Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Oblivious posted:

Like seriously look at how all the other Demiurges have tried to mold Allison or the Heir. Solomon David, Mottom, Incubus. They all know they’re stuck in a rut but the only way they can conceive of the true king is “like me but even moreso so that they somehow don’t get stuck in my rut”

Zoss is the only one to say “stop doing the poo poo we did”

Gog literally tried to make Allison into more of her, meanwhile.

Rhaka posted:

The Very Wise Frog puts his money where his mouth is, unlike Meti and Zoss.

Meti died to teach Maya a lesson and Zoss exposed himself and died while passing the master key on to Allison. That he gave her the key at all also seems to imply that he expects her to use it in some form, like when he more or less encouraged her to obliterate Mottom's husband.

Also, re: Zoss, smugness, etc:

“The old bugger always tried to dissuade his own worship. Hated the whole idea of divinity, matter of fact. But it didn’t matter. The common people worshiped him. The city guard worshiped him, and so did the priest class. Bleeding hells, the demiurges, princes of the world, held him as their king. I’m sure a few o’ them had a little beardy shrine set up somewhere.

I mean, just look at what the bastard could do.”

Mars Pallatrix, Belligerent knight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
if god refuses worship, should you still cut him to see if he bleeds? :thunk:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

gently caress around and find out

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
me, clueless: Today I'm gonna come at the king.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Roland Jones posted:

Also, re: Zoss, smugness, etc:

“The old bugger always tried to dissuade his own worship. Hated the whole idea of divinity, matter of fact. But it didn’t matter. The common people worshiped him. The city guard worshiped him, and so did the priest class. Bleeding hells, the demiurges, princes of the world, held him as their king. I’m sure a few o’ them had a little beardy shrine set up somewhere.

I mean, just look at what the bastard could do.”

Mars Pallatrix, Belligerent knight

And then he at least realized the only way to have people not worship you is to just bugger off long enough that they forget

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Uh just challenge SD to a bleeding contest. Incubus is practically a colostomy bag full of blood anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

paranoid randroid posted:

That is a sloppy cut. If you are going to cut a god, then you must Cut them so that existence itself weeps at the perfection of your Cut, bisecting that god in totality.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is a sloppy cut. If you are going to cut a god, then you must Cut them so that existence itself weeps at the perfection of your Cut, bisecting that god in totality.

help i cut god in half but now god is in my head nagging me what do

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
to make matters worse, god isnt even mad, just disappointed

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Tell him to shut up or you'll drink yourself to death.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Update good holy poo poo

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I remember reading this way back when it came out and there were only 30-odd pages. I found it again and read the whole thing yesterday and I am very surprised and happy that it turned out to be a very well-written gay kung fu philosophy story! I had no idea what direction it was going to go in when it first came out, it just seemed like a very obtuse, flashy horror comic. Thank you to whichever goon posted it in one of those cool comics panels threads in BBS, I would never have looked at it again otherwise.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I'd say there's a difference between being ganked by an Incubus/Juggernaut Star vs an angry lumberjack.

Picking fights or hanging out with top tier violent jackasses will have you die at some point, but you're an active participant of this whole shitshow. If you're just farming your potatoes and violence comes a-knockin' you die unless you are a violent jackass yourself.

Meti and Zoss have very little to fear from random violence, where Noodles McGee gets owned immediately by any passerby, as did the Very Wise Frog.

Carry Samura in your heart but carry a big stick.

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 3, 2020

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Relinquish your foolish
delusions of control.

Cheers mate, I went and used this after seeing no one else claim it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There Bias Two posted:

I really can't imagine what sort of stance Abbadon will take with this that would be philosophically satisfying.

Allison is going to die later in the story, and she isn't going to give a poo poo about it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Paramemetic posted:

Because in order to become god you have to be over being god

If you want to be god or you think being god is something worthy of your effort, you're not truly free. You have an attachment and a desire and that rules you.

Actually being royalty means not giving a poo poo about being royalty, otherwise you're just stuck pretending like all these demiurges

https://youtu.be/Ia4UjRTKBaY

Vegeta on finally ascending only after giving up control.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Motherfucker posted:

me, clueless: Today I'm gonna [become a] king.

*sells bomb-rear end noodles and lives joyously for the rest of their life*

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Rhaka posted:

I think my issue is more that only people with power get an actual choice in the matter. So it's a bit cheeky to advocate for being a happy peasant who will get obliterated when they themselves will never be in that position.

"Hi, yes, you, you and your loved ones are probably hosed but you should be okay with that. My life of sick kung-fu kicks sucks, I'm always busy kicking people."

Meti wasn't chatting up some random person on the street about the perils of the choice. She was telling an aspiring student (who thinks a "life of sick kung-fu kicks" is a good life choice) not to follow in her footsteps.

Meti was not busy always kicking people, she was busy always killing people. To keep the noodle vendor alive, Maya killed at least a half-dozen other people/beings in cold blood.

Maya and Meti weren't born with power. To get power, they both decided to throw the rest of their lives away and to live prepared to strike others down on the spot with every last ounce of their might.

If a vaccine for cancer/covid/whatever required you to spend the remainder of your life preparing and planning to murder every person you met, would you take it? Would you want a loved one to take it?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Whenever anybody links DBZ I will always point you to the superior DBZ abridged take on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b65MLS6_w9Q&t=443s

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

M_Gargantua posted:

Whenever anybody links DBZ I will always point you to the superior DBZ abridged take on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b65MLS6_w9Q&t=443s

See, I see the two as the same

DBZA absolutely nailed Vegeta as a character

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Considering the lessons of the first two demiurge arcs: "Allison has the will to destroy evil (Mottom's tree) when it appears in front of her" and "Allison needs to embrace every part of herself (especially her encyclopedic knowledge of Sailor Moon and K-dramas) to use her power responsibly," I'm going to guess this arc's lesson is "Allison isn't powerful enough to do everything herself, she needs to trust and work with her friends."

Because every time she's tried to go it alone this arc she's quickly needed bailing out (even her gang adventure at the very start foreshadowed this,) and "You cannot save her."

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

yeah I don't think Allison is going to Goku her way out of the problems she is going to face in the rest of this narrative despite the fact that she has the Most Important Person token lodged in her forehead. funny how that seems to be working out

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQAHQimuef4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm getting some real King Novik vibes from Zoss. Dead ghost kings have no business telling people what they can't do.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

I'm getting some real King Novik vibes from Zoss. Dead ghost kings have no business telling people what they can't do.

On the other hand, Allison learning to trust and rely on other people is a good lesson. A king implies a kingdom.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Operant, if you're reading this, I would be interested in knowing to what extent you personally believe in the philosophies your comic explores. While this may be a (kick rear end) comic, I read your works and the discussions had in this thread and some of them really speak to me sometimes. As a hobbyist woodworker, I do a lot of cutting, and I found myself thinking about Meti's sword manual and the phrase "Creation is an act of violence". I would love to hear your thoughts and how you came up with some of these ideas.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Royalty is a continuous bandsaw motion

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Potato Salad posted:

Royalty is a continuous bandsaw motion

edit: this is tempting me to pick up woodworking as a hobby.

Lights fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 4, 2020

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Rhaka posted:

I'd say there's a difference between being ganked by an Incubus/Juggernaut Star vs an angry lumberjack.

Picking fights or hanging out with top tier violent jackasses will have you die at some point, but you're an active participant of this whole shitshow. If you're just farming your potatoes and violence comes a-knockin' you die unless you are a violent jackass yourself.

Meti and Zoss have very little to fear from random violence, where Noodles McGee gets owned immediately by any passerby, as did the Very Wise Frog.

Carry Samura in your heart but carry a big stick.

This analysis is predicated on systemic change being impossible. Like the random violence and rapacious exploitation shown in the comic is clearly implied to be bad. Allison needs to break with the past and create something new, which is thematically reinforced by the beginning of the universe being division and Zoss’s symbol being a divided circle.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Super Waffle posted:

Operant, if you're reading this, I would be interested in knowing to what extent you personally believe in the philosophies your comic explores. While this may be a (kick rear end) comic, I read your works and the discussions had in this thread and some of them really speak to me sometimes. As a hobbyist woodworker, I do a lot of cutting, and I found myself thinking about Meti's sword manual and the phrase "Creation is an act of violence". I would love to hear your thoughts and how you came up with some of these ideas.

You may have heard the saying "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

can't make a chicken by prematurely breaking the egg

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

But can you make an egg by breaking the chicken?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Battery cages say yes.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
can this metaphor be somehow supercharged by the addition of black soldier fly larvae

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I appreciate that the King of Creation uses the correct pronouns.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
you can't break an egg without making a few eggs

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You can't egg on an omelette without making a few breaks.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I am, as always, of two minds here. From a storytelling perspective, I feel like the the people who understand violence the best are deeply unhappy about it, war is bad, the universe should de-escalate, the only way to beat the demiurges at their own game is not to play, etc etc. As a person reading a comic, however, I want our Furious Dumbass to explode the opposition with as much rainbow Kung Fu bullshit as possible while a sick soundtrack plays.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Related, I hope he puts out a simple text-only book that is all the writings from below the pages and/or the alt text, so long it's about the lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
can you make an egg from a few omelettes though