Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

DO SOMETHING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Far too many patients hospitalized with COVID-19 in Georgia are black, new CDC data shows — a staggering 83%

gee i wonder why Kemp was so eager to get the state open again.

shutdown hospitals or poorer ones with less protective gear, fewer social services in the same situation being overloaded. defacto segregation working as intended.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Please please please reopen churches I lust for mass chud death

nice folks go to church too silly

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

Chicago subreddit melting down at JB's technocrat plan to gradually reopen illinois based on numbers, they are threatening to "cancel" their leases and move to a non-lockdown state like Texas or Florida.

The astroturfing has gotten out of hand

Although the process is extremely painful America will be much happier after balkanization.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

charters but on zoom

Homeless Friend posted:

still lollin about 'gates is bad, but' that happened last month or w/e

lol what idiots were defending him?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

worldometer is showing a big spiky in deaths today

i think we were rocking a steady 3-4k for the last couple of days and today looks like we might close in on about six thousand

and of course, in about three weeks or we can forget about all the work we did when america Bigly Works Hard

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1257826531142807552

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

misleading title and premise. dude was working on covid like basically every research scientist who thinks they can spin their speciality into a grant application, and 'on the verge of a breakthrough' like every scientist is at all times.

was probably just banging the murderer's wife

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

:laffo:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

Everyone, even good sources I listen to are like "well it's getting better slowly," the numbers today are almost exactly the same as a week ago. We're on like an oddly stable plateau.

NYC is ramping down and several other places are ramping up creating an unstable plateau. I expect this to change shortly as the other outbreak areas take off and we relax distancing measures.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

snoo posted:

DO SOMETHING!

its cinco de mayo have u tried some delicious mexican themed food and alcohol?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

really excellent opportunity for some life-saving direct action here. nice, big plate glass opportunity.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

overmind2000 posted:

With only Biden left Tulsi finally has a path to victory

DNC is probably already planning to reach across the aisle by having Gabbard as the VP. A gesture that will inevitably end in humiliation.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

snoo posted:

DO SOMETHING!

we are, it's just not the right thing

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

cash crab posted:

worldometer is showing a big spiky in deaths today

i think we were rocking a steady 3-4k for the last couple of days and today looks like we might close in on about six thousand

and of course, in about three weeks or we can forget about all the work we did when america Bigly Works Hard

Literally every Tuesday for the past 6 weeks has been like this. Tuesday has the most deaths reported. Everyone proclaims it is over on Saturday -> Monday and then on Tuesday: bam, back to a ton of new deaths.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

60% holy loving god this is a genocide

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1257834595711582213

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I wish someone would tell me how their constitution was being ignored.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

seattle plague rat posted:

if estrogen inhibits il6 we shuld be administering large amount s to the biggest & most aggressive coughing boomers

soy's back on the menu, [strikethrough]boys[/strikethrough]

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

cash crab posted:

we are, it's just not the right thing

Winston Churchill posted:

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

mystes
May 31, 2006

snoo posted:

DO SOMETHING!
You sound stressed. Maybe you should have a nice dinner party for relaxation?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

quote:

With beaches and the boardwalk in Ocean City, Maryland, set to reopen this weekend, visitors from out of the area are encouraged to continue following a statewide stay-at-home order — but police will not be checking license plates or otherwise restricting visitors to one of the state’s most popular summer destinations, Mayor Rick Meehan said Tuesday.

Meehan said his declaration reopening the beaches and boardwalk on May 9 does not supersede Gov. Larry Hogan’s stay-at-home directive ordered last month to slow the spread of the new coronavirus.

“At this time, you should only travel to Ocean City if doing so would not be in violation of the governor’s specific stay-at-home order,” Meehan said during a news briefing Tuesday morning.

But the mayor said he still expected some visitors from outside the Ocean City area would still travel there when the beaches reopen.

“Quite honestly, they’ve probably been coming here already,” he said.

:ok:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

medical updates from the poorest county in the nation with a population over 10k!

i am not madjackal, i am not covid frontline. instead i am getting to see what this has done to a poor community.

im doing a rotation for family medicine here. the clinic is small; it only has 7 beds. the regional hospital closed two years ago. we can't do any serious labs, and anything more complicated than an xray requires a 30 minute trip down to crossville.

75% of my patients are over 50 but look 70. All have chronic lung conditions and diabetes. All are smokers with terrible diets. Every single one is on a statin, an ace/arb, and metformin. All of them have to use the generics because they can't afford anything else.

we don't let them come into the clinic all at once. patients sit in their cars until their number is up, then a nurse brings them in. outside is just rows of beat down buicks and absurd trucks the driver likely owes more on than its worth. we don't know what we'll do when it gets hot; none of the patients can afford to burn the gas to keep the AC going, but they'll all get heat stroke if they sit in their cars. it's a future problem.

none have savings. all are paycheck to paycheck. there's no industry in this town. there's a shipping plant some 30 miles away but i don't think any of them work there. most of my patients around my age work in home health or as a cna. one told me today she worked a 122 hour shift last week at a retirement home because she missed the week before with a fever. she's taking care of her husband who has stage 4 chf, and is hoping soon to get her medical billing license so she can work from home and take better care of them.

They all ask me if they think this is as bad as the news makes it out to be. They ask me if they're being lied too. I've been telling them all it's worse. I don't know if I can do that anymore. These people have loving nothing. We mock people in this thread, but imagine someone on a fixed income living in a dilapidated house that the bank is just waiting to pounce on. Obviously they don't need to go out; none of these peopel would survive covid, but christ your heart melts.

speaking of meeting places, there's only two joints open in this town. Tennessee has done a weird soft open for restaurants as long as every other table is empty. One of the two places is called the Fresh Market. it's in a chevron gas station. I went there for lunch yesterday with my classmate. we were wearing scrubs.

they wouldn't let us pay for the meal. somebody in there had comped it. we were gonna get it to go but i told him we had to stay in and eat it there or else we it might look ungrateful. I actually got a pretty good salad. When we left, someone near the store stood up and thanked us.

The other open restaurant is on the other end of main street and is called west end diner. it's just an open space with some foldout tables pushed together. at the front there's a small counter with a register. the walls are empty except for random religious nick knacks like you get from wal mart. I got a cup of coffee there this morning. everyone stopped talking when i walked in. there was no music playing.

every other store on the main street is closed except for the store that sells flower bouquets. people don't stop dying. there's an american flag bouquet in the front window.

the wal mart is bad here. the parking lot lights don't work. no one parks in the spaces anyway. it's the town's only grocery store. there was a discount food place, but that's had to close since all the restaurants closed too. the wal mart is out of beef; i managed to score some cubed beef tonight which was one of the last things on the shelf. there's no rice. there's no cleaning supplies.

when im waiting in line, an attractive woman a little older than me says hello to someone else. She stands out. her body has all the right shapes, and not in a demeaning way. just that everyone else around her has osteoarthritis, or is so obese they kinda lose their form. Not this one. her hair has been combed. she has a good smile. she's literally glowing, like standing out among everyone else. she's beautiful.

"can't wait to see you back at church," she says to someone else. the person she's talking to is skinny, greasy haired, can't meet her gaze.

"yeah, i've been watching on youtube, what gets streamed." he's rubbing his arms. i can see the marks from across the self check out area. some are fresh. when you're malnourished you don't heal very well, especially when you're pumping meth into your arms. he's buying a case of mountain dew.

she just smiles at him, then offers to help someone else she sees from church.

on the way out i see a man completely hunched forward. he's leaning on his shopping cart for support. he's not as old as he looks. a red maga hat pulled low, uncut hair sprawling, "proud to be a deplorable" on his shirt. he can barely walk. he's bow legged and his shoes are falling apart.

this town isn't dying, it's dead. it was supported by a small group of people spending what little they could scratch and save, what little they got in fixed income, what little they could borrow from family, to keep a pitiful little economy going. no money was coming in here before. it was just swirling in a circle, like when you pull the plug on a drain. and that last bit seems to spin and spin, and then suddenly it vanishes. and it never comes back.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

<Jaws music plays>

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

https://twitter.com/AlyssiaByrd13/status/1257492660933332992

beaten but posting again mainly for the photo in the first tweet, of the old couple sitting in the wrecked Caddy just staring straight ahead stunned

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

why the gently caress is the L in salmon silent?

gently caress you

gently caress every last limey

English sucks
Reading about it, it seems like it was saumon for most of English history but then they added in the silent l to make it look more like Latin.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Tweet is gone

I did get this tweet to as a companion to it though as it shows why they're OK with it being genocide.

https://twitter.com/imillhiser/status/1257708274583027714

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

May 5th Cum. Deaths Update

C-SPAM University Model vs Epidemiologists:

C-SPAM vs C-SPAM:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

this is the kind of uplifting news I come here for

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

takes tremendous (nicotine, not weed) vape hit

blows tremendous (nicotine, not weed) cloud

:smugdog:

lol remember that big vape panic last year

lol people still hoping the election fixes anything?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Inceltown posted:

Tweet is gone

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

That scene with the Doth'raki at the end of GoT, but it's boomers with homemade signs instead of fiery scythes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fosborb posted:

https://www.kcci.com/amp/article/vice-president-mike-pence-to-visit-des-moines-friday/32381649

lol Pence is getting sent to Des Moines Friday to try to convince religious leaders to reopen

Gov Reynolds has already said it's okay for churches to hold services though granted her own church remains online only

I do wonder who would open. I know a bunch of people who would go because it is what they are supposed to do. It is hosed up.

GATES FOUNDATION
Apr 28, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 years!

FizFashizzle posted:

medical updates from the poorest county in the nation with a population over 10k!

i am not madjackal, i am not covid frontline. instead i am getting to see what this has done to a poor community.

im doing a rotation for family medicine here. the clinic is small; it only has 7 beds. the regional hospital closed two years ago. we can't do any serious labs, and anything more complicated than an xray requires a 30 minute trip down to crossville.

75% of my patients are over 50 but look 70. All have chronic lung conditions and diabetes. All are smokers with terrible diets. Every single one is on a statin, an ace/arb, and metformin. All of them have to use the generics because they can't afford anything else.

we don't let them come into the clinic all at once. patients sit in their cars until their number is up, then a nurse brings them in. outside is just rows of beat down buicks and absurd trucks the driver likely owes more on than its worth. we don't know what we'll do when it gets hot; none of the patients can afford to burn the gas to keep the AC going, but they'll all get heat stroke if they sit in their cars. it's a future problem.

none have savings. all are paycheck to paycheck. there's no industry in this town. there's a shipping plant some 30 miles away but i don't think any of them work there. most of my patients around my age work in home health or as a cna. one told me today she worked a 122 hour shift last week at a retirement home because she missed the week before with a fever. she's taking care of her husband who has stage 4 chf, and is hoping soon to get her medical billing license so she can work from home and take better care of them.

They all ask me if they think this is as bad as the news makes it out to be. They ask me if they're being lied too. I've been telling them all it's worse. I don't know if I can do that anymore. These people have loving nothing. We mock people in this thread, but imagine someone on a fixed income living in a dilapidated house that the bank is just waiting to pounce on. Obviously they don't need to go out; none of these peopel would survive covid, but christ your heart melts.

speaking of meeting places, there's only two joints open in this town. Tennessee has done a weird soft open for restaurants as long as every other table is empty. One of the two places is called the Fresh Market. it's in a chevron gas station. I went there for lunch yesterday with my classmate. we were wearing scrubs.

they wouldn't let us pay for the meal. somebody in there had comped it. we were gonna get it to go but i told him we had to stay in and eat it there or else we it might look ungrateful. I actually got a pretty good salad. When we left, someone near the store stood up and thanked us.

The other open restaurant is on the other end of main street and is called west end diner. it's just an open space with some foldout tables pushed together. at the front there's a small counter with a register. the walls are empty except for random religious nick knacks like you get from wal mart. I got a cup of coffee there this morning. everyone stopped talking when i walked in. there was no music playing.

every other store on the main street is closed except for the store that sells flower bouquets. people don't stop dying. there's an american flag bouquet in the front window.

the wal mart is bad here. the parking lot lights don't work. no one parks in the spaces anyway. it's the town's only grocery store. there was a discount food place, but that's had to close since all the restaurants closed too. the wal mart is out of beef; i managed to score some cubed beef tonight which was one of the last things on the shelf. there's no rice. there's no cleaning supplies.

when im waiting in line, an attractive woman a little older than me says hello to someone else. She stands out. her body has all the right shapes, and not in a demeaning way. just that everyone else around her has osteoarthritis, or is so obese they kinda lose their form. Not this one. her hair has been combed. she has a good smile. she's literally glowing, like standing out among everyone else. she's beautiful.

"can't wait to see you back at church," she says to someone else. the person she's talking to is skinny, greasy haired, can't meet her gaze.

"yeah, i've been watching on youtube, what gets streamed." he's rubbing his arms. i can see the marks from across the self check out area. some are fresh. when you're malnourished you don't heal very well, especially when you're pumping meth into your arms. he's buying a case of mountain dew.

on the way out i see a man completely hunched forward. he's leaning on his shopping cart for support. he's not as old as he looks. a red maga hat pulled low, uncut hair sprawling, "proud to be a deplorable" on his shirt. he can barely walk. he's bow legged and his shoes are falling apart.

this town isn't dying, it's dead. it was supported by a small group of people spending what little they could scratch and save, what little they got in fixed income, what little they could borrow from family, to keep a pitiful little economy going. no money was coming in here before. it was just swirling in a circle, like when you pull the plug on a drain. and that last bit seems to spin and spin, and then suddenly it vanishes. and it never comes back.

drat chief, I'm reading secondhand time, the oral history of late stage USSR and you could've transposed this story from 2020 rural tennessee to any post-soviet company town where the state owned factory shut in 1992 and it would be the same

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thanks, it looks like he redid it a bit

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1257839485817098240

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I wish someone would tell me how their constitution was being ignored.

I think I figured it out...

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
incredible stuff fizfashizzle thank you for sharing

it doesn't sound like covid is making much of an impact honestly, things seem so bad that a global pandemic barely moves the needle

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

got any sevens posted:

lol people still hoping the election fixes anything?

I'm just wondering what the elderly voting numbers are going to be.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

FizFashizzle posted:

This is a quote from a dystopian novel not a reality and you can't make me believe otherwise.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1257749349477597185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1257797683558875138