Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

lobsterminator posted:

What if Star Citizen is just a Banksy piece. When the funding reaches a billion dollars SC will go into a shedder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ce n'est pas un jeu.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kikas posted:

drat, I will buy this just to try and recreate the SC ships in that, the building itself looks amazing.

Are you twenty years old and a Sr. Ship Designer?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

is CIG desperate/shameless enough to hire me (a web developer who's made games for fun) as a computer video games artisan?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

working for CIG is my dream

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Are you twenty years old and a Sr. Ship Designer?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

:five:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

God dang, they actually have a network architect dude?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
If someone has a stupid expensive LinkedIn subscription can they get company overall/average stats of CI!G's 600 or so staff, like age and years experience?

It's be funny if LinkedIn or whatever said that 50% of CI!G's workforce was under 25 with only a year in the industry. Or that CI!G was their first job. Or 40% of the staff only joined in the past year.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spuckuk posted:

Nothing the thread doesn't really know already.

-Chris shoves his nose into everything and fucks it up on the regular.

-Big exodus of talent leading to 22 year old 'leads'

-poo poo wages

-Citizencon demos were extremely tightly controlled and still fell apart constantly, they took weeks out of production to glue together each time.

He's personally convinced it will never be released in a playable form, and hell, same.

But lets ask the tough questions: Does Chris have any other shirt?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Spuckuk posted:

My mate worked there until June last year. Plenty of bugs get filed, the backlog is just so immense and the project so hosed that stuff won't get actioned.

FUD!!!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I clipped through the corner
My ship has a dong light
Stuck in Crobber’s prison
Trying to reset my view
And I don’t know if I can do it
Oh no! I pledged too much
I haven’t pledged enough
I thought that I heard goons laughing
I thought that I heard them say
Derek Smart was right

:love:

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Is there any way to get $70 worth of fun out of this game that isn't "lol glitches are fun"?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

jubjub64 posted:

Is there any way to get $70 worth of fun out of this game that isn't "lol glitches are fun"?

yeah stick around in this thread.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I guess you could grief people for like 70 hours, but if you're doing that, you're playing star citizen, which means you are griefing yourself

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Xakura posted:

What if they can't fix it :ohdear: What if it just gets worse and worse, until accounts, servers, everything just stops working.

“There is another theory that says this has already happened.”

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheAgent posted:

I guess you could grief people for like 70 hours, but if you're doing that, you're playing star citizen, which means you are griefing yourself
some say that to truly grief a man you must have him fall from the highest highs to the lowest lows.

other say you take a man already wading waist deep in poo poo and push his head under, and listen to his tortured gurgles as all hope is lost.

star citizen

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

jubjub64 posted:

gently caress no lol.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

jubjub64 posted:

If your time is worth nothing at all, I'm sure you can spend many hours just redoing the game's start over and over again because the game/server crashed, you got stuck in something, you died, etc. Spend hours doing nothing while flying from A to B and have the game crash so you can do it all over again. If that sounds like fun to you, go ahead!

If you keep it up long enough you'll see that you easily get countless hours per dollar.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

jubjub64 posted:

No because an Idris costs way more. Buy an Idris.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Sandweed posted:

No because an Idris costs way more. Buy an Idris.

Beet Wagon posted:

gently caress no lol.

Spiderdrake posted:

some say that to truly grief a man you must have him fall from the highest highs to the lowest lows.

other say you take a man already wading waist deep in poo poo and push his head under, and listen to his tortured gurgles as all hope is lost.

star citizen

jarlywarly posted:

yeah stick around in this thread.

TheAgent posted:

CURSE YOU ADDERALL INDUCED IMPULSE BUY!!!!111!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Logged in

Graphics - Amazing
Ships - My carrack was amazing
Server population - Amazing, everybody was helpful and super chatty

Play experience

Spawned in New Babbage, place was cool, ran to ship hangars, got my carrack, this is cool
Took for ever to get out of atmo, oh-well penalty for big ships going to planet
Decided i wanted to load pieces, figured PO would be easiest since i wouldn't have to enter atmo again
flew to PO ... 10 mins .. well the game is big, it would take that long for me to load a new zone in skyrim this is reasonable
got to PO, was about to get out of ship to EVA over to spawn pieces and game crash
Oh well its an Alpha game crashes are fine, just reload game and server
Load up in New Babbage
gently caress this, not spending 45 mins again, see you all in another year, progress looks great!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
On the plus, this means more trip reports

Think of yourself as a war reporter. In a guerrilla civil war heading into its 9th year. Expect surprise explosions. And lots of tedious waiting.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Still love the car.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

jubjub64 posted:

CURSE YOU ADDERALL INDUCED IMPULSE BUY!!!!111!
I'm gonna try to play this weekend to get some testing done. come play m'lord

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

AbstractNapper posted:

I wonder what's the comments section like in the ol' Kickstarter these days.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/comments

:tif:

CIG's last kickstarter update from 2013 is also about a tie-in promotional crossbow that will likely never be in the game. It is also "perfect for providing an extra-level punch during boarding actions" that will never be in the game. Even the non-existent space crossbow punches above its weight!

L. Ron Hoover fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 6, 2020

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ClownBobo posted:

Do you know was your mate working on Sq42 or SC, or both? Am seeking clarity on which is expected to never be released in a playable form.

SC, I dont think if he even knows if theres been anything at all done on sq42

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

pokie posted:

Legal reality is always so dull :/.
I am itching for a tell all book from Ben or whoever.

Imagine meeting the guy who you literally fashioned your life around don't actually care about the thing you value so highly.

The timeline that Ben lives is the same timeline CR pretty much ran into the ground and crashed and burned and was removed from. He went on to do things that excited him: Movies and whatever else.

Not only does he probably not give a poo poo about wing commander outside of being able to claim it as his pedigree, he probably wasn't very fun to talk to about it since CR likely didn't actually know any of the crap Ben has decided to make a religion out of.

Probably the long story short there is Ben got used, and when he was done and his filthy website was exposed, his usefulness was over so ties were easily cut.

The best part about Ben is that he was more personable, friendly, and likable than Sandi was on the YouTube videos so I hope she enjoys knowing even at her own company she was still liked less than the gross fat guy associated to wing commander and sick fetishes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

How much are their staff being paid to not produce results? This might be a nice side gig for somebody who's in need of work-from-home during the quarantines to pay the bills if the expectations are this low for this long. Build your skills with the knowledge your product doesn't matter and will be replaced in short order, anyhow.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Some CIG guys were just advising on how to get on board

Differences Between Early Lumberyard and "Modern" Lumberyard | Applying for CIG Jobs

Seems they’re on an older build of Lumberyard. Hope they haven’t pissed Amazon off too :ohdear:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

I'm gonna try to play this weekend to get some testing done. come play m'lord

hit me up, I'll uhhhh idk, I'll be around.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

"flew to PO ... 10 mins .. well the game is big, it would take that long for me to load a new zone in skyrim this is reasonable"

I hope that was sarcasm.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Whats the name of the space engineers style game? Keeps popping up here...
You play as robots.
Build ships.
Lots of programmable custom components.
Pretty sure it's still EA but I can't remember what it's called.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Starbase, but it's not available to the public yet.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sillybones posted:

I hope that was sarcasm.

Narrator: It wasn't.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

There we go - Dawn of War was just about perfect in terms of pacing, at least for a game focused overwhelmingly on the combat itself. The bases were rather anemic and served more as troop unlocks than an actual defensible structure, but for the genre I feel it still hasn't been topped.

I'd kill for a similar game that went just a little bit the other way - more base focus, with walls/turrets/defense structures, but which lets you take your time building up and out. I think I might need to revisit Age of Empires at this point, I seem to remember that being a well-paced builder.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is excellent you should look at it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

:lol:

Looks to me like a seasoned veteran. I'm surprised they actually even have an architect when they have CR denoting everything that needs to be done with all his ideas.

Layering on the code on top of all those ideas is literally child's play!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pixelate posted:

Some CIG guys were just advising on how to get on board

Differences Between Early Lumberyard and "Modern" Lumberyard | Applying for CIG Jobs

Seems they’re on an older build of Lumberyard. Hope they haven’t pissed Amazon off too :ohdear:

Can you imagine a junior programming position at CIG being your dream job?

Learn from the Code Whisper himself, as you refactor elevator buttons in year 8 of development!

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Hey I've missed the last 4000 pages, please don't update me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Can you imagine a junior programming position at CIG being your dream job?

Learn from the Code Whisper himself, as you refactor elevator buttons in year 8 of development!

Well, really it just comes down to what your personal grooming habits are. If you like it smooth and silky, we have the work place for you! :sandance: