Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

Trump bragging about rape on camera wasn't enough proof for people I know, because there wasn't tape of him actually doing it, you can't call a man guilty based on a soundbite!

This is the blue version of that.

Right down to the goalposts moving and many of the same arguments. It's amazing. Some have said that Canada is about a decade behind the US when it comes to their politics, but I think the same is true of the Democrats and Republicans. It just took a few years for loyal Democrats to become a mirror image of chuds, at least on this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

A security video showing it happening?

Meh that wouldn't rule out time travel, evil clones, shapeshifters, magickal glamers, hypnosis, etc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Liberals believe in nothing and cannot conceive of a person who is not like them in this regard.

As best I can tell, what they're saying seems to assume that it's intrinsically ridiculous for a person to care about who the Democratic presidential candidate is (because it's basically saying "preferring Bernie Sanders and saying negative things about Biden is rude and bad, for some reason").

Though it's likely this is selectively applied because they have a bizarre complex towards the left. On some level it's probably defensive - they have to assume that the left isn't actually serious about what it believes, because if it was it might imply bad things about them as human beings.

This specific sort of opinion (that it's dumb/bad/rude to have political opinions) seems to be something strangely common among Gen X people. I think it's because they're young enough to have more of an awareness of the differing political perspective among the generations after theirs, whereas boomers are just sort of oblivious most of the time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

As best I can tell, what they're saying seems to assume that it's intrinsically ridiculous for a person to care about who the Democratic presidential candidate is (because it's basically saying "preferring Bernie Sanders and saying negative things about Biden is rude and bad, for some reason").

Though it's likely this is selectively applied because they have a bizarre complex towards the left. On some level it's probably defensive - they have to assume that the left isn't actually serious about what it believes, because if it was it might imply bad things about them as human beings.

This specific sort of opinion (that it's dumb/bad/rude to have political opinions) seems to be something strangely common among Gen X people. I think it's because they're young enough to have more of an awareness of the differing political perspective among the generations after theirs, whereas boomers are just sort of oblivious most of the time.

I think they’re saying that people are only acting disgusted with Biden because they want to replace him with Bernie, like it can’t be that Biden is actually bad because nothing is good or bad aside from winning or losing.

I take your point on gen x, though and don’t know if I’m disagreeing with you here.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

liberals: believe us! we'll hold biden's feet to the fire and push him leftward on all his lovely rightwing tendencies

also liberals: stop believing women!!

I mean, what else is there to say? I guess their plan is to hold Biden's feet to the fire by shielding him from any and all criticism.

Maybe they think that in his fourth year, he'll advocate lowering the Medicare age to 56, as a gesture of thanks.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The two major political parties in the US and the people who defend them have moved so far to the right that they argue about the minutiae of genocides, rapes, and white supremacy and think anyone who doesn’t want to partake in their orgy of death and profits is below them.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Some time in their past, these true believer Democrats were told or became convinced that the Democrats were the party of Good People.

They view themselves as Good, and the Democrats are Good, so they are Democrats. They are Democrats because they are Good, and also, being a Democrat makes them Good. Unlike the Republicans, who are Bad.
Bad people are Republicans, and being a Republican makes you Bad. Otherwise you'd be Good, and a Democrat, like me.
They can't be critical of the Democrats, as a whole or in part, because that might suggest that the Democrats are not good and therefore intimate that they, themselves, are not good. That's impossible, because if they were bad they'd be Republicans -- and they're not! -- they're Democrats.

This explains, in my opinion, the two most common behaviors you see in these threads from the Biden Brigade:
- When something comes up that can't be resolved simply and involves a moral component, they immediately dive right into the weeds in technicalities and rigorous dictionary definitions and other worthless minutiae because if they can convince themselves you are wrong on some sort of technical level, it provides them enough of a buffer that they don't have to interrogate their own position on it. You're technically wrong, therefore I (and the Democrats) must be right (even if technically so), and I am still a good person, and the Democrats are still the party of Good People.

- Eventually they decide that the leftists they're trying to argue with should just go ahead and vote Trump already! Seriously, you must be a Trump lover! Aren't you? DON'T YOU LOVE TRUMP AND WANT HIM TO WIN? YOU DO! ADMIT IT! YOU LOVE TRUMP ADMIT IT NOW ADMIT IT! -- because you are not on the Democrats' side like the good people are, you must not be a good person. They might, for a while, decide they're surrounded by purity-obsessed hyperleft cranks, but eventually they recognize them as bad people. Because you Bernie Bro psychos are clearly not Democrats, like me, you are very obviously bad, like them. You are bad, and the Republicans are the part of bad people, so you are Republicans.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Some time in their past, these true believer Democrats were told or became convinced that the Democrats were the party of Good People.

They view themselves as Good, and the Democrats are Good, so they are Democrats. They are Democrats because they are Good, and also, being a Democrat makes them Good. Unlike the Republicans, who are Bad.
Bad people are Republicans, and being a Republican makes you Bad. Otherwise you'd be Good, and a Democrat, like me.
They can't be critical of the Democrats, as a whole or in part, because that might suggest that the Democrats are not good and therefore intimate that they, themselves, are not good. That's impossible, because if they were bad they'd be Republicans -- and they're not! -- they're Democrats.

This explains, in my opinion, the two most common behaviors you see in these threads from the Biden Brigade:
- When something comes up that can't be resolved simply and involves a moral component, they immediately dive right into the weeds in technicalities and rigorous dictionary definitions and other worthless minutiae because if they can convince themselves you are wrong on some sort of technical level, it provides them enough of a buffer that they don't have to interrogate their own position on it. You're technically wrong, therefore I (and the Democrats) must be right (even if technically so), and I am still a good person, and the Democrats are still the party of Good People.

- Eventually they decide that the leftists they're trying to argue with should just go ahead and vote Trump already! Seriously, you must be a Trump lover! Aren't you? DON'T YOU LOVE TRUMP AND WANT HIM TO WIN? YOU DO! ADMIT IT! YOU LOVE TRUMP ADMIT IT NOW ADMIT IT! -- because you are not on the Democrats' side like the good people are, you must not be a good person. They might, for a while, decide they're surrounded by purity-obsessed hyperleft cranks, but eventually they recognize them as bad people. Because you Bernie Bro psychos are clearly not Democrats, like me, you are very obviously bad, like them. You are bad, and the Republicans are the part of bad people, so you are Republicans.

Or they feel free to ignore issues that are expressed to them by members of vulnerable groups because the only reason to ever bring that up is because you want to score points for the other team

The fact that bringing up this issue results in points for the other team, even in their bizarre calculus, is left unexamined

The fact that they assume all criticism comes from a place of trying to win the game, and not from a place of genuine concern, is also left unexamined

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

COVID-19 posted:

The two major political parties in the US and the people who defend them have moved so far to the right that they argue about the minutiae of genocides, rapes, and white supremacy and think anyone who doesn’t want to partake in their orgy of death and profits is below them.

The Democratic Party has, as a whole, shifted to the left quite a bit over the past 20 years, particularly on issues like healthcare and immigration; there was no way that in 2008, a candidate for the Democratic nomination would entertain the idea of decriminalizing unauthorized border crossings, for example, and proposals for universal healthcare were more inline with Wyden-Bennett than anything resembling a single-payer system with no out of pocket costs, a feature that doesn't even exist in most of the continental European insurance-based multi-payer systems.

But setting those things aside, the Democrats are further right now compared to when, exactly?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

nivdes posted:

there was no way that in 2008, a candidate for the Democratic nomination would entertain
But setting those things aside, the Democrats are further right now compared to when, exactly?

Who cares? That candidate didn’t win.
Also, 1933, for a start.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

nivdes posted:

The Democratic Party has, as a whole, shifted to the left quite a bit over the past 20 years, particularly on issues like healthcare and immigration; there was no way that in 2008, a candidate for the Democratic nomination would entertain the idea of decriminalizing unauthorized border crossings, for example, and proposals for universal healthcare were more inline with Wyden-Bennett than anything resembling a single-payer system with no out of pocket costs, a feature that doesn't even exist in most of the continental European insurance-based multi-payer systems.

Who cares? Biden is a rapist and a warmonger and it's wrong to vote for him.

If you want to go over every single Democrat policy over the past 50 years and take each one apart piece by piece and examine how much they've slid left or right, then you may want to start a thread about it? If you'd rather do that then talk about how Biden is a bloodthirsty cretin with a history of causing pain and death through his terrible policies, I understand.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Illegal immigration wasnt regularly prosecuted as a crime until the early 2000s.

M4all was the standard health care plan for Dems until 1992

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

in every metric, the Dems have veered right, from national security to trade. Anyone who lived thru the aughts saw it firsthand

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

nivdes posted:

Seems like there's at least one person who disagrees with you about whether or not Democrats have moved to the right

quote:

Obama said. "The truth of the matter is that my policies are so mainstream that if I had set the same policies that I had back in the 1980s, I would be considered a moderate Republican."

https://abcnews.go.com/ABC_Univision/Politics/obama-considered-moderate-republican-1980s/story?id=17973080

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

nivdes posted:

They're further right now than they were in 2008, because the person they chose as the more conservative ticket balance is now at the top of the ticket

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Also by getting into the specifics of multi-payer vs. single-payer you're obscuring the fact that Obama was for universal healthcare and Biden is not

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

nivdes posted:

2008, you say

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

nivdes posted:

They talk about doing those things but then they don't. Not that they couldn't but when they get the chance to they choose not to.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

nivdes posted:

That’s sort of the problem though, because you’re admitting that the party could not even bother to run on a moderate social democratic platform for 50 whole loving years, and the people from that 50 year dark age still have 100% control over the party top to bottom. And it’s not a generational thing where once Biden and Schumer and Pelosi are gone it’s all left wingers, they’ve got a full roster of people to run from Buttigieg on out

Shageletic posted:

in every metric, the Dems have veered right, from national security to trade. Anyone who lived thru the aughts saw it firsthand

Jimmy Carter literally refused to sign the single payer bill that Ted Kennedy and the huge Dem majority in Congress put in front of him.

The fact is that the Dems have always been center right party, only pulled left of the center line in exceptional circumstances like the Great Depression and the Civil Rights movement

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

icantfindaname posted:

The fact is that the Dems have always been center right party, only pulled left of the center line in exceptional circumstances like the Great Depression and the Civil Rights movement

And now, finally, they have achieved their destiny and are the party pulling right in a crisis

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Who cares? That candidate didn’t win.
Also, 1933, for a start.

The Democratic Party of 1933 was famously uncompromising, except for that part where they kowtowed to the South by denying federally subsidized mortgages or GI Bill benefits to minorities, the effects of which last to this day.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

nivdes posted:

Well, they've just nominated the most right-wing Democratic Presidential candidate in living memory.

e: And the nature of that nomination shouldn't be overlooked, either. They pulled a shitload of strings and called in a ton of favors to do it, as well. Maybe the Democratic base has moved left, but the people controlling the party have moved to the right, and sadly too much of the base takes them at their word and they have a lot of influence.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 9, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

nivdes posted:

The Democratic Party has, as a whole, shifted to the left quite a bit over the past 20 years,

loving lol. That's such a bunch of bullshit.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I was looking at the accomplishments of the (Dem majority in both houses) Congress elected with Bill Clinton in 92 and it’s loving hilarious. There’s basically nothing there. You can say he put his effort behind the failed healthcare bill but it must be stressed that that bill had no public component whatsoever, literally just a mandate to buy private insurance and some subsidies, that was the whole bill

If Biden’s presidency goes the way every Democratic presidency has gone in the last 50 years, and of course it will, the country is like 95% as hosed in the medium term as if Trump won. I think it might very well kill off the budding left wing political enthusiasm of people under 40, because why even bother at this point?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nivdes posted:

Alternatively, opening his Senate records for public review would give the Trump campaign endless amounts of material to use against him all for the sake of attempting to clear the air over a sexual assault allegation without changing anyone's mind.

you know that the convention hasn't happened yet right

like just open the files then exchange him for a candidate that doesn't suck rear end

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

I was looking at the accomplishments of the (Dem majority in both houses) Congress elected with Bill Clinton in 92 and it’s loving hilarious. There’s basically nothing there. You can say he put his effort behind the failed healthcare bill but it must be stressed that that bill had no public component whatsoever, literally just a mandate to buy private insurance and some subsidies, that was the whole bill

If Biden’s presidency goes the way every Democratic presidency has gone in the last 50 years, and of course it will, the country is like 95% as hosed in the medium term as if Trump won. I think it might very well kill off the budding left wing political enthusiasm of people under 40, because why even bother at this point?

The Wesat Wing really is the show of these people.

The Bartlett Administration accomplishes nothing throughout the entire show.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shageletic posted:

tbf they've started campaigning as progressives(since only progressives actually win elections dem-wise) but they're insanely bad at it

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Yinlock posted:

you know that the convention hasn't happened yet right

like just open the files then exchange him for a candidate that doesn't suck rear end

and didn't win the primary vote

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

nivdes posted:

Considering how hillariously illegitimate the Primaries were, no one won that vote.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
About 3.5% of the countries population voted for Biden.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

COVID-19 posted:

So much fun deciding upon the lesser evil, can't imagine why voter participation is so low - something that only matters in the general. That the primary kicked off with blatant fraud and ended in vote-and-die pandemic well that's just politics.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Joe better announce his VP soon to take the heat off himself

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nivdes posted:

The Democratic Party has, as a whole, shifted to the left quite a bit over the past 20 years,

It only seems like “quite a bit” if you just flat-out ignore how far to the right it moved between the 60’s and the 00’s. And those gains have only been made in spite of the loud opposition of center-right cultists like you.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

socially liberal policies don't equate to any sort of meaningful shift to the left if your economic policies are as dogmatically neoliberal as Thatcher's

e:

Venomous fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 9, 2020

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nivdes posted:

neither did Biden, so sounds like the field is even!!!

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

nivdes posted:

This doesn’t loving mean anything is the point people keep trying to make. You can fool yourself into thinking this was an electorally representative election that will lead directly into a general where Biden cleans shop. You are only fooling yourself if you do that though

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

Joe better announce his VP soon to take the heat off himself

Should delay it as long as possible really, he's going to need all of them clamoring about how very credible he is on women's issues, harassment, and rape. Pick too soon and they have no reason to debase themselves so hideously for personal ambition.

Gosh just imagine where the energy and planning in his campaign is going into.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

nivdes posted:

But he won the game!

The game was rigged.

But it picked him!

The people rigging the game picked him.

But they made a good choice!

He's a bad candidate.

But they're good people!

They're bad people.

But we're stuck with him now!

The people who rigged the game can pick someone else.

But he won the game!

(continue from the top)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I just can't fathom anyone saying "I need more proof" after multiple videos of Biden groping little girls, a court document, five (?) witnesses, seven other accusers, and Biden getting pissy with reporters for bringing up Reade's allegations.

Because they don't want proof, they just want to dismiss it outright and to ignore the actual situation in its entirety.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Survivors have to be perfectly able to cite the exact date and time of their assault, and keep flawless photo/video evidence. Powerful men can blatantly grope women in front of cameras and get away with it as long as they’re deemed Too Important To Cancel. Very cool country and world