Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Brawnfire posted:

The taper on the nacelles is nice, looks like taffy pulled to the breaking point

That reminded me of the book Prime Directive. The enterprise tried to go to warp while deep within a gravity well and....bad stuff happened. One of the nacelles was essentially being pulled into subspace slowly.

quote:

The forward section of the nacelle was still in perfect condition. At the time of the incident, the propulsion dome disperser pylon had been deployed for routine discharge maintenance and the stubby projection was still in place, unbent and undisturbed. But thirty meters back from the lip of the dome, the first rippling deformations in the nacelle's cylindrical hull became apparent. Fifty meters back, and the hull took on the appearance of a piece of stretched taffy, just like the candy Sulu had once spent six months cooking and sculpting into birds and dragons on the ends of sticks. By sixty meters, the rest of the nacelle was completely gone, supposedly compressed to a point through the inconceivable multidimensional pathways that lead out of the four-dimensional spacetime and into the other realms in which warp speeds were possible.

This is also the non-canon reason why you see the Enterprise go from the grill at the end of the nacelles to the ball end nacelle. They were replacement nacelles from the Intrepid II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bull3964 posted:

taffy, just like the candy Sulu had once spent six months cooking and sculpting into birds and dragons on the ends of sticks.

....sorry, is this canon?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Prime Directive is definitely one of the Good Trek Books. A younger Lieutenant Styles shows up to annoy Scotty as he's trying to fix the Enterprise, sort of setting the stage for the comeuppance he gets in Star Trek III.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, and he apparently wrassled the swagger stick away from a Klingon!

The book is good. It's setup in media res with the crew already disbanded and in disgraced and shares a lot of elements of a heist movie of them getting back together to prove their innocence with flashbacks filling in the details of what happened. It honestly would have made a great movie.

They're on a mission to observe a pre-warp civilization in the middle of an arms race. Mistakes were made, which lead to complete genocide of the planet and the crew was blamed for violating the prime directive. Turns out in the end there was a non-sapient hive race that was inadvertently terraforming the planet for an algae they wanted to eat that thrives on high radiation and THEY caused the nuke launch and not the Enterprise. The federation redirected the being to a gas giant instead to feed to save the planet. There was some evidence that some people survived on the planet below and since an outside force interfered with them, the federation was open to help the planet recover.

Like, serious, remembering that book now makes me sad it wasn't a movie. It would have had tension, action, you could have done cool special effects, but in the end there wasn't a real 'enemy', just a mystery to solve and a somewhat hopeful ending.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 6, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I uh

I am 31. I have been a Star Trek fan for 25 years.

Somehow, somehow, today was the first time I ever saw In The Pale Moonlight. :vince:

Just every single minute of it was perfect (except Terry Farrell had some weirdly distracting really bad bags under her eyes). I started screaming at the screen when I realized what Garak had done about a minute before Sisko confronted him. And now I know what that one guy’s avatar screaming it’s a FAAAAAAAKE is all about!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

I uh

I am 31. I have been a Star Trek fan for 25 years.

Somehow, somehow, today was the first time I ever saw In The Pale Moonlight. :vince:

Just every single minute of it was perfect (except Terry Farrell had some weirdly distracting really bad bags under her eyes). I started screaming at the screen when I realized what Garak had done about a minute before Sisko confronted him. And now I know what that one guy’s avatar screaming it’s a FAAAAAAAKE is all about!

:allears:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, and he apparently wrassled the swagger stick away from a Klingon!

The book is good. It's setup in media res with the crew already disbanded and in disgraced and shares a lot of elements of a heist movie of them getting back together to prove their innocence with flashbacks filling in the details of what happened. It honestly would have made a great movie.

They're on a mission to observe a pre-warp civilization in the middle of an arms race. Mistakes were made, which lead to complete genocide of the planet and the crew was blamed for violating the prime directive. Turns out in the end there was a non-sapient hive race that was inadvertently terraforming the planet for an algae they wanted to eat that thrives on high radiation and THEY caused the nuke launch and not the Enterprise. The federation redirected the being to a gas giant instead to feed to save the planet. There was some evidence that some people survived on the planet below and since an outside force interfered with them, the federation was open to help the planet recover.

Like, serious, remembering that book now makes me sad it wasn't a movie. It would have had tension, action, you could have done cool special effects, but in the end there wasn't a real 'enemy', just a mystery to solve and a somewhat hopeful ending.

The end has the crew beaming down to the planet with supplies etc and it turns out a lot of the civilian population survived because the species can cocoon themselves or something. It's pretty sappy but it's Star Trek. There's also some good setup/mystery/payoff throughout.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The worst part of all this is we're absolutely going to see the Ent-F at some point in the next few years and it's gonna be 100x worse than anything posted here so far :smith:

And the V'draysh probably have an nnnterprize-M or something in disco season 3.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MikeJF posted:

JFAZW

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Not gonna lie, I would actually love that as a background joke they don't focus on. In some location have a wall which has the familiar line-up of gold Enterprise models, starting off with the familiar ones and then just stretching off into the distance down a hallway.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Senor Tron posted:

Not gonna lie, I would actually love that as a background joke they don't focus on. In some location have a wall which has the familiar line-up of gold Enterprise models, starting off with the familiar ones and then just stretching off into the distance down a hallway.

I don't understand this joke, help.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I don't understand this joke, help.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4a50dba5-5ba3-4e08-a377-36b511d0dc74

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I listened to the first two episodes of that Delta Flyers podcast this morning and it was alright. Garrett Wang likes to ramble on about himself a bit, but he’s extremely knowledgeable about the show and the franchise as a whole and he does some solid impressions of the other cast members. Robert McNeil mostly seems like he’s just along for the ride but it’s kinda funny hearing him regret what an unlikable turd Paris was. Definitely worth a listen. I only wish they were meaner about the show itself, but this was only the first episode and they haven’t covered any of the truly stupid poo poo just yet, so fingers crossed we get some decent BTS drama out of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They did already bring up multiple disappointments in plotlines getting dropped, so I don't think they're going to be relentlessly positive.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

These guys still have to be people pleasers on the convention circuit so I can't imagine them taking a total dump on the show

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We'd need a Beltran podcast for that. :v:

I don't expect them to poo poo on the show, but so far they seem willing to not pretend it's perfect and talk about some of the issues.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Grand Fromage posted:

We'd need a Beltran podcast for that. :v:

I don't expect them to poo poo on the show, but so far they seem willing to not pretend it's perfect and talk about some of the issues.

I'd be surprised if they don't invite their co-stars on eventually for episodes that focus on their characters. The West Wing weekly did this a lot.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

These guys still have to be people pleasers on the convention circuit so I can't imagine them taking a total dump on the show

I gotta figure a good chunk of convention attendees would eat up any behind-the-scenes drama stories with a spoon.

Hell, I know I would!

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I don't have the time or inclination to listen to another podcast but please send out an alert in the thread when they reach Threshold. Tia

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Robert McNeil still works as a director for Star Trek (among other things) so he has a solid reason not to poo poo on the show too hard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Space Force should absolutely be run by corrupt Admirals.

https://twitter.com/SpaceForceDoD/status/1258067536509317128

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean as much as I was disappointed in Voyager, I don't think objectively it's such an awful show, or troubled production, that the actors would feel compelled to constantly trash it. Some light ribbing perhaps. I'd actually expect that more for Enterprise, which I liked more, but was undeniably a bigger dumpster fire behind the scenes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gonz posted:

Space Force should absolutely be run by corrupt Admirals.

https://twitter.com/SpaceForceDoD/status/1258067536509317128

Sadly it's a branch of the Air Force so it will be run by corrupt generals.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Also, the US is just talking about returning to the moon after almost 50 years. Your space force talk like it’s going to be Starfleet ain’t fooling anyone.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Also, the US is just talking about returning to the moon after almost 50 years. Your space force talk like it’s going to be Starfleet ain’t fooling anyone.

And that's not going to be space force anyway. That's NASA. Space force is basically just a bunch of recon satellites.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Put Peter Weller in charge of Space Force.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

And that's not going to be space force anyway. That's NASA. Space force is basically just a bunch of recon satellites.

Yeah like, it completely made sense to split off the Air Force because air power became a theater of war and major logistical concern in its own right after World War II. What happened last year that prompted us to create a sixth branch just for space, Trump had someone hit the cliff's notes of the wikipedia page of Moonraker for him?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I love that the main point of that Space Force commercial is literally "We don't know why this branch should exist, could someone please give us some ideas".

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

They really ought to just change the name of the Air Force Space Command and tell Trump it's all new, he won't know the difference anyway.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Humerus posted:

They really ought to just change the name of the Air Force Space Command and tell Trump it's all new, he won't know the difference anyway.

That's pretty much what they're doing. AFSC gets a new chair and new uniforms and takes over a few space things from the army and navy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

That's pretty much what they're doing. AFSC gets a new chair and new uniforms and takes over a few space things from the army and navy.

But they get to be 1/5 of the joint chiefs, and we have to spend billions to change a bunch of visual poo poo

I guess the Pentagon was built for this moment

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Space force would have happened regardless of who became president, China has very nearly caught up to the US and the rest of the world in space flight development in record time and the American military establishment believes that conflict with them is inevitable

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's astonishing how quickly China has been able to develop this *checks notes* 50-year-old technology.

Real talk though Chinese lift rockets are still way behind American commercial rocket tech. SpaceX and Blue Origin are both in the final test stages of bleeding-edge densified cryogenic fuel rocket engines. The Chinese are still using UDMH/N2O4, which the US civilian launch sector abandoned in the 1960s. Their newest rocket is kinda like an Ariane 5 with slightly worse engines, which is still 30 years behind.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 8, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Tighclops posted:

Space force would have happened regardless of who became president, China has very nearly caught up to the US and the rest of the world in space flight development in record time and the American military establishment believes that conflict with them is inevitable

Good thing we're getting ready to combat China and not pumping tons of money into Aircraft Carriers that will get sunk 600 miles off the coast by railguns and hypersonic missiles before they can send off any planes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The real question is whether the PRC or the US would survive that war as a polity. The wheels aren't coming off yet but the lug nuts are wobbling.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

Good thing we're getting ready to combat China and not pumping tons of money into Aircraft Carriers that will get sunk 600 miles off the coast by railguns and hypersonic missiles before they can send off any planes.

If that one ship the US has been testing out is any indication, the carrier will not be attacked due to the futuristic gun rounds costing literally a million dollars each https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Gun_System?wprov=sfla1

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you're at the point China is sinking US aircraft carriers you're not that far from nukes and Clancy chat.

But one step closer to Star Trek :thunk:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

There's already a Steve Carrell comedy about Space Force:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O61lz8WGqbg

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

It's astonishing how quickly China has been able to develop this *checks notes* 50-year-old technology.

Real talk though Chinese lift rockets are still way behind American commercial rocket tech. SpaceX and Blue Origin are both in the final test stages of bleeding-edge densified cryogenic fuel rocket engines. The Chinese are still using UDMH/N2O4, which the US civilian launch sector abandoned in the 1960s. Their newest rocket is kinda like an Ariane 5 with slightly worse engines, which is still 30 years behind.

they just tested their new space capsule last night, I think it's a toss-up whether it'll be them with their older tech or the Americans' army of private contractors will land on the moon first.

Thom12255 posted:

Hey I never said the US military knew what it was doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

orcane posted:

If you're at the point China is sinking US aircraft carriers you're not that far from nukes and Clancy chat.

But one step closer to Star Trek :thunk:

the good news: the world is getting closer to a star trek utopia

the bad news: we won't be part of the star trek utopia, we're right before the khan and cochrane parts