Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

skewetoo posted:

French hospital discovers Covid-19 case from December
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/french-hospital-discovers-covid-19-case-december-retested

He said the patient had survived and that a first investigation to trace the first contamination had been carried out.

“He was sick for 15 days and infected his two children, but not his wife, who works in a supermarket,” he said.

“He was amazed. He didn’t understand how he had been infected. We put the puzzle together and he had not made any trips. The only contact that he had was with his wife.”

:stonklol:

idk why i quoted this but i prolly just wanted to laugh at it. lol.

like seriously lol.

oh no sniped:
https://i.imgur.com/jgD6WNr.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

is the mental health pearl clutching on the news just consent manufacturing so we can 👏OPEN👏IT👏UP👏?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

eric ciaramella posted:

2020 has been an awful year so far, one of the absolute worst

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1257899080254058498?s=19

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
quick rebrand. this one makes me feel better when i preview it, i don't know why

https://public.tableau.com/views/RealGoodCovidTracker/CovidDashboard?:display_count=y&publish=yes&:origin=viz_share_link

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

ah that's a good color

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Haha that's funny, probably won't include the daily 9/11s and Benghazis on the one I make but lmao

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

kater posted:

idk why i quoted this but i prolly just wanted to laugh at it. lol.

like seriously lol.

oh no sniped:
https://i.imgur.com/jgD6WNr.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szqNmefKXxc

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

chin up son, there’s still 7 months to go! would a re-election lift your spirits?

trump's gut fuckin' nails it. final CFR less than .2%. trumpbuxx program pushed into november and trump fuckin' rolls over biden's rotting corpse and into a very cool and legal 2nd term. when trump is sworn in, adrenochrome children start piling off busses in the inauguration and confirm that donald trump saved them from the deep state during the GREAT DEMOCRAT COVID 19 HOAX

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Marzzle posted:

trump's gut fuckin' nails it. final CFR less than .2%. trumpbuxx program pushed into november and trump fuckin' rolls over biden's rotting corpse and into a very cool and legal 2nd term. when trump is sworn in, adrenochrome children start piling off busses in the inauguration and confirm that donald trump saved them from the deep state during the GREAT DEMOCRAT COVID 19 HOAX

He finally locks her up

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Marzzle posted:

is the mental health pearl clutching on the news just consent manufacturing so we can 👏OPEN👏IT👏UP👏?

What? No. No work = Death. Don't you remember back during The Great Depression when everyone killed themselves? What could people possibly have to live for if not their bosses and access to Applebees?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus/index.html

quote:

Trump pivots hard away from fight against unvanquished pandemic

President Donald Trump wants to move on. "Wartime" leadership in a national crisis no longer fits his political timetable.

No matter that coronavirus cases are rising in many states and that governors are ignoring his guidelines about when it's safe to open. Trump is shrugging off warnings by scientists that the easing restrictions taking place across the country could cause tens of thousands of deaths.
The White House gave its clearest sign yet Tuesday, just less than six months from Election Day and as the US death toll topped 70,000, that it is moving from pandemic management to a message of revival and an aggressive pitch for a second term. And Trump is thwarting oversight efforts of how he and his administration responded to the pandemic that could reveal failures that worsened the outbreak.

Trump is just gonna pretend coronavirus isn't there anymore, just like Tiffany

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

spaceblancmange posted:

He finally locks her up

aliens revealed. infinite energy gifted to humanity. trump's space force unites the galaxy

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Marzzle posted:

aliens revealed. infinite energy gifted to humanity. trump's space force unites the galaxy

Obama's Kenyan birth certificate is found

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eighty-four merc posted:

can't be posted enough

got the stuff to make fridge magnets in yesterday, decided I definitely want this on my fridge

yes I know my camera is dog poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Flesh Forge posted:

so, Texas has had 33,573 cases vs 935 deaths = 2.78% CFR, which is still really suspiciously out of line with all the other states with a lot of cases (even Florida)
related, RIP BNO I liked you

yeah the really abnormally low fatality rate has bothered me for a long while now, even more once it came out that Florida really is interfering with death count.

oh and Texas has an economic incentive to publish their deaths for the unclaimed property (retirement accounts) alone, so it will at least eventually happen.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The actual reason Trump thought up Space Force is because he wants to carve his name in the moon like Chairface Chippendale.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Im glad new jersey did a pretty decent job locking down when things got bad only to gently caress it all up in the end

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

skewetoo posted:

French hospital discovers Covid-19 case from December
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/french-hospital-discovers-covid-19-case-december-retested

He said the patient had survived and that a first investigation to trace the first contamination had been carried out.

“He was sick for 15 days and infected his two children, but not his wife, who works in a supermarket,” he said.

“He was amazed. He didn’t understand how he had been infected. We put the puzzle together and he had not made any trips. The only contact that he had was with his wife.”

:stonklol:

lol if this legit then i definitely had it this past winter. right around dec 30 i came down with an illness that had basically every symptom minus the shortness of breath. high fever that lasted a good long while and never really broke, kicked my rear end completely and left me unable to taste or smell for a good two weeks. half my extended family all got sick around the same time and we had all just been together for a post christmas get-together cool!!!!!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

spaceblancmange posted:

Obama's Kenyan birth certificate is found

my kids start calling me, telling me how right I was all along. They tell me how I can come to thanksgiving again and really speak my mind about whats wrong with gender in athletics today.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

empty whippet box posted:

got the stuff to make fridge magnets in yesterday, decided I definitely want this on my fridge

yes I know my camera is dog poo poo

i got blocked on twitter by the real big dog company for asking them where i could buy one of the 9/11 shirts lol

there were some boomers in the comments who thought it was real

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Lacrosse posted:

Dang that's rough I'm sorry. :( It was hard enough to find my therapist and it was good for a while since insurance covered it so I only had to pay $30/wk out of pocket but then she decided fighting with insurance wasn't worth it and stopped taking it so I had to drop it due to the price.

If it helps, this is the website I used to find her originally. You can search by zip code and insurance provider: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

I went to sleep but my cat woke me up and I saw this tks

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Marzzle posted:

my kids start calling me, telling me how right I was all along. They tell me how I can come to thanksgiving again and really speak my mind about whats wrong with gender in athletics today.

Barron takes over when his father, still in office, dies aged 106.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Not being able to buy meat is going to be some tipping point in the American consciousness like when sports got cancelled in March.

*me, screaming out my window at the top of my lungs, banging on a pot as i finally realize and accept it * "the mcrib is never coming back!!!"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

i got blocked on twitter by the real big dog company for asking them where i could buy one of the 9/11 shirts lol

there were some boomers in the comments who thought it was real

twitter is a hosed up platform but it brings me some joy to know psychotic old boomers flipped out at big dog's corporate twitter account

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

covid stuck me with some insanely sweet apples. idk whats going on but this is the sweetest apple I've had for a while

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

How could big dog do this to me?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

this paper that had a news article or two yesterday:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.29.069054v1

is fascinating to me as a non-scientist who knows little, but likes to read anyway:

quote:

We have developed an analysis pipeline to facilitate real-time mutation tracking in SARS-CoV-2, focusing initially on the Spike (S) protein because it mediates infection of human cells and is the target of most vaccine strategies and antibody-based therapeutics. To date we have identified fourteen mutations in Spike that are accumulating. Mutations are considered in a broader phylogenetic context, geographically, and over time, to provide an early warning system to reveal mutations that may confer selective advantages in transmission or resistance to interventions. Each one is evaluated for evidence of positive selection, and the implications of the mutation are explored through structural modeling. The mutation Spike D614G is of urgent concern; it began spreading in Europe in early February, and when introduced to new regions it rapidly becomes the dominant form. Also, we present evidence of recombination between locally circulating strains, indicative of multiple strain infections. These finding have important implications for SARS-CoV-2 transmission, pathogenesis and immune interventions.

as you can go on nextstrain.org and see the shift from aspartic acid to glycine at this one point in the genetic sequence for the spike protein that binds to the human cell receptors become very prevalent in US samples:

(blue-green is the original aspartic/D version, yellow is the newer glycine/G version)

https://dev.nextstrain.org/ncov/global?branchLabel=clade&c=gt-S_614&r=location

parts from the paper i thought were worth noting as a layperson:

quote:

In Europe, where the G614 first began its expansion, the D614 and G614 forms were co-circulating early in the epidemic, with D614 more common in most sampled countries, the exceptions being Italy and Switzerland (Fig. 2A). Through March, G614 became increasingly common throughout Europe, and by April it dominated contemporary sampling (Fig. 2 and 3). In North America, infections were initiated and established across the continent by the original D614 form, but in early March, the G614 was introduced into both Canada and the USA, and by the end of March it had become the dominant form in both nations.

[...]

Thus, based on currently available information, there are several ways the D614G mutation may impact Spike’s infectivity: it may improve receptor binding, fusion activation, or ADE antibody elicitation. Another mechanism for the shift to the G614 form at later times points migh tsimplybe through antigenic drift mediating antibody escape.If the D614G mutation in SARS-CoV-2 was impacting neutralizing antibody sensitivity as well as, or instead of, the ADE activity observed in the SARS-CoV study,D614G could also be mediating escape that makes individuals susceptible to a second infection.

[...]

There was, however, no significant correlation found between D614G status and hospitalization status; although the G614 mutation was slightly enriched among the ICU subjects, this was not statistically significant (Fig. 5C).

[...]

While D614G did not predict hospitalization, there was a significant shift in cycle threshold to fewer PCR cycles being required for detectionamong the group that carried G614 relative to D614 (Fig. 5D). This indicated that patients carrying the G614 mutation had higher viral loads (Wilcoxon p = 0.003, median 23.1, IR 19.5-26.6, versus median 24.9, IR 21.2-27.6). This comparison is limited by uncertainty regarding the time from infection at which sample was taken, and by the fact that PCR is an indirect measure of viral load; still it is notable that despite these limitations, a significant difference was observed.

so i recorded the nextstrain tracking page with nin's covid-themed (i think?) 'the cursed clock':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVqIlcujNlk

Crusader has issued a correction as of 07:11 on May 6, 2020

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Solarin posted:

How could big dog do this to me?

solemnly burning my big dog merch

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
just want to say I hate my demon cracker feudal slave state clown nation so god damned much I want to punch anyone who is proud to be an american in the throat.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Not being able to buy meat is going to be some tipping point in the American consciousness like when sports got cancelled in March.

it's actually gonna be the tiny part of covid that owns but people will prob just start eating even more meat once it's over lmao

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

I'm actually excited to do a lot of bean and lentil dishes tbh. Maybe I will try to make naan

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

no meat? you can thank the democrats!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
I made tofu and okara cookies today and they were delicious. Praise the humble soy bean.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

also re: the above mutation, digging this rando on twitter noticing something was up on march 1st:

https://twitter.com/davorasmussen/status/1234265236024233984

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

let my people BBQ

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I made tofu and okara cookies today and they were delicious. Praise the humble soy bean.

how are they flavored?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

a.lo posted:

no meat? you can thank the democrats!

the meat is only gone because the democrats took advantage of the crisis to push their loony far-left anti-meat vegan agenda and shut down the meat packing plants

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Marzzle posted:

how are they flavored?

https://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/09/okara-or-tofu-coconut-cookies.html

Really straightforward, tastes like a real sweet cornbread.

The tofu is sitting on my fridge for my first mapo tofu attempt tomorrow.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/lennythepen/status/1257705936661200899

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
i want the cows to be free and the people to be meat