Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Oh hi there's the USO move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igJGI5gBzjU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

saintonan posted:

Earnings this week:

https://twitter.com/Stocktwits/status/1257036113383809025

Avis on Monday; Disney, Oxy, Regeneron on Tuesday; GM, PayPal, Wynn, TMobile on Wednesday; Hilton, JetBlue, Uber, ABInBev on Thursday. Not as star-studded as last week, but should be a good look at what sectors are utterly hosed.
So how was this week for these corps?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Grouchio posted:

https://twitter.com/PayPalNews/status/1258132863179821056?s=20

Pretty good for PayPal.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Grouchio posted:

Generally positive for internet-connected companies, generally neutral for others.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Aaaaand I missed out on all of it.

Also hosed up timing the W put, lost 20%.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

This was all me having to buy a Nintendo on eBay.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I can't believe every major asset class and sector is still green today. I guess $DXY is down but that's it.

Must be tons of money coming out of money market accounts and moving into assets.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally closed out that /ES short from earlier. What a wild ride. I still think the markets gonna take a dump today but not willing to bet money on it

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Bumpin' this since it seems like more than just me was wondering.

Any reputable platform will calculate this for you, and there isn't a limit on offsets inside the same year that I know of - don't make moves over the calendar year. So if you make $1000 and lose $1000 inside the same year gambling that's just $0.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

IMO unless you're using options to hedge against loss on a long position, you basically do need to be glued to your screens.

I don't agree but I don't play on margin and only trade as small time gambling, so I'm never at risk (small caveat here for 0DTE options but I rarely use those and then yeah, I don't leave the computer until I'm done with them).

I set conditional orders for my profit and loss exits with trailing stops within whatever margin I'm comfortable with, and then I can go have lunch without worrying about what the underlying is doing precisely this second.

Like I said, I'm loving around with a few hundred dollars, so obviously nobody should listen to what I say anyway.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

skipdogg posted:

Also picked up at SPY put. 8 May 20 SPY 290 p @ 2.34

Not sure what my exit is, if it gets to 287 I'll bail

Got tired of watching this bounce around 289 the last couple of hours. got out @ 2.87 and of course then watched it go to 3.06 30 seconds later. Oh well, I'll take the 20% return on it.

I think SPY makes a big move before closing today, I just don't know in what direction. I'm leaning down, I think we see high 286 before the day is done.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
To think I almost opened a USO short position when it was +5. Oh well.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Oscar Wild posted:

Bought spy puts expiring today 288 at 1.52. Going for small gains.

Panic sold at 1.58. I don't have the cojones for 0 dte options.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
Max pain for SPY tomorrow was $285 though I imagine it’s gone up for the day, so points down. VWAP for the day 288.6, so points up.

I’ll probably go short if we make a mad push for 2890 again, otherwise think I’ll wait till very end of day and try to short the after hours futures. I’m surprised if the current dump runs through EOD in a straight line.

It’s a pretty exciting 7 points, 2878 to 2885.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Max pain for SPY tomorrow was $285 though I imagine it’s gone up for the day, so points down. VWAP for the day 288.6, so points up.

I’ll probably go short if we make a mad push for 2890 again, otherwise think I’ll wait till very end of day and try to short the after hours futures. I’m surprised if the current dump runs through EOD in a straight line.

It’s a pretty exciting 7 points, 2878 to 2885.

So you're shorting EOD in an expectation that we don't see the positive+1.X% swings we've seen the past few days?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Freezer posted:

So you're shorting EOD in an expectation that we don't see the positive+1.X% swings we've seen the past few days?

Guessing no matter what happens we dump 4-5pm. I don’t trust overnight.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

karoshi posted:

SPX May/8 call butterfly 2815/2880/2945 $21.60, hope for theta and a boring session. e: Expiration breakeven at 2840 and 2920.

Out at $22.65, getting tired of staring at SPX's butt-hole for hours and it's getting late and deffo don't want to hold overnight. I think I overpaid on entry.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

Panic sold at 1.58. I don't have the cojones for 0 dte options.

I trade 7-9DTE options and was wondering why you prefer 0DTE for daytrading?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
USO has a really hard support at 20.30 where it's immediately been bought up a fairly high volume whenever it touches it, except now where buying volume is a lot lower and it gets floated

Real curious what's gonna happen if it gets retested.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

This isn’t the retirement thread

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

VelociBacon posted:

When you buy an option you're paying for time value and delta. If you daytrade an option, then time value intraday is less relevant than the underlying moving. If you bought ATM options on SPY today (yeah they don't exist but with current vol these are in the ball park): 0-dte will run you about $0.9. 7-DTE will run you about $4.00

You've bought yourself .5 delta with both, but you need 4x the movement to get the same percentage gain as you have with the 0-day.

If you get ~9 points of movement against your position you've lost $3 just to delta while your losses were capped at $1 with the 0-day.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Who's ready for a big red candle today?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Interesting - severe/critical coronavirus patients have about 100x the normal amount of RANTES proteins compared to healthy people, while moderately ill coronavirus patients are around 5x normal levels.

COR388 has been proven to reduce RANTES levels significantly

Lots of questions of correlation/causation here but uh... that's potentially big news for some of us

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

When you buy an option you're paying for time value and delta. If you daytrade an option, then time value intraday is less relevant than the underlying moving. If you bought ATM options on SPY today (yeah they don't exist but with current vol these are in the ball park): 0-dte will run you about $0.9. 7-DTE will run you about $4.00

You've bought yourself .5 delta with both, but you need 4x the movement to get the same percentage gain as you have with the 0-day.

If you get ~9 points of movement against your position you've lost $3 just to delta while your losses were capped at $1 with the 0-day.

Thanks, I guess what put me off is uncertainty about theta as the day goes on and the option becomes more/less likely to be ITM. For example if SPY is at 290 and we're talking about a 0DTE call option ATM with a bullish sentiment, wouldn't the theta be way way way higher if this was bought at say noon vs 9AM? All other things being equal? I guess I lean towards 7-9DTE because I don't have to worry about the time of day impacting it. I appreciate how delta works in relation to DTE and distance from ITM.

e:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Interesting - severe/critical coronavirus patients have about 100x the normal amount of RANTES proteins compared to healthy people, while moderately ill coronavirus patients are around 5x normal levels.

COR388 has been proven to reduce RANTES levels significantly

Lots of questions of correlation/causation here but uh... that's potentially big news for some of us

RANTES seem to be a measure of inflammatory response to some extent so I guess the actual question is whether covid19 patients have a significantly higher degree of expression of this protein at the same disease state as someone with a critical respiratory illness caused by another bug. This is all way above my pay grade but like you say could be a correlation thing.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 7, 2020

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Shorted at 2874 because I need to feel something

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
wet fart candle, no consistent movement since 3:30pm

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Either a green candle or a green run into EOD, don't know which. Maybe both.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Anyone here think $HEAR has more room to increase in share price, or is the run-up to earnings the bump it deserves and nothing more?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Man I am bad at this.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

GramCracker posted:

Anyone here think $HEAR has more room to increase in share price, or is the run-up to earnings the bump it deserves and nothing more?

Definitely going to $50 tomorrow.

*stares at his 1,200 shares*

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Sepist posted:

*frantically buys more calls* :shepspends:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

skipdogg posted:

Man I am bad at this.
Sounds like a thread subtitle right there.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Freezer posted:

Bought a bunch of SPXS at 2900. I couldn't resist.

Just sold these for a small profit, I'm afraid of overnight action.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Whats the deal with $HEAR, everything I see says stay the hell away from it

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Sold some TLT calls today about halfway through its climb for a decent profit today, although I left a bunch of money on the table.

I know that TLT and SPY aren't directly correlated, but I thought in general they were negatively correlated, it was really strange to watch both of them climb so much.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

skipdogg posted:

Whats the deal with $HEAR, everything I see says stay the hell away from it

Everyone buying headphones to play Call of Duty and Zoom meetings. Guidance might blow though since they are seasonal/situational. I'm in on the lower end in stock so I'm not really sweating it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I was super busy all afternoon and missed both the candle and didn't have time to execute my planned rebalance.

oh well, tomorrow.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Guessing no matter what happens we dump 4-5pm. I don’t trust overnight.

Welp, hoping you didn't go through with this one. Weirdly climbing now.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Sepist posted:

Down 12% already, RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Freezer posted:

Welp, hoping you didn't go through with this one. Weirdly climbing now.

Yes I did and fine, holding through limit up then