Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Stereotype posted:

They are going to start opening up the local economy this week or next week but there are still lots of arguments on how to safely let tourists back (the most recent plan I heard was a 3 day mandatory hotel-room only quarantine after which you can get tested and if it comes back negative you can go out, otherwise you're stuck. Also if you don't want the test you can always just have a mandatory two week quarantine).

how on Earth do they plan to enforce that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

mrmcd posted:

The rumors I hear at Google are probably perma wfh in EMEA and NA at least through the summer.

Also biz travel is probably 86'ed for the rest of the year unless you have a very good reason and a permission sliped signed by a jr exec level (VP) manager. The hotel and airline industries are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

I know people working as hotel cleaners, like the people who change the sheets n stuff, and they don't even have lysol spray or hand sanitizer so lmao

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Could this be... good news?

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Gringostar posted:

goons in this thread enforcing lockdown

https://i.imgur.com/OVmuMmJ.mp4

the tankies are on the correct side of history once again it seems

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

gently caress i missed the money shot

nice

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

2DCAT posted:

The Strangers keyboardist just died of COVID-19 :negative:

:prepop:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

:ohdear:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mons Hubris posted:

I mean I think everyone assumed this was the case so I guess kinda. Don't get used to it buddy.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

let them fight

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

gonna be a "you get immunity post-covid" week

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the DSA stands with Californias valiant riot police

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

facetoucher cat posted:

I know people working as hotel cleaners, like the people who change the sheets n stuff, and they don't even have lysol spray or hand sanitizer so lmao

Nobody will be travelling anyway except like chud FAKE NEWS people.

Businesses won't want the liability and/or their people won't want to go and be pissed if they have to. All the conferences are cancelled for the year anyway and lots of white collar companies are like "hmm yeah I guess zoom is actually fine vs. paying someone to spend 4k on a trip to meet in person"

Business travel is that whole industries profit cow though, because everyone else are MUCH more about price shopping and the people who will want to get on an airplane in August will have lots of price options with every airline scouring the couch for spare change and cargo contracts.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

immunity with a chance of limb loss, stroke, and being on o2 at 35 and a dash of some other unforseen poo poo

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
lmao work for me just went from rotating work from home (1 day office, next 2 WFH) to full office because sales ticked up the last 24 hours.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

indigi posted:

how on Earth do they plan to enforce that

lol good question. They've arrested 300 tourists so far breaking the quarantine, some several times. Kauai made a bunch of roadblocks and if you had an out of state ID they had a log of recently arrived people and caught them like that. On Oahu it is basically all from locals scouring instagram and facebook and snitching on people, or from hotel managers snitching on them

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Google Butt posted:

immunity with a chance of limb loss, stroke, and being on o2 at 35 and a dash of some other unforseen poo poo

Certainly a vaccine is preferable but it’s at least good if you can’t get this poo poo over and over

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

mrmcd posted:

The rumors I hear at Google are probably perma wfh in EMEA and NA at least through the summer.

Also biz travel is probably 86'ed for the rest of the year unless you have a very good reason and a permission sliped signed by a jr exec level (VP) manager. The hotel and airline industries are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.
Stuff I'm hearing around Amazon is wfh until October.

That said do all companies talk as if this could suddenly dissappear before next week everytime they talk schedules. Or is it just mine?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

twoday posted:

I’m looking forward to being further ostracized for my pre-existing skin problems once this becomes common knowledge

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Last ten pages gave me brain damage I think

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the death count betting pool feels like some kind of character testimony honeypot (in my CSPAM?)

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

pigz posted:

That said do all companies talk as if this could suddenly dissappear before next week everytime they talk schedules. Or is it just mine?

Nope, mine would have us all in the office if my manager hadn't threatened to quit if they wouldn't let our office staff work from home so they keep sending out emails on Monday saying come back in next week and then sending out emails on Friday saying one more week

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

lol good question. They've arrested 300 tourists so far breaking the quarantine, some several times. Kauai made a bunch of roadblocks and if you had an out of state ID they had a log of recently arrived people and caught them like that. On Oahu it is basically all from locals scouring instagram and facebook and snitching on people, or from hotel managers snitching on them

Lol

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

facetoucher cat posted:

*discharges bear spray as if i was a skunk*

*finds out cure for coronavirus is bear spray to the face*

*calls up Trump with a hot tip*

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love

Google Butt posted:

You forgot the permanent lung damage/scarring

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

My abs and titers

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

pigz posted:

This is me, but with posting.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mons Hubris posted:

it's good indicators that will undoubtedly be used to make some bad news

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Come on LAPD, give 'em some of that Rodney King lovin'.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

UH just sent out an email stating they're going to start the fall semester on-time with in-person classes. No matter what we achieve locally, as long as our air connections and quarantine procedures remain status quo, we're gonna get this: some asymptomatic superspreader chud making their way in, deciding the rules don't apply to them as they go out and experience Hawaii as they see fit, which will set us back to square one once community spread cases start popping up again roughly 2~3 weeks later.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Developing my tits and abs to defeat covid :911:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

pigz posted:

That said do all companies talk as if this could suddenly disappear before next week everytime they talk schedules. Or is it just mine?

At Google it started for NA and EMEA offices around March 10 and was "at least until April 13" and then "Ok, Maybe May" and then "you know what, we'll just let you know"

I imagine that in local cities where authorities reopen white collar office buildings they'll transition to "you can come in if you need something but just stay home if you can" and with limited services (no free food and pickup hackysack games or gyms), to discourage the population density from getting too high and to keep people off public transit, etc. Pretty much the whole company has been WFH for almost two months now so there's no reason to march everyone back to the office and look like a corporate monster even if a certain percentage does miss the social contact.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

mrmcd posted:

Nobody will be travelling anyway except like chud FAKE NEWS people.

Businesses won't want the liability and/or their people won't want to go and be pissed if they have to. All the conferences are cancelled for the year anyway and lots of white collar companies are like "hmm yeah I guess zoom is actually fine vs. paying someone to spend 4k on a trip to meet in person"

Business travel is that whole industries profit cow though, because everyone else are MUCH more about price shopping and the people who will want to get on an airplane in August will have lots of price options with every airline scouring the couch for spare change and cargo contracts.

I think you underestimate the chuddiness of a lot of industries

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I'm late but nobody posted "Hot Mom Mess."

What the hell.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

pigz posted:

most peoples' ideas about when/how the "lockdown" should end are mushy at best. they don't know what the gently caress, they just want a Strong Daddy to tell them when it's safe to go Back To Normal because that's a sufficient Cover Your rear end move.

don't wait to voice your opinion on the matter if you get the opportunity, or you will find yourself pressed with a "consensus" to go back to work that you did not vote on.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

paperwind posted:

UH just sent out an email stating they're going to start the fall semester on-time with in-person classes. No matter what we achieve locally, as long as our air connections and quarantine procedures remain status quo, we're gonna get this: some asymptomatic superspreader chud making their way in, deciding the rules don't apply to them as they go out and experience Hawaii as they see fit, which will set us back to square one once community spread cases start popping up again roughly 2~3 weeks later.

Someone will do it out of spite when they find out about roadblocks , I'm not kidding.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

if newsom presses too hard the chud cops will rebel lol

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I'm wondering how it's going to be once the Vegas mayor gets her way and the strip is opened back up. It cannot have any good outcome

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The good news is that robust T and B cell immune responses correlate with virus clearance, which means serology testing is an accurate measure of immunity. It also means those vaccines directed against the spike protein (which is most of them) have a good chance of success.

The bad news is that productive T and B cell immunity was directed exclusively against the spike protein and not the nucleocapsid. and when combined with data that the COVID spike protein is already mutating suggests that the virus will behave like the flu and cold and come in cyclic outbreaks and that any successful vaccine will also have to change to stay one step ahead of the virus. They also found individuals who had little to no detectable antibody response which means some people may not develop long lasting immunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Things are back to normal in The Villages :911: