Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm getting increasingly combative with my parents as they keep telling me I need to demand more ppe from my hospital and I try to explain that there is still no meaningful increase in production, trump has done loving nothing, and kushner is stealing it all. Then I get all the fox news points of its the states responsibility to prepare for and get through a pandemic and trump is doing everything possible and it's Obama's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lmao

Phase 1: open businesses, try to ignore virus

Phase 2: ???????

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm getting increasingly combative with my parents as they keep telling me I need to demand more ppe from my hospital and I try to explain that there is still no meaningful increase in production, trump has done loving nothing, and kushner is stealing it all. Then I get all the fox news points of its the states responsibility to prepare for and get through a pandemic and trump is doing everything possible and it's Obama's fault.

:sever:

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Asproigerosis posted:

It's an impossible battle

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Asproigerosis posted:

Send them the story about how the governor of Maryland had to hide the test kits and PPE from the feds, using the national guard and state police to defend the stockpile.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:') I miss Madison so much

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1257480621502259202

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol at morons arguing with their folks, totally owned

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I thought all the posts on social media were just jokes but can glasses havers really not figure out how to move the glasses like a fraction of an inch down your nose so they don't fog? They don't need to be pressed into your retinas 24/7.

I do that and they still fog up

I just put on contacts for days I have to go out

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Barrons dot com posted:

World Will Be Same But Worse After 'Banal' Virus, Says Houellebecq

Controversial French writer Michel Houellebecq said Monday that he believes the world will be just the same after the coronavirus -- only worse.

The novelist, seen by his fans as a modern prophet of a nihilistic, individualistic age, poured cold water on those who see the pandemic as a possible turning point.

"I do not believe for a half-second the declarations that 'nothing will be like it was before'," said Houellebecq who rose to international fame through his 1998 novel "Atomised".

"We will not wake up after the lockdown in a new world. It will be the same, just a bit worse," he said in an essay for French public radio.

"The way this epidemic has panned out is remarkably normal," he argued.

He described COVID-19 as a "banal virus" with "no redeeming qualities... It's not even sexually transmitted."

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

imagine not disdainfully responding to any bullshit from your parents by asking if they put their wills on USB thumb drive somewhere you can find it and then hanging up on them

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

your parents are wonderful people and it would be a terrible shame if they got covid-19 please keep them safe

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

he's right, they will find a way to shoehorn us all back into the wage slave life we had before but now with an extra 2-3000 people dying every day from a horrific respiratory illness that they demand we simply tolerate because they are insulated from it, and are bored of hearing about it

and things will be the same, but we will be poorer, and they will be richer, and more of us will die, and more of them will act like they are some paragon of humanity because they didn't die the same way

the part he isn't right about is uh, that creepy poo poo at the bottom.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

America doesn't want to be saved, it just doesn't think it should be the first to go either

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

drat how much did your MBA cost?

i have no mba but every day i feel like i'm the only person who understands "the client should get what they pay for"

i'm burning $5k in labor to create something that is maybe $1200 in revenue and they're chasing more of it

love too be in the red so we can say we found more work

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

he's right, they will find a way to shoehorn us all back into the wage slave life we had before but now with an extra 2-3000 people dying every day from a horrific respiratory illness that they demand we simply tolerate because they are insulated from it, and are bored of hearing about it

and things will be the same, but we will be poorer, and they will be richer, and more of us will die, and more of them will act like they are some paragon of humanity because they didn't die the same way

the part he isn't right about is uh, that creepy poo poo at the bottom.

I don't know how you cap it at 2k-3k per day though, running riot this poo poo will be killing 10k a day lmao

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I like to hear from my mom sometimes, shes gotten real into growing vegetables and spices :)

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

We can't waste 5,000$ in water and manhours to fight this "Fire." This is an over reaction by the money hungry fire department demanding huge pork budgets and kickbacks. This is just some smoke. Could be steam from AMERICAN BARBECUE. Smart analysts tell me this is plausible. To prevent the situation from getting worse I have arrested 47 local minorities, for some reason.

This "fire" if that's what you want to call it (I've had bigger in my kitchen!) is only affecting 1% of the house. Overpaid fire department wasting it's time. Cure can not be worse than the disease. These taxpayers/homeowners will be prevented from entering their OWN PROPERTY. WE MUST LET FREEDOM BE FREE.

The worst of the fire is over. It is a fire. I always called it a fire. I called it a fire from the start. Nevertheless we have battled the infrared enemy. Much less of the house left to burn now. Worst is over. I applaud the homeowner for daring to watch American Idol in their living room. We must re-populate this house. BRAVE!!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

I don't know how you cap it at 2k-3k per day though, running riot this poo poo will be killing 10k a day lmao

that's not hte cap, that's my long-term projection for the 'new normal' we will be forced to tolerate by the ruling class

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

facetoucher cat posted:

It's good that it was negative i guess but how's she feeling?

Still feels lovely. Coughs a lot. Temp randomly goes up to ~100 for a while and then backs off. Felt some chest tightness today. Video doc prescribed an inhaler, which I hadn't thought about, so maybe that'll provide a little relief tomorrow

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Reuters dot com posted:

Exclusive: Internal Chinese report warns Beijing faces Tiananmen-like global backlash over virus

BEIJING (Reuters) - An internal Chinese report warns that Beijing faces a rising wave of hostility in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak that could tip relations with the United States into confrontation, people familiar with the paper told Reuters.

The report, presented early last month by the Ministry of State Security to top Beijing leaders including President Xi Jinping, concluded that global anti-China sentiment is at its highest since the 1989 Tiananmen Square crackdown, the sources said.

As a result, Beijing faces a wave of anti-China sentiment led by the United States in the aftermath of the pandemic and needs to be prepared in a worst-case scenario for armed confrontation between the two global powers, according to people familiar with the report’s content, who declined to be identified given the sensitivity of the matter.

The report was drawn up by the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations (CICIR), a think tank affiliated with the Ministry of State Security, China’s top intelligence body.

Reuters has not seen the briefing paper, but it was described by people who had direct knowledge of its findings.

“I don’t have relevant information,” the Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson’s office said in a statement responding to questions from Reuters on the report.

China’s Ministry of State Security has no public contact details and could not be reached for comment.

CICIR, an influential think tank that until 1980 was within the Ministry of State Security and advises the Chinese government on foreign and security policy, did not reply to a request for comment.

Reuters couldn’t determine to what extent the stark assessment described in the paper reflects positions held by China’s state leaders, and to what extent, if at all, it would influence policy. But the presentation of the report shows how seriously Beijing takes the threat of a building backlash that could threaten what China sees as its strategic investments overseas and its view of its security standing.

Relations between China and the United States are widely seen to be at their worst point in decades, with deepening mistrust and friction points from U.S. allegations of unfair trade and technology practices to disputes over Hong Kong, Taiwan and contested territories in the South China Sea.

In recent days, U.S. President Donald Trump, facing a more difficult re-election campaign as the coronavirus has claimed tens of thousands of American lives and ravaged the U.S. economy, has been ramping up his criticism of Beijing and threatening new tariffs on China. His administration, meanwhile, is considering retaliatory measures against China over the outbreak, officials said.

It is widely believed in Beijing that the United States wants to contain a rising China, which has become more assertive globally as its economy has grown.

The paper concluded that Washington views China’s rise as an economic and national security threat and a challenge to Western democracies, the people said. The report also said the United States was aiming to undercut the ruling Communist Party by undermining public confidence.

Chinese officials had a “special responsibility” to inform their people and the world of the threat posed by the coronavirus “since they were the first to learn of it,” U.S. State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said in response to questions from Reuters.

Without directly addressing the assessment made in the Chinese report, Ortagus added: “Beijing’s efforts to silence scientists, journalists, and citizens and spread disinformation exacerbated the dangers of this health crisis.”

A spokesman for the U.S. National Security Council declined to comment.

lmao

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

that's not hte cap, that's my long-term projection for the 'new normal' we will be forced to tolerate by the ruling class

ah you think thats where the reinfection vs immunity time curve thing will stabilize

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

pro watch

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

you're underselling it this poo poo is evil as gently caress

quote:

The Commission recommends that the President and the White House provide high-profile public education.

The Administration should continue regular briefings, as needed, to educate the public on the progress against the pandemic. With most people having been convinced that they are not safe unless they remain in their homes, it will be a challenge to convince them that they can now return to more normal social and economic activity. This is especially true because new cases will continue to be reported. This will be interpreted by some as the result of a retreat from needed measures to protect public health, including social distancing. People will need to be reassured that it is safe to work and patronize local businesses. Robust public education should include reinforcing Americans’ mutual responsibility and accountability to others through appropriate, targeted “social distancing” and other hygienic and nonpharmacologic interventions (NPI).

straight up lying to people about their safety so that applebees can meet its quarterlies

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

not gonna read it but 17 pages? sounds serious

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

COVID-420 posted:

straight up lying to people about their safety so that applebees can meet its quarterlies

it seems the only plan has been to prop it up to November

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:(

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1257513110396719106

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Phase 1: Make Stock Number Go Up

Phase 2: lol we're not going to report more cases this is an election year

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

COVID-420 posted:

this is why its hopium, they think its within their control lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

COVID-420 posted:

Some of the stuff the report suggests for the executive is to get rid of regulations.

The Commission recommends that the President call
for a review of all regulations that must be waived with
new COVID-19 rules and guidance documents and consider serious long-term changes in those regulatory
programs.

The Commission recommends that the President call
for a review of all regulations that inhibit economic
growth and extend the two-for-one and centralized
review requirements to the independent regulatory
commissions and agencies.

The Commission recommends that the President direct
agencies not to enforce a range of regulations against
small businesses.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

shovelbum posted:

ah you think thats where the reinfection vs immunity time curve thing will stabilize

there has to be an inflection point... right?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yeah this is the stuff i was talking about earlier.

how is this not common

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

We can't waste 5,000$ in water and manhours to fight this "Fire." This is an over reaction by the money hungry fire department demanding huge pork budgets and kickbacks. This is just some smoke. Could be steam from AMERICAN BARBECUE. Smart analysts tell me this is plausible. To prevent the situation from getting worse I have arrested 47 local minorities, for some reason.

This "fire" if that's what you want to call it (I've had bigger in my kitchen!) is only affecting 1% of the house. Overpaid fire department wasting it's time. Cure can not be worse than the disease. These taxpayers/homeowners will be prevented from entering their OWN PROPERTY. WE MUST LET FREEDOM BE FREE.

The worst of the fire is over. It is a fire. I always called it a fire. I called it a fire from the start. Nevertheless we have battled the infrared enemy. Much less of the house left to burn now. Worst is over. I applaud the homeowner for daring to watch American Idol in their living room. We must re-populate this house. BRAVE!!

i was living in a house that caught fire and it honestly felt so loving weird that the fire department didn't bill us for having to put it out.

fire departments are unamerican and will probably be privatized pretty soon if COVID doesn't provoke a communist movement

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

so much of this bullshit would be unnecessary if we had an actual govt. in south korea they have coffee shops open. in germany they pay people to stay home.

i mean yeah it's blatantly true but it makes me so angry to think about that this country has such open contempt for human dignity and life that it's really implied already.

the rest of the world will forbid american travelers and they'll be 100% right to do so. shame for anyone who wants to flee but at this point anyone who lives in america has enough residual american values hiding in their brain that no country can afford to let americans come in and poison their nation with americanism

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Rexicon1 posted:

there has to be an inflection point... right?

At some point everyone has had it and is immune which is like how a house fire goes out eventually. The number thrown around where this starts to happen is 60%, but that means 2.1M deaths and also it doesn't just stop at 60%, it simply slows down a lot, so you're still gonna have like 2k deaths a day possibly forever.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

At some point everyone has had it and is immune which is like how a house fire goes out eventually. The number thrown around where this starts to happen is 60%, but that means 2.1M deaths and also it doesn't just stop at 60%, it simply slows down a lot, so you're still gonna have like 2k deaths a day possibly forever.

yeah like a sine wave between 2k and then as herd immunity wears off back up to 50k a day or whatever and back to 2k again

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

CODChimera posted:

yeah this is the stuff i was talking about earlier.

how is this not common

Nobody wants to piss off an angry moron and get punched or stabbed for it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
but actually bc it causes lingering damage........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's cool that there are firefighters in each town who work for the public, but no such doctors. gotta save the houses though.