Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/business/j-crew-bankruptcy-coronavirus.html

quote:

J. Crew, the mass-market clothing company whose preppy-with-a-twist products were worn by Michelle Obama and appeared at New York Fashion Week, filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday. It is the first major retailer to fall during the coronavirus pandemic, though other big industry names including Neiman Marcus and J.C. Penney are also struggling with the toll of mass shutdowns.

J. Crew was carrying a debt burden of $1.7 billion based on a leveraged buyout in 2011 by two private equity firms — TPG Capital and Leonard Green & Partners — even before the coronavirus brought clothing sales to a near-halt in the 182 stores, 140 Madewells and 170 outlets it was running as of early March. It had also struggled to adapt to changing consumer tastes.

So it died WITH covid-19 not from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol the body count from private equity leveraged buyouts and Soprano-style lootings continues

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Naming my private equity firm COVID-19

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
See you take 19 highly contagious diseases, label them 1-20 while skipping a random number, then let them into the wild. Everyone will be running around trying to find that 20th disease lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lol i am glad the local news is v happy about san francisco golf courses, that had been turned into parks/recreation space, can now be reopened for golfers again due to lifted corona restrictions.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

For a second I thought Ireland was actually sending relief aid, but no its just a large amount of irish citizens contributing to a gofundme

loving lol

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!
The corporate media is addicted to outliers and human interest stories to keep you distracted. All throughout March they kept on running pieces about miracle recoveries from taking plaquenil while ignoring entire ICU wards of patients where the drug didn't work.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

the average nfl career lasts 4 years lol

yeah i know but you can make more than most workers will in a lifetime in that short period.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

The corporate media is addicted to outliers and human interest stories to keep you distracted. All throughout March they kept on running pieces about miracle recoveries from taking plaquenil while ignoring entire ICU wards of patients where the drug didn't work.

Every drat time the local news here reports on infections and deaths, it's about 15 seconds, followed by a good minute of "but here's the good news, look at how many people have recovered," which is then followed by something else distracting.

In a way I sorta miss that palpable tension of the first week, because at least then it felt like people were taking it somewhat seriously.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

lol the body count from private equity leveraged buyouts and Soprano-style lootings continues

Sooner or later the private equity ponzi scheme will come crumbling down right?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

facetoucher cat posted:

J. Crew was carrying a debt burden of $1.7 billion based on a leveraged buyout in 2011 by two private equity firms

"Patient who died after having all his blood sucked out by leeches also tested positive for COVID-19 so it was deffo the pandemics fault"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

It's not dead (unless you are a shareholder, which I think was just some other private equity fund anyway), the creditors own it now and are going to keep it running.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

limaCAT posted:

Sooner or later the private equity ponzi scheme will come crumbling down right?

i mean eventually they will run out of businesses that are not amazon disney or walmart to buy and gut for profit so yeah?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

dew worm posted:

I see a lot of Boomers in N95’s, which is strange because they were suppose to be difficult to come by.

personally spoken to three rural boomers who’ve told me they heard on Fox News to go look in their garage / basement / shed for masks and found 3M N95 masks they’d purchased for project work or whatever

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

NofrikinfuN posted:

airlines should have been a national service like the post office decades ago

reminder that the republicans are trying to bankrupt the post office by making it have a hundred years worth of pensions so they can completely privatize it and crush mail carriers out of spite

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Iron Crowned posted:

There was no federal anything, it was all state and local action. Not to mention I'm sure at least a handful of business closed on their own accord because someone hasn't become a complete capitalist monster yet.

the entire entertainment business shut itself down within 24hrs of the nba deciding to do it. that was march 12th a week before california or new york. entertainment is how i pay my bills so i'm probably biased, but in my drug-addled headcanon the nba was our most effective federal crisis response team

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/morningmoneyben/status/1257286360337170433

quote:

We’ve had one bad GDP number and lots of really bad unemployment claims numbers (and will get another on Thursday). But the true ugly toll of the Covid-19 impact on the American economy will punch us all in the face on Friday morning at 8:30 a.m. when the government reports the April jobs numbers.

Estimates vary but most put the number of jobs lost somewhere around 22 million, an unprecedented figure representing around 14 percent of the entire American labor force. The jobless rate is expected to rise from 4.4 percent to somewhere between 16 and 22 percent, a staggering jump close the Great Depression high of 24.9 percent. Remember to look at the size of the labor force if the unemployment number seems lower than expected.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

number will still go up because the rich people have decided that the invisible hand shouldn’t be invisible anymore

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

pretty cool that the mass job losses from covid-19 is a uniquely american phenomenon

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Burn Zone posted:

personally spoken to three rural boomers who’ve told me they heard on Fox News to go look in their garage / basement / shed for masks and found 3M N95 masks they’d purchased for project work or whatever

Even my under 40 year old friends did this, anyone who wanted to do home remodeling themselves (which is a lot of them ) had n95s laying around

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Even my under 40 year old friends did this, anyone who wanted to do home remodeling themselves (which is a lot of them ) had n95s laying around

i don’t know anyone under the age of 40 who owns a home

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ChristsDickWorship posted:

the entire entertainment business shut itself down within 24hrs of the nba deciding to do it. that was march 12th a week before california or new york. entertainment is how i pay my bills so i'm probably biased, but in my drug-addled headcanon the nba was our most effective federal crisis response team

Basically.

What I'm looking forward to is in a month or two when the entertainment industry runs out of what they have in the can, especially since this was an Olympic year and no one really counter programs for that.

We're going to have a dead summer for entertainment and it's going to make the boomers loose their poo poo.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why’s the news only ever report sad stuff

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ChristsDickWorship posted:

I was convinced March madness was going to be a series of superspreader events and when the NBA shut down and college ball got cancelled instantly I had hope for like a week that we'd come out of this with fewer than 1m dead because obviously it was a huge deal and people would realize it

Woops

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Burn Zone posted:

i don’t know anyone under the age of 40 who owns a home

Try living in the Midwest

Also "own" means "has giant mortgage"

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

that owns

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

"The communist party could have prevented this"

:hmmyes:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1256985116863332353

1. Hate Group leader Tony Perkins article being tweeted out by white house.

2. Is that a pentagram?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1257273801127022592

I don't know when I'll feel safe getting on a plane again, lmao

Also, "easily canceled"

Well, I believe him. There's no way a CEO would lie and put people at risk in pursuit of profit, right?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

yeah but i can call myself a home owner, right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Why’s the news only ever report sad stuff

You never hear about local problems, but you can damned well be sure that you hear about it when a cop dies in Bumblefuck, LA, it's loving national news.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Time to reopen everything

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Iron Crowned posted:

Basically.

What I'm looking forward to is in a month or two when the entertainment industry runs out of what they have in the can, especially since this was an Olympic year and no one really counter programs for that.

We're going to have a dead summer for entertainment and it's going to make the boomers loose their poo poo.

iatse apparently put together their safety guidelines for returning to work, i'm interested to see them. venues and promoters can pretty easily scab their way through concerts and probably lower budget movies/tv stuff, but there aren't a lot of non-union folks that know how to operate a $20mil sports broadcast truck

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

reminder that the republicans are trying to bankrupt the post office by making it have a hundred years worth of pensions so they can completely privatize it and crush mail carriers out of spite

id love to hear what lenders have to say about that, because 90% of the mail i get is from loan offers and the remaining 10% is bills that for some reason are not paperless

i wonder how much more ups and fed ex will charge for shipping after the collapse

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

a.lo posted:

yeah but i can call myself a home owner, right?

Call yourself "takes a year of non-payment to get evicted instead of a week like filthy renters"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

Basically.

It sucks they cancelled the Olympics, they could have social distanced like 90% of the events

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

#gotem

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Iron Crowned posted:

Basically.

Its mind boggling that in the age of streaming people are going to go nuts if the next series of marvel movies aren't coming out

Like I have literal decades worth of stuff I can watch just on Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

pretty cool that the mass job losses from covid-19 is a uniquely american phenomenon

Spains GDP per capita is $20k lower than the US and they are getting UBI and we are getting a one time payment of $1200*

*maybe, if youre not too rich, too poor or an immigrant