Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Absolutely horrendous the way that woman was treated. Hounded by that disgusting oval office Tom Watson while she was going through chemo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

learnincurve posted:

My fash dad was shocked to the core when I said the Guardian was a Lib Dem rag, , but he couldn’t deny it after 10 seconds of actual thought. I think a lot of them just haven’t really read it since the Blair years and didn’t realise that it hasn’t changed.

New Labour occupied roughly the same space as the Lib Dems do now. It didn't have to change.

What pisses me off about centrism - or at least self-declared centrism - is that it looks at everything bad in society and says "but we shouldn't try something else". It doesn't even work in their interests - the best thing that could ever happen for centrist parties is a left wing experiment trying and failing.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i'm surprised people are trying to spin that excess hospitals and beds are a bad thing because government bad rather than it being a good thing because there wasn't as many deaths as we feared there could be.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jedit posted:

New Labour occupied roughly the same space as the Lib Dems do now. It didn't have to change.

What pisses me off about centrism - or at least self-declared centrism - is that it looks at everything bad in society and says "but we shouldn't try something else". It doesn't even work in their interests - the best thing that could ever happen for centrist parties is a left wing experiment trying and failing.

they know it'd work, that's why they don't want it to happen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so lansman is presumably going to run for gen sec after his shenanigans last time which should stop left vote splitting

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My 'Jewish/Israel book shelf section' is Michael Sandel's Liberalism and the Limits of Justice, Erving Goffman's The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life, Jeffrey Haas's The Assassination of Fred Hampton, Zack Parsons's My Tank Is Fight, Oliver Sacks's Uncle Tungsten, Irving Finkel's The Ark Before Noah, Theodor Adorno's Minima Moralia, and one of Roy Cohn's ranting law books that I saw in a charity shop.

Much to my shame, my bookshelf is organized mostly by topic and how recently I read them, rather than the presumed Jewishness of the author.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I always assumed that's how our version of the sandman worked, because the canonical version where he puts people to sleep by sprinkling sand in their eyes was obviously written by someone who has never been to the beach.

It's because you'd close your eyes if someone threw sand at them. That's what makes Dale Gribble such an effective fighter.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fun fact, the references to "The Jew" are only in the first third of the novel, because partway through writing it Dickens sold his house to a Jewish couple who told him to cut that poo poo out.

It's almost a textbook example of how to respond correctly when called out for writing something problematic.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I have a copy of Killing Hope on my shelf which would probably be enough to tar me with the Twitter antisemitism brush given some of the content of the late William Blum's anti-empire report newsletters.

Also several books by noted Wrong Jew Michael Rosen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is Rosen back on his feet do we know?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apparently Starmer asked Formby to resign as soon as he won the leadership:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1257268766473322496?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Is Rosen back on his feet do we know?

most recent tweet

https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1252227993805549572?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

well considering he presumably knew about the report he was probably trying to clean house before anyone found out about it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So that'd be why the report got leaked then.

Starmer must be furious that McNicol is now too toxic to get it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

So that'd be why the report got leaked then.

Starmer must be furious that McNicol is now too toxic to get it.

it was going to be ashworth's wife getting it but she's in the report doing loads of racism

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

drat. I was hoping there'd been something more recent.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

he didn't respond to that one but someone else posted it too

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257253822881247233?s=20

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257255500053385218?s=20

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257264473200566272?s=20

also apparently David Irving actually is bad after all, but only when he does the incredibly clever and not at all transparent poo poo stirring thing where you know everyone hates you so you say positive things about someone to taint them by association

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257270042519011328?s=20

it's ok to read his books and put them on your bookshelf like you're proud of them, but if he says he likes you then you're a mega Nazi

e: apparently pointing out that Michael Gove, a literal Tory minister who loves hanging, racism and plankton, is a bit right wing is scorched earth extremism

https://twitter.com/RabbiZvi/status/1257260651342442496?s=20

XMNN fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 4, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol at how badly its gone for starmer already at this rate i can't see making the next election

https://twitter.com/owenhatherley/status/1257273102058369026?s=20

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

Did you display them prominently in your living room and write articles about how the prosecutor for Nazi War crimes was unpatriotic? And is the most leftwing book you own "The Third Man" by Peter Mandelson?

I think the Guderian book was on the same shelf as The Communist Manifesto and From Hell. My bookshelves tend to have absolutely gently caress all order, but my record collection? That's alphabetical by artist and then chronological by release date of each album

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Belated happy may day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've got this on my bookcase it owns

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Belated happy may day.

I uh... don't remember that statue looking quite like that last I checked?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

boris johnson is saint of country. by going around porking all the women he is giving them all babies. babies are what are needed to get will to survive. safe from coronavirus. babies for everyone. we will all be saved

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

do you not see the blimp?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jose posted:

police knocked on my door yesterday because there have been complaints about a really strong smell of weed and of course no face masks or gloves. turned out to be someone i worked with in my first ever job when 14 years ago

I always forget this country still hasn't legalised personal possession of weed (nm. sale it's the Tories we're talking about).

It's such a weird contrast seeing ads for "medical" weed and grow shops on the street when I visit my parents in the Czech Republic.

Also they grew some in their garden despite being prime boomer age.

e: Check out my druglord fam [okay maybe let's not post photos]

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 4, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was wondering last night if they could somehow repurpose it for the many hundreds of people who have lost their jobs in hospitality etc let alone the existing homeless and now living on the streets in London - not ideal but better than nothing. Wasn't that another government promise? Get all the homeless off the streets by April 1st or something like that?

They absolutely haven't. I still pass homeless people on my way to ASDA.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

I always forget this country still hasn't legalised personal possession of weed (nm. sale it's the Tories we're talking about)

It's such a weird contrast seeing ads for "medical" weed and grow shops on the street when I visit my parents in the Czech Republic

Also they grew some in their garden despite being prime boomer age

You do know that boomers were in their late teens/20s when smoking dope, being nude at rock festivals etc was 'in'? Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, John & Yoko etc:

Boomers:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kimberleydadds/isle-of-wight-festival-in-the-60s-and-70s

Also, check out Woodstock.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

we're making communism sexy again

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jose posted:

lol at how badly its gone for starmer already at this rate i can't see making the next election

https://twitter.com/owenhatherley/status/1257273102058369026?s=20

tbh I don't trust Rayner either

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

These are always great.

But no one beats Hunter S Thompson.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

'Emu meatballs'

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Why do people like kale? It's vile!
I had a 'green smoothie' in Amsterdam composed of pretty much what that first person's smoothie is a few years ago and it made me violently sick.

I don't drink alcohol or do drugs, but Hunter S Thompson's sounds a deal more appetizing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I love the implication that Thompson apparently had -5 hours of sleep per day. Not 5 hours, -5.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Venomous posted:

'Emu meatballs'

I know, what a wanker

I wish I had the balls to just throw my hands up in the air and go full Hunter S. Thompson

also the money, to be fair, that's a lot of cocaine

Darth Walrus posted:

I love the implication that Thompson apparently had -5 hours of sleep per day. Not 5 hours, -5.

think you read it wrong? If he goes to bed at 8:20 AM and gets up at 3 PM that's six hours 40 minutes sleep

which isn't a lot, but to be fair, that's a lot of cocaine

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 4, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Angepain posted:

boris johnson is saint of country. by going around porking all the women he is giving them all babies. babies are what are needed to get will to survive. safe from coronavirus. babies for everyone. we will all be saved

I can only assume his ex wife used up all the strength from the other children to get through cancer after he abandoned her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

I know, what a wanker

I wish I had the balls to just throw my hands up in the air and go full Hunter S. Thompson

also the money, to be fair, that's a lot of cocaine

think you read it wrong? If he goes to bed at 8:20 AM and gets up at 3 PM that's six hours 40 minutes sleep

which isn't a lot, but to be fair, that's a lot of cocaine

Ah, PM, not AM.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

Much to my shame, my bookshelf is organized mostly by topic and how recently I read them, rather than the presumed Jewishness of the author.
I forgot Richard Feynman!

Do I have to separate practicing, secular, and assimilated Jewish authors as part of organizing my bookshelf to be an effective hateful leftist?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You do know that boomers were in their late teens/20s when smoking dope, being nude at rock festivals etc was 'in'? Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, John & Yoko etc:

Boomers:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kimberleydadds/isle-of-wight-festival-in-the-60s-and-70s

Also, check out Woodstock.
"Do as I say, not as I did" is the boomer leitmotif.

Along with "weed was safe in the 70s because it came from plants, but now it's 150% THC, which is why it must be kept illegal."

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ I thought it was "do what I say I did" (i.e., walk 80 miles in shoes made of nails to work 30 hours every day before personally fighting hitler on the beaches)

Barry Foster posted:

tbh I don't trust Rayner either
Does sorta look like she must have played a role in last week's stitch up (re the leak cover up investigation)

idk what game she's playing, it looks very bad for the left atm so I think she might be going turncoat

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 4, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Along with "weed was safe in the 70s because it came from plants, but now it's 150% THC, which is why it must be kept illegal."

lol I hear this one all the time from my never-smoked-dope father and used-to-smoke dope uncle

I'll give up my awesome modern space weed when you give up yer whiskey

Borrovan posted:

Does sorta look like she must have played a role in last week's stitch up (re the leak cover up investigation)

idk what game she's playing, it looks very bad for the left atm so I think she might be going turncoat

certainly my read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I refuse to believe that emu meatballs isn't satire.