Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bust Rodd posted:

Prey is so amazing GLOO gun 4 lyfe

I made a gloo stairway through half of the arboretum that lasted the entire game and I felt smug every time I used it and the mimics couldn't get me even though that's the intended use case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Veib posted:

Also this reminded me about the time I tried to replay System Shock 1, here is my trip report from two years ago:

The Nightdive Studios remaster comes out soon and I can't wait. My favourite game ever.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pipski posted:

The Nightdive Studios remaster comes out soon and I can't wait. My favourite game ever.

I thought that wasn't happening anymore?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Necrothatcher posted:

I thought that wasn't happening anymore?

it still is, they keep showing it off. they did run into some trouble awhile back but sorted it out i guess. think its shock 3 that isnt anymore.

Pipski posted:

remaster is out as the enhanced edition. its the remake that isnt out.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Yeah the remake was put on hold for some months in 2018 as they were figuring things out, and then they picked it back up and have been working on it since

People just assumed that must mean it was canceled for good

I also kickstarted it and am excited about it

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

If they ever remake SS2 I hope they change the ending to whatever it was they originally intended to do with it and not the rushed universally hated one

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Neal! posted:

If they ever remake SS2 I hope they change the ending to whatever it was they originally intended to do with it and not the rushed universally hated one

Nah

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Escobarbarian posted:

Sony PS4: giant balls and a sideways puss

I thought we weren't talking about the last of us 2 in here any more!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The best thing in Prey is the nerf dart gun

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I still haven't even beaten Prey but I guess they're not connected plot-wise anyway?

e: I mean Prey and Prey.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I still haven't even beaten Prey but I guess they're not connected plot-wise anyway?

e: I mean Prey and Prey.

They have absolutely nothing to do with each other

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"So I can't help notice this gap on your resumé. Could you maybe talk a little about what you were doing during that time?"
"I was employed at CD Projekt Red..."
"Wow, such a great developer! What--"
"...but I will not be discussing the work I did there."

Rad Valtar posted:

According to a ESRB description of Cyberpunk 2077 you can customize your genitals when you create your character.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rad Valtar posted:

According to a ESRB description of Cyberpunk 2077 you can customize your genitals when you create your character.

hell yeah

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

The best thing in Prey is the nerf dart gun

I just love the justification for it; A bunch of bored scientists with access to 3D printers, and a semi-underground league on the station that everyone is in on because the drat things are too fun to put a stop to them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I do love the idea of an immersive spooky spaceship romp but the technical mess of Prey scared me away. Isn’t the audio really buggy too? I remember reading it’s not great with directional audio and that sounds noooot great in that kind of game. I’m too fussy about wonky game sound.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Streets of Rage 4, Chapter 9 Mania.

That was possibly the hardest thing I've done in a video game in my life. I think I need a nap now.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

That was possibly the hardest thing I've done in a video game in my life. I think I need a nap now.

You playing on the hard[est] difficulty? I hope to start playing it this week and I'm wondering if I should just start on Hard.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

exquisite tea posted:

I’m stuck on stage 12 normal lol. Last night I finally used the handicaps and still couldn’t quite finish the final boss fight. I’ll get ‘em!!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lobok posted:

You playing on the hard[est] difficulty? I hope to start playing it this week and I'm wondering if I should just start on Hard.

Mania is the hardest difficulty, harder than Hardest! SoR4 is challenging in an old school way, I'd recommend starting on Normal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vikar Jerome posted:

worst post i've seen in this thread tbh.

I have never loved Yakuza's combat gameplay. It doesn't feel great to basically try to avoid getting stunlocked/knocked down while you mash (especially in games where getting hit drains your heat meter) and so it feels like I'm encouraged to cheese constantly. In Kiwami 2 it really does feel like my optimal tactic right now is to run around and continue to spam the charged drop kick over and over. Sunhilegend doesn't make Yakuza gifs which is a red flag.

(I love heat actions but those are just cutscenes you can plug into any other combat system)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Here’s my hot take that I only present to you all itt because I love and care about you and want you to embrace the chaotic waves of the universe

I like Yakuza 0/Kiwami combat way more than FF7R combat and I still really dig the latter

God drat I need to get back to Kiwami 1!!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Playing Bioshock (more like Boo!Shlock) and it's very pretty and atmospheric and they should make a Biosh4ck already. I can never get enough of shooting virtual liberals.

E: they've done underwater and sky already so seriouspost fallout shelter or moon Bioshock when? Or island or desert.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The next Bioshock will take place directly inside Ken Levine's rear end

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sticking with what worked, I see

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Evil Canadian posted:

I can confirm to you 100% that at the very least Sheeva is one of the new characters coming to Season 2 of MK11.

:3: Yesssssss.

I've never played Prey (my partner mostly dug it, but also had several complaints), but all I know is that my favorite actor Walton Goggins is in it! I adore that man.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A city inside an active volcano that suffers a tragically ironic downfall stemming from mankind's hubris when its inhabitants suddenly start bursting into flames, for reasons unknown.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I do love the idea of an immersive spooky spaceship romp but the technical mess of Prey scared me away. Isn’t the audio really buggy too? I remember reading it’s not great with directional audio and that sounds noooot great in that kind of game. I’m too fussy about wonky game sound.

It was fine. Sometimes audio cues would play when they shouldn’t or wouldn’t play when they should but I never had an issue with directional audio.

Other bugs - There was one enemy that teleported outside a window and I couldn’t get him, but it wasn’t necessary to advance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kilometers Davis posted:

It behaves weirdly in some spots, nowhere near bad enough to miss out on a great game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Augus posted:

A city inside an active volcano that suffers a tragically ironic downfall stemming from mankind's hubris when its inhabitants suddenly start bursting into flames, for reasons unknown.

This is already the last real level in Bioshock though, Hephaestus

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

This is already the last real level in Bioshock though, Hephaestus

I was thinking a more "Bowser's Castle" kinda deal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Survivor difficulty with no resurrections may have been the wrong choice for me despite having beat Bioshock on the old 360 back in the day.

Also, why is the recommended darkness (no, not brightness) setting for games always "can't see poo poo"?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also, why is the recommended darkness (no, not brightness) setting for games always "can't see poo poo"?

I think this is because the people who do these kinds of tests are in dark rooms or have really good monitors.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tifa could beat up Kiryu

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1258089135648190469

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

The Neal! posted:

I don't know if that's right. I thought the supernova was needed to send memories back 22 minutes, as far as I could tell the probe firing needed a bunch of power but nothing the Nomai didn't already have access to. The whole shebang was set up so that when the sun went supernova, it would trigger the time loop to send all memories back (including the memory of the probe with the instruction to fire). The Nomai couldn't make the sun explode in the end but they also all died before they turned the whole setup off. So, 20,000 years later the sun blows up on it's own. Time loop activates and then 22 minutes in the past the cannon receives its first command to fire. Probe gets sent out to find the eye sending data back in time every loop until it finds it.

I thought I noticed the Probe going off in different directions each loop but I could be wrong about that but it would make sense if the Nomai were trying to set up infinite loops so they could literally search the entire range of the probe in every direction in the same 22 minutes.

If I'm wrong about the probe cannon needing to be powered by the supernova the whole thing makes sense as to why the elaborate time loop thing needed to happen but it seems weird that launching a probe would need THAT much power

No, the poster you responded to was right, they initially discovered that they could go back in time by a fraction of a second with the warp pads, which lead them to developing the sun station, I forgot if they discover it from launching the probes to find the eye or just through use of the warp pads, but I know the initial discovery occurs because they notice the warp time is like 0.00000001 second prior to them warping, so they discovered time travel which lead to the development of the sun station. There’s Nomai conversations about how the sun station failed to cause a supernova, which sucks cause they obviously did some pretty wild science and put lots of effort into it, and were bummed out about it for about 30 seconds before they were like ‘oh poo poo look at that comet, let’s check it out’, then they go into the core of the interloper causing ghost matter to wipe out the population, and the Nomai go extinct. But yeah the idea of the sun station was to create a supernova to power the probes that cause the 22 minute cycle, so they don’t have to waste time waiting for it to eventually find it, and when it did they could experience the 22 minute cycle just once and go back right before the supernova occurs, go to the sun station and disable it, since the data is recorded, they know where the eye is and also they don’t destroy the solar system via supernova. But yeah, the Nomai got ghosted possibly 100s of thousands of years before the events of the game, the sun is dying and about to go supernova, finds the eye and is why the statue looks at you and initiates the cycle. Except the player doesn’t know what the eye of the universe is, let alone that the sun is dying, and obviously this time the sun is just dying and the supernova isn’t the result of an experiment, and you gotta figure it out. It’s a pretty genius story, and it’s a shame that puzzle is so obtuse, I’m relieved that I wasn’t the only one who got sucked up by the sand attempting the right solution, because it seemed easy the following two or three attempts it took me to actually make it to the vessel. But yeah, the music at the end and how overwhelming all of that is, like you said, very 2001 sort of out of nowhere, Idk why but it got to me.

You should def play TLG if you liked SotC that much, I literally bought a PS4 for it and I think it’s the best Team Ico game by far, and yeah as you can probably guess by my gang tag (the only member of TLGang btw) that I love the game a lot. I hope you enjoy it though, because unlike SotC, which seems to be universally acclaimed, TLG still seems to be a very divisive game, as it’s quite different from Shadow of the Colossus, but I think if you like Outer Wilds and had the patience to play that game and you enjoyed SotC that much then you’ll enjoy The Last Guardian.

I also got Kentucky Route Zero and I guess because it got compared to Disco Elysium somewhat often, I was expecting a bit more, but it’s still an interesting game, just not exactly what I expected, like tonally it’s clearly not trying to be anything like Disco Elysium and it’s not nearly as well written, but obviously it’s not trying to be. It’s a very chill game though and I’ve only played a couple hours of it and I’ve heard the entire game is fairly short, like 5 hours or so for every like ‘episode’, so I might finish it up in the next couple of days. But yeah, I’m a little biased, but I think The Last Guardian would be a higher priority than KRZ, but if you just want a chill game to play that isn’t at all stressful and doesn’t require much effort, (not that TLG is stressful, but it’s got some puzzles that can be tricky and it’s just emotionally intense, especially the last couple of hours), I think it works really well if you’re in the mood for it.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 6, 2020

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Survivor difficulty with no resurrections may have been the wrong choice for me despite having beat Bioshock on the old 360 back in the day.

Most people's televisions are using default out of the box calibration, which is 'spotlight and super saturation to show up on the brightly lit salesroom floor' level.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Most people's televisions are using default out of the box calibration, which is 'spotlight and super saturation to show up on the brightly lit salesroom floor' level.

Every time I do an in-game "change until you can barely see this logo" setting I always have to knock it up a few ticks because otherwise I can't see anything

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The music cue at the start when you take that first helicopter ride is MIND BLOWING.

Prey 2017 is like Bioshock but better in every single way. Their shotguns look remarkably similar.

As someone who has never liked Bioshock, Prey is basically what I was expecting and hoping Bioshock would be based off the way people described it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Anyone wanna buy a xim 4? I think I have a KVM switch I could throw in

PMd you.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sunhilegend doesn't make Yakuza gifs which is a red flag.

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1016626497145229312

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1015720065352728577

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

Yeah but that should not effect it because it's set up the way CharlieFoxtrot said.