Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's one of the problems with the giant wheels every OEM insists on putting on cars and CUVs. i'm glad the alltrack only takes 16" tires.

Ha, my brother pisses and moans about tire costs for the 20" wheels on his Silverado, so I told him just buy smaller stock wheels, then he says but those don't look cool :downsgun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Ha, my brother pisses and moans about tire costs for the 20" wheels on his Silverado, so I told him just buy smaller stock wheels, then he says but those don't look cool :downsgun:

Just rent rims. LOL

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Applebees Appetizer posted:

At least he's honest about it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

taqueso posted:

Aren't tires for larger wheels generally less rubber and slightly less expensive? Assuming the same total diameter and model

rubber cost is not a major driver of tire cost

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's one of the problems with the giant wheels every OEM insists on putting on cars and CUVs. i'm glad the alltrack only takes 16" tires.
Worst part about going from the old crusty VW to the i3. On the VW I could get 15" tires with a 70k mile guarantee for the same price as the stupid 19" tires on the i3 that will be lucky to see 15k miles. I hate big wheels on cars.

Elviscat posted:

The i3 also has somewhat... unique tires.
I have two options...all seasons or winter tires. Honestly I think the tires are the worst part about the car and why I almost went with the eGolf.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 5, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

my current car has 18's and I hate them. they're loud, harsh, and expensive...but they look cool I guess.

Elviscat posted:

Pictured, actual i3 tire:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

doesn't the i3 run some 22" moon wheel

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

StormDrain posted:

At least he's honest about it.

Yeah, but I told him that's the trade off. You want cool big wheels you gotta pay for tires. It's his DD/work truck so he puts a ton of miles on it, and half the problem with the big wheels is you can't get any tires with decent tread wear, they are all "sport truck" expensive tires with short life spans.

I told him if he went with a 16 or 17 inch wheel the tires would be cheaper and last twice as long. And the ride would be better too with more sidewall, the last thing you want to do to a truck is make the ride worse cuz it sucks already :v:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

doesn't the i3 run some 22" moon wheel

:confused:

Those are 32" diameter, for reference. And a wheelbase of 7.5 ft!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Riding on 32'' Aldrins

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Riding on 32'' Aldrins

Trip-dubs

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Riding on 32'' Aldrins

with a busted, half-assedly repaired fender

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Just don't get caught slippin on the moon, someone will jack your Daytons Aldrins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pazPUnCo3Iw&t=83s

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Worst part about going from the old crusty VW to the i3. On the VW I could get 15" tires with a 70k mile guarantee for the same price as the stupid 19" tires on the i3 that will be lucky to see 15k miles. I hate big wheels on cars.

16"-18" seems to be the sweet spot in terms of availability and cost. Used to be 15". LOL if you need something in 13" (or God forbid, smaller.) Your choices are all-season no-names, or maybe another all-season no-name.
I have a pretty good variety in the 16" tires on the Kia and the Outback, and for the 18s currently on my Crown Vic, in a range of prices, treadwear, and styles, thankfully.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

for older cars a bunch of vintage small tires are being re-released but they're not that cheap

you can get cinturato CN36s new from pirelli, for instance

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I think my old Fiat 124 had 12"s, and the only new tires I could find were Hoosiers.

TotalLossBrain posted:

with a busted, half-assedly repaired fender

I do love that mission control's solution was to duct tape some maps together and clamp them in place using telescope parts.
https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/editorial/duct-tape-auto-repair-moon

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Safety Dance posted:

I think my old Fiat 124 had 12"s, and the only new tires I could find were Hoosiers.
For those first 8 heat cycles I am a god amongst men at the grocery store parking lot

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I got BF Goodrich G-Force Rival S tires for $80 per on a 14 inch wheel for my Miata. My WRX is $150-$250 for a similar performance tire on a 17 inch wheel. I used to run 18x9.5 on the WRX like a hotboi, those were $1000+ per set. gently caress big wheels. It would be great if we could get back to functional sidewalls again. I really like the new charger, but it's stuck with 20 inch wheels and I'm going to avoid it based on tire cost alone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Downside of 17s is there is like nothing real performance wise larger than a 255, you need to go to an 18 for that. But yeah, I agree, gently caress these rubber band tires.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Downside of 17s is there is like nothing real performance wise larger than a 255, you need to go to an 18 for that. But yeah, I agree, gently caress these rubber band tires.

I agree almost as hard as the jolt I took from a pothole that destroyed a tire and bent a 20” wheel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

I agree almost as hard as the jolt I took from a pothole that destroyed a tire and bent a 20” wheel.

I mashed the gently caress out of a 18" wheel last year and killed a 1000 mile PS4 :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, low profile looks good (to a point - I like *some* sidewall) but ride and durability suffer unduly, before you even get into the cost. Almost no passenger vehicle needs 20" wheels, and most don't even really look good with them that big in relation to the size of the car/wheel openings (which is, of course, only my opinion on aesthetics.) I mean, I like Hot Wheels, but the look just doesn't scale up well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I mashed the gently caress out of a 18" wheel last year and killed a 1000 mile PS4 :(

That reminds me that I had a pothole bite one of the 18s (245/45, IIRC) on my CV a couple years ago. Thankfully didn't hurt the wheel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

That reminds me that I had a pothole bite one of the 18s (245/45, IIRC) on my CV a couple years ago. Thankfully didn't hurt the wheel.

I found out that although it's still possible to get a Style 65 wheel from BMW but at minimum it costs $500. I killed the gently caress outta that wheel.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Yep, recently replaced two bad 19" wheels on my Alfa. It actually appears that the previous owner did the damage, ground the tires down through imbalance until rotating masses were "balanced" and then sold it the car. I put another 7,000 buttery smooth miles on the car until I replaced the stock run-flats and the wheel balance went hay-wire. Tried to balance them but they were so out of round the wheels were visibly traveling up and down at speed while balance at the steering wheel felt decent.

So combining lovely bent wheel talk with "people don't fix poo poo" talk. There you go.

Though for sure now I avoid potholes like death. Surprisingly the wheels were only $500 each new from the factory.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Kind of a weird thing. Can't be an expert in everything, but if your car is flying apart is a tad different than not knowing how your aquarium pH balance is going.

I dunno, I kinda get it. I'm complete poo poo at properly adulting with money. Not like I'm always broke or anything, I just hurfed all my money into a checking account until my wife said "you're a loving idiot, why don't you adult better."
I dunno, I just don't care? Can't be bothered to fix it? Don't realize it's bad?
I'm that way with a lot of things, I can see how people are that way with cars.

We're all obsessive about something and can't understand how the rest of the world treats that something with disrespect, but the converse is also true. You don't realize what you don't care about, so you don't know you're doing it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It was an eighth of the way through its tread life anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chrisgt posted:

I dunno, I kinda get it. I'm complete poo poo at properly adulting with money. Not like I'm always broke or anything, I just hurfed all my money into a checking account until my wife said "you're a loving idiot, why don't you adult better."
I dunno, I just don't care? Can't be bothered to fix it? Don't realize it's bad?
I'm that way with a lot of things, I can see how people are that way with cars.

We're all obsessive about something and can't understand how the rest of the world treats that something with disrespect, but the converse is also true. You don't realize what you don't care about, so you don't know you're doing it.

yep, there's only so much you can actually really pay attention to, let alone do for yourself

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yep, there's only so much you can actually really pay attention to, let alone do for yourself

Well, yes, but it seems like maybe one should pay attention to the multi-thousands or ten-thousands machine that makes it possible for one to do stuff like go to work and pay for the aforementioned machine, plus rent/mortgage, food, and other little details. I mean, if you need it for that. Some parts of the world have a reasonable mass transit system.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
My hobby is walking through the Target parking lot looking at tupperware-clad SUVs to see what kind of bizarro cheap tires they found to put on those massive rims after they found out that a set of tires is pushing $800.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Those SUVs are fun to watch during the 3-6 days/year that we get snow here locally. You can get away with those poo poo run-down tires for most of the year in an arid climate.
But rare snow sure does a number on them. Big rear end trucks can't 'even leave their goddamn driveway on those 22's with homemade slicks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Well, yes, but it seems like maybe one should pay attention to the multi-thousands or ten-thousands machine that makes it possible for one to do stuff like go to work and pay for the aforementioned machine, plus rent/mortgage, food, and other little details. I mean, if you need it for that. Some parts of the world have a reasonable mass transit system.

poo poo one would think that it might be beneficial to know how to cook, or to fix any number of things in your house, or adhere to a budget, or responsibly save money, or whatever, and you'd be right - but millions of people don't know how to do that poo poo.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its like 4wd tyres too- You get a lot of higher end 4wds now coming out with 19-20-22" rims on them and it absolutely FUCKS their ability to go offroad.

A Land Rover Discovery 4 with the 19" rims needs you to keep something stupid like 45psi in them at all times or you'll damage them. The 16" rims on my cruiser have 285/75R16 tyres on them and I run around town at 36psi and drive over curbs at 60kph without issue. Last desert trip I did I think i did close to 600km with 14psi in the tyres, zero issues.

Form over function is a load of wank and should be stamped out.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Its like 4wd tyres too- You get a lot of higher end 4wds now coming out with 19-20-22" rims on them and it absolutely FUCKS their ability to go offroad.

A Land Rover Discovery 4 with the 19" rims needs you to keep something stupid like 45psi in them at all times or you'll damage them. The 16" rims on my cruiser have 285/75R16 tyres on them and I run around town at 36psi and drive over curbs at 60kph without issue. Last desert trip I did I think i did close to 600km with 14psi in the tyres, zero issues.

Form over function is a load of wank and should be stamped out.
The vast majority of those vehicles will never see terrain more challenging than a gravel driveway or poorly maintained county road though so I suspect they put on stock what the “discerning consumer” with too much money wants, and that is to look cool and rich.

It’s a hoot when they haphazardly decide to go off-road for the first time. The emergence of towing and recovery YouTube channels is a testament to that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Granted my optics might be skewed since I live in the states, but when Atlanta gets hit with 1/2" of snow time to bust out the popcorn maker.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo one would think that it might be beneficial to know how to cook, or to fix any number of things in your house, or adhere to a budget, or responsibly save money, or whatever, and you'd be right - but millions of people don't know how to do that poo poo.

Almost like stuff like that should be taught in primary education. It sort of was when I was in junior- and high school. I took “Recordkeeping” which taught me how to make a budget, balance a checkbook, and other financial record-keeping stuff. “Keyboarding” (typing class, but on computers, because they were still sorta new in the ‘80s, yes, I’m old), home-ec, and such. We also still had a voc-ed program. I took metal shop, but wood shop and the mechanics shop would have been useful, too.
That’s all gone away, mostly, since it doesn’t count toward the standardized testing required to receive funding.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Granted my optics might be skewed since I live in the states, but when Atlanta gets hit with 1/2" of snow time to bust out the popcorn maker.

Texas, too. It fuckin’ hilarious.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Darchangel posted:

Almost like stuff like that should be taught in primary education. It sort of was when I was in junior- and high school. I took “Recordkeeping” which taught me how to make a budget, balance a checkbook, and other financial record-keeping stuff. “Keyboarding” (typing class, but on computers, because they were still sorta new in the ‘80s, yes, I’m old), home-ec, and such. We also still had a voc-ed program. I took metal shop, but wood shop and the mechanics shop would have been useful, too.
That’s all gone away, mostly, since it doesn’t count toward the standardized testing required to receive funding.

You and I are probably around the same age with same thoughts.

One of the ones that I took was "Small engines". Was great to overhaul a small B&S and have it fire off. Of course I'll probably have various forms of cancer with the condition of the parts washer, painting various farm implements JD Green and Yellow without various forms of PPE but one thing that teacher nailed into our brains was always wear safety glasses.

Of course your snot was JD green for a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Galler posted:

Seems to partially exist already

Cat Detect System
Knowing what's around your 793F at all times is important. The Cat Detect system is factory installed as standard equipment on 793F Mining Trucks. The full Cat Detect system, RADAR AND CAMERA, provides both audible and visual indications of detected objects. This system uses a combination of short and medium range radars which surround the machine, along with cameras on each side to allow the operator to confirm the detected object. The cameras supplement the radar alerts and are selectable by touch screen menus through an intuitive interface.

And Komatsu has KomVision™ All Around Monitoring System

The real poo poo is to just git rid of the operator and go autonomous but I think the mine has to be setup for that and I'm sure there's a bunch of up front costs

Or the simplest possible solution

Just hire some loving flagmen you cheapskates