Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Except that hasnt happened.

sure it has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Votecount for Day 1

OFFICER LIGER (5): zzyzx, Voodoofly, Khris Kruel, OFFICER LIGER, LordNad
Amnistar (2): yuming, Varinn, OFFICER LIGER, OFFICER LIGER
LordNad (2): jivjov, The Ninth Layer
Khris Kruel (1): merk
Varinn (1): Jose Valasquez
Sandwolf (1): Amnistar
Deadbeat Dad (1): vivat virtute
CapnAndy (0): LordNad, LordNad
merk (0): Jose Valasquez, Jose Valasquez, Voodoofly, Voodoofly
zzyzx (0): The Ninth Layer, The Ninth Layer
The Ninth Layer (0): zzyzx, zzyzx
jivjov (0): LordNad, LordNad

Not Voting (10): 50 pounds of bread, CapnAndy, CCKeane, Deadbeat Dad, hambeet, Jamuraan, kumba, Sandwolf, Token Female, Tom Tucker

With 23 alive, it's 12 votes to execute. There is currently no deadline set.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

hambeet posted:

also: holy poo poo amnistar wtf happened to your avatar

Cpig happened.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

So, I'm gonna go with ##vote zzyzx

Here is why:

zzyzx posted:

Amni probably saw Steak say something mildly awkward and thought, "If I get a hit here, it'll be the next big mafia instagram moment and we'll all laugh and I'll be very popular."

But then he missed like a doofus, and probably had to play off the fact that he's kind of embarrassed by it. Just a...yes, a joke! I meant to do that all along, guys.

This is a manufactured reason not to vote for me that they made up...and it completely contradicts everything I've said so far about why I did shoot steak. almost as if zzyzx knows I'm not scum, and needs to create a reason not to vote for me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amnistar posted:

So, I'm gonna go with ##vote zzyzx

Here is why:

This is a manufactured reason not to vote for me that they made up...and it completely contradicts everything I've said so far about why I did shoot steak. almost as if zzyzx knows I'm not scum, and needs to create a reason not to vote for me.

What do you think of KK’s made up analysis?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

merk posted:

He called me stupid at the begining of it so I am not sure I can read it without bias.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Amnistar posted:

He called me stupid at the begining of it so I am not sure I can read it without bias.

Specifically, in Harry Potter, that level of negative play towards another play I read as a scum tell, trying to get people angry so they make mistakes, then KK flipped town.

The case is bad, Liger's vote is clearly joke (regardless of Liger's alignment) and latching on to that one as the problem is stupid.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Jamuraan posted:

Oh my fault, I don't know why I thought you were.

You must be just overly sensitive about your ability to soul read.

This is probably going to be my only post here today (Sunday), but I'm going to be real active on Monday. (weekdays are much easier for me).

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Amnistar posted:

Of course it contradicts what you've said so far; I think it's a made-up reason. If Steak had flipped scum, you absolutely would not have followed up with, "I just did it because it was funny, I didn't have any scum read on him." (You'd be getting familiar with the smug emojis instead.) That only came after yuming voted you.

Varinn asks why a townie would try to make excuses like that, and the answer is that they know they did something dumb.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Ignoring the hypothetical of how I would act if steak was scum, I don't beleive your thought process here is genuine. You think that I'm lying about why I shot, and that the reason I'm lying is because I'm embarrassed that I was wrong about steak being scum?

I rather think you wanted to not vote me, but didn't want to seem like a bandwagon vote so created a reason to not vote me that was original.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Amnistar posted:

Ignoring the hypothetical of how I would act if steak was scum, I don't beleive your thought process here is genuine. You think that I'm lying about why I shot, and that the reason I'm lying is because I'm embarrassed that I was wrong about steak being scum?

I rather think you wanted to not vote me, but didn't want to seem like a bandwagon vote so created a reason to not vote me that was original.

Bandwagon non-vote.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

zzyzx posted:

Of course it contradicts what you've said so far; I think it's a made-up reason. If Steak had flipped scum, you absolutely would not have followed up with, "I just did it because it was funny, I didn't have any scum read on him." (You'd be getting familiar with the smug emojis instead.) That only came after yuming voted you.

Varinn asks why a townie would try to make excuses like that, and the answer is that they know they did something dumb.

There is way too much mind reading and fortune telling in this post, you're tunneled too hard on Amni and locked in regardless of the truth.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

vivat virtute posted:

There is way too much mind reading and fortune telling in this post, you're tunneled too hard on Amni and locked in regardless of the truth.

Also, if Amni was scum, Steak would never have flipped scum -- so you're inventing impossible scenarios to make Amni look bad. I think this is a scumslip.

##vote zzyzx

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Amnistar posted:

I think that you're town, because day-vigs (and certainly day-vigs who shoot other townies on d1) usually are. I also think backpedaling into, "that's what I meant to do all along" after you get called out is an understandable reaction.

That said, if you get a hit on Steak, we all congratulate you while you explain what a great gut read it was; if you miss, we get to make fun of you. You're not upholding your end of the social contract here.

(And you followed it up with a vote on me, so you're batting zero so far. Do better.)

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Amnistar posted:

Give it a shot, I'd love your thoughts.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

##unvote

I was conflating zzyzx with some other posts about Amni. I hosed up, mea culpa.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Like Tokes won’t be around much today but much more active during the week.

Am I missing something on Liger? Everyone is saying he made an obvious joke post. I definitely didn’t read that “sort of suspect amni but need something more” as a joke.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

OFFICER LIGER posted:

It's almost reason enough for me to want to vote Amni. But I want more before I vote.

This post is the one I’m referring to.

On an unrelated note, I’m now fine voting amni day 1 just so I don’t have to see that avatar anymore

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

merk posted:

you sure are lying alot for page 10

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Also notice that merk hasn't once mentioned their read on officer liger

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Khris Kruel posted:

Also notice that merk hasn't once mentioned their read on officer liger

Their as in other peoples read or their as in nongender reference to merk’s read?

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Voodoofly posted:

Their as in other peoples read or their as in nongender reference to merk’s read?

nongender reference

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

The Ninth Layer posted:

merk says he's unavailable but then makes a post seven minutes later, highly suspicious.

I can’t tell if this is a joke but if this is serious it’s a pretty weak accusation

(Sup TNL long time. You still in LA?)

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Deadbeat Dad posted:

You kind of made it so he won't do it now because casing him immediately after and accusing him of doing this doesn't ring true. It's projection. He shot, he was wrong, really not much else you can do as a vig except go "welp, I hosed up!"

Like, in theory, if this exact scenario happened I agree that the vig should be looked at, but now it gives room for Amni to be like "hey, I didn't coast after my vig and played like this this and this" because you called him out for something he hasn't even been able to do and now he's very aware.

I've read this a few times and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

The vig should be looked at if he coasts and doesn't do much else. However, by voting for Amni, Varinn has made Amni aware of this, and it gives Amni "room" to participate in future game days and claim that he's not coasting. I think you're criticizing Varinn's case for this.

Wouldn't we all expect Amni to do that anyway?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

zzyzx posted:

I've read this a few times and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

The vig should be looked at if he coasts and doesn't do much else. However, by voting for Amni, Varinn has made Amni aware of this, and it gives Amni "room" to participate in future game days and claim that he's not coasting. I think you're criticizing Varinn's case for this.

Wouldn't we all expect Amni to do that anyway?

If you want to criticize Varinn's case for being premature, I get that. Varinn doesn't want Amni to coast into the sunset off of one shot; great, then Varinn should case him for that later, if it looks like that's what Amni is actually doing.

I just don't see the "now you've made him aware that he has to participate, and he has room to do it because you voted for him" bit.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Voodoofly posted:

This post is the one I’m referring to.

On an unrelated note, I’m now fine voting amni day 1 just so I don’t have to see that avatar anymore

That post was in regards to someone else mentioning they hated Amni's avatar. Liger's next post is the joke vote right after Varinn drops the second serious vote on Amni. The timing and situation is what is scummy in my eyes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

Like Tokes won’t be around much today but much more active during the week.

Am I missing something on Liger? Everyone is saying he made an obvious joke post. I definitely didn’t read that “sort of suspect amni but need something more” as a joke.

his avatar was what made me want to lynch him. i didn't say i scumread him. you're the one twisting my words.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

OFFICER LIGER posted:

his avatar was what made me want to lynch him. i didn't say i scumread him. you're the one twisting my words.

Dude you followed up a "I need to see more" serious post with a joke post that wasn't super funny and added a real vote to a growing launch - this is scummy behavior it is hard to argue that. I still think you are town despite that but at least acknowledge it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Oh damnit see I knew this last night but it got away from me because everyone keeps quoting it out of context to push Liger even the "need to see more" wasn't serious.

OK now I'm gonna find the people who quoted this out of context opportunistically.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Voodoofly posted:

##unvote

##vote officer liver

The “I’m almost ready to vote but need more” post then voting amni right after stuck out skimming on my phone.

Also I’m the last person to ever clear someone from a role but that said daykill scum or sk on day 1 s pretty far fetched. I’m not voting amni today except to avoid a no lynch

Here's who I was thinking - Voodoo go read it back in context.

I don't think Voodoo is scum here he straight up admits he's skimming.

LordNad here is really leaning in:

LordNad posted:

You joke voted a guy with 2 serious votes and then unvoted when called out on it.

Seems to me you're trying to build momentum in the guise of "it's a joke vote".

##vote Officer Liger

This doesn't seem genuine to me, where have joke votes ever built momentum? If you believe this what is Liger's best-case scenario, that he sticks his neck out as the third vote which causes a tidal wave of momentum, but has his cake and eats it too by making it a joke vote? What does he do when the tidal wave comes in, unvote his joke vote? Leave it on and look scummy as hell? There's no "good" scenario here there's no reason for him to be pushing a 2-vote candidate with a joke vote expecting results and assigning that motivation to him seems absurd. Early in day 1 joke-voting someone who has two votes, who cares?

It's the momentum onto HIM that stands out to me. LordNad had already raised my hackles with this post:

LordNad posted:

A scum day kill is an incredibly powerful tool. As mentioned before it could be used in LYLO to end the game earlier for them. By using it this early, he's brought massive attention on himself day 1 for no real benefit. I can't imagine scum letting a confirmed vig coast to the end game. He still has to vote and participate or he'd get lunched himself.

Personally, popping off day 1 is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from a Town Vig with that kind of power.

Where I accused him of basically contributing to a discussion (which I found unproductive), keeping it going, while adding nothing of real value. I think the Liger vote is partially in response to being called on that, but his vote is also mere statements of fact. My gut tells me LordNad is avoiding stating opinions of things and relying on facts to explain themselves because facts don't lie, even if they don't say what his vote implies they do.

His actual vote looks to split the difference - stating facts, then stating his "opinion" that this is an attempt to build momentum, which I believe is a flawed conclusion. LordNad gets pushed back and I feel like backed into it he feels the need to double down.

LordNad posted:

I'm voting because what you did was scummy and your explanation afterwards doesn't feel right. Where did I agree with your prior points of view?

Continued engagement but the "explanation afterwards doesn't feel right" - what about it doesn't feel right? LordNad seems to hold the views that it was a joke vote and was some sort of scheme to build momentum simultaneously. I think these two ideas are, in most cases I can think of, exclusionary.

LordNad posted:

So you admit you voted for a guy with 2 serious votes who you thought was town

This is what really annoys me though. Again LordNad is simply stating facts, but framing it as if it is an "admission". This framing is very suspicious to me - Liger has already said it was a joke vote, we know the other two votes are serious ones, Liger has stated he feels Amni was town, none of these facts are in contention. Yet here we have LordNad presenting them as if it is some sort of "admission". It feeds into LordNad's "bring up facts to continue conversations but add little" and what I feel is a hard-to-draw conclusion based on those facts which he does and then presents as a done deal or some "admission" of Liger's.

LordNad posted:

Plus they threw snowballs at Santa. Who tf does that.

He jokes about wanting to vote Amni for his avatar. If it's a joke vote, why not just vote?

4 posts later, 12 minutes after Varinn drops the 2nd serious vote on Amni, he comes in with his joke vote. The timing is very suspicious to me, and it is a vote of opportunity disguised as a joke. I don't know Liger but I sure as hell am not getting a townie vibe from him.

Here LordNad gets a little bit out of the hole by trying to make an argument here and ascribe motive, which is good, but the argument itself seems silly compared to the wording he's used before (mostly "admission"). Liger is joking about Amni's avatar and overall being worthless but doesn't actually vote Amni. LordNad asks "why not just vote" which is a question I still don't understand. Why do anything when you're joking around? If your point is that he's scummy for still joke-voting when people are getting serious that's fine, but it's not LordNad's point, he's saying that Liger planted this idea then waited 12 minutes to do the actual vote because he wanted a third vote for more momentum and was taking advantage of the opportunity which is, to me, absurd. The Machiavellian picture that unfolds of scum, seeing 1 vote on Amni, and tenting their fingers and saying "ah yes! I will vote for Amni as a JOKE VOTE to push the lunch! But I can't just do it... I must set up my joke vote, which is actually a real vote to push the lunch, but making a FIRST post wherein I say I might vote him, then when the second vote happens, I sweep in with my third vote, and the lunch will be on autopilot from there! Now to play the waiting game..." it's nonsense. LordNad is pushing it hard and vaccilating between stating facts "you voted for someone you thought was town" which are not in disagreement with absurd doubling-down that this is somehow scummy (it ain't).

The real voter of opportunity today is not Liger it is LordNad.

##vote LordNad

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, guess I should probably ##unvote since my vote was...well, not really a joke, but done in direct response to the vote against me which doesn't exist any more

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

Tom Tucker posted:

Here's who I was thinking - Voodoo go read it back in context.

I don't think Voodoo is scum here he straight up admits he's skimming.

LordNad here is really leaning in:

This doesn't seem genuine to me, where have joke votes ever built momentum? If you believe this what is Liger's best-case scenario, that he sticks his neck out as the third vote which causes a tidal wave of momentum, but has his cake and eats it too by making it a joke vote? What does he do when the tidal wave comes in, unvote his joke vote? Leave it on and look scummy as hell? There's no "good" scenario here there's no reason for him to be pushing a 2-vote candidate with a joke vote expecting results and assigning that motivation to him seems absurd. Early in day 1 joke-voting someone who has two votes, who cares?

It's the momentum onto HIM that stands out to me. LordNad had already raised my hackles with this post:

Dropping a vote on someone who already has serious votes builds momentum. Why is it absurd to assume Liger wanted that?

Tom Tucker posted:

Where I accused him of basically contributing to a discussion (which I found unproductive), keeping it going, while adding nothing of real value. I think the Liger vote is partially in response to being called on that, but his vote is also mere statements of fact. My gut tells me LordNad is avoiding stating opinions of things and relying on facts to explain themselves because facts don't lie, even if they don't say what his vote implies they do.

His actual vote looks to split the difference - stating facts, then stating his "opinion" that this is an attempt to build momentum, which I believe is a flawed conclusion. LordNad gets pushed back and I feel like backed into it he feels the need to double down.

That statement was to Varinn because I don't agree with his reasoning. It has nothing to do with my opinion that Liger wanted to build momentum.

Tom Tucker posted:

Continued engagement but the "explanation afterwards doesn't feel right" - what about it doesn't feel right? LordNad seems to hold the views that it was a joke vote and was some sort of scheme to build momentum simultaneously. I think these two ideas are, in most cases I can think of, exclusionary.
It doesn't feel right because Liger stated he has a town read on Amni. Why are these two things mutually exclusive? If momentum had continued to build and Amni flipped town, on later analysis Liger could claim "it was just a joke".

Tom Tucker posted:

This is what really annoys me though. Again LordNad is simply stating facts, but framing it as if it is an "admission". This framing is very suspicious to me - Liger has already said it was a joke vote, we know the other two votes are serious ones, Liger has stated he feels Amni was town, none of these facts are in contention. Yet here we have LordNad presenting them as if it is some sort of "admission". It feeds into LordNad's "bring up facts to continue conversations but add little" and what I feel is a hard-to-draw conclusion based on those facts which he does and then presents as a done deal or some "admission" of Liger's.
It is an admission. He clearly states he thinks Amni is town and yet he still voted for him[/]. The conclusion is not hard to draw. He could have joke voted Amni earlier than he did in the post where he literally said he wanted to vote him for his avatar. He waited until after Amni got a second serious vote. Why? To keep building momentum imo.

Tom Tucker posted:

Here LordNad gets a little bit out of the hole by trying to make an argument here and ascribe motive, which is good, but the argument itself seems silly compared to the wording he's used before (mostly "admission"). Liger is joking about Amni's avatar and overall being worthless but doesn't actually vote Amni. LordNad asks "why not just vote" which is a question I still don't understand. Why do anything when you're joking around? If your point is that he's scummy for still joke-voting when people are getting serious that's fine, but it's not LordNad's point, he's saying that Liger planted this idea then waited 12 minutes to do the actual vote because he wanted a third vote for more momentum and was taking advantage of the opportunity which is, to me, absurd. The Machiavellian picture that unfolds of scum, seeing 1 vote on Amni, and tenting their fingers and saying "ah yes! I will vote for Amni as a JOKE VOTE to push the lunch! But I can't just do it... I must set up my joke vote, which is actually a real vote to push the lunch, but making a FIRST post wherein I say I [i]might vote him, then when the second vote happens, I sweep in with my third vote, and the lunch will be on autopilot from there! Now to play the waiting game..." it's nonsense. LordNad is pushing it hard and vaccilating between stating facts "you voted for someone you thought was town" which are not in disagreement with absurd doubling-down that this is somehow scummy (it ain't).

I never said or implied Liger planted the idea for a joke vote. I referenced Liger's post about Amni's avatar and asked "Why not just vote" as in "why not just vote then". My point is literally that he joke voted someone with serious votes already and I thought it was pretty clear about that. You're the one ascribing motivations to me that don't exist. Liger could have joke voted earlier than Varinn and it wouldn't have registered as scummy to me.

Tom Tucker posted:

Dude you followed up a "I need to see more" serious post with a joke post that wasn't super funny and added a real vote to a growing launch - this is scummy behavior it is hard to argue that. I still think you are town despite that but at least acknowledge it.
Dude you even acknowledge it's scummy behavior. Maybe you know how Liger plays to think he is town. I don't. I see scummy behavior, I call it out and I vote it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Doing some reading back, and yeah...Liger building momentum on someone like that seems a bit sus....tbh I don't know you well enough to definitely trust my own reads, but when they are already lining up with the majority...

##vote OFFICER LIGER

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

CapnAndy posted:

If there’s anything you and I and like 80% of this game should know right now it’s that the reverse is also true and amni does things scum would do while town.
:sparkles:

I just remember myself having a scum daykill in Grandi's recent game. It was awkward trying to use it in thread and sound town.

If I were to get one again, I see the benefit in just being silly with it rather than have to try and fake content around it later.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

jivjov posted:

Doing some reading back, and yeah...Liger building momentum on someone like that seems a bit sus....tbh I don't know you well enough to definitely trust my own reads, but when they are already lining up with the majority...

##vote OFFICER LIGER

I would vote this post if it were not their first game.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jivjov posted:

##vote OFFICER LIGER

How did you win survivor

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Amnistar posted:

I would vote this post if it were not their first game.
Same, but for this post

jivjov posted:

Oh, guess I should probably ##unvote since my vote was...well, not really a joke, but done in direct response to the vote against me which doesn't exist any more
Maybe don't flat out admit that you're voting someone just because they're voting you? It is bad form.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OFFICER LIGER posted:

How did you win survivor

Being a challenge monster.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Give it a shot, I'd love your thoughts.

I can't understand the rationale of the case. How do you think that both:

1.) Liger wanted an easy vote on me that was part of the bandwagon.

and

2.) Liger specifically makes the vote stand out from the rest by making it "appear" like a joke vote.

These two concepts are mutuially exclusive. If Liger was scum that wanted me to be an easy cuddle, then he could have just said "yea, that." in some way, and be no more or less scummy than the other 5 or 6 people in thread saying that. By making it a joke vote, if it had been left on me and I had been cuddled, there is no way Liger isn't looked at. Sitting on a joke vote is something that is going to call attention to liger, not make them less suspicious.

Also, as an aside, OFFICER LIGER, your vote is on yourself because of formatting issues, might want to fix it.

I keep going back and forth on whether this makes KK town or scum, but my gut is saying scum, I'm just pretty sure it's because they were a dick in harry potter and then a dick in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CapnAndy posted:

Maybe don't flat out admit that you're voting someone just because they're voting you? It is bad form.

Duly noted