Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

This idea of the new soviet man as happy queer person has been in my head all day btw, I don't think it's remotely achievable or would even be a good development but there's definitely a real something there. Almost like leaning into how capitalism destroys family and so accidently does also destroy gender normativity and just being like 'look what you've wrought' it's a compelling idea to me.

I don't know, I think it might be more possible than you'd think, the normalization of homosexuality has caused absolutely horrific damage to the entire concept of normative sexual and gender performance. And yes there's a lot of pushback, but it wasn't so long ago that there wasn't so much pushback as absolute domination of the normative concepts and everything else had to be done in secret.

When the weirdo moralists were asking "what next if we legalize gay marriage, it'll never stop" were 100% right, I think. I think a lot of people and particularly among younger generations who haven't grown up with as much conditioning bullshit, alot of people are asking what the loving point is? Why do you need to be constantly freaking out about whether something is gay or effeminate or whatever the gently caress else? Why do we bother with it? Is it not just all so much loving stress?

Moreover I think a lot of social atomization is kinda tied up in that, I don't think it's a coincidence that the far right is popular among miserable, virulently homophobic and misogynist shut-ins. There is a mutual vulnerability that is found among queer communities and also, I think, among anyone who is at least somewhat nonconformist in that area. And I also think there's often a good culture of mutual support there, whereas the far right lot mostly just miserywank each other to death about it because having feelings and sharing them in an environment of mutual vulnerability with others is gay.

I don't think it's an accident that a lot of radically progressive spaces are also left leaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
just going to leave this here from the political cartoons thread

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
FFS, boomers are just being asked to only go shopping once a week and maintain a respectful distance away from others, no need to be so dramatic about it. They were happy enough to let us wander home from school aged 8 and then sit in front of the TV alone for hours till they got home, why are they so incapable of doing it themselves.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Angepain posted:

just going to leave this here from the political cartoons thread

My eyes instinctively searched in vain for the big White DEBT on the ball.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

learnincurve posted:

FFS, boomers are just being asked to only go shopping once a week and maintain a respectful distance away from others, no need to be so dramatic about it. They were happy enough to let us wander home from school aged 8 and then sit in front of the TV alone for hours till they got home, why are they so incapable of doing it themselves.

Hm well in my local "covid-care" groups a lot of the shopping for groceries, fetching meds and checking up on 'the quiet generation' and others who have to stay home is being done by boomers as many of the younger people have their own families to look after so shopping only once a week isn't really an option.

(Disclosure: very late boomer/early x-er. I'm keeping an eye on two neighbours in their 80s which involves occasional extra shopping and my mum who lives 8 miles out of town in splendid isolation and up a steep hill is getting groceries thanks to a similar age boomer with a car otherwise known as my sister.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sarah Vine decided to own her haters by posting a photo of (one of 20) her (& presumably her husbands?) bookshelves

https://twitter.com/WestminsterWAG/status/1257044387739172865?s=20

Note the David Irving & The Bell Curve. Very normal books for a member of cabinet to be proudly showing off, but it's Labour that has the racism problem.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

forkboy84 posted:

Sarah Vine decided to own her haters by posting a photo of (one of 20) her (& presumably her husbands?) bookshelves

Note the David Irving & The Bell Curve. Very normal books for a member of cabinet to be proudly showing off, but it's Labour that has the racism problem.

Can't help but notice The Strange Death of Europe too.

Edit: This is the bookshelf of an absolute brainlet with profound media poisoning. The person who would boast of this bookshelf legit doesn't have a soul.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 4, 2020

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Vitamin P posted:

And also "How Michael Gove Saves The World"

https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/1257084214371135492

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Vitamin P posted:

Ayn Rand, but of course

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

learnincurve posted:

If you want a laugh then Andrew Neil has started mildly criticising the government on twitter and all the people with the Union Jack/George cross in their names/pictures are melting down.

https://twitter.com/afneil

lol I ended up on boomer twitter and this is certainly a new spin on "the last labour government"

https://twitter.com/rodbishop15/status/1256957798627315712?s=20

the replies are also hilarious, just old people going "I remember when I had the Asian flu, it was nineteen dickety two and I was wearing an onion on my belt, as was the style at the time"

my favourite one is this though

https://twitter.com/RonPoole13/status/1256984142329380864?s=20

what question?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Isomermaid posted:

Ayn Rand, but of course

The Strange Death of Europe is Douglas Murray, he's an extremely careful writer but I would bet my life he's legit an actual nazi at heart.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vitamin P posted:

The Strange Death of Europe is Douglas Murray, he's an extremely careful writer but I would bet my life he's legit an actual nazi at heart.

Haaaaa of course they have that ball bag's lovely book.

And yeah, of course they have Rand, at this point as much as it is both boring and sociopathic it's the book of choice for conservatives in this hellworld.

My personal fave is the small Vince Cable book shamefully in the bottom right, almost obscured.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Vitamin P posted:

Oh yeah, no, I mean, Atlas Shrugged is on there too. Not the dodgiest thing on the shelf it appears, but still powerfully poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't imagine how unbelievably boring you'd have to be to have that many lovely books.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

Oh yeah, no, I mean, Atlas Shrugged is on there too. Not the dodgiest thing on the shelf it appears, but still powerfully poo poo.

That book gave me a deep desire to work for the railway which I did end up doing for several years.

I get the impression I missed the whole point of the book.

Ed: I never read the speech bit.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That book gave me a deep desire to work for the railway which I did end up doing for several years.

I get the impression I missed the whole point of the book.

Ed: I never read the speech bit.

This is like finding out that someone got into interior design and furniture upholstery after watching silence of the lambs.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Payndz posted:

DId you study geography at Keele university in the late 80s, perchance?

No, so there's possibly more than one of them. I do, however, work in the same office as Charles Manson.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-sage-dominic-cummings-david-king-a9496546.html

quote:

Top scientists set up ‘shadow’ SAGE committee to advise government amid concerns over political interference
Former UK chief scientist assembles independent group of experts

Top scientists are setting up a shadow version of the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), amid concerns about “dangerous” political interference in advice to the government.

Sir David King, a former government chief scientific adviser, has assembled a group of independent experts to look at how the UK could work its way out of the coronavirus lockdown.

He said the 12-strong committee had been created “in response to concerns over the lack of transparency” from Sage.

The body, which will hold its first press conference on Monday, will focus on seven key points, including how testing and tracing can work, and the future of social distancing.

etc.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Scientists don't necessarily actually know how to run a country though do they to be fair.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Total Meatlove posted:

This is like finding out that someone got into interior design and furniture upholstery after watching silence of the lambs.

I was just considering this in the light of some of the things that Corbyn has been done over for. We look at things through our own lens and can miss other interpretations. Eg Corbyn's "mis-steps" seem to involve his anti-capitalist lens (eg 'the foreword to the 1920s book' and 'the mural') and other interpretations just don't (or didn't) occur to him. I read that book through a 'woman does good in a man's world involving engineering' lens.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Scientists don't necessarily actually know how to run a country though do they to be fair.

Maybe not, but neither can the tories.

At least they might give scientific advice direct and not have it filtered through Cummings. Also, they're going to make all the data and models etc public so other scientists can put their 2p in.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Spoke to my wife's friend yesterday. She works for a British medical device company. They were being contracted by the gov to design a ventilator which could be made rapidly and efficiently in response to coronavirus, despite not having made ventilators before...

The contract got cancelled this week, apparently because they've decided "they don't need loads of ventilators anymore".

Just utterly shambolic.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

Spoke to my wife's friend yesterday. She works for a British medical device company. They were being contracted by the gov to design a ventilator which could be made rapidly and efficiently in response to coronavirus, despite not having made ventilators before...

The contract got cancelled this week, apparently because they've decided "they don't need loads of ventilators anymore".

Just utterly shambolic.

I don't suppose they gave any hints as to why they thought they needed so many and now don't?

Same like they're going to mothball the Nightingale Hospital because it had no admissions this week and only 35 max before that. How are they getting their figures so wrong? Or was it really because they couldn't get the staff?
I was wondering last night if they could somehow repurpose it for the many hundreds of people who have lost their jobs in hospitality etc let alone the existing homeless and now living on the streets in London - not ideal but better than nothing. Wasn't that another government promise? Get all the homeless off the streets by April 1st or something like that?

Then there are the 600000 people who volunteered to help the NHS most of whom haven't been 'called up'.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't suppose they gave any hints as to why they thought they needed so many and now don't?

Nothing solid, just supposition. Somebody said that UK hospitals are only actually running at 60% capacity used at the moment? Also I figure if they're not using Nightingale then that's all tied into the same thing. Who actually knows if that's because it's not needed or because they can't get the staff?

That said, somebody on the zoom call did say their brother (or something) is a doctor in training, had been rushed through to work with patients but that's all been cancelled now?

I dunno, very patchy info tbh.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

WhatEvil posted:

Nothing solid, just supposition. Somebody said that UK hospitals are only actually running at 60% capacity used at the moment? Also I figure if they're not using Nightingale then that's all tied into the same thing. Who actually knows if that's because it's not needed or because they can't get the staff?

That said, somebody on the zoom call did say their brother (or something) is a doctor in training, had been rushed through to work with patients but that's all been cancelled now?

I dunno, very patchy info tbh.

Can only supply anecdotal info from my partner's hospital - they cancelled all elective and outpatients, and they have two empty wards for Covid-19 surge that aren't getting used. They never hit capacity in ITU. Drop in A&E admissions and electives has left the rest of the hospital relatively quiet.

Lots of their covid admissions are from care homes - less people from general population but they suspect a huge amount more just never left care homes, but died there.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

We have the highest death rates in Europe. The hospitals cannot be relatively empty because the virus isn’t as bad as predicated. There is only one possible answer: the government is letting a lot of people die without treatment in order to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed.

The Conservative government is murdering thousands of people.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Well at least the multi-part documentary series looking at tge uk response to the coronavirus is going to be riveting stuff

Riveting for those of us still alive to watch it, that is

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Zephirus posted:

Can only supply anecdotal info from my partner's hospital - they cancelled all elective and outpatients, and they have two empty wards for Covid-19 surge that aren't getting used. They never hit capacity in ITU. Drop in A&E admissions and electives has left the rest of the hospital relatively quiet.

Lots of their covid admissions are from care homes - less people from general population but they suspect a huge amount more just never left care homes, but died there.

That makes me so sad and just furious. I dread to think what's going to happen if they end lockdown and all of a sudden you have a general population that's mostly been able to avoid it so far suddenly exposed to it, and spreading it round to all corners.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Then there are the 600000 people who volunteered to help the NHS most of whom haven't been 'called up'.

I was "called up" from being a CFR to train in emergency medical dispatch for some reason. After a week of sitting in a lovely semi-furnished office unit, listening to CFRs spout poo poo for hours [oh my god CFRs are just the worst people] I got trained, and went off to do my bit and it turned out we were being brought in as whatever a scab is before they actually start scabbing? Like, working in ambulance control is poo poo anyway, since it's reading the same script over and over to people in grim situations and there's gargantuan consequences for failure and the money's crap and the hours are hideous, and as it turns out their existing staff are threatening industrial action because so much additional bullshit's being heaped on them in the name of "crisis measures", so they brought in a gaggle of happy dunderheads, delighted to be NHS HEROES YAAY CLAP FOR TEH NHS, to give themselves protection against potential strike action.

But hey, two of the people on the course were coughing continuously and one was absolutely pishing with sweat, so that's fun!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

You know how the two metre distancing rule is more important indoors than outdoors because of relative airflow and particle dispersion? Well...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52524344 posted:

Two metre distancing may be eased for work

Employers will not be required to maintain social distancing of two metres between workers under government proposals to reopen the UK's workplaces.

In a first draft of the government's strategy, seen by the BBC, employers are encouraged to do so where possible but where it's not, additional measures should be considered.

These should include additional hygiene procedures, physical screens and the use of protective equipment.

However, the section of the documents marked PPE is currently empty, apart from a promise that "more detail" will follow.

Union leaders have expressed concerns, saying few firms currently have this equipment and efforts to acquire it could see them competing with the NHS for scarce and essential supplies.

[Article continues]

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52524344

Looks like I'll be working from home for a while yet.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Comrade Fakename posted:

We have the highest death rates in Europe. The hospitals cannot be relatively empty because the virus isn’t as bad as predicated. There is only one possible answer: the government is letting a lot of people die without treatment in order to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed.

The Conservative government is murdering thousands of people.

STAY HOME

PROTECT THE NHS

that's been the advice all along though, right? if you catch it, isolate yourself til you're over it. call 111 if you really have to and they might ask if you've been to China or something. Didn't someone say they were shipping old people with the virus back to care homes instead of admitting people to hospital?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

I don't know, I think it might be more possible than you'd think, the normalization of homosexuality has caused absolutely horrific damage to the entire concept of normative sexual and gender performance. And yes there's a lot of pushback, but it wasn't so long ago that there wasn't so much pushback as absolute domination of the normative concepts and everything else had to be done in secret.

When the weirdo moralists were asking "what next if we legalize gay marriage, it'll never stop" were 100% right, I think. I think a lot of people and particularly among younger generations who haven't grown up with as much conditioning bullshit, alot of people are asking what the loving point is? Why do you need to be constantly freaking out about whether something is gay or effeminate or whatever the gently caress else? Why do we bother with it? Is it not just all so much loving stress?

Moreover I think a lot of social atomization is kinda tied up in that, I don't think it's a coincidence that the far right is popular among miserable, virulently homophobic and misogynist shut-ins. There is a mutual vulnerability that is found among queer communities and also, I think, among anyone who is at least somewhat nonconformist in that area. And I also think there's often a good culture of mutual support there, whereas the far right lot mostly just miserywank each other to death about it because having feelings and sharing them in an environment of mutual vulnerability with others is gay.

I don't think it's an accident that a lot of radically progressive spaces are also left leaning.

You're definitely on to something here - what most trans people manage to do hinges on mutual support networks (hence the joke that trans people are just sending the same $13.71 around Paypal indefinitely because we all need it but we're all immediately there to help others in the same boat). Another aspect I expect exists is that, once you've broken a social taboo as fundamental as being trans requires, you'll be of a disposition - whether through experience or inherently - to take a long hard look at everything else wrong in society and going "Hmmm wait, could we maybe do... better?" and being willing to write a far more strenuous prescription than the liberals do in answer to that.

Plus of course you won't find too many people who don't conform to being cishet on the right because they hate us and want us back in the closet or dead, which rather limits the appeal :v: It's highly telling, of course - the right say they support the family but the second that family is gay, suddenly they hate it, and they CERTAINLY don't want orphans or the like being raised by loving gay homes; they say they support the individual and that others, including the government, shouldn't have the power to oppress, but the second that individual says they're trans, they're ALL ABOUT the government getting involved.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS? :mad:

Oh wait no, front and centre

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

blunt posted:

You know how the two metre distancing rule is more important indoors than outdoors because of relative airflow and particle dispersion? Well...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52524344

Looks like I'll be working from home for a while yet.

It's OK, extensive surveillance will make sure the publiccompanies are kept safe!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/03/coronavirus-health-passports-for-uk-possible-in-months

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Ms Adequate posted:

Plus of course you won't find too many people who don't conform to being cishet on the right because they hate us and want us back in the closet or dead, which rather limits the appeal :v: It's highly telling, of course - the right say they support the family but the second that family is gay, suddenly they hate it, and they CERTAINLY don't want orphans or the like being raised by loving gay homes; they say they support the individual and that others, including the government, shouldn't have the power to oppress, but the second that individual says they're trans, they're ALL ABOUT the government getting involved.

I think this is a rare case where you can take the right wing at its word; they do support the family, but what they mean by The Family is the nucleus of capitalist social reproduction or of like, the rule of the father. It's all a bit loving Freudian.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/WestminsterWAG/status/1257074045805309956

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAMgT8LuZaw

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/misslucyp/status/1257234249075363841

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some utter oval office that I work with has pitched "if this app works the police should be out doing spot checks and fining people who haven't got it installed, and shops should be checking at the door and refusing to let people in if they don't have it"

What the gently caress is wrong with people

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

These volunteers include a company in Cumbria who produce COVID-19 test kits. They have had to furlough half their staff because the government declined their services. This isn't just mass murder on the part of the government, it's a cover up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some utter oval office that I work with has pitched "if this app works the police should be out doing spot checks and fining people who haven't got it installed, and shops should be checking at the door and refusing to let people in if they don't have it"

What the gently caress is wrong with people

Boots are delicious