Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Food truck scene in Portland is top notch. Driving through Oregon up to Portland is billions of sheep in pretty nice looking countryside. The biggest contrast is that west of the Cascades, everything stays green year-round. Washington drivers don't know they can turn on their headlights when its raining. Oregon drivers keep right except to pass, mostly, which is just such an incredibly nice thing that it makes up for basically every other shortcoming of the state. In Oregon (and I think also Washington) there's a Growler culture where basically anywhere that sells booze, you can bring a jug and pay to have it filled up and it's totally OK to walk home with it and you won't get arrested for open container or whatever. The colombia river valley is spectacular. The mountains are volcanoes, like they are in northern california but very unlike the sierra. East of the cascades it might as well be idaho, in terms of both scenery and politics.

The coast is temperate rainforest and frigid water and rocks and kelp. There's a strong clamming thing, like people fuckin' love to drive to the coast and go dig clams. They're all doomed from the tsunami that is going to destroy every human habitation along the entire coast some time very soon now, maybe, unless it doesn't.

Everyone in Portland thinks real estate is insane and commutes have become nightmarish, but that's because they've got no goddamn idea how good they had it before. For them, a horrible commute is 25 minutes on the (incredibly clean and nice) public transit system. The very idea of living outside the borders of the city of Portland will get you raised eyebrows, like, what, then you might have to drive THIRTY MINUTES to get to work??? Also a $750k house there is huge. If you want to actually live in one of the amazing flat walkable bikeable beautiful neighborhoods of Portland Proper, you might have to pay similar house prices to like... some of the shittier parts of the East Bay or maybe Morgan Hill or something.

Look at this poo poo, here's just a totally random house I picked in a nice neighborhood:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4077-NE-11th-Ave-Portland-OR-97212/53919835_zpid/
3/2, 2700 square feet (all these houses have basements), corner lot, just restored/refurbed, $675k.

Or you can live just across the river in Washington State, thereby avoiding both sales taxes (shop in Oregon) and income taxes (live in Washington). Everyone hates you for doing that but nobody's going to stop you. You're a california transplant anyway, they're already going to politely hate you for driving up real estate prices and poo poo anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Leperflesh posted:

You're a california transplant anyway, they're already going to politely hate you for driving up real estate prices and poo poo anyway.

Doing this in Oregon and Washington is passe, the cool thing to do now is do it in Boise, ID.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
almost all of norcal will flee north to WA and OR as things get worse, climate change & drought wise in CA. might as well do it sooner than later.

quote:

The weather is miserable about 6 months out of the year, but summer is super beautiful with long sunny days

what does miserable mean exactly

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Depends on where you've lived and what you are used to. If you've only really lived in sunny CA and you shack up in a part of the country that's cloudy for significant portions of the year you might discover you are susceptible to seasonal affective disorder. The PNW also actually experiences a winter in contrast to Sacramento.

Not that these things will make you miserable but it will be a change! Dress for the weather and get a depression lamp if you start to feeling weirdly depressed and you don't know why. Hell you may even enjoy the cold. After years in the worst winter of the lower 48 I kind of miss it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bizarro Watt posted:

Doing this in Oregon and Washington is passe, the cool thing to do now is do it in Boise, ID.

Yeah but there are soooo many more cults in Idaho, and that whole thing where you're expected to where both a surgical mask and a white hood when you go outside is tough to adjust to.

(In fairness to Boise, I'm really talking more about Coeur d'Alene. I've only driven through Boise, but man, CdA can eat some dicks. How such a beautiful place managed to get inhabited by such a bunch of over-sized sentient sphincters is beyond me.)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I heard the pacific northwest is a haven for white supremacists. Oregon only let white people live there back in the day, no blacks allowed. Portland is the whitest city in America? Oregon didn't ratify the 15th amendment until 58, didn't ratify the 14th until 78. The PNW is where a lot of the crazy neo-nazis want to create their white ethnostate and train their "militias".

Good coffee, though.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

droll posted:

I heard the pacific northwest is a haven for white supremacists. Oregon only let white people live there back in the day, no blacks allowed. Portland is the whitest city in America? Oregon didn't ratify the 15th amendment until 58, didn't ratify the 14th until 78. The PNW is where a lot of the crazy neo-nazis want to create their white ethnostate and train their "militias".

Good coffee, though.

My dad used to live in a tiny town in Northern Idaho along the Clearwater River and that whole area felt as foreign to me as any foreign country I’ve been to. It’s the sort of place where you’ll hear people casually dropping the N-word in a bar. Just outrageously beautiful though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Honestly my wife and I really like Portland and we would have moved there like six years ago if we weren't anchored to the bay area by our elderly parents.

The additional amount of rainy weather is more than offset by not having weeks of 90-100 degree weather all summer, and "summer" means may through November.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

droll posted:

Good coffee, though.

Portland's under-18 population is actually majority minority, so it's possible in like 30 or 40 years you might be able to be in the city for a full day or two without overhearing some unbelievably cringeworthy casual racism.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Papercut posted:

Portland's under-18 population is actually majority minority, so it's possible in like 30 or 40 years you might be able to be in the city for a full day or two without overhearing some unbelievably cringeworthy casual racism.

The three things I remember from a work trip to Portland about a year ago were that I saw a total of 5 black people the entire time I was there (3 of them appeared to be homeless), bartenders were both good at making drinks/helpful in giving recommendations on where to go next on my one-man bar hop, and rush hour traffic going north sucked about as bad as the Bay Area.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

DrSunshine posted:

Oh my god this is it, this is the most :ca: post.

excuse me but these are important questions :colbert:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Ammanas posted:

September starts a storm season where depending where you live you might have blackouts. There can be flooding because the leaves clog the storm drains. Sun rises after 7:30 and sets around 4:30 starting November, so depending on work schedule you hardly see the sun, and weather gets cold enough to freeze. It stays like that until usually Feb and mostly stays cold (below or around 50) until about April, with very long periods of light rain. It usually snows one or two days a year, and everything shuts down.

At least for me it took a toll after commuting in the cold darkness for years. I just really don't miss it.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Ammanas posted:

almost all of norcal will flee north to WA and OR as things get worse, climate change & drought wise in CA. might as well do it sooner than later.

Nor Cal is the part of CA that actually has a decent amount of water

as long as we nuke the almond farms lol :sad:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rah! posted:

While we do need to nuke the almonds, that isn't going to bring more rain to the brushlands and forests of NorCal.

Though nuking PG&E might help

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

While we do need to nuke the almonds, that isn't going to bring more rain to the brushlands and forests of NorCal.

yeah there wont be enough water, but at least there will be some, unlike so cal which is hosed after the legion diverts the colorado river

e: this is assuming nor cal has also shut down the water pipelines due to the almond wars

Rah! fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 4, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

no no no, we need to nuke the green lawns and 6 minute showers

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Rah! posted:

Don't be silly. We can compost them and grow chickpeas or some poo poo that feeds people. Sell it to your PMC friends by asking them why they don't love hummus.

Edit:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

no no no, we need to nuke the green lawns and 6 minute showers

We should get rid of lawns, though. Grow some cool succulents, Japanese maples, etc.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I'm moving to port angeles (currently in a nowhere liminal space of a rest stop in the middle of oregon because towing a trailer makes this already long trip even longer) which means it's fairly chudsylvania but despite that my friends never had any trouble finding doctors for trans care or have been hassled or assaulted (and also it's literally across the river from canada)

Meanwhile in blue rear end midtown Sacramento I got poo poo for being jewish, poo poo for being trans (including my last boss outing me to the entire office without my permission so I quit the job) and thrown out of the first doctors office I asked about hrt so, people suck in unpredictable ways

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

atelier morgan posted:

I'm moving to port angeles (currently in a nowhere liminal space of a rest stop in the middle of oregon because towing a trailer makes this already long trip even longer) which means it's fairly chudsylvania but despite that my friends never had any trouble finding doctors for trans care or have been hassled or assaulted (and also it's literally across the river from canada)

Meanwhile in blue rear end midtown Sacramento I got poo poo for being jewish, poo poo for being trans (including my last boss outing me to the entire office without my permission so I quit the job) and thrown out of the first doctors office I asked about hrt so, people suck in unpredictable ways

jesus dude did you sue this dickhead for hostile work environment? because that's the very hostile.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

jesus dude did you sue this dickhead for hostile work environment? because that's the very hostile.

No, I'm poor. Hiring a lawyer for work related issues runs into the Samuel Vimes Boot Theory of poverty

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

atelier morgan posted:

No, I'm poor. Hiring a lawyer for work related issues runs into the Samuel Vimes Boot Theory of poverty

I thought most law offices that handle hostile work environment basically do them free consultation because it's usually pretty easy to establish, "yes, this was hostile" and the payouts for them make it worthwhile.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

The Glumslinger posted:

NorCal will simply drain the Eel to power the technotyranny of Gavbot 5000.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

HelloSailorSign posted:

I thought most law offices that handle hostile work environment basically do them free consultation because it's usually pretty easy to establish, "yes, this was hostile" and the payouts for them make it worthwhile.

hard to convince a judge a supervisor correctly gendering you while presenting an award is hostile

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
describing mild, normal winters as nightmarish is lol. north dakota has awful climate
the pnw is just weather

Rah! posted:

the delta will be completely drained for socal and ag within a couple of decades friend
love them tunnels gotta water the desert

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

atelier morgan posted:

hard to convince a judge a supervisor correctly gendering you while presenting an award is hostile

I'm sorry youve had to deal with that. That's even more hosed. Getting acknowledged for doing good while a jackass insults you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ammanas posted:

describing mild, normal winters as nightmarish is lol. north dakota has awful climate
the pnw is just weather

the delta will be completely drained for socal and ag within a couple of decades friend
love them tunnels gotta water the desert

Have you met Californians? We get incredibly upset when the weather isn't 70 and sunny. 50 may as well be a blizzard in Antarctica.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

Have you met Californians? We get incredibly upset when the weather isn't 70 and sunny. 50 may as well be a blizzard in Antarctica.

65 and foggy.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Dirk the Average posted:

i mean, who doesn't get upset when the weather isn't perfect?

personally i like when it's cooler here in southern california. we had some late april snow fall in the mountains, i didn't have to run my fan all fuckin month. real chill hehehe

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Yes extreme density and extensive, widely-used transit was the downfall of South Korea. Truly a terrible tragedy.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Yes extreme density and extensive, widely-used transit was the downfall of South Korea. Truly a terrible tragedy.

Yes, but have you considered blaming anything but the lack of social services and UHC?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

For years the white, upper middle class nexdoor.com crowd have used the specter of gentrification as an argument against stuff like building parks and adding bike lanes in my area. They will not flinch at using corona to block every new bus route and apartment building.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

by whom? certainly not the people in charge of creating it

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CA is suing Uber and Lyft for misclassifying employees

https://twitter.com/agbecerra/status/1257728187032727552?s=21

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

FCKGW posted:

CA is suing Uber and Lyft for misclassifying employees

https://twitter.com/agbecerra/status/1257728187032727552?s=21

good. gently caress em up

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Xavier Becerra also threatened ICANN to not sell the .org registry to PE vultures. They ended up not going through with it

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

good. gently caress em up

They waited for an absolute gold time to strike: gig economy workers getting shut out of unemployment and healthcare with the backdrop of a epidemic. The fact they got a one time exception to get assistance may hurt their case a bit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Man, I hope they loving nail em on this.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/cbrewsayso/status/1256422547966398469?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

They were too lazy to walk higher up the hill and get the nicer city view smdh