Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never underestimate a droid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

MariusLecter posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and presume that this was the intended send off for Fisher but the studio had other plans.

Maybe, but then you don't get the scene with her and Luke later in the film.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
There were a lot of things wrong with Rise of Skywalker but boy, it was so gross seeing them wheel out Carrie Fisher Weekend at Bernie's style on the regular to have her stare wistfully into the distance while some other character explains what's happening since all they have is recycled cut line reads from Fisher.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Cable Guys pronunciation of the name Robin just as he drives the drill into the wall is so great

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The guy who sells appliance parts in Brave Little Toaster slammed down a pitcher of Flab-a-way and then are a handful of marshmallows

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Cat Hatter posted:

Maybe, but then you don't get the scene with her and Luke later in the film.

why not just make her a force ghost boom bang done

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay that further convinces me it was originally supposed to be Leia before a rewrite happened at some point.

I would agree, except I remember hearing a lot of talk about how "Episode 9 was always supposed to be Leia's movie, just like episode 7 was Han's and episode 8 was Luke's"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Patattack posted:

I would agree, except I remember hearing a lot of talk about how "Episode 9 was always supposed to be Leia's movie, just like episode 7 was Han's and episode 8 was Luke's"
Yeah, I highly doubt they were planning to kill off Leia and Luke in the same film.

Beartaco posted:

There were a lot of things wrong with Rise of Skywalker but boy, it was so gross seeing them wheel out Carrie Fisher Weekend at Bernie's style on the regular to have her stare wistfully into the distance while some other character explains what's happening since all they have is recycled cut line reads from Fisher.
I think with the benefit of hindsight we can all agree the correct course of action would have been just not to bother making Rise of Skywalker :v:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Promoted Pawn posted:

why not just make her a force ghost boom bang done

It would be hard to do without giving away what Luke was up to. I still would have liked to see Leia go out that way, I just think it messes with the last third of the film too much.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Sorry, I know people have probably discussed Star Wars 9 to death at this point, but I don't use twitter or anything so I just watched it recently under quarantine being like "well people didnt like Last Jedi either, how bad could it be?" Hoo boy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Never underestimate a droid.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Beartaco posted:

Sorry, I know people have probably discussed Star Wars 9 to death at this point, but I don't use twitter or anything so I just watched it recently under quarantine being like "well people didnt like Last Jedi either, how bad could it be?" Hoo boy.

It’s strange how JJ Abrams made one really average SW movie and then the entire franchise was put on hold and no one made any more Star Wars films.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I rewatched the original trilogy in 1998 as a sort of warm up to the new one that was coming out

Realized I didn't honestly care for the movies at all and so I haven't watched a star war since then :c00lbert:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

I rewatched the original trilogy in 1998 as a sort of warm up to the new one that was coming out

Realized I didn't honestly care for the movies at all and so I haven't watched a star war since then :c00lbert:

thats epic

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember a six-month period in 1994 when nobody talked about Star Wars at all...

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I remember a six-month period in 1994 when nobody talked about Star Wars at all...

That's not true. There were a dozen Star Wars games in the nineties. Mankind has never stopped talking about Star Wars since 1977!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Don’t forget the books...... my god the books

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

TIE Fighter came out in July 1994 so this checks out

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, but the books and video games weren’t getting constant coverage between mainstream media and not-yet-existing social media.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Yeah, but the books and video games weren’t getting constant coverage between mainstream media and not-yet-existing social media.

The theatrical re-releases and home video stuff were a pretty big deal in the 90's.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The X-wing / Tie fighter games were incredible.

Come to think of it the X-wing books (written by one of the guys that worked on the X-wing games) were incredible too.

Turns out Star Wars is good if you basically strip out the Magic Incredible Powerful Hero People That Are Super Great At Everything and just make it about a war among stars..... hmmm

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The theatrical re-releases and home video stuff were a pretty big deal in the 90's.

Weren't those later on? Like right before TPM came out?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

TPM was 99.

edit: to be clear, the rereleases came out early 97.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There was a big deal THX remastered version of the movies that were released on video in 1995. The "special edition" re-releases were a few years after that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

marshmallow creep posted:

TPM was 99.

edit: to be clear, the rereleases came out early 97.

Yeah, that's what I meant, later on, after 94.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Mierenneuker posted:

That's not true. There were a dozen Star Wars games in the nineties. Mankind has never stopped talking about Star Wars since 1977!

I never realized Mick Foley was a big Star Wars fan. I don't recall him ever mentioning it in his matches or on commentary.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PicklePants posted:

I never realized Mick Foley was a big Star Wars fan. I don't recall him ever mentioning it in his matches or on commentary.

His nerdy daughter is a huge Star Wars fan, she probably got it from him

https://www.instagram.com/p/B849vQmAvzq/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba5OPc2grfm/

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

The first film came out seven months before I was born, so I essentially grew up with the original trilogy. I have yet to see a single Star Wars movie.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Related to the St.Elsewhere-universe chat about connectivity between different series that have the same creator stuff that was talked about a long time ago in this thread.

Does anybody know if Shaun the Sheep exists in the Wallace and Gromit universe? There are a bunch of cool, cute references to past W&G films in other W&G films, and they do call the sheep they save Shaun in A Close Shave. But I dunno if it is the same sheep.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yes, that's the same sheep. The sheep from Timmy Time is also the baby sheep from Shaun the Sheep.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

His nerdy daughter is a huge Star Wars fan, she probably got it from him

https://www.instagram.com/p/B849vQmAvzq/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba5OPc2grfm/

I learned something new today! Thank you!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

NtotheTC posted:

Turns out Star Wars is good if you basically strip out the Magic Incredible Powerful Hero People That Are Super Great At Everything and just make it about a war among stars..... hmmm

Rogue One is awesome and has only one Force sensitive character so that checks out.

But then there's Solo.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Krispy Wafer posted:

Rogue One is awesome and has only one Force sensitive character so that checks out.

Mandalorian only has one too, and it also is great

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

beanieson posted:

Mandalorian only has one too, and it also is great

True, I like how everyone seems honestly really freaked out at the idea of a force sensitive too. Like none of them have ever encountered anyone like that before and they probably don't believe it's even real.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched the last Star Wars movie. Maybe this comes up and I know it's not the best place but I'd rather ask here then somewhere else and get inundated with fandom. And I say that as a Star Wars fan. But didn't Anakin build C-3PO? Or was that just a look alike. And if so, at any point was 3PO significant? I know he apparently has some scenes in the last film but do they pertain to anything regarding his construction. I mean, I never liked 3PO. Me in '84 probably had some poor opinions of him that have not aged well. But I would have loved if he had some Force-ness based on who created him. He's just been such a twee character for decades that I would really like for him to Force choke someone by the end. Like in a fit of stress and duress let that dude have something. beyond maybe just having some info in his head which is what I'm assuming was the deal in a movie I aint seen.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Rogue One is the most overrated Star War, and Solo is the most underrated.

Mandalorian is good, but I wish The Child had a name or his species had a name, so people didn't call him Baby Yoda, because I keep encountering people who are confused and think it's a prequel.

The Ape of Naples posted:

let that dude have something. beyond maybe just having some info in his head which is what I'm assuming was the deal in a movie I aint seen.

This is all it is, and being built by Vader never comes up in any movie after Phantom Menace.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baron von Eevl posted:

True, I like how everyone seems honestly really freaked out at the idea of a force sensitive too. Like none of them have ever encountered anyone like that before and they probably don't believe it's even real.

.... and even when they start believing in it they think it's a joke. :v:

https://i.imgur.com/u3XhftE.gifv

rydiafan posted:

Mandalorian is good, but I wish The Child had a name or his species had a name, so people didn't call him Baby Yoda, because I keep encountering people who are confused and think it's a prequel.

It's especially weird when you consider the ridiculous amount of detail they wrote into every other character's backstory in the old Star Wars expanded universe but George Lucas allegedly made it a rule that Yoda's species or home planet would never be revealed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The droids are the biggest plot hole in the Star Wars movies and it's an entirely self-inflicted wound. Lucas didn't have to make C3PO Anakin's maker project, but doing that screwed up a bunch of later character arcs. It's no use trying to make sense of it.

rydiafan posted:

Rogue One is the most overrated Star War, and Solo is the most underrated.

I only ever watch the last 30 minutes of Rogue One, but I've watched that a dozen times. It's the best half hour of Star Wars ever filmed. Solo though...it just seemed boring. I honestly can't recall the plot line. It wasn't bad, but it was meh.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

The droids are the biggest plot hole in the Star Wars movies and it's an entirely self-inflicted wound. Lucas didn't have to make C3PO Anakin's maker project, but doing that screwed up a bunch of later character arcs. It's no use trying to make sense of it.

I really just want it to be very significant or conversely just a 10 minute sketch where 3PO is some how doing unintentional slap-stick force things while constantly embarrassed and apologizing. Like a Marx Bros sketch.
I get that droids can't use the force and I know someone will post the one EU book that was not canon about a jedi droid. But still. Everyone loves R2 and he's some deep secret Rebel the whole time but C-3PO was at least was made by Anakin. Maybe at least have his force ghost version waddle into some deep moment with all the dead Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krispy Wafer posted:

Solo though...it just seemed boring. I honestly can't recall the plot line. It wasn't bad, but it was meh.

Solo never really had a chance to be good, they started filming in January with original directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (who directed 21 Jump Street and The Lego Movie) but booted them out in June (just three and a half weeks before filming was scheduled to end) and brought in Ron Howard to direct the rest and do reshoots. The also booted out the original editor Chris Dickens (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz, Slumdog Millionaire) at that point and replaced him with Pietro Scalia (JFK, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2, Prometheus).

So for 90% of the principal filming it was shot as a comedy film set in the SW universe, then they brought in Richie goddamn Cunningham to dial all that back and turn it into a scifi action heist with comedy elements. It's no wonder it turned into a forgettable beige atonal mess.

I guess the upside of all that is that it gave Lord & Miller a whole lot more free time to spend on Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse which they co-produced and Lord co-wrote.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 18:55 on May 10, 2020