Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of her model design at a surface glance is clearly rooted in the old-fashioned damsel-in distress/Disney Princess archetypes. And then she pulls out a two-meter metal stick and crushes monster skulls with it for fun, while dragging Cloud along to go see what the next dangerous thing is so she can either crush its skull with her staff as well or set it on fire with magic.

Yes. I feel this is very intentional. For it's time, FF7 was very subversive of JRPG tropes. Cloud is very much the opposite of your old school FF or DQ hero.
And similar to Aeris, Tifa's design is also raises assumptions for genre-savvy players that eventually get subverted. You'd expect the buxom brawler type to be forceful, aggressive, cocky, flirtatious, all that stuff. But that's really the opposite of what Tifa turns out to be. And because of their designs, certain fans have spent two decades mixing up Tifa and Aeris's personalities in their heads. And if you ask me, some of the expanded material made that mistake, too. Thankfully, the remake gets it right.

What I'm saying is that FF7 owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The game is good... the nerds are bad. So it has ever been. Ho Ho Ho...

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The next big fanboy crying point will be when Bugenhagen is rendered in 3D and we get to see if he has feet or if his feet are some kind of giant green ball.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

DeathChicken posted:

The next big fanboy crying point will be when Bugenhagen is rendered in 3D and we get to see if he has feet or if his feet are some kind of giant green ball.

He's sitting on top of a floating orb, there's art for it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Agents are GO! posted:

Bleck posted:

where's that post where johnny injects himself with jenova cells and transforms into a horror and fights you

Johnny ABSOLUTE

Edit, alternatively the beginning of One Winged Angel, but its "BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO"

night slime
May 14, 2014
Was reading stuff about the game and Cloud's backstory and I realized some of the lines about Cloud being a kid and Barret saying he could be a 1-year-old are references to the stuff about being a clone or whatever it is. Dialogue really annoyed me at first as being pointless but I guess it had a point.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Agents are GO! posted:

Johnny ABSOLUTE

Edit, alternatively the beginning of One Winged Angel, but its "BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO"

:discourse:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Have you considered since Clouds character arc barely gets off the ground in this story slice that Cloud is actually the manic pixie dream guy if we must talk about this dynamic.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Beefstew posted:

But here's actually fun FF7R Youtube silly stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkTI7bkfS4

I enjoyed this as another "dunking on cloud" scene. He tries to be all gruff with "gimme something hard" and she goes on and coyote uglies him

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Just Andi Now posted:

I feel like people are very bad at describing Aerith as a character because she's so goddamn normal.

For real, first she's the pure, can-do-no-wrong innocent you must protect, and now she's a manic pixie dream girl despite having almost the exact same personality traits of "kind" and "not afraid to jerk you around if she thinks you're full of poo poo".

Like, what's actually quirky about her?

Yeah, I love that about her. She's breathtakingly normal for someone who's descended from an ancient race of magical people. You can even tell that she wants to be a normal 22-year-old girl. You can also tell that she's trying to get Cloud out of his shell because teasing him lightly is fun and his reactions are cute. The Remake does a good job of showing this! I've never seen her as "LMAO quirky", even in the original game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Aerith going all Pawn Stars on him if he refuses to buy the flower was pretty great. "How much?" "Free." "That's dumb, I'll give you two gil." "Two!? How cheap are you?" "Five!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bewilderment posted:

He's sitting on top of a floating orb, there's art for it.

Bugenhagen rules, just floating around on a magic sphere smoking tons of weed and thinkin deep thoughts about the planet

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Harrow posted:

Bugenhagen rules, just floating around on a magic sphere smoking tons of weed and thinkin deep thoughts about the planet

Got a whole rear end VR system at his place and everything.

I really like how they adding a bit more VR stuff into the remake, I can't wait to see Bugenhagen's fancy power point presentation about the life stream.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pothead Bugenhagen bopping around in VR is a scene I never knew I wanted.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Flopsy posted:

Oh yeaaahh....now I remember why I stopped watching him in the first place. He made some weird rear end statement about beating the poo poo out of SJW's or something--I don't know what the gently caress. Garbage man is garbage let's talk about how the ladies of FF7 are awesome instead.

I mean, He stayed on the Escapist. Shows all you need to know about him.

Also, FF7 ladies are awesome. Can't wait to see how much more awesome they make Yuffie in the next installment.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
So, after the NIbelheim flashback, Cloud ends it on a cliffhanger because he doesn't remember how it panned out and insists that he couldn't possibly have killed Sephiroth.

We're to take him saying in his first encounter with Sephiroth in the remake that, "You can't be here, I killed you with my own-" and then gasping in surprise as his memory being jogged about it, right? I wonder how relevant it'll be for the flashback later on. Maybe he just doesn't remember how he did it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

BaDandy posted:

So, after the NIbelheim flashback, Cloud ends it on a cliffhanger because he doesn't remember how it panned out and insists that he couldn't possibly have killed Sephiroth.

We're to take him saying in his first encounter with Sephiroth in the remake that, "You can't be here, I killed you with my own-" and then gasping in surprise as his memory being jogged about it, right? I wonder how relevant it'll be for the flashback later on. Maybe he just doesn't remember how he did it.

What he actually said in the og is that he couldn't have taken him in a fair fight, doesn't remember how he did but is implied to have thought he'd won until the end of Midgar. Obviously the remake changes the order around a bit but still

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cavelcade posted:

What he actually said in the og is that he couldn't have taken him in a fair fight, doesn't remember how he did but is implied to have thought he'd won until the end of Midgar. Obviously the remake changes the order around a bit but still

doesn't he literally say "I couldn't have killed him" after the kalm flashback though?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, something like "In terms of skill I couldn't have killed him. I really have no idea why I'm alive. Weird."

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

cock hero flux posted:

doesn't he literally say "I couldn't have killed him" after the kalm flashback though?

Oh you're totally right, he's actually surprised that Cloud lives. My bad. He wants to find out what really happened.

Interesting!

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Yeah, that "I killed you with my own..." line in the Remake really stuck out that things are already "different" in some way, possibly before this Sephiroth started loving with things.

From the '97 script:

quote:

Cloud
......and that's the end of my story.

Barret
Wait a drat minute! Ain't there more?

Cloud
... I don't remember.

Aeris
What happened to Sephiroth?

Cloud
In terms of skill, I couldn't have killed him.

Tifa
Official records state Sephiroth is dead. I read it in the newspaper.

Aeris
Shinra, Inc. owns the paper, so you can't rely on that information.

Cloud
......I want to know the truth. I want to know what happened then.
I challenged Sephiroth and lived. Why didn't he kill me?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
My favorite part of all this is Cloud going, "BUT I KILLED YOU??" and Sephiroth is like, "Haha, yeah. Pretty sexy of you," and he's clearly not talking about what happened at NIbelheim.

Part of me wonders if him doing this is trying to jog Cloud's memory of what happened the first time around, or at least assuming that Cloud should remember all of this already.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Sephiroth's final fate, as of Advent Children, is pretty messed up considering he didn't ask to be born an abomination of nature made by Hojo, a monster thinly disguised as a man. Sephiroth's will is too strong to just die, so he instead floats around as an angry ghost in the Lifestream for basically eternity. I kind of hope at the end of this remake series he gets a more peaceful death.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gologle posted:

Sephiroth's final fate, as of Advent Children, is pretty messed up considering he didn't ask to be born an abomination of nature made by Hojo, a monster thinly disguised as a man. Sephiroth's will is too strong to just die, so he instead floats around as an angry ghost in the Lifestream for basically eternity. I kind of hope at the end of this remake series he gets a more peaceful death.

Same. This is what I was talking about earlier. Sephiroth will never ever loving die until he personally comes to terms with his situation. Weirdly though it seems like he's gone from hating Cloud to flat out falling in love/lust? with him and wants him to abandon his friends (most especially Aerith) and elope with him.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"FINALLY, MY OWN CLONE! NOW NEITHER OF US WILL BE VIRGINS!"

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

"FINALLY, MY OWN CLONE! NOW NEITHER OF US WILL BE VIRGINS!"

EXACTLY!!!!!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What's you guys' builds look like for the Top Secrets fight? Bahamut is such a pain in the dick, and MP management is really rough. There's people speedrunning it in like 3 minutes but they're all lunatics with have utterly mastered the combat system and can queue stuff up faster than my eye can even track + already have the Gotterdammerung. I'm not seeing many useful tips on how normal people who haven't already beaten it can approach this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Weirdly though it seems like he's gone from hating Cloud to flat out falling in love/lust? with him and wants him to abandon his friends (most especially Aerith) and elope with him.

There's definitely this kind of creepy mix of love, hate, and just plain obsession in how Sephiroth acts with Cloud this time, all mixed up with Sephiroth being a manipulator. Is his affection for Cloud real, or is he using it as a tool to manipulate him? Could it be both? From Sephiroth's perspective, is there even a difference?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All these questions and more answered in my fanfic.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

There's definitely this kind of creepy mix of love, hate, and just plain obsession in how Sephiroth acts with Cloud this time, all mixed up with Sephiroth being a manipulator. Is his affection for Cloud real, or is he using it as a tool to manipulate him? Could it be both? From Sephiroth's perspective, is there even a difference?

I'm guessing it's the last one. For him affection and manipulation are essentially the same thing.

exquisite tea posted:

All these questions and more answered in my fanfic.

No link?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Flopsy posted:

No link?

Nah, Nintendo crossovers are kinda passe.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What's you guys' builds look like for the Top Secrets fight? Bahamut is such a pain in the dick, and MP management is really rough. There's people speedrunning it in like 3 minutes but they're all lunatics with have utterly mastered the combat system and can queue stuff up faster than my eye can even track + already have the Gotterdammerung. I'm not seeing many useful tips on how normal people who haven't already beaten it can approach this.

I was able to do it with a super-defensive setup, but I needed weapons with 6 materia slots and Reprieve activated if possible. I got enough points to activate Weapon Level 6, reset the SP via Chadley, then reassigned SP as needed.

Equipment:
Cloud: Iron Blade, Chain Bangle, Headband
Tifa: Sonic Strikers, Supreme Bracer, Headband
Aerith: Reinforced Staff, Rune Armlet, Healing Carcanet

Materia:
Cloud and Tifa: 2x HP Up (both at least 4 stars if possible), MP Up (3-4 stars as well), Healing, Time, Barrier, Revival; Elemental-Ice on armor. Cloud gets an extra slot for either Steadfast Block or Lightning.
Aerith, 2x HP Up. 2x MP Up, Magic Up, Healing-Magnify, Revival. Last slot can be another Magic Up, Prayer, or Lightning

Cloud and Tifa Haste at the start of the fight and jump in to melee, Aerith attacks and uses her offensive abilities while casting Cure (not Cura/Curaga) on the team when HP falls to below 50%. With Reinforced Staff and the Magic Up boost, you spend little enough MP to get a 3000+ heal that you'll always be topped up at the beginning of every fight.

Shiva becomes an afterthought with your immunity to Ice and Sleep. Fat Chocobo and Leviathan are doable. For Bahamut, save Cloud and Tifa's limit breaks until Ifrit shows up then hit him with both to knock him out immediately. When Bahamut signals Umbral Strikes and starts moving toward you character, switch immediately. Manawall at least two people once his countdown is at 2 so that they can survive Megaflare.

anakha fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 7, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Flopsy posted:

I'm guessing it's the last one. For him affection and manipulation are essentially the same thing.

I mean, this is the guy who thought of, "Hey, what's it like coming back to your hometown cuz I don't have one," as the closest thing to small talk and was like, "Yeah, I miss when my friends and I would sneak into the VR room and have cool anime battles," because even poo poo he did for fun involved battle.

I think a lot about how isolation is a common theme in this game and about how part of the journey is breaking out of it. Every character deals with it in some way, but I feel like Sephiroth is a good example of what happens when it comes to isolation and dehumanization through idolizing someone. They actually do a pretty good job of highlighting that in Crisis Core; he's spoiled, but in a way where it feels like people walk on eggshells around him. He can just say no to doing a mission and no one pushes back. Both his friends are work friends and one of them is actively jealous of him. Even in the original game, you can tell that he gets annoyed about being asked to pose for a picture.

So like, if you've become some eldritch being and discover that you can enter the brain of a specific "clone" and he's acting like he's got thought and opinions of his own, and then you find out that no, this IS a different person who just happens to have a telepathic link with you because of Jenova cells, I imagine that that could get borderline addictive really quick.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

I mean, this is the guy who thought of, "Hey, what's it like coming back to your hometown cuz I don't have one," as the closest thing to small talk and was like, "Yeah, I miss when my friends and I would sneak into the VR room and have cool anime battles," because even poo poo he did for fun involved battle.

I think a lot about how isolation is a common theme in this game and about how part of the journey is breaking out of it. Every character deals with it in some way, but I feel like Sephiroth is a good example of what happens when it comes to isolation and dehumanization through idolizing someone. They actually do a pretty good job of highlighting that in Crisis Core; he's spoiled, but in a way where it feels like people walk on eggshells around him. He can just say no to doing a mission and no one pushes back. Both his friends are work friends and one of them is actively jealous of him. Even in the original game, you can tell that he gets annoyed about being asked to pose for a picture.

So like, if you've become some eldritch being and discover that you can enter the brain of a specific "clone" and he's acting like he's got thought and opinions of his own, and then you find out that no, this IS a different person who just happens to have a telepathic link with you because of Jenova cells, I imagine that that could get borderline addictive really quick.

In addition to that he's also the only person who's ever been able to best him in the thing he was literally made for. Three times if we're going by timeline logic. Cloud's probably the closest thing Sephiroth has ever had to an equal and probably the only person who's actively had his undivided attention for so long. When I say I think Cloud is the only person in the world who's real to him, I mean it. And when you've been isolated and put on a pedestal for that long without anyone you can truly relate to (Even Angeal and Genesis weren't quite on the same page as him) it makes sense he'd latch on hardcore to first thing he registers as something like himself but not quite. There's definitely love in there, but it's unhealthy as gently caress.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of her model design at a surface glance is clearly rooted in the old-fashioned damsel-in distress/Disney Princess archetypes. And then she pulls out a two-meter metal stick and crushes monster skulls with it for fun, while dragging Cloud along to go see what the next dangerous thing is so she can either crush its skull with her staff as well or set it on fire with magic.

Also chairs. She uses chairs, too.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the Nibelheim flashback, when Cloud says he was kinda friendly with Sephiroth and was one of the only people who was, was that really Cloud or was Zack Seph's friend? Tifa's psychotherapy in disc 2 doesn't address it

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Given what we see in Crisis Core, it's Zack, I'm pretty sure. Cloud's not really even on Sephiroth's radar until Cloud stabs him with the Buster Sword and then flings him into the lifestream.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Also chairs. She uses chairs, too.

Gotta admit that I did not expect one of the absolute best scenes in the game to be "Aerith hits a man in the face with a steel chair"

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

cheetah7071 posted:

In the Nibelheim flashback, when Cloud says he was kinda friendly with Sephiroth and was one of the only people who was, was that really Cloud or was Zack Seph's friend? Tifa's psychotherapy in disc 2 doesn't address it

Mostly Zack, but he does ask the question to Cloud because, you know, he's from Nibelheim.

I think it highlights how Cloud WANTED to be cool war buddies with him, in addition to the Zack thing, so he remembers Sephiroth trying to make small talk with him to be polite as a friend thing and not "Your boss was trying to be polite with you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I beat that fight once and basically it's play defensively and wear a revival accessory just in case you die to megaflare. The last boss of that section is a pushover compared to Bahamut.