Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

I never thought the inflection point where the PRC overtakes the US would happen so quickly but inside a matter of months the trajectories of the two countries has sharply reversed themselves. The entire western pundit class called this China's chernobyl moment in January, now it's increasing looking like this is the West's 1991 moment.

extremely what's happening and I guess we can only hope that the USA fares better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

duh....

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lpzie posted:

duh....

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

You know who doesn't get roni? That's right, wombats.

https://twitter.com/today_tasmania/status/1257860216806232065

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

facetoucher cat posted:

PlantNet too.

https://plantnet.org/en/

It's a research biodiversity app

I normally use iNaturalist for IDing stuff, it covers plants and animals.

This year it seems like it has less traffic though, so I'll check these out

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Slippery Nipple posted:

the greatest irony of covid-19 is that the internet should have made us more equipped to deal with a pandemic than ever before, but instead has made us so stupid we're relitigating germ theory

almost as if tech can't actually solve humanity's challenges

it owns, we'd probably be less stressed without the internet. imagine having the internet during the bubonic plague or smallpox, lol. "my god, another tb outbreak on the cairo express, somebody do something!"

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 00:12 on May 8, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/sarahcpr/status/1258455086663114752

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

facetoucher cat posted:

unless I'm somehow reading this incorrectly black women are really being gutted by this and it's not so much males or black males as I've been lead to believe

yeah pretty much Black women are screwed both by historical neglect from the healthcare system, and by being in customer facing or care jobs.

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

Slippery Nipple posted:

the greatest irony of covid-19 is that the internet should have made us more equipped to deal with a pandemic than ever before, but instead has made us so stupid we're relitigating germ theory

lowtax warned us

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1258534363869798401?s=20

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

also I wonder if the higher number of Black victims of covid is because fewer Black workers are able to retire compared to white people their age

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

it's amazing how quickly china can manufacture poo poo like this and we're just like "paper masks uh i dunno"

Probably helpful to have the manufacturing center for the entire world located there. Anyway I'm told that saves us a few pennies on the dollar and creates more profits for our management/creative/capital classes so who's to say otherwise?

twoday
May 4, 2005

GATES FOUNDATION posted:

almost like one country is responsible for making all the poo poo people use on earth

something something means of production, don't remember the full quote

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

twoday posted:

sir this is an arbys would u like some plague meat

twoday
May 4, 2005

Rah! posted:

sir this is an arbys would u like some plague meat

make it a triple

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I am an IT shithead for a large multinational corporation. I have access to hundreds of perfectly serviceable laptops that are missing storage devices. can we get a thing going for laptops for poor kids so they can do distance learning!?

serious question, fucken PM me.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

twoday posted:

give them all to the rich people and then beg them for scraps I think

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

a_pineapple posted:

I am an IT shithead for a large multinational corporation. I have access to hundreds of perfectly serviceable laptops that are missing storage devices. can we get a thing going for laptops for poor kids so they can do distance learning!?

There has to be USB linux distribution that is easy to connect to the net and provides the kids with enough tools to do school work.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

There has to be USB linux distribution that is easy to connect to the net and provides the kids with enough tools to do school work.

Literally all of them

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

a_pineapple posted:

my school system is just giving them to kids for free and not expecting them back which is great because my school is poor as gently caress and almost 90% minority, I’m pleasantly surprised that they are being helped by anyone, ever. One laptop per kid no restrictions. any school system that acts like they can’t do this is full of poo poo.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Literally all of them

Shhhh, I was trying to stir up some linux beef.
Don't deny me, my sick obsession of watching linux nerds go at it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Atrocious Joe posted:

also I wonder if the higher number of Black victims of covid is because fewer Black workers are able to retire compared to white people their age

white people can afford physicals and don't spend their lives being black in america

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

twoday posted:

make it a triple

[ringing a bell]

ALL HANDS ON DECK

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Slippery Nipple posted:

Tech can solve things.
Its the willingness to do so that fucks it up.
We could solve world hunger loving decades ago by moving excess food to areas with none.
But no one with that money wants to do so as it wouldn't get them power, profits, recognition, or any combo of these.

We could have stopped or halted Covid, but those with the power were more interested in dumping their stocks or covering it up lest it damage the name of China.
gently caress, it was an Iranian plane company that spread it to most of the EU and US, all in the name of profit over willingness of others protection.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

twoday posted:

make it a triple

sir why are u challenging the presdiet

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

only one man gets double thats trumo

double is the biggest

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

many people are saying trumo should get two

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

big buff ice cream man ran up to me they were crying they said sir mr presdiet sir have another scoop please sir

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Slippery Nipple posted:

Frankly, the sooner the kids learn that lesson, the better chance humanity has.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

BONGHITZ posted:

WTB communism

:thunk:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

10,000 births a day in the US so we can afford to sustain it as long as the stocks recover.

it'll take a while but im pretty sure birth rates in the us are probably gonna go down too

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

FizFashizzle posted:

it's amazing how quickly china can manufacture poo poo like this and we're just like "paper masks uh i dunno"

Well remember when Clinton let China forcibly come into the country and beat up middle America and take all our manufacturing jobs away and then have big yearly profit checks to manufacturing ceos and shareholders who didn’t want them but had no choice but to cash them and buy boats and mansions????

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
windows 10 will run forever without activation, you just get a little 'Please activate' overlay on your desktop and you can't go into control panel and change your desktop wallpaper.

You can, however, right-click on any image and select Set As Wallpaper.

gg MS

Don't ask me about os/2 warp though.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

empty whippet box posted:

it'll take a while but im pretty sure birth rates in the us are probably gonna go down too

Lucky unborn kids. I wouldn't wish this existence on anyone.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
526 benghazis today

solid showing for a thursday , 2nd highest

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/thetribunechd/status/1257217855705112577?s=20

quote:

The Maharashtra government's decision to consider the vaccine as treatment for the virus comes after it showed encouraging results after it was administered to some patients, according to Dr Mukherjee.

https://twitter.com/aparanjape/status/1258281982095585280?s=20

quote:

The government's decision was taken following "positive results" of research carried out by experts at the Haffkine Institute in Mumbai. The institute was founded in 1899 and is one of the oldest biomedical research institutes in India.

Speaking to India Today TV about the request, Secretary, Medical Education and Drugs Department, Maharashtra, Dr Sanjay Mukherjee, said, "The Haffkine Institute has carried out preliminary studies and their outcome is positive. We think it warrants clinical trials. So relevant applications have been made for the same."

Researchers at the Haffkine Institute have been studying the BCG vaccine and its effectiveness in treating Covid-19 patients. Sources privy to the development say the research has shown positive results during the tests conducted at the institute.

The initial research reportedly hints that people who received BCG vaccines are found to be more immune against Covid-19 than those who did not receive the vaccine.

Based on their results, researchers believe that the effect of Covid-19 can be reduced among people who have mild to moderate symptoms if they are vaccinated with BCG. For those with severe symptoms, severity of the symptoms will get reduced to moderate/mild level if they are given the BCG vaccine, the researchers believe.

twoday has issued a correction as of 00:52 on May 8, 2020

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
over 2100 deaths today! thank you!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fosborb posted:

526 benghazis today

solid showing for a thursday , 2nd highest

kinda makin me think we're starting to see the beginning of the surge already

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Crazyweasel posted:

Well remember when Clinton let China forcibly come into the country and beat up middle America and take all our manufacturing jobs away and then have big yearly profit checks to manufacturing ceos and shareholders who didn’t want them but had no choice but to cash them and buy boats and mansions????

honestly, good for china. they did what was right for their country while this country's imbecile capital class bought into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

"Typically, the lungs were congested and heavy, with a maximum combined lung weight of 3420 g in case 11. The mean combined lung weight was 1988 g (median, 2088 g). Standard lung weights for men and women are 840 g and 639 g"

(viral) load-bearing drywall lungs