Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PawParole posted:

imagine thinking space travel is possible.

there’s a glass wall up there, numbnuts

Chain smoking sailor moon is the energy of this post. Excellent combo.

edit: the most shameful of snipes :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Warmachine posted:

Chain smoking sailor moon is the energy of this post. Excellent combo.

edit: the most shameful of snipes :negative:

funny thing is that I hate anime, but i have this avatar ironically, because I hate anime.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
anime good

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Kitfox88 posted:

anime good

is Arthur an anime?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PawParole posted:

is Arthur an anime?

Historians will look back at this post as the starting point for the second American civil war.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Car Hater posted:

Lol if you don't accept already that it's the same everywhere. Compressed solar energy is too hype for any carbon-based life form to resist getting high on.

no, other alien species are individualists who don’t put up with the dictates of big nanny government, because Carl Marks was never born there

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Personally I'm an optimist and think the aliens are already here and will save us from extinction, if only because they need to harvest our sweet adrenochrome.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Car Hater posted:

Lol if you don't accept already that it's the same everywhere. Compressed solar energy is too hype for any carbon-based life form to resist getting high on.

Maybe the circumstances that led to the formation of fossil fuels are unique and that's why we don't detect other civilizations: they just weren't able to industrialize without them. Liquified dinosaurs might be the great filter

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Balkanization takes way too much effort, and might make the teevee and ipads stop working.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao at the capital of American Reservation being Goose Step

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Mantis42 posted:

Personally I'm an optimist and think the aliens are already here and will save us from extinction, if only because they need to harvest our sweet adrenochrome.

whaT if Posadas was right but in the reverse and aliens are intergalactic fascist lizard people here to gently caress with us

like we are an amusement park for space execs like west world but for octopus lizard dolphin people

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

see I knew Canada wouldn't be impacted by balk

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

my country, piss of pee

:911:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like how they sunk cape cod

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

anime good

Anime is the Great Filter

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

the rotation of the earth would (seem to) carry the explosion west

The rotation of the earth does interesting things to prevailing winds. Near the equator they do go west. Those are the "trade winds".

In the mid latitudes they go east, and the jet stream does that particularly well. It was how the Japanese were able to hook incendiary bombs to balloons and have the drift to the US.

Near the poles, the winds go west again.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

The rotation of the earth does interesting things to prevailing winds. Near the equator they do go west. Those are the "trade winds".

In the mid latitudes they go east, and the jet stream does that particularly well. It was how the Japanese were able to hook incendiary bombs to balloons and have the drift to the US.

Near the poles, the winds go west again.

I was assuming a Yellowstone blow up shoots burning earth higher up than the atmosphere (chixhulub style)

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

euphronius posted:

I was assuming a Yellowstone blow up shoots burning earth higher up than the atmosphere (chixhulub style)

That is World War 3 level hosed, where people buried Pompeii style are the lucky ones. The rest of the world slowly starves from crop failures.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

euphronius posted:

Keep in mind that anything blasting up from the surface retains the rotational velocity of the planet. Any changes to this are meteorological in nature, giving the ejected mass a different velocity vector as forces act on it.

More easily visualized, if Yellowstone happened on the Moon, and a rock was shot perfectly straight into space at a velocity lower than the moon's escape velocity, it would fall back to the moon in the same spot it left. Any deviation from this is a result of the rock's velocity vector not being perpendicular to the moon's surface. (Or I suppose perpendicular to an arbitrary line passing through the Moon's center of mass?) Angular momentum from the Moon's rotation is conserved, since there is no force acting against it in a vacuum.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something super important but I'm not seeing it at time of writing. Physics hard and I am dumb.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, but what does any of this have to do with conflicts in the potential Balkanized future USA??

luckily we also have the syrian civil war as a blueprint for what that sort of conflict would look like

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is a movie that shows the spread of wildfires that were generated by the Chicxulub impact event 65 million years ago when large numbers of plants and animals, including dinosaurs, were extinguished. The fires were generated after debris ejected from the crater was lofted far above the Earth’s atmosphere and then rained back down through the atmosphere. Like countless trillions of meteors, the debris heated the atmosphere and surface temperatures so high that vegetation on the ground was ignited. Impact debris racing through the atmosphere was concentrated above the impact site (now Mexico) and the opposite side of the Earth (now the Indian Ocean). The Earth rotated beneath the returning plume of impact ejecta, so that the first migrated to the west. Most of the fires were ignited in the first day after the impact, although material continued to fall back into the atmosphere for another 3 days. This movie is an outcome of a study by David A. Kring and Daniel D. Durda, 2002, Trajectories and distribution of material ejected from the Chicxulub impact crater: Implications for postimpact wildfires, Journal of Geophysical Research 107, 22p.

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/kring/Chicxulub/global-effects/

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

why would japan get the west coast when it was an American ally in ww2?

euphronius posted:

This is a movie that shows the spread of wildfires that were generated by the Chicxulub impact event 65 million years ago when large numbers of plants and animals, including dinosaurs, were extinguished. The fires were generated after debris ejected from the crater was lofted far above the Earth’s atmosphere and then rained back down through the atmosphere. Like countless trillions of meteors, the debris heated the atmosphere and surface temperatures so high that vegetation on the ground was ignited. Impact debris racing through the atmosphere was concentrated above the impact site (now Mexico) and the opposite side of the Earth (now the Indian Ocean). The Earth rotated beneath the returning plume of impact ejecta, so that the first migrated to the west. Most of the fires were ignited in the first day after the impact, although material continued to fall back into the atmosphere for another 3 days. This movie is an outcome of a study by David A. Kring and Daniel D. Durda, 2002, Trajectories and distribution of material ejected from the Chicxulub impact crater: Implications for postimpact wildfires, Journal of Geophysical Research 107, 22p.

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/kring/Chicxulub/global-effects/

It’s only a movie if it has a runtime of 40 minutes

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Warmachine posted:

Keep in mind that anything blasting up from the surface retains the rotational velocity of the planet. Any changes to this are meteorological in nature, giving the ejected mass a different velocity vector as forces act on it.

More easily visualized, if Yellowstone happened on the Moon, and a rock was shot perfectly straight into space at a velocity lower than the moon's escape velocity, it would fall back to the moon in the same spot it left. Any deviation from this is a result of the rock's velocity vector not being perpendicular to the moon's surface. (Or I suppose perpendicular to an arbitrary line passing through the Moon's center of mass?) Angular momentum from the Moon's rotation is conserved, since there is no force acting against it in a vacuum.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something super important but I'm not seeing it at time of writing. Physics hard and I am dumb.

angular momentum is conserved but angular velocity is not, so as the rock moves further away from the moon, it will drift relative to the moon's surface against the moon's direction of rotation

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Real hurthling! posted:

i like how they sunk cape cod

Nah they cut it off and stapled it to the bottom of Florida there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dustcat posted:

angular momentum is conserved but angular velocity is not, so as the rock moves further away from the moon, it will drift relative to the moon's surface against the moon's direction of rotation

That was the missing piece. Thanks!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

PawParole posted:

why would japan get the west coast when it was an American ally in ww2?

I hope you mean WW1 because otherwise wow you're gonna freak when you learn about Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the big thing is if Yellowstone goes up it would probably cause the New Madrid fault to slip, causing a 8.0+ earthquake to hit the midwest & south long before the ash starts falling

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
pretty sure the everglades are already called the straits of horror

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I feel like this is the best thread for this information.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1258118149158981639

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Good.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thoguh posted:

now we’re talkin

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Thoguh posted:

:yeshaha:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

GET-READY

NUMBER

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Thoguh posted:

Wear masks and assert your 2nd amendment rights!

No not like that!!!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

lol Japan was literally an ally of the Entente in WW1

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Thoguh posted:

hell yeah. huey p. newton gun club would also appreciate this post.

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER

Thump! posted:

GET-READY

NUMBER

im fine with this bc i get superior japanese infrastructure like bullet trains, which is a lot better than having no bullet trains and having to drive

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Argentum posted:

im fine with this bc i get superior japanese infrastructure like bullet trains, which is a lot better than having no bullet trains and having to drive

Hey if you want bullets just stand around a school in the US. Or go jogging while black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Top City Homo posted:

pretty sure the everglades are already called the straits of horror

eh most Floridians in general are straits of horror not just those in the Everglades