Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/cspanJeremy/status/1258076164234579969?s=20

https://lawandcrime.com/awkward/that-awkward-moment-when-a-toilet-flushes-during-supreme-court-oral-arguments/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

more like anal arguments

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pfft, I've had bigger poops and you don't see me bragging about em

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Aw, I was hoping it would followed by the audience going crazy like on Married With Children :(

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1258097668536111106?s=19

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Perhaps appropriate that the lawyer was defending the right of robots of spamming has "free speech".

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Delaware, New Jersey, and American Samoa and the US Virgin Isles (heh) are the US States and Territories that prohibit Child Marriage, if you were interested and didn't want to Google

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

quote:

a diet of pizza grease and sand

hell, same

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

mods please rename me impassable fecal mass tia

e: too long, i'll settle for fecal mass

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

fecal mass manager

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
fecal mass effect

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

fecal mass effect

Andromeda wasn't that bad

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

call center manager posted:

mods please rename me impassable fecal mass tia

e: too long, i'll settle for fecal mass

a correction was made

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pfft, I've had bigger poops and you don't see me bragging about em

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

a correction was made

holy poo poo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's a title that's going to raise some questions, might want to keep a link to this page handy

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

well if it had been maybe it would have found its way out a little sooner

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

I just can't stop wondering how this was ever a sensible headline. Maybe people in general just not built up the vocabulary for this? Maybe there just weren't reliable generally agreed upon meanings for words like orbit and launch? Maybe even the word space was ambiguous enough that you had to add "115 miles into" so that people wouldn't think the US had hurled a man into some area somewhere.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I just can't stop wondering how this was ever a sensible headline. Maybe people in general just not built up the vocabulary for this? Maybe there just weren't reliable generally agreed upon meanings for words like orbit and launch? Maybe even the word space was ambiguous enough that you had to add "115 miles into" so that people wouldn't think the US had hurled a man into some area somewhere.

Clickbait has been around longer than clicks. They know what they're doing with headlines.

https://twitter.com/elaine_paige/status/1258461781703512064

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:psyboom:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:perfect:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It helps convey how hard you have to throw something to get it to space.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

"He was about to pick up the bird when the latter quacked and exploded with a loud rapport..."

Thank goodness it clarified which party quacked and then exploded, I was thinking for a moment it was the man and not the yeasty duck.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly that hardly even bothers me when the article's full of delicious phrases/potential epitaphs like "penetrated by a fragment of flying duck"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'll admit, I went back and read it out loud to my wife once I hit "his duckship."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/stereogum/status/1258541347327238145?s=20

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

To shreds, you say...

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

AKA Pseudonym posted:

This was the first American man in space. Don't forget that the space program was a series of increasing distances, eventually beyond the atmosphere, including unmanned, animal, and finally human payloads (before the revolt of the pilots). The headline is a perfect reflection of the program at that time.

Edit: I found the source article on the Times site. A real time capsule!

https://imgur.com/a/MKdQYnv

beefnoodle has a new favorite as of 04:50 on May 8, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/lionel_trolling/status/1258384905676955651

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Reply is not edit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deliberately?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Another case for the National Exploding Organism Alarm Bureau (B.O.O.M).

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
What I wouldn't give to be referred in an article as "his duckship".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaare you gonna take me home tonight

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Shifty Nipples posted:

It helps convey how hard you have to throw something to get it to space.

I woke up in the middle of the night a few nights back and started thinking about old X-Men comics, you know, as a perfectly normal brain operates, and it struck me that Sentinels - those nutty old mass-produced murder robots - were built with the ability to breach escape velocity, which I'd always thought was supposed to be a really challenging thing to do

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Samuringa posted:

What I wouldn't give to be referred in an article as "his duckship".
Missed opportunity for his late duckship.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I woke up in the middle of the night a few nights back and started thinking about old X-Men comics, you know, as a perfectly normal brain operates, and it struck me that Sentinels - those nutty old mass-produced murder robots - were built with the ability to breach escape velocity, which I'd always thought was supposed to be a really challenging thing to do
Depends on what you're escaping from and where you're already at. Ex. It's easier to escape the sun than to visit it if you're starting at Earths surface. Just getting to orbit around the earth is colloquially halfway to anywhere because you're nearly to Earth escape velocity.

Gravity is a weak rear end force.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

zedprime posted:

Missed opportunity for his late duckship.

Depends on what you're escaping from and where you're already at. Ex. It's easier to escape the sun than to visit it if you're starting at Earths surface. Just getting to orbit around the earth is colloquially halfway to anywhere because you're nearly to Earth escape velocity.

Gravity is a weak rear end force.

Funny you mention that specifically since if I'm remembering the story right (in keeping with this thread's remit as a place for weird news, naturally) the Sentinels were specifically flying into / at the Sun since they were convinced it was the cause of human mutation and oh my god I just typed that sentence.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

After living through the 1970s and 1980s as a rock star with his butt intact, somehow gardening found a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNq5HjOuEI