Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If that one ship the US has been testing out is any indication, the carrier will not be attacked due to the futuristic gun rounds costing literally a million dollars each https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Gun_System?wprov=sfla1

If "they wouldn't bankrupt themselves to actually fight us!" was a valid strategy everyone would do it. Sadly, many governments have no problem racking up kabillions in debt to kill people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

piratepilates posted:

the good news: the world is getting closer to a star trek utopia

the bad news: we won't be part of the star trek utopia, we're right before the khan and cochrane parts

But hey, we get to explore the solar system in DY-100s for a while before it all goes kablooey, so at least we've got that to look forward to.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Just watched "Mirror, Mirror" with a friend. How long do you guys think it took for Spock to realize Kirk wasn't Kirk? My friend's idea is that stepping off a transporter pad and doing a nazi salute would've raised enough eyebrows.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Just watched "Mirror, Mirror" with a friend. How long do you guys think it took for Spock to realize Kirk wasn't Kirk? My friend's idea is that stepping off a transporter pad and doing a nazi salute would've raised enough eyebrows.

Such a good comedy moment of Kirk worrying about the mischief Mirror Kirk might be up to immediately cutting to Spock throwing him in the brig.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He wouldn't salute first, because he's the senior officer. But depending on just how poor his impulse control was, he might well have immediately thrown a tantrum over not being saluted.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

But hey, we get to explore the solar system in DY-100s for a while before it all goes kablooey, so at least we've got that to look forward to.

Sign me up for the cryo-satellite that gets thrown out of orbit and drifts for 300 years before being discovered by the ship full of super-advanced post-scarcity pan-species peaceniks plz

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

McSpanky posted:

Sign me up for the cryo-satellite that gets thrown out of orbit and drifts for 300 years before being discovered by the ship full of super-advanced post-scarcity pan-species peaceniks plz

That episode is so dumb. Like come on man you don't have anyone in your 1,000 person ship complement that might want to like, take those people around and give them the down low on the 24th Century? Like, the 20th century historian you inexplicably have on board??? I mean I know it wouldn't be much of an episode or whatever but the conceit of finding people who have been frozen since our time was far too interesting to be relegated to the b-plot in an otherwise uninteresting episode.

No I'm not bitter about this wasted premise every single time I see this episode why do you ask?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

DrNutt posted:

That episode is so dumb. Like come on man you don't have anyone in your 1,000 person ship complement that might want to like, take those people around and give them the down low on the 24th Century? Like, the 20th century historian you inexplicably have on board??? I mean I know it wouldn't be much of an episode or whatever but the conceit of finding people who have been frozen since our time was far too interesting to be relegated to the b-plot in an otherwise uninteresting episode.

No I'm not bitter about this wasted premise every single time I see this episode why do you ask?
Imagine that basically the bridge crew was so fukken bored that they took in these old time hicks for fun just for something to do besides the loving fish people ambassadors fighting those dog fucks

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

jeeves posted:

Imagine that basically the bridge crew was so fukken bored that they took in these old time hicks for fun just for something to do besides the loving fish people ambassadors fighting those dog fucks

Yeah and if they didn't have the a plot of the neutral zone poo poo going on that would work and be a fine episode

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DrNutt posted:

That episode is so dumb.

idk man the good ol' boy drunkard who replicates a martini and a guitar is pretty good

I'm reasonably sure the evil banker rear end in a top hat showed up again somewhere in beta canon.

Edit: oh yeah apparently multiple times even. One novel has him serving as Federation ambassador to the Ferengi Alliance (fuckin' what), another one about Khan's origin story makes him responsible for funding the scientists who created Khan in 1970, and another has him as Federation Secretary of Commerce :psyduck:

And re: ol' Sonny Clemonds:

quote:

The Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations book Watching the Clock reveals that he and Clare Raymond had a one-night stand, more to comfort each other over their shared fates than anything else. He also made a career out of singing obscure old Earth songs across the galaxy.

God beta canon is weird sometimes and I love it.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 9, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think he’s the Federation ambassador to Ferenginar, which is honestly kinda clever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean I liked those dorks it just felt like the whole concept of the episode was wasted with bad writing, weird tangents, and a lackluster a plot but tbf that does describe a lot of the 1st two seasons.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Neutral Zone was, I believe, right about the time the writer's strike hit, so even if they were aware the script needed more polish they weren't able to fix it.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I was inspired by the delta fliers to start re-watching voyager I’m ahead on parallax and ho boy the techno-babble. But at least it’s not the main story I liked the Torres stuff. Oh and tiny doc at the end that owned.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m midway through S2 of TNG and boy a lot of this is just super painful. When does it get better? S3?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Seasons 3-5 are just hit after hit with very few stinkers.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Arivia posted:

I’m midway through S2 of TNG and boy a lot of this is just super painful. When does it get better? S3?

Season 3 is the best single season of Star Trek there ever was. Sure there are a few mediocre ones in there but man, the rest are just all super memorable and good.

TNG peaks at Season 3, then has a really long, good plateau for seasons 4 and 5, and then starts to slope downwards until the finale.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Are you saying that TNG Season 7, the season with the Howard Family Sex Ghost, really lovely de-evolution, and a cellular peptide cake might not be the best season of Star Trek?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Drone posted:

TNG peaks at Season 3, then has a really long, good plateau for seasons 4 and 5, and then starts to slope downwards until the finale.

And thank gently caress the finale knocked it out of the park.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

And thank gently caress the finale knocked it out of the park.

Yeah, the Best of Both Worlds is great.

It's just the same thing as why I'd never seen In The Pale Moonlight before; I've been a fan, but I've never sat down and watched any of the series completely end to end. I know it's good, but watching stuff like The Outrageous Okona is being done with my head in my hands out of sheer embarrassment.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

curiousTerminal posted:

Are you saying that TNG Season 7, the season with the Howard Family Sex Ghost, really lovely de-evolution, and a cellular peptide cake might not be the best season of Star Trek?

I like the cellular peptide cake episode

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

curiousTerminal posted:

You're forgetting about the bad murder mystery episode.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You're forgetting about the bad murder mystery episode.

Has there legit ever been a good Star Trek murder mystery episode?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Been watching DS9 and the noir-esque one about Odo's time investigating on behalf of the Cardassians during the occupation was pretty drat good, imo. Especially when he finally finds out whodunnit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The Conscience of the King

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

skasion posted:

The Conscience of the King

It's a good episode but it's obvs whodunit in that one.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Been watching DS9 and the noir-esque one about Odo's time investigating on behalf of the Cardassians during the occupation was pretty drat good, imo. Especially when he finally finds out whodunnit.

Oh yeah, that one was really good.

As for Conscience of the King, I could never make it through that one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The trouble with a murder mystery is you’d have to have a mostly unknown dramatis personae because obviously the murderer isn’t going to be Riker or Dax or Saru.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

The trouble with a murder mystery is you’d have to have a mostly unknown dramatis personae because obviously the murderer isn’t going to be Riker or Dax or Saru.

improved ds9 season 7 where every time ezri solves a murder, it was garak, and everyone shrugs it off

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There are a bunch of columbo episodes with shatner in them

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

City on the Edge of Forever is kind of a reverse-murder mystery.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tighclops posted:

I love that the guest villains in Columbo are A: generally famous in their own right (Leonard Nimoy was another Trek-themed killer), and B: often come back as different characters so Columbo can catch them again. Patrick McGoohan played four different bad guys!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

pft. you should see mrs. columbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zykxt65Kps

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
We're finally starting season 5 on our TNG binge now, and I'd have to say that so far I definitely feel like it's the best the show has been. And since I think this is the point where I actually started regularly watching it as a kid, I know there's more really great stuff ahead. I can definitely see season 4 being weaker than 3, but 5 is at least off to a great start. Even a fairly lame episode like "The Game" has a TOS charm to it, rather than just sheer boredom.

Speaking of "The Game" I finally had the answer to the question my wife asked halfway through "Up the Long Ladder": "So when does Gene Roddenberry die?"

Somehow "The Game" feels cosmically aligned to be Roddenberry's epitaph, even though it only happened coincidentally by airdate. It has Risa, everyone acting vaguely horny, Wesley getting some action...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
S5 has Darmok, Cause and Effect and Inner Light which are all top-five episodes in the show for me. I really don’t agree that the show peaked in S3. It’s the first season that doesn’t feel half assed but they definitely refined it over the next couple years. The first episode that really makes me feel like the show was on the way down is Aquiel in S6, but even that comes right before the Romulan Troi episode which is awesome.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I think seasons 5-6 are remembered fondly because that's when the show really dug into a consistent tone we'd come to associate with TNG. Season 5 is really solid and has some major gems, but that's also when they started doing stuff like "Unification" and the series kind of became about itself to some extent. Season 3 is just wall-to-wall enjoyable self-contained adventures.

Season 6 has some great stuff, but it also has some of the most vanilla installments of the series, like Birthright and that Dr. Crusher murder mystery one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think seasons 5-6 are remembered fondly because that's when the show really dug into a consistent tone we'd come to associate with TNG. Season 5 is really solid and has some major gems, but that's also when they started doing stuff like "Unification" and the series kind of became about itself to some extent. Season 3 is just wall-to-wall enjoyable self-contained adventures.

Season 6 has some great stuff, but it also has some of the most vanilla installments of the series, like Birthright and that Dr. Crusher murder mystery one.

Honestly I think that's what's throwing me. I'm used to watching TNG as disjointed episodes in reruns or whatever, just this familiar blanket of science-fiction-y goodness that I really liked as a kid. S2 isn't tonally, consistently there yet; S1 felt a lot like TOS (understandably). I have this nostalgic desire to kind of fastforward to the show really burgeoning into a franchise and a brand again, when I'm six and flipping through my copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia. S2 just isn't there yet for me, there are good episodes but it's not my familiar 90s Trek yet.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I agree, Season 5 is what people think of when they think of The Next Generation's overall tone. It's the apex of Trek as comfort food, and not in a bad microwave dinner way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
trek is a gentle lover