Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cognac McCarthy posted:

, but maybe there's no getting around that big root on the very right side of the frame.

Every woodland shot is gonna have a compromise somewhere.

Wafflecopper posted:

I find having a path, stream, or some other sort of gap in the wood helps to give the shot some structure. Some old ones of mine that are probably reposts but serve as examples:

And the light. Backlit or sidelit stuff looks great. Which all three of the shots you posted make use of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Some photos from my first trip outside the neighbourhood in 6+ weeks, not super thrilled with the results so far but I had a blast taking them at least.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Blackhawk posted:

Some photos from my first trip outside the neighbourhood in 6+ weeks, not super thrilled with the results so far but I had a blast taking them at least.

Nice. I really like the geometry in the first one.

Branching

Mountain SP

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Curious what people use focusing wise for standard landscapes shots. I was following the “focus a third of the way in” because I read it on the internet but focusing on the furthest thing you want in focus seems to be popular as well. Planning on trying out a bunch of techniques when I can get out at some point as well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think it's worth obsessing about unless your foreground objects are extremely close to the lens, in which case you'll want to focus stack.

For everything else I let the camera sort it out. If I got the tripod out and have lots of time I'll use live view and manually focus but tbh once it's all in lightroom I can never distinguish between MF or AF.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Quinch posted:

Curious what people use focusing wise for standard landscapes shots. I was following the “focus a third of the way in” because I read it on the internet but focusing on the furthest thing you want in focus seems to be popular as well. Planning on trying out a bunch of techniques when I can get out at some point as well.

Assuming that your goal with focusing is to get the maximum amount of the frame in focus, then the correct answer is to focus at the hyperfocal distance. There are calculator apps that will tell you the hyperfocal distance if you plug in your sensor, focal length and aperture. Then all you need do is either dial that distance in to your focusing scale, or eyeball something you reckon is about that distance and manually focus on that.

In practice, I usually pick a landmark that's going to draw the eye and manually focus on it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I think this actually works pretty well, something about the fallen trees in the foreground and the two framing trees with so many more behind them pulls me in and provides the depth that's hard with forests. To me, the framing feels a little off on the right side though, but maybe there's no getting around that big root on the very right side of the frame.

Thanks. I've walked past this many times and the old fallen tree has always drawn me in. This was a 'test' shot with my Bronica, the plan is to go back there with the 4x5 which should give me far more depth.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Another shot from the same morning, looks like I managed to under-expose this one a bit, either that or my developer is dead (which is more likely)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

Another shot from the same morning, looks like I managed to under-expose this one a bit, either that or my developer is dead (which is more likely)

I for one like that there is more blue in the sky than in the other images, and I get a pleasant dusk/dawn vibe from it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Quinch
Oct 21, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

Assuming that your goal with focusing is to get the maximum amount of the frame in focus, then the correct answer is to focus at the hyperfocal distance. There are calculator apps that will tell you the hyperfocal distance if you plug in your sensor, focal length and aperture. Then all you need do is either dial that distance in to your focusing scale, or eyeball something you reckon is about that distance and manually focus on that.

In practice, I usually pick a landmark that's going to draw the eye and manually focus on it.

Thanks, I’ve read about the hyperfocal distance stuff before. I guess trying a bunch of techniques out is the way to go initially.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Waikuku

Waikuku

Waikuku

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Kaiapoi

Kaiapoi

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Love the colours and contrast

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Love the colours and contrast

Thanks!

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Went back for those taxis with a camera I'm more comfortable with and a tripod.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Nice

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Desert Swirl

Mineral Pool

Misty Peaks 2

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

This is awesome. Great picture.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Two shots from this weekend that didn't turn out so well, posting here so I can do some self critique.

In this one I had hoped to use the rocks in the sand to lead the eye to the distant cliff and the placement of the rocks would mirror the S-curve of the reflection in the wet sand. I think that kinda works but the problem is that the cliffs aren't that interesting because the lighting on them is flat as a tack, so I'm just directing your eye to look at something boring. Also they're way off to the top side of the frame so I'm just making people look outwards from the picture which sucks. To make matters worse there's nothing in the sky so it's also boring empty space and that means there's too much weight on the left side of the frame. Also the foreground rocks are too dark and lack detail, the dynamic range of the scene was too much for the film (I should probably have over-exposed the sky a bit more, could have helped).

This one looked so much different to me in person than it does in the final photo, really it's just a mess. There's not really any clear subject, there's not really anything leading your eye anywhere, in person there seemed to be a much clearer path leading your eye towards the dark caves but in the photo that doesn't show well at all. Again there's way too much weight on one side of the frame both physically and light levels and a boring-arse sky, my eye just scoots right out of the frame and doesn't look back. I like the texture in the rock but that's about it.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Blackhawk posted:

Two shots from this weekend that didn't turn out so well, posting here so I can do some self critique.

In this one I had hoped to use the rocks in the sand to lead the eye to the distant cliff and the placement of the rocks would mirror the S-curve of the reflection in the wet sand. I think that kinda works but the problem is that the cliffs aren't that interesting because the lighting on them is flat as a tack, so I'm just directing your eye to look at something boring. Also they're way off to the top side of the frame so I'm just making people look outwards from the picture which sucks. To make matters worse there's nothing in the sky so it's also boring empty space and that means there's too much weight on the left side of the frame. Also the foreground rocks are too dark and lack detail, the dynamic range of the scene was too much for the film (I should probably have over-exposed the sky a bit more, could have helped).

This one looked so much different to me in person than it does in the final photo, really it's just a mess. There's not really any clear subject, there's not really anything leading your eye anywhere, in person there seemed to be a much clearer path leading your eye towards the dark caves but in the photo that doesn't show well at all. Again there's way too much weight on one side of the frame both physically and light levels and a boring-arse sky, my eye just scoots right out of the frame and doesn't look back. I like the texture in the rock but that's about it.

Just need to get the better light, morning or evening or a storm etc.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A few recent shots from around town.

DSCF1415 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF1440 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF1448 (2) by King Dugga, on Flickr

DSCF1427 by King Dugga, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
This has a really pleasing composition and contrasting colours!

Nice, I love photos like this.

One from just before the world locked down

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Pretty Cool Name fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 18, 2020

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

EVERYTHING IS FINE by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

EVERYTHING IS FINE II by Michael Garbutt, on Flickr

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Silo by Aves Lux, on Flickr

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Awatoto by Marc, on Flickr

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Raikyn posted:

real nice

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Raikyn posted:

Very yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Raikyn posted:

Really like it.