Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the guy who has bought like every major flagship phone in the past three years has decided that this is the one he definitely won't be getting

bull3964 posted:

The Pixel 5 may be the first mainline Pixel device I skip because it's pretty much looking like it's going to be "Pixel 4 + 5g via the SD765).

That's not to say that it would make it a bad phone, it's probably the right move if it helps them bring down the price to the $600-$700 range, but it's not going to be an upgrade for anyone with a P4 or any top of the line 2020 device.

I like face unlock too, but the intersection with reality right now is just unfortunate. Face masks are going to be the new normal for at least the next year and likely will be a longer to permanent part of our society for certain activities (like flying). Having face unlock be your only biometric (unless you can get it to work securely with a mask) just isn't going to work anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i've yet to understand the need to have the newest phone all the time. What are you all using your phones for where having the newest increment is necessary?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

i've yet to understand the need to have the newest phone all the time. What are you all using your phones for where having the newest increment is necessary?

a lot of them are suckers for the One New Gimmick every manufacturer sticks in their new phone that you use for a week and then never touch again.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

that emptiness in your soul isn’t going to fill itself

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

that emptiness in your soul isn’t going to fill itself

its this op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

at one point improvements were huge, and people are creatures of habit, even into the current era of things being as likely to get worse.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

at one point improvements were huge, and people are creatures of habit, even into the current era of things being as likely to get worse.

that point was ten years ago

the people in dyp and that guy in particular is literally just trying to fill a hole. in his case theres a bit of forums cred at stake too as there are more than a few people who have defined their entire personality around "gosh guys i just love buying stuff" and they cant walk that back

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
I have disposable income and I like a fresh phone every year because I want the fastest poo poo. With that being said, I have no idea why that dude buys multiple android flagships per year when they are all basically the same down to the chipset, ram, etc. Buying a broke rear end mid ranger every two years sounds like a nightmare.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CoolRanch posted:

I have disposable income and I like a fresh phone every year because I want the fastest poo poo. With that being said, I have no idea why that dude buys multiple android flagships per year when they are all basically the same down to the chipset, ram, etc. Buying a broke rear end mid ranger every two years sounds like a nightmare.

its a disease called a capitalism. i mean yeah i guess if you have the money and spend a lot of time loving around on your phone sure get a new one every year. i dont see a lot of improvement yoy but u b u who cares

the ones that get me are the ones going through the cheapest chinese phones and mvno plans at a rate of like one a month trying to minmax their telecommunications strategy

i go there just to help out people who have trouble with their phones (which are fewer and farther between these days) but honestly the chronic phonebuyers make it so miserable i only check the threads every few days now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LastInLine posted:

its a disease called a capitalism. i mean yeah i guess if you have the money and spend a lot of time loving around on your phone sure get a new one every year. i dont see a lot of improvement yoy but u b u who cares

the ones that get me are the ones going through the cheapest chinese phones and mvno plans at a rate of like one a month trying to minmax their telecommunications strategy

i go there just to help out people who have trouble with their phones (which are fewer and farther between these days) but honestly the chronic phonebuyers make it so miserable i only check the threads every few days now

does clam down still shut down any discussion that contains actual criticism of bad devices?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

carry on then posted:

does clam down still shut down any discussion that contains actual criticism of bad devices?

you can call a device bad but there cant be any discussion around the negative implications of the ecosystem. so sure i can tell you that motorolas have bad cameras but i cant tell you that facebook datamining causes apps to crash. i can tell you that the pixel 4 has a small battery but couldnt point out that chinese phones are backdoored etc

any interesting discussion (which admittedly is super rare) is shut down immediately

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boiled Water posted:

beep boop why does human expend resources on status symbol

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Soricidus posted:

android phones as status symbols? Now I've heard everything

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
sure. same principle as sports cars, they don’t have to be usable or reliable, just flashy and expensive. see: every single foldable

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LastInLine posted:

any interesting discussion (which admittedly is super rare) is shut down immediately

yospos, bithc

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

LastInLine posted:

you can call a device bad but there cant be any discussion around the negative implications of the ecosystem. so sure i can tell you that motorolas have bad cameras but i cant tell you that facebook datamining causes apps to crash. i can tell you that the pixel 4 has a small battery but couldnt point out that chinese phones are backdoored etc

clam down is so bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
four years into the pixel phone line, sales are going not so good

quote:

Google shipped around 2 million units of the Pixel 4 in the first two quarters it was available, at the end of 2019 and beginning of 2020, according to IDC's estimates, a drop from the 3.5 million Pixel 3 and nearly 3 million Pixel 3a models that shipped in the first two quarters of their availability. In the U.S., Google's largest market, it had just 3% market share of the smartphone market last year, said IDC.

also executives are bailing out

quote:

The mastermind behind Google's Pixel camera, Marc Levoy, who last year showed off his team's photography advances during a Google event in New York City, left the company in March. The exit, which hasn't been previously reported, follows the departure of Pixel general manager Mario Queiroz, the second top executive to leave the Pixel orbit in less than a year

but the funniest part is

quote:

At a hardware team all-hands meeting in the fall, ahead of the October launch in New York, Osterloh informed staff about his own misgivings. He told them he did not agree with some of the decisions made about the phone, according to two people who were present at the meeting. In particular, he was disappointed in its battery power.

osterloh is the head of google hardware. he makes the decisions. is he not agreeing with himself?

texts are copied from The Information via https://www.androidcentral.com/mastermind-pixels-excellent-camera-has-left-google

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

how many dollars has google spent trying to make their own phones? if you include their writedowns from motorola it's got to be like 15 billion easy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Soricidus posted:

They're spending money on poorphones though

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

how many dollars has google spent trying to make their own phones? if you include their writedowns from motorola it's got to be like 15 billion easy
google manages to be worse with hardware than apple is with cloud services, gaming, and original content combined

its amazing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

nothing will ever surpass microsoft spending like 100 grand per shipped unit making the kin but those numbers have got to be deep underwater

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qirex posted:

nothing will ever surpass microsoft spending like 100 grand per shipped unit making the kin but those numbers have got to be deep underwater

Was that the big-rear end tableputer?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Clearly a hundred grand per unit well spent, no one even remembers it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Schadenboner posted:

it was the social networking orientated phone they made after buying up Danger
lasted like 2 months

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

no it was super way cool non-smartphones for teens that they only sold for six weeks in 2010 because they were such a flop

they spent over a billion buying danger and designing them and sold several thousand units total

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

idk that its fair to count motorola when they bought them solely for the patents that ended up being worthless

FMguru posted:

google manages to be worse with hardware than apple is with cloud services, gaming, and original content combined

its amazing

while what you say is true it seems less amazing to me from outside the tech sector. googles problem with hardware is the same problem it has everywhere in that there seems to be no consistent direction from the top and that does things like create pointless things no one wants (stadia or nexus q or android tv) or makes everything shift direction every couple years (our phones are development platforms no wait theyre iphone competitors no okay) and due to googles lack of ability to iterate the products they do have languish and disappear rather than get revised to be slightly better at regular intervals

to me its stranger that apple cant make a cloud service since you just have to copy what everyone else is doing than google shipping products that are exactly what you'd expect from a company with adhd and no adults in the room

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

no it was super way cool non-smartphones for teens that they only sold for six weeks in 2010 because they were such a flop

they spent over a billion buying danger and designing them and sold several thousand units total

iirc they tanked the launch and had exclusivity with a carrier no one used, with a mandatory plan that was absolutely terrible for their target market, and they were about a year too late to market

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the microsoft kin by danger? you mean the portable chumby?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

iirc they tanked the launch and had exclusivity with a carrier no one used, with a mandatory plan that was absolutely terrible for their target market, and they were about a year too late to market

their launch partner was verizon the only reason i remember was because it was often cited that it was that contract with verizon that required them to actually launch the phone rather than just kill it

also an obvious way to tell it was verizon is that there was one mandatory plan that no one could afford

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So what happened to the Tableputer?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

google might actually add features to YouTube music this year, maybe even before killing off Google music. which is great because what everyone wants when they listen to music is actually a bunch of videos with weird extra intros and stuff taking up a large portion of the search results

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Schadenboner posted:

So what happened to the Tableputer?

it was called surface*, and it got turned into a digital whiteboard solution for enterprise

*they reused the brand for their tablets years later

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

google might actually add features to YouTube music this year, maybe even before killing off Google music. which is great because what everyone wants when they listen to music is actually a bunch of videos with weird extra intros and stuff taking up a large portion of the search results

wonder what youtube music's successors are shaping up to be like?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
kinda sad about pixel's inevitable demise

I have a 3a and it's had a good telephone / $ proposition. camera is really nice. the battery is too small though

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Last Chance posted:

wonder what youtube music's successors are shaping up to be like?

chrome music

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i wonder what the plan is for stadia

microsoft had to spend a couple billion to break into the game console space 15 years ago, presumably the number would be in the tens of billions today.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

i think i was going to send this to you but i never managed to see whether any of my wife's data is on it or how to wipe it given that the screen is broken

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

i wonder what the plan is for stadia

if it goes by the google playbook, I’d say the plan is to alienate content owners and then abandon it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lysidas posted:

i think i was going to send this to you but i never managed to see whether any of my wife's data is on it or how to wipe it given that the screen is broken

will it even finish booting without the backed services?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

if it goes by the google playbook, I’d say the plan is to alienate content owners and then abandon it

oh, no, that was a rim product