Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Taerkar posted:

The only thing that surprises mr about that story is that we didn't see one sooner.

I'm not going to be surprised if there was a racial element too. In which case I really hope they bring hate crime charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Jarmak posted:

Have you ever traveled outside of America when you say things like this? I very distinctly remember the heavy-handed security measures against theft being a little bit of a culture shock when I lived in Italy. Germany was the same way every place I visited.

Shopping at the Italian version of Walmart was like going through airport security with all the access control and multiple guards.

As a German, I disagree. Maybe those pesky shopping guards are just hiding to well, but I rarely saw anyone like that in my life. There was a guard at my local REWE but only in the evening and I think that's mostly to have someone there in case some drunks start harassing customers.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Had there been a real upswell of Bernie support, the news would have absolutely tried to capitalize on it. Maybe not to the point of crowning him the front runner, but things such as making it a sport where Bernie is the big 'underdog' and it's some kind of fight for the 'real soul' of the Democratic party.

That really didn't happen.

What an absurd thing to say. Does winning the first three primaries not count as an upswell of support? He consistently had much better polling than any of the other candidates not-named Biden, but I don't remember Chris Matthews accusing Mayor Pete of wanting to murder him.

I just don't understand the parade of posters responding to complaints about the establishment with "well obviously they were going to prefer Bernie." Nobody is disputing that the establishment sucks; that's why we wanted Bernie to win, and that's why many of us won't unconditionally support the Democratic party!

[quote="Acebuckeye13" post="504593382"]
I think the actual primary schedule itself was unintentionally the biggest challenge to any candidate who wasn't Biden. It's been known for a long time that African-u time for the bounce to subside, or for other candidates to react and knock him down a peg.

And while I don't think that was deliberate, I expect to see the 2024 schedule set up to similarly favor the establishment candidate.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1257258214615367680

I "wonder" why the "president" speaks like an "Orz" in his "tweets"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I have to admit it took me a minute to realize “Concast” was a pun and not a typo.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

As a German, I disagree. Maybe those pesky shopping guards are just hiding to well, but I rarely saw anyone like that in my life. There was a guard at my local REWE but only in the evening and I think that's mostly to have someone there in case some drunks start harassing customers.

I didn't spend a ton of time in Germany so my experiences may not be typical but there was literally a security guard and access control turnstiles on the mall bathroom when I visited Munich.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fritz the Horse posted:

I'm not going to be surprised if there was a racial element too. In which case I really hope they bring hate crime charges.

Are they harsher than murder charges?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

sassassin posted:

Are they harsher than murder charges?

They tack on and make crimes more severe, although this is 1st degree murder so I can’t imagine how much more hosed over they can get.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1257258214615367680

I "wonder" why the "president" speaks like an "Orz" in his "tweets"

USPOL Spring: dumped them nicely,

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Another sign of the apocalypse...

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1257311089127088130

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have to admit it took me a minute to realize “Concast” was a pun and not a typo.
He started doing it last week and I thought the same thing, but then he did it in multiple tweets and I realized it was deliberate

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/sydneyp1234/status/1257110154740477955?s=19

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

zenguitarman posted:

Well I guess between the global pandemic, the next great depression, and the invasive murder hornets, we got that going for us

Has anyone seen Ted Cruz lately? Maybe his skin suit tore apart.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

PerniciousKnid posted:

What an absurd thing to say. Does winning the first three primaries not count as an upswell of support?

Iowa was basically a tie, and created such a debacle that people wrote off all future caucuses - which is why nobody cared about Nevada, and then the NH win was incredibly underwhelming. Sure the field was crowded, but winning with 25.6% of the vote, with Pete second at 24.3%, and Amy at 19.7% - is not really convincing anyone of your level of support. Even if you assume all the Warren voters go Bernie, that’s a whopping 35% of the vote.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Very cool that Clarence Thomas's wife is a conspiracy theory spouting Republican operative dedicated to facilitating his vindictive political agenda against his "enemies" and we just can't do anything about it at all except wait for either of them to die.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1257283775375040512
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1257304527843110914
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1257315077243334656

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Jesus Christ with the reviews. Is he reading some loving metacritic but for politicians?

Actually that would kinda rule.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

Very cool that Clarence Thomas's wife is a conspiracy theory spouting Republican operative dedicated to facilitating his vindictive political agenda against his "enemies" and we just can't do anything about it at all except wait for either of them to die.

COVID’s going to tear the judiciary apart. Except for Roberts, Kavanaugh, and Gorsuch.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Polling must have gotten rather sophisticated if they're able to get results from viruses.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
How is that claim about more testing than the rest of the world combined not easily disproven?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's very easily disproven and people point it out every time. He doesn't care and just keeps saying it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

superjew posted:

How is that claim about more testing than the rest of the world combined not easily disproven?

It's simple:

For his base, what he says, is. Anything disproving him is fake news or a hoax.

For the media, it's "Trump says thing. Experts disagree. Who can safely say who's right? The world may never know."

For everyone else: anything he says is bullshit. There's no need to disprove it.

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

It's interesting how you can tell the current focal point of Trump's narcissistic anxiety is by whatever he's currently tweeting about getting great reviews on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

I didn't spend a ton of time in Germany so my experiences may not be typical but there was literally a security guard and access control turnstiles on the mall bathroom when I visited Munich.

was that because it cost a buck to use it, I've only seen that in Europe when they charge you to piss, but I haven't spent much time there either

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Many people are refusing to talk about how I've taken many more drug tests at my workplace than anyone else, no one else comes close to how often my bosses, crooked bosses, I call them, say, "That guy must be pissing hot" and give me a cup to go pee in in the breakroom.

WRONG! This is just how I am.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

canepazzo posted:

Jesus Christ with the reviews. Is he reading some loving metacritic but for politicians?

Actually that would kinda rule.

You know RateMyProfessor.com? Maybe there’s that but for politicians.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

You know RateMyProfessor.com? Maybe there’s that but for politicians.

This would literally be the most toxic place on the internet.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

superjew posted:

It's literally a propaganda technique.

"Joseph Goebbels posted:

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Miller remembers his past incarnation.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Why do we think this? The 2018 coalition was made up overwhelmingly of moderates and centrists. The AOCs/Taliba/ect that get all the media attention are actually the minority of Dems who were elected. Most were moderate...by this forums standards. But actually still quite progressive by Democratic standards and their voting records support it. Jennifer Wexton is a prime example.

Anyway that same 2018 coalition were the ones who wanted “anyone but Bernie” and crawled over broken glass to vote for Biden. Including in states like MI where Biden spent 0 money and visited 0 times but still crushed Bernie.

*edit*

Anyway there is a general election thread full of posters who will happily tell you how wrong I am, how Trump winning would actually be a good thing for leftism, how the DNC is both equally the Illuminati but also the most incompetent organization on earth. So I’ll end the election talk here.

Its the media man. The media gave this to biden. This is going to keep happening too because someone like Bernie fundamentally challenges the power of both the party and the media in the fact he wants to give some of it back to the voters. They don't like that and will do anything to prevent that from happening. I think the only way someone that actually wants to help people can get elected is by lying and saying they are a neoliberal and that they wont change anything.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, a company exec with balls.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/z3bjpj/amazon-vp-tim-bray-resigns-calls-company-chickenshit-for-firing-protesting-workers

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Wonder if this will move any needles at all

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1257264160213217285

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

does anyone know if there are still any judicial vacancies that still need to be filled up, or has turtleface already taken care of every opening?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is Amazon a company that has like a dozen VPs? I want to know how big a deal this guy is.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

ManBoyChef posted:

Its the media man. The media gave this to biden. This is going to keep happening too because someone like Bernie fundamentally challenges the power of both the party and the media in the fact he wants to give some of it back to the voters. They don't like that and will do anything to prevent that from happening. I think the only way someone that actually wants to help people can get elected is by lying and saying they are a neoliberal and that they wont change anything.

I think we need to stop blaming the media for the way people vote. The media’s only objective is to drive clicks and direct eyeballs to their content so they can make more money. People like to point out idiots like Chris Matthews - but how many people actually watched him every day? A few hundred thousand at most, and it was likely made of people who already agreed with his views.

On Friday morning, before the Clyburn endorsement came down, cable news media was dunking on Biden and talking about whether he will drop out on Tuesday night or in the days after. Remember how the media was in the tank for Hillary, even while spending the bulk of their time covering her emails, and contributing to her loss?

We need to recognize that this is a fairly right wing country. The reason the Democrats are a center right party, is that it’s a fairly accurate reflection of our population as a whole. In 2016, every conservative news outlet told their voters not to vote for Trump because he isn’t a conservative and will doom the party, and the voters did it anyway, and forced all of their media outlets to fall in line.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The sad part is that the Lincoln Project wants to put someone even worse in there just not so brash and unsophisticated.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

does anyone know if there are still any judicial vacancies that still need to be filled up, or has turtleface already taken care of every opening?

There are a lot and it's going to stall any progressive movements for decades

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

This is what I tell my friends that are on the fence - imagine Trump having another 4 years of cutting funding to important government programs that will help mitigate or prevent future issues like this. Other countries have been able to contain and advance against COVID but in the U.S. it's still going up because of the terrible response and ignorance. Not to mention any sort of other disaster response in the future is now going to be complicated due to COVID and how badly it's been handled. This is an anecdote, but I had a buddy that was crowing about how he gets more money via less taxes because of Trump, but is now struggling with trying to get unemployment since he got dumped by his job. I haven't said anything just yet about it to him but I know eventually he'll connect the dots since each new presidency he sides with who ever is in the office. Yes, he's one of those continually-brain dead "undecideds".

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

TyrantWD posted:

I think we need to stop blaming the media for the way people vote. The media’s only objective is to drive clicks and direct eyeballs to their content so they can make more money. People like to point out idiots like Chris Matthews - but how many people actually watched him every day? A few hundred thousand at most, and it was likely made of people who already agreed with his views.

On Friday morning, before the Clyburn endorsement came down, cable news media was dunking on Biden and talking about whether he will drop out on Tuesday night or in the days after. Remember how the media was in the tank for Hillary, even while spending the bulk of their time covering her emails, and contributing to her loss?

We need to recognize that this is a fairly right wing country. The reason the Democrats are a center right party, is that it’s a fairly accurate reflection of our population as a whole. In 2016, every conservative news outlet told their voters not to vote for Trump because he isn’t a conservative and will doom the party, and the voters did it anyway, and forced all of their media outlets to fall in line.

the media controls so loving much and you cannot deny that. Its all media not just cable news. Even down to the way they framed questions for Bernie at the debate or the fact that almost all pundits made claims about toxic Bernie bros even though they were indistinguishable from people from other campaigns.

The media controls a lot. Accept it. They shape the narrative we deal with. Its the same with Biden being electable. We all know full well that rapist isnt electable its why he failed to become president so many times before but thats what people think about him because the media convinces the people that watch that he is electable and then those people influence their family and friends. Its just how it works.

Democrats are different than republicans. They get led around by the nose by media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mr Interweb posted:

Most of the vacancies that still exist (and there are a lot) is because Mushbrain hasn't submitted anyone for them, and in a handful of cases the person that was submitted was too terrible even for the regressives in the Senate.