Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I honestly wonder how long they've been working on Battle Grounds, and if the poo poo sandwich of 2K20 caused them to make this decision a while ago.

I just assumed that 2K21 was canceled because of COVID-19 causing them to miss the deadlines for the annual release and the game being complete trash and using a year off.

But part of me thinks they planned to actually release two WWE games in the fall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
If they started development of this after firing Yukes (which presumably they knew then things weren't going well) and have a smaller scope game, that's probably around the time they could've started this up for releasing in the fall. There's no way they made this game in under 18 months or so unless there's basically only the 4 wrestlers in the trailer or something like that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

idk man, Fallout New Vegas was made in 12 months. If you can crack the whip hard enough, and the tools are already there, it can be made. Just like, don't expect this one to be any good. I would totally envision a trimmed roster and uniform movesets outside the finishers.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Battlegrounds is being done by Saber Interactive, who previously did NBA Playgrounds along with a butchers dozen co-development/console port gigs like Quake Champions and the Switch port of The Witcher 3. This was never intended to be the Only, Main Event WWE Game Of 2020, but 2020 insists on being all weird.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
So, new TEW...

If the horrid UI sees some improvement in the release, I'll be somewhat satisfied. A fan made skin manages to stop the bleeding of the eyes in most screens, but it is a bit laughable that the beta came out the way it did. I mean, I know it's basically a one man passion project, but jeez, 40 BUTTONS cluttered together? Thick white lines in most lists? Baffling decision to remove the move segment buttons from the booking screen?

From the actual gameplay side of things, it's TEW. It'll probably eat my time for years to come. C-Verse is looking cool, might try Japan for the first time. I'm really looking forward to the first RW mods, so I can try a Dragon Gate save with the new touring system.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so Parts Craft for FPW is out.

I have not looked at the game on PC lately but on PS4 it's a bit unwieldy- what you do is select an existing part, upload it to FPW.net setting it to Hidden so only you can see it, open it in your image editor of choice to make changes, then upload your new part image at whatever visibility you want. Which sadly is kind of how I expected it to go since they didn't have any kind of image editor for logos either. And given how parts work in the game it's probably gonna be mostly for people who know how to do art good, since you have to draw it from all sorts of different angles. I probably won't be able to come up with anything beyond maybe logos for T-shirts and the like.

It's a bit annoying, too, much like the other DLCs people are updating wrestlers with new custom parts so you have to download them, but now at least the FPW.net pages for wrestlers tell you what parts they use.

One thing I'm curious about in regards to the modding scene- since we know all the Fighting Road stuff uses the same Visual Novel setup, would it be possible to have mods where people can hack together and upload their own "story modes"? I'm not sure how many people would be interested in doing that but I can see possibilities.

EDIT: Oh there is a Story Mode mod. Asked and answered.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 5, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Update for the PC users: If you're using the Mod Pack, if you're not already, enable the Bloodstains mod. For some reason without it the modded game crashes.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, so Parts Craft for FPW is out.

I have not looked at the game on PC lately but on PS4 it's a bit unwieldy- what you do is select an existing part, upload it to FPW.net setting it to Hidden so only you can see it, open it in your image editor of choice to make changes, then upload your new part image at whatever visibility you want. Which sadly is kind of how I expected it to go since they didn't have any kind of image editor for logos either. And given how parts work in the game it's probably gonna be mostly for people who know how to do art good, since you have to draw it from all sorts of different angles. I probably won't be able to come up with anything beyond maybe logos for T-shirts and the like.

It's a bit annoying, too, much like the other DLCs people are updating wrestlers with new custom parts so you have to download them, but now at least the FPW.net pages for wrestlers tell you what parts they use.

One thing I'm curious about in regards to the modding scene- since we know all the Fighting Road stuff uses the same Visual Novel setup, would it be possible to have mods where people can hack together and upload their own "story modes"? I'm not sure how many people would be interested in doing that but I can see possibilities.

EDIT: Oh there is a Story Mode mod. Asked and answered.

Luckily a bunch of the better creators are cranking out custom parts pretty quickly now. They’ve been helping each other figure out the quirks on Discord. There should be a huge variety of good parts by the end of the month.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Parts Craft is vers poorly implemented on PC.

First of all, if you make a part you have to 1.) upload it to the workshop 2.) subscribe to it on the workshop 3.) restart your game to test it 4.) provided you're satisfied with the part and don't have to go through the first three steps again you have to set it to public (if you want) on the workshop.

Okay, so uploading is a bit unwieldy, but what about subscribing to parts and using them?
Actually, that works flawlessly*

*well... there's a catch. Parts Craft parts are still tied to the workshop. Cool if someone updates parts. Not so cool if that part gets deleted. What happens to a wrestler that has a deleted part? Well, they'll show up in your list but you won't be able to use them. Instead, you'll get an error telling you a part is missing. What I recommend everybody does is use the Mod Pack to install these parts locally so that doesn't happen.

Basically, use the Mod Pack. The Mod Pack even lets you update "local" parts that will be installed as such if you subscribe to them (as long as the mod pack is running). For example, here's some transparent shades sprites I made (by making the existing ones transparent) uploaded using the mod pack https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2081816043

E: Oh yeah, right, with the modpack you can bundle multiple parts like I did above.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 5, 2020

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm legit looking forward to this next game.

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1256700088778358790

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1257379983753973761

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1256984704672313345

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1256852347109756929

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1255566221409431558

https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1255863550750461952

Shard fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 5, 2020

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mdickie literally best dev

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

Mdickie literally best dev

:agreed:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the real world dude is near quitting tew2020 because the database is a nightmare to work with

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Zeta Acosta posted:

the real world dude is near quitting tew2020 because the database is a nightmare to work with

I realize this is a VERY small operation and the lead guy's kinda set in his ways, but SOMEBODY really should have said "Hey this is getting a bit too hard to use".

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I want to be able to beat someone with their own dismembered limb in this game. Would get in a second if possible.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I realize this is a VERY small operation and the lead guy's kinda set in his ways, but SOMEBODY really should have said "Hey this is getting a bit too hard to use".

apparently all the feedback he got during closed beta testing was overwhelmingly positive. doubt he ever felt much reason to change

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hunnert car pileup posted:

I want to be able to beat someone with their own dismembered limb in this game. Would get in a second if possible.

its really all I've ever wanted out of a video game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Aye Doc posted:

apparently all the feedback he got during closed beta testing was overwhelmingly positive. doubt he ever felt much reason to change

The problem with getting constructive feedback from when you're making a wrestling booking simulator database menu game, is the people who are doing the beta-testing are going to be people who beta-test a wrestling booking simulator database menu game.*

*Not intended to throw shade, I'm still going to buy this very shortly after it comes out, and I doubt the menu will put me off that much. I am exactly this demographic.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Originally found in the Fighting Games Thread but very relevant here...

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Artelier posted:

Originally found in the Fighting Games Thread but very relevant here...

In my head this is early KOF with WWE sprites and that'd be really cool. How off base am I? *watches trailer* Very, it seems.

Hey, at least it's on-brand.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Vince wishes he was Geese Howard. That said, Vince with the scrolls of immortality would be a terrifying thing.

Vince as Rugal would also be somewhat fitting since he's a man who after beating other fighters literally turns them into statues to add to his collection. There's a loose metaphor in there somewhere.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Hoss Corncave posted:

Vince wishes he was Geese Howard. That said, Vince with the scrolls of immortality would be a terrifying thing.

Vince as Rugal would also be somewhat fitting since he's a man who after beating other fighters literally turns them into statues to add to his collection. There's a loose metaphor in there somewhere.

"You cannot escape from death...AT WRESTLEMANIAAAA!!!!"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Hey, so it's kind of weird and maybe off topic (but I've seen other people post similar-ish) but prior to Dynamite I'm doing a livestream booking WCW 2001 and beyond in TEW 2016. It's a continuation of a save I started in Jan 2001 (at the beginning of COVID quarantine) and have now made it to April.

https://www.twitch.tv/drkarmicknight

But yeah, I'll be running from now until about the start of Dynamite.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

"You cannot escape from death...AT WRESTLEMANIAAAA!!!!"

The booking is too PREDICTABO.

If they wanted to bring back terrible ideas from the past they could have the Wrestlemania Raging Storm Party. Hell, even if it was supposed to be Rave and not Rage, Geese's moveset has it covered. Actually, I'm now wondering how bad a version of that party done in nowadays WWE would be, and if it would be better or worse than the one in 99.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
"Steve you may have beaten my men and taken the Heavyweight Championship, but can you 'stunner' my...DOUBLE REPPUKEN???"

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

tew UI has been fixed abit so thats good (2nd photo for the new office screen)

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2421522&postcount=3

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Massive improvement. I was getting used to the interface but that's just a leap forward.

Or I guess really a leap back.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

it's pretty much the tew2016 ui except flipped. everyone will hail it as a genius move

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Aye Doc posted:

it's pretty much the tew2016 ui except flipped. everyone will hail it as a genius move

Rylands done it again!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Good for him, though. Saw the feedback and responded.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He seems like he's been working hard to respond to the criticisms. There's been a new patch basically every day and most of the bugs I've noticed seem to have been resolved. I didn't think he'd be able to completely reformat the design and I don't know how much work that takes but its pretty cool to see him take that response and address it.

Even if, yeah, its just doing it the old way that people were used to and didn't want to change.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ryland's usually good about listening to feedback and being transparent about it. Still happily surprised at how quick it happened

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I tried booking a couple shows the other day, after all the patches and a user skin that looks a lot like the new UI being previews, and the experience went from torturous to tolerable. It's still clunky, inefficient, and with some baffling design choices(like 'next segment' and 'end show' being 2 different buttons), but it's acceptable.

Now to wait for the good mods to come out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't actually booked a show yet (auto booked a few but just to get past them so I could try everything else out) but I kind of assume the different button for "End Show" is because of the change where you can change up booking mid-show? But I don't know if you can like write a new segment or anything on the fly if you decide you need a new main event. But I dunno, I assume its just some mechanical need since the show is no longer written in stone.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

it'd be kinda cool if the game just read a natural text booking sheet and did all the menus and poo poo for you. Then all you have to do is make the decisions that happen in response.

Sorta like how a booker will start with a rough show format that changes as it gets closer to showdate. And its usually due to injuries, pay disputes, creative disputes, etc.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I was bored a couple days back and ran a TEW save as an unemployed person letting the AI Book AEW the two free months of the demo and this was Revolution at the end.

And the capper news the next day (note I took out Japan and whatnot to save on loading times)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Santana and Ortiz turned face. Page turned heel and replacing them in the Inner Circle (or Bucks turned heel and Jericho face?). Gotta question Brandi having the title but otherwise that's a drat smart AI booking for TEW.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pros:
Page kicking the Bucks' rear end
Darby gets a win
Leva gets a win
Britt gets a win
Finn going over to a different company and still not being able to be world champ

Cons:
PAC losing to scrub Cody
Champ Brandi
Dark Order relegated to preshow

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, honestly, just the fact that it doesn't have Moxley defending the title against Jimmy Havoc and Cody teaming with MJF to lose to the Gunn Club in the pre-show is a real testament to the upgrade in AI booking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Billy Gunn and CIMA would probably be a really fun team.