at stealth and is also the most brutal executioner ever

Brutal ladydeath is why I play video games.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

jesus WEP posted:

i went into the medusa fight underleveled and it really made it too hard, one mistake and i would be toast. had to peace out and get up to 50, then it was fine. don’t think i shot too many arrows either, just tons and tons of fire damage and whatever legendary set it was that complemented fire damage

The Medusa fight was a lowpoint of the game when it should have been the highpoint. I went in around level 47 playing on hard, and the fight was legit like 30+ minutes of just the same 2-3 sequences cause i'd die in 2 hits and my hits did basically nothing.

I love the idea of fighting the myth creatures but I hope they don't do them the exact same way in in Valhalla. Honestly i'd be ok if they made them just more cinematic style fights vs dodge shoot arrow, quick melee, dodge, repeat.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Since there's been chatter about the series as a whole I'm curious to hear how y'all would rank the assassins of the series. I've only ever played AC1 and now Origins and a bit of Odyssey myself so I can't really make a list. I will say though that Bayek is surprisingly endearing in his giant murder quest and I love seeing him go into Cool Dad Mode as soon as he's around any children. Haven't spent much time on Odyssey yet, mostly just played a little tiny chunk of the start, but I already really enjoy Kassandra. She carries so much "done with these idiots in this idiot world" energy and it's great. Also pretending to be Hermes from the back of a shrine cave was great.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Since there's been chatter about the series as a whole I'm curious to hear how y'all would rank the assassins of the series. I've only ever played AC1 and now Origins and a bit of Odyssey myself so I can't really make a list. I will say though that Bayek is surprisingly endearing in his giant murder quest and I love seeing him go into Cool Dad Mode as soon as he's around any children. Haven't spent much time on Odyssey yet, mostly just played a little tiny chunk of the start, but I already really enjoy Kassandra. She carries so much "done with these idiots in this idiot world" energy and it's great. Also pretending to be Hermes from the back of a shrine cave was great.
Bayek, Ezio, Kassandra, Kenway, then idk but those are the good ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

best tier= bayek, kassandra and ezio, haythem

good tier= evie, edward, shay, alyxios

ok tier/ezio clones. arno, jacob,

alright. liberation protag and conner.