Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

EBB posted:

Wavparty put out a pack for people like me who have a mild....obsession with the 808

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020/05/01/free-sample-pack-features-busted-808-sounds/

at first i was like what there's more 808 samples than there are 808s, why this? clicked the link and was like ohhhh

and now it is time to start loving around with making a tweaked RD-8 track. i'm closing in on finishing the ms-1–only track, so this will be in queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Samples from Mars is having a contest. Write a two minute song using their drum samples and win an MPC2000XL and/or all their future sample packs.

https://snacks.samplesfrommars.com/mpc2000/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

So Math posted:

Samples from Mars is having a contest. Write a two minute song using their drum samples and win an MPC2000XL and/or all their future sample packs.

https://snacks.samplesfrommars.com/mpc2000/

In case anyone needs a fire under their rear end-

quote:

Submissions will be capped at 1,000 or by May 22nd at 11:30 PM EST

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Man, people are really low-balling on my Minilogue XD. I know they got their stimulus checks... :capitalism:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

a mysterious cloak posted:

Man, people are really low-balling on my Minilogue XD. I know they got their stimulus checks... :capitalism:
And tax returns! ...but they probably all pissed it away on toilet paper (no pun intended).
Hang in there. There's only so many $500 b-stock Minilogues out there. Someone will buy it eventually.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

so i made this, i'm kinda hitting a wall in terms of arrangement, where each decision feels kinda arbitrary and i'm not sure if any changes make much difference. is it just my speakers or is the kick too loud?

anyways, i only used the MS-1 on this with the exception of eq, compression, and reverb, all of which were just stock ableton effects.

https://soundcloud.com/yjk-art/ms-one-and-only

i found the biggest limitations were that i am rear end at designing hihats and that the lfo can't sync to clock. otherwise, the experiment leaves me feeling like i don't really need more than one synth. it doesn't even have to be a polysynth, it was kinda cool having control over each separate track. can't deny the importance of envelopes/lfos or a variety of noise generators, though.

Pillow Face fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 4, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I wonder how many sh101 mods will work with the berhinger clone.

tubbutec's

https://tubbutec.de/sh-1oh1/

this:

http://dl.lojinx.com/analoghell/RolandSH101-NovaMod.pdf

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

the answer involves giving money to behringer, so...

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

The Voice of Labor posted:

tubbutec's

this:

ooh, those would solve all my ms-1 issues, good to know for that day when i am adept with such things

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

perfect circuit has a 10% off modulars right now.. so i bought the techno system

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

:aaaaa:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

perfect circuit has a 10% off modulars right now.. so i bought the techno system

i am so super jealous of you right now

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
New Make Noise product announcement tomorrow. I genuinely hope it's another oscillator, a reverb or something I don't want right now.

Because I just filled a skiff and there's no room left :(

A MIRACLE posted:

Cool :) I'm sure you will have fun. If you have any question about the sequencer or the modules don't hesitate because many things are not super intuitive and not explained well in the documentation. (but it's just some minor things. Overall everything is extremely playable and immediate. The sequencer is a favorite of mine despite minor flaws)

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 4, 2020

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

dug up some recordings from last year and found one where I was playing around on the Reface CS (before I sold it). Got some cool sounds out of that thing

https://soundcloud.com/natively/10-14-2019-2a

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Pillow Face posted:

ooh, those would solve all my ms-1 issues, good to know for that day when i am adept with such things

Opening poo poo up is the first step to understanding it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

A MIRACLE posted:

dug up some recordings from last year and found one where I was playing around on the Reface CS (before I sold it). Got some cool sounds out of that thing

https://soundcloud.com/natively/10-14-2019-2a

ugh staaaahp you're making me want one even more and I can't even afford the CP which is first on my list.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

tubbutec's

this:

I can't speak to the similarities between circuits, though I feel like those shouldn't be too much trouble to add, though perhaps a couple adaptations will be needed, and the Behringer boards are bound to look different, so you'll have to locate the appropriate solder points yourself.

To me the moddability is one of the nice things about the new Behringer clones; feels a lot better mucking about in a $300 clone than on a vintage $1000 they're-not-making-these-anymore synth.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm looking at MIDI thru solutions since I need to get two cables out to the box now. Desired routing is DAW -> Keystep via USB -> Thru Box -> Out. What's I'm seeing for basic models is mostly powered vs unpowered, which I'm guessing means the difference between a buffered signal or not?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

P sure you could power a buffer comfortably off the midi power line.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

oh screw it i can just built that

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
In case people are interested in the wonderful world of iPad music making:

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has the 32gb iPad for $249 and 128gb for $329 FYI.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

MakeNoise just wrecked my YouTube feed with another confusingly powerful module.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

magiccarpet posted:

MakeNoise just wrecked my YouTube feed with another confusingly powerful module.

*checks youtube

oh snap

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

New Make Noise product announcement tomorrow. I genuinely hope it's another oscillator, a reverb or something I don't want right now.

Because I just filled a skiff and there's no room left :(

The bad news is a sequencer/controller with gate outputs is what I wanted the most to pair with the Harmonic Oscillator (also I already sold my Pressure points)

The good news is this is stand alone like the 0 coast.

There's no way I'm not pre-ordering this

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Are there any good resources on what goes into publishing/selling an album? I’ve been looking into Distrokid and having CDs printed up, but I was thinking there might be more to it. Assuming it doesn’t cost hundreds upon hundreds of dollars, of course.

Ok Comboomer posted:

In case people are interested in the wonderful world of iPad music making:

Ah gently caress, I just paid $29 for my 128gb iPad. I can vouch for it being great though, nice big screen and it plays really well with my Minilab, and it has a headphone port! Way better than using my phone. Fair warning though, if you’re getting an Apple Pencil go for the 1, the 2 only works with the iPad Pro.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The bad news is a sequencer/controller with gate outputs is what I wanted the most to pair with the Harmonic Oscillator (also I already sold my Pressure points)

The good news is this is stand alone like the 0 coast.

There's no way I'm not pre-ordering this

It's pretty cool but honestly it's not that big of a progression from Brains + 2x Pressure Points. It has a clock built in which is the most annoying weak point with Brains, and the Time row is interesting, but I'm curious if that then becomes quantized to the nearest 8th/16th note if you use an external clock? The variable strength gate is interesting but they said in the video that there's not much stuff out there that uses one (and you could just do the same thing with a VCA and a channel on Pressure Points).

It definitely has more features rolled in, but ultimately seems less flexible than the old version since I don't think you're free to patch the time/strength channels out to whatever other mod source you want :shrug:

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Ortazel posted:

It's pretty cool but honestly it's not that big of a progression from Brains + 2x Pressure Points. It has a clock built in which is the most annoying weak point with Brains, and the Time row is interesting, but I'm curious if that then becomes quantized to the nearest 8th/16th note if you use an external clock? The variable strength gate is interesting but they said in the video that there's not much stuff out there that uses one (and you could just do the same thing with a VCA and a channel on Pressure Points).

It definitely has more features rolled in, but ultimately seems less flexible than the old version since I don't think you're free to patch the time/strength channels out to whatever other mod source you want :shrug:

Yeah I feel pretty similar, I guess the appeal is that it works nicely outside of eurorack and specifically with the 0coast.

Makes me glad I sold my 0coast to a friend who is getting better use out of it than I did, because if I still had it I would definitely be tempted. Otherwise though it's not blowing my mind.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This might last me a month.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
something burned up on my niftycase i/o board and now their CS went dark on me

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

It's like a baby Analog Solutions Generator

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Coffee And Pie posted:

Are there any good resources on what goes into publishing/selling an album?
friend of mine uses kunaki to handle bandcamp orders: https://kunaki.com/home.asp it's largely automated and can even handle the entire process without your involvement if you set up their store on your page (it handles payments, pays itself to print the copy and send it to the client then sends the rest to you) but there's also barely any human support if you get stuck on some part

as for publishing in spotify there's plenty of services that act as a label on your behalf, I've used LANDR's publishing service (requires subscription) and RouteNote (one album per month in the free tier, sounds good unless you want to upload your entire back catalog, then you need to pace it out), the only problem I had was bad capitalization of song titles on Apple Music

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ortazel posted:

Oh definitely.

It's just as said I sold my PP and came to regret it, and now the rack is full. Also I like that it's outside of the rack. It's a touch controller so it's more convenient. That and they probably fixed the touchplates issues from PP

Definitely not a game changer, but still appealing to me.

If this wasn't available I would probably free a few HP for a Voltage Multistage

But maybe I'll resist the call :)

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 6, 2020

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Jumped on a sweetwater (?lol) demo deal of the eventide euroddl. It’s definitely a delay line, there’s little in the way of creature comforts or things you’d expect from a modern delay. Would’ve been nice to have attenuators on the inputs.
Sounds great though, of course, takes modulation well, you can do KS, flanging, chorus. Boost circuit and filter sound good. FX send to a funky filter is fun, I’ve been using formant filter in the loop.
One thing I don’t like is the current draw, thing is so thirsty it was making my old doepfer linear psu brown out. :science:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1258059029735186434?s=20

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Robots don't die :colbert:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
The next Kraftwerk album is just going to be called Ralf

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
I have a Minilogue hooked up to my audio interface. If I were to get a Mutable Instruments Clouds module and a little powered rack, plus a few patch cables, would that be enough gear to run my synth through the module? Is there any other module that's absolutely necessary? I want to get into Eurorack, I know an effects thingy is probably a weird place to start, but I already have a fun synth and limited funds.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
There's some care necessary because eurorack uses a much higher voltage than line level audio. You'll want an audio input/output module to convert between the devices.

Edit: Here's one solution: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ai006-kit/

So Math fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 7, 2020

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Empire State posted:

I have a Minilogue hooked up to my audio interface. If I were to get a Mutable Instruments Clouds module and a little powered rack, plus a few patch cables, would that be enough gear to run my synth through the module? Is there any other module that's absolutely necessary? I want to get into Eurorack, I know an effects thingy is probably a weird place to start, but I already have a fun synth and limited funds.

Clouds is really awesome and I've been wanting one forever, but I would say that you might want to investigate a guitar pedal, even a pricey one, that could get you somewhere close. The reason I say is mostly if you're concerned with funds, there's the cliche of people buying one module and then getting into full blown eurorack addiction, and it's totally true. I'm in the middle of it. It happens because once you get the idea of how it works and that the possibilities with it just increase with more modules it seems crazy to not go for them. It depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve sound-wise, and what kind of workflow you are looking for, but the Minilogue sounds awesome through pedals. A cheap option would be a Zoom multistomp, but you could have tons of options with a Strymon, Empress (the ZOIA basically is a self contained modular unit), the Organelle by Critter & Guitari does some really wild effects processing (it even has a Clouds patch) and you get the added benefit of it being a synth/swiss army knife type of unit. It might seem like each one is more expensive, but eurorack really does have a way of adding up and feeding GAS.

That's just the angel on my shoulder btw, who is totally lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
There's also a port of the Clouds firmware in VCV Rack, under the name "Texture Synthesizer" https://vcvrack.com/AudibleInstruments

I've given up on VCV Rack since it doesn't play nice with my laptop, but if it works for you, you can keep your physical setup the same and do all the FX on your computer.