Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

And Diablo 3's getting creamed by Path of Exile, a free-to-play game on Steam.
To be fair, this is largely because they had no support at all for d3 leading up to and just after necromancer. It wasn't until kind of recently that they started doing minor changes again to keep it a little fresh. They made their money on box sales, supported it in a Blizzard way for a year or two, and then dropped it when box sales slowed to a crawl. When it was clear this wasn't 2005 and their box game wasn't going to sell like a new game for years after like some older blizzard titles. They've mostly put work into ports which again print money.

PoE has a company working on it. A company of passionate people who actually play games like that at a competent level.

If D3 received even 1/5th the care PoE did it would still be far more popular than it is. The two games occupy different spaces in a niche with not much competition. Blizzard's main problem seems to be inability to allocate resources effectively. A team of 5-8 could have kept D3 running and generated tons of sales. They implemented an MTX store and then never sold cosmetics in it. It's ridiculous how poorly they've managed most things given the resources they have.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

They made a mint, because they're Blizzard. They could release anything and people would buy it.

But they failed to do anything interesting with D3 since RoS released in 2014, and PoE is simply being more productive with their title. How much money a thing has earned is a poor representation of a thing's worth, is what I'm trying to say. D3 has no relevancy in the gaming community at large, while PoE still produces content for people to enjoy.

I'm not even super big on PoE, but I just hate to see a title get dropped like this.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Yes it sucks that D3 got punted but by every metric is was a massive success and no comparison of modern developments can erase the tsunami of money it made. PoE could keep going for the next decade and disregard Blizzard's mobile game and D4 releases and it would still be dreaming of reaching D3's popularity and impact.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

They made a mint, because they're Blizzard. They could release anything and people would buy it.
My friend, who I used to ladder with in 2s, bought it and said "I don't get why people are complaining". We don't talk much anymore and were catching up on life so I didn't drop the "they don't even have ladders, profiles, or clans in reforged yet" thing or any other more pedantic complaints. For going on 3 1/2 years of development it's one hell of a remaster.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 4, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

THE BAR posted:

But they failed to do anything interesting with D3 since RoS released in 2014, and PoE is simply being more productive with their title. How much money a thing has earned is a poor representation of a thing's worth, is what I'm trying to say. D3 has no relevancy in the gaming community at large, while PoE still produces content for people to enjoy.

I'm not even super big on PoE, but I just hate to see a title get dropped like this.

Well yeah, because d3 made its money and they're done. Nobody is disputing that PoE is a lot more active, it's just nobody really finds that impressive because you're comparing the number of people watching a movie still in theaters to one the released to DVD 6 years ago.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I think they finally re-enabled offline singleplayer, at least. So there's that. Or rather, single-player without having to do it as a multiplayer lobby.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

danjal posted:

Have they gone and fixed any of the issues with the re-release?

I want to buy it, but the stigma it has makes me very weary about buying it.

Reforged multiplayer is significantly improved with the color adjustment but it's still hard to tell what's what and there's NO OFFICIAL LADDER LOL

BlazetheInferno posted:

I think they finally re-enabled offline singleplayer, at least. So there's that. Or rather, single-player without having to do it as a multiplayer lobby.

I found a funny bug yesterday. I created a custom game under single player mode then tried adding my friend so we could play a warmup against computers. The option is there to add friends but it just sent him immediate "failed to join game" messages over and over. Had to go to custom games through the regular menu and that worked just fine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blizzard could poo poo in a box and make bank. Diablo 3 was so much worse than the previous entries.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Disargeria posted:

Yes it sucks that D3 got punted but by every metric is was a massive success and no comparison of modern developments can erase the tsunami of money it made. PoE could keep going for the next decade and disregard Blizzard's mobile game and D4 releases and it would still be dreaming of reaching D3's popularity and impact.

d3 was a success insofar as it was a cashin-in on one of the most succesful IPs of all time in gaming. It also destroyed the careers of the people who oversaw the project because it flopped on release so badly that it hemmorhaged like 90% of it's players within a month or two and exposed blizz to a ton of legal liability if they didn't close the money laundering rmah. Yeah the sales were a success, but people don't get literally run out of the games industry for successful games releases. At that point, they could've released a box full of manure for $50 that said diablo 3 on it and sold just as many copies.

It's more the impact of Diablo 2 that they'd have to compete with and are aspiring to. I don't think anyone in gaming wants to emulate D3. Even though the final state that they got the game into is fun, it's an immensely shallow game that's pretty much good to play for a weekend or two once a season. The endgame is just a literally unending grind of the same 2 activities over and over and over and over. Hope you like doing bounties and rifts/grifts until your eyes bleed. There's a reason why the leaderboards have been 90% bot accounts for most of the last few years.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Blizzard could poo poo in a box and make bank. Diablo 3 was so much worse than the previous entries.

I have no idea who first said it, but I love that this has been the go-to way for years now for describing the state of the Diablo IP at the time D3 was in production

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 5, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PaybackJack posted:

Blizzard looks pretty good stock wise. Going by the stock it would be pretty safe to say that all the controversy surrounding the release of the game caused no effect. Not that it should really. Anyone investing in Blizzard is waiting for that Diablo 4 money to start rolling in. I'd say that's going to be the thing that really makes or breaks the company at this point. Overwatch 2 has a ton of competition, as does Hearthstone now. Diablo and Starcraft are their only big franchises left and I think unless they make a Starcraft non-rts then Starcraft won't be doing much either. WoW is still going along but I think Shadowlands will only bring in so much.

If they gently caress up Diablo 4 then it's probably alright to pronounce them dead, barring them inventing another new title that manages to capture the minds of the youth as Overwatch did for a period.

All I'm hearing is time for SC ghost and Lord of the Clans to shine

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Also diablo 4 isn't making or breaking the company because activision currently makes an absolute fortune off of candy crush, fifa in game sales, and cod in game sales and some cash from hearthstone, too.

Their reputation will be completely poo poo if they gently caress up D4, though that's just a small step up from 'almost totally poo poo' where it is currently.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also diablo 4 isn't making or breaking the company because activision currently makes an absolute fortune off of candy crush, fifa in game sales, and cod in game sales and some cash from hearthstone, too.

Their reputation will be completely poo poo if they gently caress up D4, though that's just a small step up from 'almost totally poo poo' where it is currently.

I should have been more clear when I said make or break. Blizzard won't ever "die" until Hearthstone and WoW drop to numbers where they won't see large returns from new releases. Creatively D4 is the last hope for the company in terms of creating a good product that doesn't destroy consumer confidence in the studio. And even then Activision won't suffer the hit, Blizzard as a studio will just get stripped down to its bare minimum while Activision itself finds a new company to gobble up and beat to death and beyond.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

PaybackJack posted:

I should have been more clear when I said make or break. Blizzard won't ever "die" until Hearthstone and WoW drop to numbers where they won't see large returns from new releases. Creatively D4 is the last hope for the company in terms of creating a good product that doesn't destroy consumer confidence in the studio. And even then Activision won't suffer the hit, Blizzard as a studio will just get stripped down to its bare minimum while Activision itself finds a new company to gobble up and beat to death and beyond.

Idk, what you're describing happened several years ago and it's why everything blizzard does is at an absolutely glacial pace and why almost nothing ever actually gets finished. They did several huge layoff waves of all their senior people who they've tried to replace with much cheaper grads with no experience; they also eliminated almost all of the profit sharing incentives they had which were a big part of what was motivating employees (and also what made people overlook their otherwise decidely below-market salaries). We're already years into the decline.

I mean they haven't released a game since 2016, they were gutted as a company years ago.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

While it's hard to really trust the quarterly reports, my understanding is that Hearthstone still makes a fuckton of money for Activision. It's cheap-ish to run, they've streamlined content creation for it so that artists are churning out card art by the truckloads, they've switched to a far more conservative way of pushing out expansions and the captive audience of players that are left generally don't seem to care how bad the HS team (what's left of it) is at balancing the game.

Not Candy Crush or Call of Duty levels of money but it's not in any danger.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ErrEff posted:

Even crazier: Blizzard had already done the work to update many of the WC3 models back in 2015 and they fit way better into Reforged than the cinematic monstrosities that came later. It was released as a data mod for SC2. Who knows if this was for a previous remake that got aborted, I guess we'll never know, but at least they released this stuff.

Not just new textures, they made actual new meshes that fit into what the old ones looked like while staying true to the original designs.

I'm not saying these are perfect but IMO they provide a much better basis for what Reforged should've looked like.

God, I had totally forgotten about these. You're right that it makes the insistence on redesigning everything into "cinematic quality" even worse - it's so totally unnecessary when just upscaling and updating the original designs looks so much better.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I only passively lurk this thread but I saw it mentioned a few pages back that there was no thread for the new edition of Age of Empires 2, so I took it upon myself to create one if anyone wants to add me and play a few games.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

PaybackJack posted:

Blizzard looks pretty good stock wise. Going by the stock it would be pretty safe to say that all the controversy surrounding the release of the game caused no effect. Not that it should really. Anyone investing in Blizzard is waiting for that Diablo 4 money to start rolling in. I'd say that's going to be the thing that really makes or breaks the company at this point. Overwatch 2 has a ton of competition, as does Hearthstone now. Diablo and Starcraft are their only big franchises left and I think unless they make a Starcraft non-rts then Starcraft won't be doing much either. WoW is still going along but I think Shadowlands will only bring in so much.

If they gently caress up Diablo 4 then it's probably alright to pronounce them dead, barring them inventing another new title that manages to capture the minds of the youth as Overwatch did for a period.

Being willing to defend current Diablo 3 in the sense it was improved to a point of at least creating a niche for itself, I think Diablo 4 will probably be a disaster. Its 'darker' art style looks like modern Blizzard attempting what they don't quite have the right art team to pull off, the little I've seen of the UI looks worse than Diablo 3, the more 'open world' nature reminds me of the Mass Effect: Andromeda disaster and the notion nobody should worry because their team is 'independent' of the reforged disaster is just too reminiscent of wishful thinking by Blizzard clingers-on. Yeah I'd be very surprised if D4 ends up being a serious competitor to Torchlight or Path of Exile.

Reforged, mismanagement of WoW, plus terrible reports about Blizzard Activision should be indications they've gone far downhill. And don't forget it was pre-activision Blizzard that allowed the Jay Wilson cult boondoggle to gravely wound D3.

I would not buy Blizzard stock. I get the sense most people buying it don't understand the culture there, and probably think Blizzard is just another EA. They might be profitable for a while, but it would be folly to have long-term confidence. I like Blizzard games, played nearly all of them, and when I heard the company trending in the wrong direction after 2013, at first I wanted to mostly dismiss it, that it wouldn't matter much or might reverse. But the trend is unambiguous and unignorable now, and seems driven by the same corporatist mismanagement that has hurt other studios. Once a games company loses its vision and becomes only about profit, often the only way it can be reformed and corrected is if the shareholders force it, which usually only happens once their profits are badly hurt. By the time this happens though, their IP and reputation are already ruined. This might be different if the largest shareholders were more activist and knew more about the gaming industry, because they might intervene sooner, but I've never seen it play out that way.

The real hope is for other companies to pick up innovation in the genres pre Activision-Blizzard left off. Former employees, purged by corporate mismanagement or fleeing a grueling existence, might start their own studios and go on to innovate. It's happened many times before.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't forget their amazing reveal "trailer" where they showed off stationary models with a camera floating back and forth with noticeable stutter. :shepface:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Poil posted:

Don't forget their amazing reveal "trailer" where they showed off stationary models with a camera floating back and forth with noticeable stutter. :shepface:
Stutter is d3 engine's bread and butter. You get 10fps mins with 200 fps average on a 9900k with 2080ti just running in circles in town. For some reason every so many frames it takes 70ms-120ms to process the frame. Seems especially prevalent near season start so it may be netcode related.

It's maddening.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 7, 2020

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
There's a whole finance sub forum, with stock trading threads and all. FWIW, they just did earnings, crushed it, Reforged was given credit for adding content and $ to the warcraft franchise, raw sales, boosted subs, and in-game purchases (via new content available).

I loving hate how lovely the WC3 reforged bullshit that we got is, but on the business side, it was a success.

I don't even really need a ladder now, just some control over which server you play on. The lag issues have gotten unplayable, but I doubt the game gets much more.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they're making money off of a few IPs (eg fifa, candy crush, COD, and wow/hearthstone/ow in game purchases), reforged was pocket change. And it's an earnings report, blizz always says that every product is gangbusters even as they're actively imploding. I'm actually surprised that they spun wc3 as a success

E: just got around to reading the whole thing and lol they gave zero specifics for how much money reforged actually made, they just lumped it in with the wow revenue so we will never know. Not another word about it otherwise, either.

Gonna crosspost this into death watch so ima dig into this beyond just the wc3 focus. quoting my super obvious prediction from before the call:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they mostly just conceal playercounts or give single line summaries of 'after the update, players increased' that don't actually communicate any info and 2) blizz's lasting legacy as a powerhouse of games-making, which wall street still believes 100% to be the case even if no one outside of wall street believes that poo poo anymore and 3) analysts predicting that with everyone at home, it's a good time to buy games company stock. I actually remain consistently surprised how utterly mainstream the total collapse in faith in blizzard has become.

Called it: <Now, turning to Blizzard. MAUs were 32 million in Q1 with each of Blizzard's key franchises experiencing a month-on-month increase in reach in March.>

That was the entirety of their reporting on the specific performance of blizzard franchises. Hearthstone they had to say 'improving metrics over time' which is a way of saying 'they're bad, but they're getting less bad.' Wow and OW were both 'increased engagement after patches' 'we attribute that largely to covid keeping people at home' Immortal is apparently in the wings, no word on D4 production (surprisingly, actually, that really should've been in there---I wonder what's going on with it?).

quote:

They aren't touching starcraft. Several of the top execs literally hate starcraft for some reason and want it dead and gone (not hyperbole) and they just finished dumping their entire starcraft esports involvement when they laid off everyone involved.

Literally not one word about starcraft, hots or additionally, any esports activity other than cod/owl leagues. Nothing about reforged beyond two single line information-free summaries. Blizzard activity in general only got a handful of sentences throughout the entire thing, which with how non-productive blizz is and how much disarray they're in, isn't surprising, but it's still striking. Nothing about ow the game other than 'increased engagement in march [after lockdown]' and they described owl as having transitioned smoothly to online play.

So yeah, shares will be good cuz activision and king are killing it with cod/candy crush. Blizz is 'when people are forced to stay at home out of fear of death, slightly more people chose to play our games'

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 8, 2020

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Amnomia posted:

video game 3 remade is bad lol

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If Blizzard's standards were up to their previous releases, people would risk going out into the plague to play their games (if digital distribution were not still a thing).

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

ya it's true

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Very thoughtful of them to keep the bug where replays double display your own chat messages

e: also you can't reverse playback or skip backwards. You have to reload the replay

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 20, 2020

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Speaking as a long-time self-admitted huge Blizzard Fanboy that actively goes out of his way to avoid looking at the downsides of things I'm interested in:

It's really upsetting to see Blizzard talking about stuff like Custom Campaigns as if they're exciting new features they're still working on, rather than stuff they're trying to return to us after they took them away. I hate how much it reeks of executive meddling and mandates screwing over one of Blizzard's most treasured classic games, to the point of feeling actively malicious by said executives.

I feel really bad for the people actually working on it. They probably hate what's been done to the game as much as we do, but have to pretend they're so proud of it because PR and Executives.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

quote:

Hail, Warcraft III: Reforged players!

It’s been too long since we’ve shared an update on our team’s progress. After a challenging launch, we’ve been regrouping, listening to your feedback, prioritizing the things we need to do for the game, and building a plan to deliver on our next steps. While we’ve been quiet these past few months, know that there is a dedicated and passionate team that’s been hard at work on Warcraft III: Reforged behind the scenes. As our team works toward a roadmap that we can share in the near future; we’d like to start communicating more frequently and meaningfully about our plans, and what’s coming next for the game. Let’s kick that off right now, with the first in a series of articles diving into what the team is focused on.

Ongoing Updates: Bug and Desync Fix Patches

Since launch, we’ve delivered a series of patches in an ongoing effort to continue fixing bugs and making quality of life changes across Warcraft III. These updates have come at a rate of at least once a month, and include fixes and improvements to art, gameplay, systems, and features across the game, including Campaign, Custom Game, and Versus modes.

Some of our most impactful bugs since legacy Warcraft III involve desyncs which occur when two or more players’ game clients get out of sync and force their game to end prematurely. Due to how disruptive these desyncs can be, a heavy emphasis will continue to be on finding and resolving the most common issues that are causing desyncs. In addition to actively approaching desync issues from different angles, we’re also developing a tool that will better arm us against future desyncs.

Balance Updates

As with other Blizzard games, our team will also be releasing balance updates for Warcraft III. Our goal is to preserve classic strategies where possible while promoting increased strategic variety. Warcraft III is a hero-focused RTS (Real-Time Strategy game), and we want to celebrate that by providing opportunities for players to open with different Heroes while retaining the unique playstyles inherent to each race and the asymmetry between races.

Each of our balance patches will aim to ensure competitive integrity at the professional level while providing a variety of different strategies for new and returning players of all skill levels. Our first balance patch since launch will be coming to the Public Test Realm (PTR) for testing this week and will feature a bevy of updates. Check out the patch notes soon for all of the details, and don’t forget to provide your feedback once you’ve had a chance to play the changes on the PTR.

Upcoming Features

In parallel to these ongoing bug fixing efforts and balance updates, we’re also working to deliver features to the game, including Improved Matchmaking, Ranked Ladders, Profiles, Custom Campaigns, and Clans. While we’ve mentioned before that these features are in development, we wanted to start providing more details on the direction we’re taking with each, share some additional insights, and give players an opportunity to provide feedback. Up first, let’s talk about our ongoing improvements to Warcraft III’s matchmaking.

Matchmaking Reforged

Matchmaking is the system we use to find and match allies and opponents of similar skill. To support this, player skill is tracked using a numerical representation called a player’s Matchmaking Rating, or “MMR” for short. A higher MMR reflects a more skilled player, and matching players with others of comparable skill using their MMRs keeps games as fair and fun as possible.

A player's MMR gets updated at the conclusion of each match, with the amount of points received being dependent on several factors that serve to determine their predicted win chance and an internal value called “variance.” We use variance to represent how confident our system is that a player is rated at the right skill level. When starting out, variance is high because the system doesn’t have enough information yet. Over time, as more games are played, this number will decrease. Higher variance means that there are larger swings in how MMR is adjusted after each match, while lower variance results in smaller MMR changes. Initially, our system will make large changes to MMR to get a player near their proper rating and then refine over time with smaller changes as more games are played. Consistent performance over time will allow a player’s MMR to move up (or down) as they win or lose games.

In a departure from the legacy version of Warcraft III, Reforged now has a per-race MMR in all modes except Arranged Teams which allows for more competitive matchmaking while freeing players to play their favorite races or learn new races without fear of impacting their overall MMR.

Also new, Reforged now features Global Matchmaking for all modes, which allows players to test their mettle against the best Warcraft III players around the world. While this addition is an exciting feature, we are aware of community concerns surrounding latency with Global Matchmaking. In reaction to this feedback, the team has begun rolling out a series of server updates which have reduced the number of high-latency games by over 60% since the week of May 4th. We will continue working to further reduce the occurrence of these high-latency games by implementing additional fixes in the coming weeks, so please continue to give us feedback on your experience.

Warcraft III has three primary matchmaking modes: 1v1, Team Games (2v2, 3v3, 4v4), and Free-for-All (FFA). The goal for all modes is to match players in a way that provides the best games possible while doing so in a reasonable amount of time. To accomplish this, the system starts by looking for a perfect match and slowly loosens its requirements over time if it can’t make that match. The parameters for finding matches and the way these restrictions are relaxed are different for each of the matchmaking modes, so let’s dive into each of them.

1v1

Among the three matchmaking modes, 1v1 will have the most stringent matchmaking parameters as this game mode is all about individual performance. Reforged to further enable players to find the best and most competitive 1v1 matches. As part of these changes, the matchmaker will now adjust search parameters specifically for higher MMR players to find the most competitive matches, even in exchange for longer queue times. Regardless of MMR, the matchmaker will slowly loosen the search parameters as time goes on in order to find a match. This adjustment will take longer for higher MMR players in order to continue prioritizing finding the most competitive matches. We believe these changes will allow the most competitive 1v1 players to find the best matches that most closely mirror their skill.

Team Games (2v2, 3v3, 4v4)

For team games, the system is slightly different to account for the fact that the outcome of a team game is not solely tied to the performance of an individual. Team Game players who watch MMRs closely will notice that it takes more games before their MMR settles into its proper range, and they’ll see larger MMR adjustments per game—and for more games—than in 1v1. Since the outcome of the game is influenced by others on the team, the system takes longer to dial in on an individual player’s skill.

In recognition of this, Arranged Teams consisting of a full team of self-organized players are now tracked separately using the team’s MMR rather than a player’s individual rating. Playing games as an Arranged Team does not affect your individual MMR for that game mode or race, so you can switch races freely while within an Arranged Team and not worry about affecting your outside ratings. Since Arranged Teams are tracked separately, they will also have separate leaderboards once Ranked Play arrives to better gauge overall performance.

One of our goals is to provide as many options as possible to allow players to play alongside their friends, and this means minimizing restrictions for party size and MMR. In service of this, players of any MMR can party up together so that—no matter your skill—you can always bring along a friend to play with. Players can also group up as a partial team, allowing friends to queue up together while the matchmaker finds other players to fill the remaining slots to complete the team. Players assembling partial teams will be rated by their individual MMR rather than their team’s MMR.

For the first time, the system will allow Random Teams to be paired against Arranged Teams. This is a departure from the precedent set in the legacy version of Warcraft III, so we wanted to share our thoughts behind this change. Pairing Arranged Teams solely against other Arranged Teams often resulted in very long queue times, especially for highly rated teams. These extended queue times often led to poor quality games, since teams would be matched against any available opponent once enough time passed. This change will help make more closely matched games more often, and we’ll be keeping an eye on things to ensure the right balance of match quality versus queue time.

Free-for-All (FFA)

Free-for-All (FFA) has historically had the most unforgiving matchmaking system as there could only be one winner and three losing players. This system felt inaccurate given that the “losing”’ players are issued similar penalties despite some surviving longer than others during a match. Victories also resulted in a single player gaining a lot of MMR, but all opponents’ MMRs decreasing. This tended to cause a disparity in MMR ratings which made it more difficult to match players up and resulted in increased queue times for everyone. With these challenges in mind, we have completely redesigned the way MMR is calculated for FFA games.

Instead of having one winner and three losing players, Free-for-All games have shifted to a placements system of 1st through 4th places. At the conclusion of a game, multiple calculations are run to determine how each player’s MMR will change based on both placement and the MMR of the other players in the game. This results in a more nuanced change to each players’ Free-for-All MMR which should keep players of similar skill levels closer to one another in MMR. These updates help inform more accurate adjustments in MMRs and cut down on player queue times by keeping players grouped better with competitors of equal or similar skill.

Moving to a placement system can raise concerns of potentially incentivizing players to prolong their play with unsportsmanlike tactics such as hiding buildings as an attempt to stay in the match longer. These problems have been inherent in Free-for-All since its inception and are challenging to directly address. Overall, we believe that by tying Free-for-All MMR changes to a placement system, we are actively encouraging players to finish off weaker ones, as each opponent defeated directly translates into higher MMR gains or reduced losses. As with all our other changes, we’ll continue to test and monitor these new systems to ensure that they work as intended and achieve our goals.

To Be Continued...

We’re excited to continue rolling out these matchmaking improvements, and moving forward, players can expect ongoing communications from us at regular intervals as we release patches. As part of those communications, we’ll have a series of feature deep dives and development updates like this one, as well as lighter looks at other aspects of the game and community. Our next feature deep dive will be focused on our upcoming Ranked Ladder system, so keep an eye out for the details on our plans in the coming weeks. We plan to provide a roadmap for our future releases as our work progresses, but in the meantime please continue sharing your feedback and know that our team is working hard to deliver features, bug fixes, improvements, and balance updates as we strive to make Warcraft III: Reforged better with each release.

Zug Zug,

The Warcraft III Team

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

tl;dr for bad game please?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Zug Zug

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
lol, the lack of a ladder is actually an improvement. no fixes to the lag/server stuff. ah well. It was fun for a couple months, wasn't really expecting much more.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

RTS (Real-Time Strategy game)

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Command and conquer remaster out soon.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
“Each of our balance patches will aim to ensure competitive integrity at the professional level”

hmm yes tell me more about the pro scene in 2020 for an early 2000s game

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
If they actually start rebalancing the game I might get interested enough to make this Warcraft III: Repurchased.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The only balance change will be to nerf towers specifically to spite the highperch crew.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That sure is a lot of words to say "We know we still haven't delivered the stuff we promised for launch, sorry".

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

And they left out the sorry part.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

lol, "For the first time, the system will allow Random Teams to be paired against Arranged Teams". In other words, we decided to give arranged teams free wins because we're lazy and no one is playing this trash version of the game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SirSamVimes posted:

The only balance change will be to nerf towers specifically to spite the highperch crew.

i would cry

towa antics are literally the only enjoyment i get from this loving game anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
My install has gone from sepia-tone to full color and it is causing my 2019 gaming laptop to chug on the menu screen (it runs Diablo 3 on full settings). The gameplay is as smooth as the day it was released, thank god, but the menu is acting like every last cell of a map is filled with spastically-animating units.