Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

blunt posted:

They put the colour temperature (and a lil indicator) on the box though.

It's nice having a couple of temperatures - all my main overhead lights are daylight and get used in the day, then all my side lamps etc are warm white for the evenings. That way I don't get blinded in the evening and everything looks right during the day.

I've heard fancy people have colour changing lights, but I'm not ready to put my lumens on the Internet yet.

they do but it's like, aspirational

just look out at night and see the variation in people's windows, it's not cool daylight white vs warm white, there's a huge range going on (sometimes you see a really nice one too and it's like, drat what are they using)

it's not as simple as hot filament makes the glowy anymore so some standards would be nice at least!

e- nightmare snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

also I just saw this and you might be interested!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PUWQQ-joKE
That is interesting.

I prefer sodium cyclamate to sugar or any other artificial sweetener in coffee, because I find it reduces the bad bitterness as well as adding sweetness. The most common complaint about cyclamate (other than that it causes bladder cancer in lab rats due to a metabolic pathway that only exists in rodents) is that the sodium salt has a alight metallic salty taste on its own (don't eat sweeteners on their own then), but that may be why it works so well in my less than fancy coffee.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

that's cool, I need to try that stuff sometime - I don't really use sugar or anything in drinks but I'm never really a fan of like the stevia stuff when I've had it, or in sugar free things. Also gonna try that salt trick next time I have some instant coffee

Aldi's been out of coffee beans last couple of times I've been in, pretty much everything else is in stock, I didn't realise so many people were grinding their own while baking bread and eating kidney beans

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can't stand the taste of stevia. Not sure what it is but it just tastes... off. Something like the early vegan attempts to replicate tastes before they got really good, or like bad vegetables.

Cyclamate is interesting because as the first mainstream artificial sweetener it got the full backlash of "it gives these rats cancer if we feed them nothing but sweeteners" from an unholy alliance of natural food types and the sugar industry, but decades of later research has shown it to be safer than any of the other sweeteners, including corn syrup and probably including too much cane/beet sugar.

It used to be the go-to for Tesco Value coffee sweeteners, but for some reason they've stopped existing now, so the best current sources are Germany and Spain, the latter in part because of a large study they did into sweeteners in Latin America where they went in with a skeptical lens and came out saying "well poo poo, looks like the cyclamate kids in the 60s grew up with better health outcomes than any of the alternatives."

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

XMNN posted:

I will never understand people who hate wind turbines and think they ruin views, they've got an eerie alien beauty even before you account for the fact they're saving the planet

also the Wirral has the prettiest sunsets on earth imho/fight me

I mostly agree but if I was in charge I would make it law that all of them in the same sort of view type thing must be synchronised

I'd make it a new job people could have, for to keep them looking nice and neat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The job description could be 'tilting at windmills'.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I'd like to say I was smart enough to have intended that but it wouldn't be true.

I fancy they'd be like sort of a cross between gondoliers and the RNLI, hitting the blades with big sticks where necessary - hitting things with sticks being both probably the earliest human occupation and also (probably not coincidentally) most people's strategy of first resort when troubleshooting urgent problems involving things that are big and threatening or uncooperative.

I wonder if any of those countryside alliance loons have ever jammed a big tree trunk or something between the blade of a wind turbine and its tower. It's like something they'd do :mad:

crispix fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 7, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Insert tweet of man hitting bin with stick for the NHS here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1258093730730516482?s=21

Brr.

Also, bleak lol:

https://twitter.com/hancocktom/status/1257881201794113538?s=21

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jedit posted:

*checks*

You're right, I thought the Ultra had three lenses but it actually has four - despite which it doesn't really have a better camera than the regular S20.

Buying the Apple is even more of a waste of money though, so the point stands.

Hey now, buying the Apple gets you a decidedly mediocre camera and two years of updates for your bar of glass.

(Samsung smartphones have overpriced hardware that's always got severe design issues - the Galaxy Fire 7 was not exactly surprising to people who keep up phone internals given Samsung's design, QC and quality of the parts they use. You also get at-best lovely support so you're eager to upgrade when the next flagship comes along and then it, too, stops getting security updates. Buying cheaper devices has meant you might get a device that will not have the latest security updates for a second of its lifetime. Or even just never see the OS version that was latest when it was launched. Apple at least has better than 50% odds of it being designed okay - but see also "you're holding it wrong", "bendgate" and the iPhone 6S battery scandal. Apple's design philosophy prevents them from ever having a good camera, too, but that's the price you pay for having an uncomfortably slim phone. Other than the battery life and being unable to secure a good grip if you have even slight mobility issues. And they too will stop getting updates well before the end of the usable life of the hardware... well, except the battery, which is glued in these days. So you get poo poo that ages to uselessness in a few years by design and both Samsung and Apple put a fuckload of money into lobbying to stop legislation which would guarantee security updates so people could keep their devices longer. Capitalism!)

(But seriously don't buy Android devices that aren't Android One certified, ever. I'd much rather have a world where those fuckers are regulated to ensure they get updated but there's at least something you can do to get something that won't get surprise EOL'd.)

(I'm a tech nerd and I want harsh regulations on tech companies so they stop innovating so goddamn much, because most of their innovations are new ways to force people to buy new devices.)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

XMNN posted:

I will never understand people who hate wind turbines and think they ruin views, they've got an eerie alien beauty even before you account for the fact they're saving the planet
I used to go sometimes to Whitelee wind farm and if you have a wind farm near you that allows visitors I recommend going. It is an extremely weird and eerie landscape to walk through, and standing underneath a turbine and looking up at the 45m blade sweeping towards you at 200km an hour is quite an experience. They are also extremely loud close up.

They have a nice easy mountain bike trail at Whitelee now too, which is pretty fun to ride between the turbines. Windy though.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

endlessmonotony posted:

the Galaxy Fire 7 was not exactly surprising to people who keep up phone internals given Samsung's design

the Fire 7 is one of Amazon's tablet line made by Quanta.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I believe that was a sarcastic reference to the Note 7's defective battery.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

but it's a different product that already exists :confused:

E: News this morning of virgin media merging with o2.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ronya posted:

I believe that was a sarcastic reference to the Note 7's defective battery.

Y'know you could just say "that's the joke".

I mean, you're correct, but also very on brand.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

blunt posted:

They put the colour temperature (and a lil indicator) on the box though.

It's nice having a couple of temperatures - all my main overhead lights are daylight and get used in the day, then all my side lamps etc are warm white for the evenings. That way I don't get blinded in the evening and everything looks right during the day.

I've heard fancy people have colour changing lights, but I'm not ready to put my lumens on the Internet yet.

Yeah you can get variable CT bulbs, and full colour mixing ones, though I don't see the attraction of those, feels too much like being at work, my house is sensible shades of white :colbert:

You don't have to put your lumens on the internet if you don't want to, you can keep them on the local network, but then you can't control them when you are out of the house (I have never felt the need to do this).

vvv Even when it was the bears...

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 7, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Welp, looks like the government are definitely going to be pinning this one on Foreigners and not their own incompetence at procurement and logistics

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/07/all-400000-gowns-flown-from-turkey-for-nhs-fail-uk-standards

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

justcola posted:

eee you kept that quiet ey. I do like hearing stories about public figures though, they seem to have this certain charisma that gets to people. I've met Andy Burnham and a few other MPs and most had it. Weird.

George W Bush was another one who was apparently intensively likeable in person. Charming, funny, self deprecating, really made you feel like you were important to him. Michelle Obama described him as a "beautiful, funny, kind, sweet man".

A friend of mine from uni in the civil service worked closely with David Cameron, and said he was also super friendly, polite, respectful and always had time for her.
Although I guess for every Cameron you have a Broon who liked to throw furniture around if memory serves.

Edit: Apparently memory doesn't serve, but he did have a temper. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/feb/21/gordon-brown-abusive-treatment-staff

Prince John fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 7, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Shadow chancellor Anneliese Dodds has warned the government to “be quite careful” about saying employees who have been furloughed have become “addicted” to the scheme.

Ooh calm down, you might have someone's eye out with that vehement opposition to a disgraceful smear on millions of people

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Bobstar posted:

Shadow chancellor Anneliese Dodds has warned the government to “be quite careful” about saying employees who have been furloughed have become “addicted” to the scheme.

Ooh calm down, you might have someone's eye out with that vehement opposition to a disgraceful smear on millions of people
I'm sure the government is doing it accidentally, rather than as part of a specific messaging strategy, so this reminder will be very helpful to them

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Public asked to increase their chance of skin cancer and be attacked by wasps in bank holiday shocker

The Gurndbain posted:

Picnics, sunbathing and unlimited rambles will be among the first activities to be allowed when the lockdown loosens, it emerged on Wednesday, after Boris Johnson announced that restrictions would begin to ease from Monday.

With the stringent restrictions due to be reviewed on Thursday – and details to be announced on Sunday – the prime minister is expected to change the rules so that people would be able to leave the house repeatedly in a single day, so long as they keep a safe distance from anyone from outside their household.

Government Twitter accounts meanwhile began broadcasting a new, more nuanced message on Wednesday – “Stay Safe, Save Lives” – with the stark “Stay Home, Save Lives” slogan set to be ditched.

Significant changes in schools are also expected, with teachers and unions expecting that Johnson will on Sunday confirm the 1 June start date for schools to reopen, beginning with children aged 10 and 11 in year six.

Other primary year groups are expected to follow shortly after, and then for years 10 and 12 – the first years for GCSE and A-level courses respectively – to also return to secondary schools.

Other measures still under consideration include the creation of social “bubbles”, allowing households to mix with a limited number of others. Downing Street has not ruled out this option – though some ministers are sceptical about how it could be enforced in practice.

One Whitehall source warned that if people failed to stick to the rules carefully, it could lead to “a catastrophic epidemiological demonstration of the rule of six degrees of separation”.

Chair of the Conservative backbench 1922 committee, Graham Brady, has called for the lifting of “arbitrary rules and limitations on freedom as quickly as possible” and suggested the public had been “a little too willing to stay at home”.

lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
We're going to have a million odd dead because people in this country just would not be told that they couldn't go to garden centres to buy more plastic garden ornaments with LEDs in or to the park to drink sneaky tins of special brew while they half-heartedly feed the ducks, aren't we :/

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Welp, looks like the government are definitely going to be pinning this one on Foreigners and not their own incompetence at procurement and logistics

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/07/all-400000-gowns-flown-from-turkey-for-nhs-fail-uk-standards

idk if this will be the strategy, everybody kinda knows turkey is insane and dysfunctional and the UK government is unlikely to blame them for much considering the numerous economic and security deals we've cut with them.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I assume the daily briefings with updated death figures will be phased out as well then.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

HJB posted:

I assume the daily briefings with updated death figures will be phased out as well then.

Probably. If the plan is to start Operation: Feelgood tomorrow, it's hard to emphasise getting everyone happy and spending money (that they don't have, because you're a bunch of cheap bastards) if you're constantly reminding people of the appalling number of deaths you're responsible for.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
they're definitely still on operation herd immunity, they've just worked out that actually saying it doesn't play well in the media

if they were actually planning on controlling the epidemic they wouldn't loosen the restrictions while we were still at high infection and death rates, and they would be putting some actual effort into expanding the testing program rather than just playing silly games with it

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

We're going to have a million odd dead because people in this country just would not be told that they couldn't go to garden centres to buy more plastic garden ornaments with LEDs in or to the park to drink sneaky tins of special brew while they half-heartedly feed the ducks, aren't we :/

The public isn't asking for this. Business leaders are because they're losing money now and they can replace the staff that die.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

endlessmonotony posted:

Hey now, buying the Apple gets you a decidedly mediocre camera and two years of updates for your bar of glass.

(I'm a tech nerd and I want harsh regulations on tech companies so they stop innovating so goddamn much, because most of their innovations are new ways to force people to buy new devices.)

The latest supported phone for iOS13 is a phone made in 2015?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Was Del Boy in charge of this?

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1258279345333960704

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

justcola posted:

Public asked to increase their chance of skin cancer and be attacked by wasps in bank holiday shocker

lol

I was more expecting it to lean more into rich people stuff, like nannies and house cleaners.

I live in a small flat in a fairly large converted mental hospital with some nice private gardens and people were sunbathing and having picnics two weekends back. Some bellend even fired up a portable barbeque out there. I guess the warning tape all over the communal BBQ pit wasn't enough of a hint. We're all doomed.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

namesake posted:

The public isn't asking for this. Business leaders are because they're losing money now and they can replace the staff that die.

Some of the public definitely are asking for it and it won't take much to convince a whole lot more in spite of reality that it's nothing to worry about, again

My ma said a friend of hers who works in a DUP constituency office is on the phone to old people all day outraged that x is closed when off licences are still open and selling the devil's ale

x is mostly garden centres and churches

crispix fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 7, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

XMNN posted:

if they were actually planning on controlling the epidemic they wouldn't loosen the restrictions while we were still at high infection and death rates

And opening schools first! Herding the demographic with the lowest ability to maintain social distancing together.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

Some of the public definitely are asking for it and it won't take much to convince a whole lot more in spite of reality that it's nothing to worry about, again

So why blame the small percentage of idiots when the damage is being done by the powerful forces in society convincing the public to die for their profits?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Send him to the glue factory

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1258275408237285382?s=19

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

namesake posted:

So why blame the small percentage of idiots when the damage is being done by the powerful forces in society convincing the public to die for their profits?

Like it's not entirely one thing or the other is it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

crispix posted:

You're still blaming the public and not the government or business owners who are the ones really pushing for this

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

crispix posted:

You literally did just blame one of them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

crispix posted:

And then everyone will crowd onto public transport that's running more limited schedules because Business Must Go On and you can't wfh to sell garden centre and DIY products from home! Absolutely throwing people into the fire with this.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Asked why voters turned away from Labour in droves in the last election, he says: “The leadership of the Labour party was [the] number one [reason], fair or unfair.”

at least acknowledges that voters turning away from Labour weren’t being fair in their assessment of Corbyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Does he ever do interviews that aren't behind a paywall?